Friends

The One with the Morning After (2)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 20, 1997 on NBC

• A fantastic episode that became the basis of a huge storyline that affected the following 7 years of the show.

I think this is an episode that made Friends what it is. How many times after this episode did we hear Ross yell "We were on a break!"? I think it became the episode that changed Friends forever. Without "TO The Morning After", we would never have been able to see how Ross and Rachel's relationship changed. In some ways this is the episode that ruined fans' dreams of how they wanted Friends to turn out. We had already sat through 2 years of Rachel/Ross "will they won't they" and now we had to sit through another 7. Without this Friends would have lost its biggest plotline and we wouldn't have been able to yell at the TV in those moments when they both came so close to telling each other how they really felt, like "TO At The Beach", "TOW Ross' Wedding", "TOW The Birth" and all the other times. This storyline didn't come to a head until "The Last One" when Ross and Rachel were finally able to be reunited. Also the acting in this episode was exceptional; you could really see both sides and my favourite moment was when Ross ran into Central Perk and turned round to see Rachel sitting in the window. The expression on her face was full of so much hurt and it really drew me in. Overall an absolutely fantastic episode. *****