Friends

The One with the Mugging

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 13, 2003 on NBC

• A very even episode, really funny and really balanced.

Friends, just like most sit-coms, became less and less funny over the years and relied more and more on jokes on previous happenings or character traits. TOW the Mugging is a brilliant episode which works great as a stand-alone, filled with great comedy and some fine writing. It felt like it could have appeared in any season. One of the best episodes of this season.

I loved the storyline with Phoebe and Ross. I have always liked those two together, actually I thought they would make a great couple, but even as friends they have great chemistry. I loved seeing the scene with the two of them in the beginning of the episode, where they are walking closely like that and Phoebe suggests they have dinner. We so rarely get to see much of the friendship between these two. Phoebe's discovery that she once mugged Ross was really funny, and it was great to get that tie between them. It seems now Joey is the only one who doesn't have a tie before moving in with a member of the group. And it was both sweet and funny to see Phoebe trying to make nice with Ross, and that she saved his comic strip all those years. I really liked this storyline.

Chandler's hard time at his new job was pretty entertaining. I liked that they acknowledged that starting a whole new carreer at 30+ isn't always so easy, and that it might be difficult to be so much older than the others. Chandler's attempts to come up with a good slogan for the roller sneakers were quite hilarious. On a side-note, I couldn't help but notice that Chandler's boss is Hooch from "Scrubs"!

Joey's acting gig was the least funny storyline of the episode, but it still worked quite well. Jeff Goldblum was a miscast IMHO, but the rest of it was funny. The only thing I don't really get is how come Joey is always claimed to be such a bad actor but when we see him on "Days of our Lives" he appears to be quite good. Not to mention the acting he did for Chandler when he told him that Monica had left him back in season six...

In the end, I really only have one question though conserning this episode. Chandler met with the guy at the advertising firm a long time ago, how is it that he didn't get a job until this episode?