Friends

The One with the Sonogram at the End

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 1994 on NBC

• Very well written episode, far better than the pilot.

The One With the Sonogram at the End

AKA The One Where Carol Looks Completely Different

Seriously. If you comne back to this one after seeing later ones, it is blindingly obvious. What the hell happened? Did she only want to do one episode? If so, why didn't she bring this up before in a script where it was clear that she would be a recurring character?

Monica and Ross's parents show up for the first time, and it really is surprising how horrible the mum is. It's no wonder that Monica grew up some neurotic if that's what her home life was like. Dad seems nicer but also sort of stupid, but he is definitely likeable. Mum isn't, and by the end you want to hit her, but I'd be amazed if that wasn't the intention.

One of my favourite bits is the pre-opening skit, because it just takes an unexpected metaphor and runs with it. The ending is fantastic, as is Joey's reaction, but the high five ruins it a little bit. I keep having to say this; we get it. We're not stupid. Your joke wasn't that inaccessible; it would probably have to aspire to be low-brow.

But I'll give the episode one thing; it is written extremely well. Both ex scenes at the end are painful to watch, and I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for; Ross, Rachel, Carol, Susan, Barry or that kid who had to sit and listen in the dentist's chair.

I sort of feel sorry for Joey, Chandler and Phoebe; for all intent and purposes during this episode, they might as well be statutes. The writers seem not to know what to do with excess characters and just having them sit around and occasionally make jokes doesn't really work that well. But yes, this is a very good episode.