Friends

The One with the Princess Leia Fantasy

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 16, 1996 on NBC

• An average season opener.

7.4
    This episode is not one of the best, but it's far from one of the worst. It's a medium episode, with some interesting scenes.

Joey has to try and get along with Janice, since Chandler is now in love with her. What he really wants to do is break her and Chandler up, but Joey has always proven to be a real friend and this is no exception. Even though he loathes Janice he makes an effort to get along with her, for Chandler's sake. Chandler seems quite disappointed with Joey's negative thoughts of Janice, but towards the end he seems to appreciate that Joey at least tried. Can't ask for more than that, right?

Meanwhile Rachel wants Ross to tell her about one of his sexual fantasies so that she can reenact it for him. Ross finds it a bit awkward, but finally tells her about a fantasy he's had with Princess Leiah in a gold bikini. Rachel tells Phoebe about it and Ross is upset, which is no wonder. I really don't like Rachel in this episode, for somehow she turns it around on Ross and makes him be the one who's wrong. She's just blabbered about something that is very personal to him and she can't own up to that but has to pin it on him. One of the biggest reasons why I didn't like Ross and Rachel together was that she always did this to him, made him take the blame even when she had done something bad to him.

While all of this is going on, Monica is going through the early stages of break-up anxiety over Richard. The storyline makes sense, as anyone would be devastated after breaking up for a reason that has nothing to do with love or trust, but unfortunately this storyline got too depressing for a sit-com. And I found it pretty weird that in the opening scene she is happy and acting like normal, when she's in such a depressed state in the rest of the episode.

The storyline picks up though towards the end, when Jack Geller shows up to see how she is doing. While Judy Geller was a terrible mother, Jack always seemed to care a lot about Monica, and I love the little glimpses we get of that.