Friends

The One with the Pediatrician

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 10, 2002 on NBC

• One of the best from season nine.

My favorite thing about this episode was the storyline with Chandler and Monica. It wasn't the funniest of storylines, but I thought it was sweet, interesting and charming. Initially Monica has no plans of staying in New York when Chandler goes to Tulsa, but when she is given a great job offer she can't help but accept it. I can understand why she chose to stay, it's not like Chandler is leaving to pursuit his dream carreer and it's a great chance for Monica to advance in hers. Chandler seems to realise this and accept it, in spite of an initial remark that while he is more important to her than her current job, he's less important than her new one. Monica however assures him before he leaves that he is the most important thing in her life, but this is just something she's got to do. The storyline brings a few laugh but also some feel-good moments.

The storyline I thought was the second best in this episode was the one with Rachel's search for a new pediatrician. To be honest I didn't like most of it; I think it was just too ridiculous with Ross still seeing his pediatrician (and wanting a lollipop!) but there is one scene which really lifts it. The scene where Rachel keeps calling Dr. Weener in the middle of the night was hilarious, much thanks to the excellent comic performance by Jennifer Aniston. It's some of her best work, throughout the entire course of the show. The lines weren't that funny, but Aniston made them funny.

The last storyline of the episode was okay, but not as good as the other two. It is however the first appearence of Phoebe's future husband. I felt the whole thing with Joey and Phoebe setting each other up on dates was kind of dull, and surely Joey would have fessed up before dragging along some guy he doesn't even know. I did however get a good laugh from the scene where Mike plays air piano.