Friends

The One with the Joke

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 13, 2000 on NBC

• Not as good as Friends can be.

Another fantastic episode but by far not as good as Friends can be. A joke is published in Playboy that Ross and Chandler both claim ownership of, Monica falls out with Phoebe and Joey starts working at Central Perk. The plot is good, but somehow it just isn't that funny. Probably the funniest part is the Monica / Rachel / Phoebe storyline, where they ask each other which one of them they'd go on a date with. Monica and Rachel don't choose anyone, but Phoebe picks Rachel, which irritates Monica. Overall the episode is still brilliant, but it is a disappointment compared to recent Friends episodes.
  • Perhaps not the most memorable episode, but still very funny.

TOW the Joke is not one of those episodes you remember long after you've seen it. Nothing much really happened, even Joey working at Central Perk seemed pretty light weight. Still it was quite funny and had some good scenes.

Ross and Chandler spend larger part of the episode arguing over who came up with a joke about a monkey doctor. Although it does get too infantile at times there are a lot of funny scenes concerning this. I especially liked the scene where they make a big deal about it to Monica and ask her to decide who made it up, and she ends up telling them that they are both idiots and that the joke sucks. Ross and Chandler continue to argue over who came up with the joke, only this time neither wants to take credit for it.

The girls talk about who they would date if they had to date one of the other two. Monica gets upset when Phoebe picks Rachel and spends larger parts of the episode obsessing over this. Phoebe's claim that Monica is high maintenence upsets her a lot, and when Chandler agrees to it she gets even more upset. Chandler however explains to her that being high maintenance doesn't have to be a bad thing and that he likes that quality in her. Phoebe suddenly finds Monica very attractive.

Joey meanwhile begins to work at Central Perk to make some money. A storyline with little comedy and little weight. We've already seen Rachel as a waitress at the coffe house, they have pretty much exhausted the storyline of a Friend working there. And they couldn't provide anything new to the Joey angle, so it all just felt pointless.

One of my favorite scenes in this episode is with Monica and Chandler in bed. Monica is obsessing over Phoebe picking Rachel and Chandler is obsessing over Ross stealing his joke. They both keep going on and on about the thing that bugs them. What I like about this scene is that even though they are both so preoccupied with their own line of thought they are still listening to each other and manage to have a conversation. It was a nice touch which shows how close they are, and that even though their own issue is driving them crazy they still care about what the other one is talking about.
  • Good, but not great

In "The One With the Joke", Ross and Chandler fight over a joke that Ross had published in Playboy, both of them claiming that it's "their" joke. Janine has moved out of Joey's apartment, and because he can't pay the bills, he gets a job at Central Perk. Monica, Phoebe, and Rachel ask each other who they would date out of the three of them. Monica and Rachel are undecided, but Phoebe says she would date Rachel. This, of course, causes a huge conflict between the three girls. Phoebe finally admits that she thinks that Rachel is a "push-over" and Monica is "high maintenance". Rachel and Monica argue back, saying that Phoebe is "flaky", to which she agrees. I believe that this episode could have been done better, but it was still a good one.
  • Chandler and Ross fight over ownership of a joke published in Playboy. A wayward remark of Phoebe's leads to trouble between the girls and a broke Joey starts working at Central Perk.

Great episode. The joke did suck! I agree with Monica that is was bad but Chandler's other jokes were funny when he said them in the coffee shop. Monica and Ross seem left out because Phoebe chooses Rachel, and Chandler chooses Joey but I thought it would be the other way around and Chanlder would choose Ross and Phoebe choose Monica because they knew each other longer. Monica and Chandler don't seem as close as before. Joey has to work at central perk. Its not that bad that Joey works there. Joey is so funny. He stays the night at Monica and Chandler's watching t.v.

• "He stole my joke. You know what? I'm going to get a joke journal. Y'know? And document the date and time of every single one of my jokes." - Chandler

This episode was okay. It wasn't the best but it had some good jokes. Ross is very happy because Playboy printed a joke he sent in (are there jokes in Playboy?) Chandler however get's very mad because he thinks he made up the joke. They fight about this the entire episode untill they ask Monica to decide whose joke it is. She makes it clear that the joke, well sucks.
    The girls are looking at a Playboy which brings up the question if you had to pick one of us to date who would you pick? Monica is not happy that Phoebe chooses Rachel and demands a list and go through it point by point. I love it when Monica get's all competitive.
    Joey gets a job at Central Perk, I wonder if he's a better waiter then Rachel.
    My favorite part in this episode was when Monica and Chandler are in bed together and they listen to each other without listening to each other. The ending was also funny when they ask the guys who they would date and Chandler says Joey.
  • Rachel is a pushover.

I think the only interesting plot in this episode, was the running gag about Rachel being a pushover. Also all the running gags about Monica being high maintenance. Which is so true, but I like how they took a conversation and turned it in to a whole plot. Chandler & Ross's plot was kind of tiring, that plot wasn't really developing and everything turned out the same in the end anyway. I'm on Chandler's side though. Joey's plot was the beginning of a new arc. Which is Joey working at Central Perk, which in comparison to Rachel, their both bad waiters! Poor Gunther. An eh episode.