Friends

The One with the Monkey

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 15, 1994 on NBC

• Ross arrives at the New Year's Eve party with his new companion, a monkey named Marcel, who is more compatible with the group than he is. (DVD Summary)

A fantastically funny episode. Ross gets a monkey friend, named Marcel. The gang makes a pact to not bring date to the New Year's Eve party which they all end up breaking, except Ross and his monkey. Chandler brings back the hilariously annoying Janice, Phoebe meets the ever important David, Monica gives Fun Bobby another go, Joey picks up a single mom while acting as an elf, and Rachel sticks with Paolo. Of course mayhem ensues, leaving all the friends dateless by midnight, the time to kiss, culminating in Chandler and Joey's first kiss! A fine example of Friends at its best in season one.
  • "Pathic, that's transcript for really cool way to live"

THis is the episdoe where we meet David the scientist guy. Phoebe is singing in Central Perk and meets David there. It's nearing New Years Eve and the gang makes a no date pack. But Chandler ends up asking Janice, Phoebe invites david, Ross brings Marcel his monkey, Rachel trys to beign Paolo and Monica invites funny bobby.

Funny Bobby isn't so fun since his grandpa just died. Paolo missed his flight so Rachel ends up with out a date and slugs a woman at the airport. David as to go to Minsk for work so he leaves Phoebe before the ball drops. Chandler breaks up with Janice again.
  • Very funny episode

Pheobe meets a man, who for her is just perfect! They immediatly click and have a great time together! Only problems is he gets a fellowship in Minsk where he would go for several years, Pheobe is devasted and she must make a very VERY important decision when he decides he would rather stay with her in New York then fly out to Minsk doing what he has always wanted to do! In the end she decides that she needs to let him go, so he goes to Minsk to do his fellowship and she is left in New York!
  • Chandler: Hey, that monkey's got a Ross on its ass!

Ross arrives at the New Year's Eve party with his new companion, a monkey named Marcel, who seems to take no interest in Ross at all. The gang makes and breaks a pact to celebrate New Year's Eve without dates. Ross compensates for his loneliness by getting a roommate - a monkey named Marcel whom everyone adores. (Well, everyone except Monica, who can't get past the feces-throwing thing.) Phoebe faces a difficult decision when she meets a shy physicist who's thinking about giving up a fellowship in Minsk to stay with her. IWhat can I say about this episode? I love it so much, everything about it is so funny and just awesome. One of the best episode in season one. I could watch this episode over and over again.
  • Awesome.

• Fine.

Okay. This was a really important episode for Phoebe and for Ross. There are 3 storylines in this episode, they are; Phoebe meets a shy physicist named David, and falls totally in love with him, and him with her. His colleague, Max gets himself and David a fellowship in Minsk, and David has to face a difficult decision whether or not to take it and leave Phoebe behind in New York. Ross is feeling lonely, living by himself for the first time in his life, he decides it isn't cool to get a room-mate, so instead gets a monkey. Everyone except Monica loves him. Meanwhile, its New Years Eve and they all make a no-date pact which everyone except Ross breaks, but none of them turn out. Chandler with Janice, they break up. Monica with Fun Bobby, who turns out to be not so fun. Joey with Sandy, who makes out with someone else. Rachel with Paolo, who abandons her. Phoebe with David, the love of her life.
  • The gang creates and ends a pact to celebrate New Year's Eve without dates. Ross gets a monkey named Marcel. Phoebe is stuck with a hard choice when she meets a physicist whos going to Minisk

Wow! Amazing! Fabulos! Great! Awesome! Are just 5 words that might come out of your mouth after this wowing show. A must see TV show episode with a monkey in it! The group makes a deal to not get a date for New Year's Ever but all end up breaking it when they all get dates for the special night, New Year's Eve. Ross decides on a monkey to fill his loneliness. Have you seen this episode? If so you know what I'm talking about. If not, you should get on it right awy because it's really that amazing good.
  • First Sitcom/ Monkey Show

The gang makes and breaks a pact to celebrate New Year's Eve without dates. Ross compensates for his loneliness by getting a roommate - a monkey named Marcel whom everyone adores. Well, everyone except Monica, who can't get past the faeces-throwing thing. And Phoebe faces a difficult decision when she meets a shy physicist who's thinking about giving up a fellowship in Minsk to stay with her.

Meet Marcel, the first ever monkey to star in a comedy sitcom as big as Friends!
  • Friends is saved by this wonderful episode that introduces us to Marcel, Ross' new pet. The gang decides to have a "dateless" New Year's, but the plans turn awry when each person, minus Ross, gets a date instead.

Gotta hand it to the writers of the show. Any show that can add a monkey to a show without making it jump the shark must get kudos. So, Kudos! It is truly a wonderfully funny episode, especially the interaction between Ross & Marcel. At the New Year's party, Ross brings Marcel as his date and complains about how the two are fighting and trying to make things work, and he is dead serious when he says it. At the party, everyone has a disasterous time. Chandler wishes he never brought his ex-girlfriend Janice, because she thinks they are getting back together. Joey brings a woman he met in the store, and she brings alone her two kids. Monica brings "Fun Bobby" who is "Sad Bobby" because his grandfather died and he can't get a flight until the following day. Rachel's date Paolo couldn't get a flight from Rome and Phoebe's boyfriend David has to leave for a 3 year stint doing research in Minsk.
  • New Years.

The first New Year episode of Friends. I feel like this show needed a Christmas episode to go along with it but whatever. It was still a funny episode how they incorporated the monkey in to the episode. And Janice returns. She is my favorite recurring character. Kind of messed up how Chandler broke up with her ion the end. I like how the monkey was like Ross' girlfriend, or roommate. Another thing that I liked about this episode is that everyone ended up dateless like planned in the beginning. It was pretty much fate. The gay kiss at the end, was hilarious!
  • ...

This was a really funy episode and seems to be getting more funny by the episode, the name is a really good, and well named episode, with the most funny character there can be as well as most random character, THE MONKEY! Which I found brilliant and a real good plot to the episode. This was a really funy episode and seems to be getting more funny by the episode, the name is a really good, and well named episode, with the most funny character there can be as well as most random character, THE MONKEY! Which I found brilliant and a real good plot to the episode.
  • All the Friends make a pact to not bring dates to the annual New Year's party, and then each one breaks the pact for various reasons. The TRUE highlight of the show is the first appearance of Scientist Guy - who Phoebe ultimately should have married.

Having made a pact to not bring dates to their New Year's party, Monica decides to bring "Fun Bobby", Joey meets a pretty elf at the department store and invites her to the shindig, Rachel finds out that Paulo can make it to New York after all, Chandler breaks down (because of all the pressure of needing someone to kiss at midnight) and invites Janice, Phoebe is, of course, bringing her new love Scientist Guy (Hank Azario), and so Ross decides to bring his new roommate and pet, Marcel (a monkey) to the gathering.

Phoebe met Scientist Guy a few weeks back when she was playing guitar at Central Perk, and he and his friend were talking too loudly while she was trying to sing. The scene where she forces David (Scientist Guy)to tell everyone what he and his friend were talking about is hysterical, and the same can be said for the slow blossoming of their relationship. Indeed, the scene before their first kiss, where David says he feels he needs to sweep off the counter and then take Phoebe on top, but then he pauses before each item for different reasons ('well, this is just really expensive', 'this was a gift') and Phoebe blurts out that now he's basically just tidying up is a classic.(Much, much funnier than what I just wrote.)

In any case, the two of them fall in love and when the opportunity comes up for David to go to Minsk to research a special project, he decides (well, forces Phoebe to decide) to stay in NYC with her.

At the party, everyone's plans break down. Joey's cute date turns out to be a single mom who brought her two kids with her to the party, Janice mistakenly thinks that Chandler wants to restart a new relationship (as opposed to this one date - "kill me... seriously, kill me now"), "Fun Bobby's" grandfather passes away and since he can't get a flight out to his family, he comes to the party in tears, Paulo misses his flight and Rachel, while waiting at the airport, gets into a fight at the taxi stand that may have caused her to break a tooth, and Ross' monkey leaves his side the minute he walks into the apartment.

The saddest moment occurs, however, when it becomes clear to Phoebe just how much David truly wants this research opportunity and the two of them kiss and part before New Year's because "I don't want to start a New Year with you if I know I'm going to have to leave..."

Scientist Guy is an amazing character - this is true whenever we see him over the years - and it still amazes me that the writers thought that Phoebe would be better with Mike than with David. It is a joy to watch him act.
  • Great

The gang makes and breaks a pact to celebrate New Year's Eve without dates. Ross compensates for his loneliness by getting a roommate - a monkey named Marcel whom everyone adores. (Well, everyone except Monica, who can't get past the feces-throwing thing.) Phoebe faces a difficult decision when she meets a shy physicist who's thinking about giving up a fellowship in Minsk to stay with her. I liked this one people didnt like the monkey but I thought Marcel made up for some good little storylines and jokes in season 1. It was also good to see Janice back in this episode little did we know at the time that she would appear in evry season of Friends.
  • The gang makes a pact of not going to New Year's Eve with a date,but everyone break it.

Christmas is approaching and nobody has a date for the New Year's Eve, so Chandler says that they should do a pact of going alone to it and everyone accepts. Phoebe meets a physicist who was invited to work in Minsk, but he doesn't want to go because he is in love with her. Ross introduces his monkey Marcel to the gang and everybody loves it except Monica, who can't stand it bexcause he is gross. Chandler invites Janice to the New Year,and she thinks he is dating her. Phoebe invites David and Rachel invites Paolo. Joey invites his date, but he discovers that she has two kids with her.
  • very funny

7.1
    The gang makes and breaks a pact to celebrate New Year\'s Eve without dates. Ross compensates for his loneliness by getting a roommate - a monkey named Marcel whom everyone adores but Marcel doesnt seem to take well to Ros much to his dissapiontment. Well, everyone except Monica, who can\'t get past the faeces-throwing thing and the fact that ther monkey keeps touching her ladels and spoons. And Phoebe faces a difficult decision when she meets a shy physicist who\'s thinking about giving up job in Minsk to stay with her has phoebe finally found true love or will he leave.