Friends

The One with the Sonogram at the End

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 1994 on NBC

• Awesome.

Ross finds out his estranged lesbian wife and her girlfriend are going to have his baby. Another awesome episode frim "Friends". This episode wasn't as good as the Pilot but it is still very good. In this episode too there is so many good lines, I mean in every episode of "Friends" there is always great lines, thats why I love the show. Anyway, I love this episode it's so funny when Ross, Susan and Carol are in the hospital, a awesome scene. This episode is a really funny one and I love it every time I watch it. All in all awesome episode.
  • Ross finds out his estranged lesbian wife and her girlfriend are going to have his baby. (DVD Summary)

The second episode, as in any television series, is all about character development. We see how much Ross loves Rachel and how unsure he is of fatherhood. We see Monica's anal retentiveness and her relationship with her parents. We see Rachel's attempt to move on from Barry. We see Chandler's sense of humor and need to be "the funny guy". We see more of Phoebe's free spirit and discover her "relationship" with her identical twin. With Joey, however, we only really see his love of food. (The character of Joey remains undeveloped until the second season.)

Even with the necessary character development that occurs in this episode, the writers and actors still manage to show the gang's affection for each other, and even make us laugh. It truly was another great episode.
  • A number of surprises...

are revealed on this episode! We see that Ross at his work and his ex wife approach him to tell him she is pregnant with his baby... leaving an EXTREMELY stunned ross left behind! Rachel rings the guy she left at the alter to find out that he went on their honeymoon while she pitys on him it comes clear that he did not go alone. . . instead he took her maid of honour, her best friend, with him! Rachel is obviously hurt about this betrayel by both her ex fiance aswell as her best freind ! ! !
  • Carol is pregnat

Ross finds out his ex-wife (Carol) is pregnant, and he has to attend the sonogram along with Carol's lesbian life-partner, Susan. Ugly Naked Guy gets a thigh-master. Ross and Monica's parents come for dinner, which stresses Monica out. Ross and Rachel console each other. Rachel returns the ring to Barry, who is much less upset about the break-up than expected.
  • Excellent Geller parents.

This episode introduces us to the Geller parents and is absolutely brilliant because of it. We are able to see Monica’s obsessive nature and be entertained by how her parents make her feel better about herself, telling her that because she was chubby and had no friends she would never get cancer. (Thanks for the support, Jack). I also love the Gellers for always assuming it was Monica’s fault – like when Ross tried to explain his situation with Carol and Judy turns to Monica and says, “And you knew about this?” It was brilliant. The whole scene with Susan, Carol and Ross at the hospital was funny too and it was great to see the threesome react – all not really feeling comfortable with the situation. But when Ross sees the sonogram at the end and wells up – I well up too. How many other shows can you feel so connected to the characters after only two shows that you start crying along with them?
  • excellent

This is an excellent episode of friends. It's the 2nd episode ever. There was some very funny lines in it, and there is quite a lot of character development still going on as its just the 2nd episode. In this episode, Ross finds out that his lesbian ex-wife is pregnant with his child. He goes to the hospital with Carol, and her lesbian lover Susan. At the end of the show he shows the sonogram to the gang. Meanwhile, Rachel sees Barry and gives him back her wedding ring (after losing it in Monica's lasagne) and finds out that he went on their honeymoon with her best friend. Monica also gets frantic preparing for a visit from her parents. A very good episode.
  • Joey: All right, when did ya have it on last? Phoebe: Doy! Probably right before she lost it! Chandler: You don't get a lot of "doy" these days

• Loves it!

I love this episode! Absolutly love it! It shows alot about Ross "Gee that glaciers getting close" and Carol, the whole Wilick-Bunch thing makes me laugh everytime! You're not sure if Susan is just evil or if Ross is just being irrational. Which in my opion he isn't, it's not even her child in the first place. However this sets the whole Ross VS Susan thing up for the rest of the show which is great cause you just love how the writters... well write it! Also this is the first episode where we see how much Monica and Ross' parents don't like Monica but yet they addore Ross! It also let's us meet Barry, and we don't like him, well I don't! Great episode which starts of hundreds of new jokes that are carried on throughtout the show!
  • Loves it!

• It was a good episode

Ross learns that his ex-wife is pregnant with his babyand that her and her lesbian life partner are gonna raise it. Rachel has to go return the engagement ring to Barry her ex but it missing, when did she have it last when she was putting on the lasana noodles for Monica they have to go digging through the lasagna to find it which isn't good because Monica's parents are coming over and she's already stressing because they always have something wrong to say. Ross comes back and tells them about his ex-wife being pregnant. When Rachel gives back the engagement ring to Barry she finds out that he went on their honeymoon to aruba with her best friend and maid of honor Mindy and that he now really likes her. When Monica's parents come there saying bad things about how pasta's easy to make which she had to replac the lasagna with because she has no time when Ross comes in to have dinner with them. He's there star child so she begs him to tell him abouthow his wife's a lesbian and that she's pregnant with his baby. when he does they still blame Monica saying you knew about this. When Ross goes to the doctors for Carol's first checkup his ex-wife with susan her life partner he's gonna leave until he hears the baby's heartbeat and sees the sonagram he shows the gang the sonogram on video him and Monica starting to get excited about it. Rachel leaves a message for Barryand mindy saying she's happy for them but she hopes if they have kids that they have his old hairline and her old nose which makes her feel better.
  • ...

A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant!
  • recap

Ross finds out that his ex wife is pregnant with his child while he's at work. Monica nearly has a breakdown when her parents come for dinner. Her mom picks on her for everything and thinks she can do no thing right. She stresses out trying to make a good dinner and making the apartment look nice. Rachel goes to see Barry and return the engagement ring. When she gets there to meet him at work she finds out that Barry and her maid of honor Mindy, went on her honeymoon together. Ross's parents find out about the lesbian divorce and the baby.
  • Very well written episode, far better than the pilot.

The One With the Sonogram at the End

AKA The One Where Carol Looks Completely Different

Seriously. If you comne back to this one after seeing later ones, it is blindingly obvious. What the hell happened? Did she only want to do one episode? If so, why didn't she bring this up before in a script where it was clear that she would be a recurring character?

Monica and Ross's parents show up for the first time, and it really is surprising how horrible the mum is. It's no wonder that Monica grew up some neurotic if that's what her home life was like. Dad seems nicer but also sort of stupid, but he is definitely likeable. Mum isn't, and by the end you want to hit her, but I'd be amazed if that wasn't the intention.

One of my favourite bits is the pre-opening skit, because it just takes an unexpected metaphor and runs with it. The ending is fantastic, as is Joey's reaction, but the high five ruins it a little bit. I keep having to say this; we get it. We're not stupid. Your joke wasn't that inaccessible; it would probably have to aspire to be low-brow.

But I'll give the episode one thing; it is written extremely well. Both ex scenes at the end are painful to watch, and I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for; Ross, Rachel, Carol, Susan, Barry or that kid who had to sit and listen in the dentist's chair.

I sort of feel sorry for Joey, Chandler and Phoebe; for all intent and purposes during this episode, they might as well be statutes. The writers seem not to know what to do with excess characters and just having them sit around and occasionally make jokes doesn't really work that well. But yes, this is a very good episode.
  • Ross is a daddy.

Ross finds out at the very very very very very very very very last second of his son that his gay wife is pregent with. Its a special turning point for Ross as a character that is a soon to be dad of a little boy. It's such a great episode that you should watch. If you have watched Friends before you would understand why I am saying you should watch it. What a great episode and show this is and how great the cast and everything is. It's just amazingly marvolus. Now go watch it and stop reading this review!
  • The hit show's second episode!

Ross's ex-wife, Carol, tells him she is pregnant and wants to give the baby both her and her female lover's last names, but not Ross's. Monica goes on a manic cleaning spree to impress her parents, who favor Ross. Phoebe notes, "You're all chaotic and twirly--and not in a good way." Meanwhile, Rachel finds out that the man she left at the altar went on "their honeymoon" with her maid of honor, Mindy.

Cleverly scripted and presented from NBC. Well Done, You should definitly watch this one!
  • awesome episode

Ross' ex wife, Carol goes to visit him at the museum to tell him that she is pregnant with his child. Rachel has to give her engagement ring back to Barrie but she cant find it. Monica is very worried because her over critizising mom and her dad are coming to dinner. This is the episode where Monica's cleanness obsession begins to develop. She plans to have a good dinner with them and makes lasagna but everything becomes complicated when Rachel realizes her ring is in the lasagna Monica has made for her parents. This episode is yet another excellent proof of why FRIENDS is the best show in the earth. Everything is just PERFECT!!
  • Rachel & Ross have to see their ex's.

This episode was really nice to watch, only on Ross' plot cause Barry's a jerk! Well I like how Carol & Ross argue about the baby, that's hysterical, about the first & last name, who takes care of him. I also like when Monica's parents come to visit & put down Monica, down in the gutter. Like when Ross admitted he impregnated a lesbian, they still blame Monica. The B plot I loved cause Ross told Rachel to not look too happy so she comes there looking like crap & Barry is living life, with Mindy & plugs. The crossover with the little kid is my favorite moment, he is confused who Barry is talking to. The sonogram at the end like they promised was nice to see, and I love the phone call that Rachel made. A plot with a lot of development.
  • Monica: I know this is going to sound unbelievably selfish, but, were you planning on bringing up the whole baby/lesbian thing? Because I think it might take some of the heat off me.

Ross finds out his estranged lesbian wife and her girlfriend are going to have his baby. Well this episode was a good one but is probably one of the weakest episodes of the series, it was about character development and it made its fans understand each character more, the best parts were with Ross and the caveman and when the coffe house (Central Perk) emptied out so quick, I like this epidoe but we did not see Joey, Pheobe and Chandler much, it was mostly about Ross and Rachel and they are my least favourite characters on the show although they are still both great.
  • A solid second episode.

This episode is a solid second episode to a show. The characters are still developing some more than others and it is still very funny. The humour isn't as strong as it is in the later episodes but it is still there. Ross having to deal with Carol being pregnant with his child was a perfect story line for this episode. it wouldn't have worked if it came in later on that character development for Ross was perfect. Rachel's story line was good too, as she lost her engagement ring from Barry in Monica's lasagna, only to find out that Barry went on their honeymoon with Rachel's best friend Mindy. With Monica having to get ready for her parents coming over to having her lasagna's ruined you can tell the development of Monica is going to be interesting. Chandler's humour was good and even though Joey doesn't really develop it is a really good second episode.
  • Ross learns something that will change his life.

Rachel has to return Barry's wedding ring and is absolutly shocked to hear that he hooked up with her maid of honour Mindy. Ross is also in for a surprise when his ex-wife Carol tells him she's pregnant and she wants to raise the child with him and Susan, her girlfriend. Meanwhile Monica dreads the visits of her parents because they seem to pick on her every single time.

I liked this episode very much because I always liked Ross and Monica's parents and their liking of Ross and critizing of Monica. I kinda dislike the fact that they changed Carol but this episode also marks the beginning of the fight between Susan and Ross which will get even funnier. Additionally we learn more about the six friends, their background and there are just so many good jokrd - as always.

All in all, this is a very good episode which introduces many future guest-stars.
  • This is when we begin to see the depth and background behind each character.

This episode is fantastic. The whole part of Ross trying to figure out where he stands with his future baby and his ex-wife and her girlfriend is hilarious and also poignant. I know this is a comedy, but the writing and the humor is well used to make a point: where do fathers belong? Not in a lesbian relationship, but we have seemed to alienate men from the role of parenting, taking on the whole "supermom" persona of the 90s. Back to the funny, I laughed so hard when Ross was in the Obstretician's office, waiting for the Doctor to come in for the ultrasound and he looked around. When he came across the speculum and put it up to his mouth, thinking it reminded him of a duck, that was classic. And when Carol tells him that speculum inserts inter her cervix, he drops it like a hot potato and has an expression on his face that is priceless.
  • This episode is a average episode in my opinion.

In this episode we see Ross finding out his estranged lesbian wife and her girlfriend are going to have his baby. Rachael struggles with returning her wedding ring to her ex Barry and we see Monica struggleto impress her parent by cooking them dinner which gets ruined and then trying to get the heat off her by telling Ross to tell them his wife is pregnant and a lesbian. An average episode and probably the worst episode of the first season. I watched this last night and I watched with the first episode and thought it was boring compared to the pilot most of the joke weren't even funny.
  • meh

• There's not other episode of Friends quite like this.

You can tell by watching this episode that it is one of the earliest episodes of Friends. The actors don't seem too used to their characters yet, and the writers also don't seem very used to the show. That's not too much of a problem though. We can't expect any more from them at the second episode.

What it really was that made this episode so unique was its format. The second half of the episode had barely anyone in except Ross and Rachel, and it alternated between their scenes in a fashion that I must have seen in over a dozen other shows. Yes, it did its job, but I didn't like it very much. It was interesting to see Carol, Susan and Barry for the first time. After watching the Pilot I wouldn't have expected that they'd ever actually be in the show.

Carol being pregnant was a very surprising incident, and it was good since it gave season 1 one of its biggest storylines, not to mention the fact that it hugely affects the show as a whole, obviously.

Monica's plot in the first half of the episode was my favorite, and gave us a LOT of character development, and we met Jack and Judy, who, like Carol and Susan, would appear in many episodes in the future. I found the Ross, Carol and Susan scenes too, where they argued about the baby, something that we get to see more of throughout the season fortunately.

Overall, a good episode.
  • Not as good as the pilot..

This episode wasn't as good as the first one, and I still think Joey didnt have much to do with this one, im a big fan of Matt LeBlanc yet he didnt really be the main star, or one of them, since like the 6th series. Some funny scenes with Ross, and Chandler's classic 'This must be the episode of Three's company where there's some kinda misunderstanding', hilarious lines!
  • Ross' lesbian ex-wife tells him she is pregnant.

7.8
    Ross' lesbian ex-wife Carol visits him at the museum to tell him she's pregnant. She wants to give him( the baby) her and her female lover´s name, but not Ross, and they fight to see who's going to have it's last name on it. Monica gets on a "maniac cleaning spree" to impress her parents,and asks Ross to tell them about Carol's baby, so they would not annoy her that much. While that, Rachel is about to find his husband went to Aruba for his "honeymoon", and who did he invite to go with him? Mindy, their maid of honor.
  • awww ross.

Ross's ex-wife, Carol, tells him she is pregnant and wants to give the baby both her and her female lover's last names, but not Ross's this then causes a big argument and ross doesnt no if he can be involved. Monica goes on a manic cleaning spree to impress her parents, who favor Ross but all is invain when they still pick on her poor monica. Meanwhile, Rachel finds out that the man she left at the altar went on their honeymoon with her maid of honor, Mindy.