Friends

The One with the Thumb

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 06, 1994 on NBC

• Awesome.

Phoebe discovers a human thumb floating in her can of soda and gets compensation of seven thousand dollars. I love this episode so much, I mean i think it's because Chandler starts to smoke again. I know it's weird that I like it so much just because of that but it's so funny and he is my favourite character. And once again, awesome line in this episode. I also love this episode because all of the gang love Monica's new boyofriend but Monica's new boyfriend doesn't like the gang. I always find that so funny. Well, all in all another awesome episode of "Friends".
  • Phoebe finds a thumb in her soda.

This episode wasn't as good as the first too but still very entertaining. Chandler takes up smoking again, that scene in the office is hilarious when he is trying to cover from smoking, then Phoebe with the thumb, I guess the message is if you do good things, good things will happen to you, which was nice of her giving 1000 dollars to the homeless lady and finally the main plot Alan, how all of Monica's friends loved him which was supposed to be good until Monica doesn't like Alan which is such a well thought out situation. And finally Chandler quits smoking cause Phoebe gives him 7000 dollars! An entertaining episode.
  • Phoebe: If I bought boots, whenever I walked I would hear, "Not mine, not mine, not mine." And when I was skipping, I would hear, "not-not mine, not-not mine, not-not mine."

• lol

Phoebe discovers a human thumb floating in her can of soda and gets compensation of seven thousand dollars. Like I said in one of my prevous reviews I have started to rewatch Friends from the beginning and I'm really enjoying it, it is such a laugh and I love seeing the first season of the show because it brings back memories of the good old days when I was a kid watching the show, this episode is one of my favourites if the first series I love the last scene were Pheobe offers Chandler 7000 dollars to stop smoking it was really funny.

• A great episode with many funny jokes.

Phoebe gets upset when she finds out that her bank gave her $500. When she tells them about the money, they send her a letter, apologizing, with a football phone, and credit her account $500 more. So she decidees to give the money away, and then discovers a human thumb floating in her can of soda and gets compensation of $7,000. Everyone seems to love Alan, Monica's boyfriend. However, Monica wants to break up with him and it seems harder for her friends than her or Alan himself. Chandler starts smoking and after a little chat with Alan, he decides to quit - however, when Monica and Alan break up, he is about to start again when Phoebe says that she will give him her $7000 compensation money if he stays the way he is. This episode is a very funny episode and I enjoyed watching it. Great.
  • Character Development.

This is the 3rd episode of Friends, and there is a lot of character development in this episode. In 'The one with the Thumb' the main storylines are; Monica brings home her new boyfriend who's called Alan to meet everyone, and they like him - A LOT however the trouble is, she doesn't. Also Phoebe finds a thumb in her can of soda, hence the name the one with the thumb. In minor storylines, Ross discovers his dog died, Rachel finds out about the dating language and Chandler starts smoking again. Character development in this episode - Rachel is slightly dumb, we find out Chandler used to smoke, we find out a lot more about Phoebe. A funny quote - Chandler: I personally could have a gallon of Alan.
  • Phoebe discovers a human thumb floating in her can of soda and gets compensation of $7,000. (DVD Summary)

Since the first two episodes focused so much on character development, this is the first episode that really feels like a Friends episode. Phoebe shows her unique personality through a series of "unfortunate" events. Chandler reveals his battle with smoking. We see Joey's struggling acting career and Rachel's attempt at being a waitress. The episode focuses on Monica's new beau. Although she finally found a man that her friends really like, she realizes that she really doesn't. The funniest scenes are when the gang is just hanging out and talking in Central Perk. I could watch this episode again and again.
  • It's all about Allen

Monica never lets her friends meet the guys she dates because they always pick on her about them. However this time when they meet him they all fall in love with him. THey end up liking him more that Monica does and when she breaks up with him she has to break the news to them first. Chandler starts smoking again and Allen is the only one who can make him stop. Phoebes bank deposits $500 in her account and when she tells them of the mistake they credit her accoutn $500 more and give her a free phone. Then she finds a thumb in a soda can.
  • ...

A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant! A great Storyline and a really entertaining episode with great amouns of humour, and several funny and enjoyable parts! A definate must see episode if you are in the mood for a laugh! Brilliant!
  • Pheobe finds a thumb in her drink.

This was the first ever episode I watched, and I actually thought it would've been later in the series as all of the characters seemed perfectly developed and everyone seemed to... Well just be setted it. Which is perfect, as because of the actors brilliance they were able to pull off the most hilarious "all 6 friends" scene I think i've ever seen. Which is where Chandler sets them all of having a go at one and others annoying habbits after smoking, which makes me crack up even now, even after I can recite it! Such a brilliant episode, it gives a great insight into Pheobe too, showing how she's more careing than materialistic, when Rachel is vice versa!

Fantastic!
  • Funny episode!

We learn more about Phoebe and Chandler's characters in this episode! The bank gives Pheobe some unwanted money so instead she gives it to a homeless person who in thanks offers to buy her a soda. Only in soda is a thumb floating around for which she was given another 7000 thousand dollars!

Chandler re visits his roots by taking up smoking again which he can't seem to fully give up at ALL! The rest of the group do everything in the power to makes him stop!

It ends with Pheobe offereing him the money in exchange for him to stop smoking!
  • pretty funny

Chandler goes back to smoking, which the rest of his friends can't stand but he cannot give them up. Monica dates a man all her friends love butshes bored of him so dumps him but her friends are distraught. And poor, honest Phoebe can't deal with the fact that her bank in a big mix up gave her a thousand dollars that isn't hers, plus a soda company gives her seven thousand more unwanted bucks after she finds a dismembered thumb in a can of soda so offers it to chandler if he gives up smoking.
  • Phoebe finds a thumb in her drink

Just another wonderful episode of Friends. Phoebe is star of this wonderful episode with finding a thumb in her drink which she reciever money for. She also receives a phone from the bank for finding 1000 dollars in her bank mistakenly which she ends up getting anyways. Phoebe is over welled with all this money she is getting and gives it to good causes who really need them more than she should have them which is odd to everyone in the entire group. Phoebe is great same with everyone else of course and its just wonderful and such a great thing to watch. You should definately watch this episode.
  • thumb in a can...

finding a thumb in a can is something that can only happen in a sitcom. don\'t get me wrong, I think it\'s hilarious. I love how this show can last for however many seasons it has, and alway be mostly original. For some reason I never pictured Chandler as a smoker. He\'s alway such a nice guy... Seeing him with nicotine cravings just seems to make him even funnier. And poor Monica. she always seems to have the worst luck, but her failures are so freakin hilarious! this episode is so early in the show\'s history, and it\'s great, but they just keep getting better!
  • Thumb :)

Ross discovers the fate of his childhood pet, Chichi. Chandler starts smoking again; when the group complains, he diverts their attention to their own faults. Phoebe gets money she doesn't want; she complains and gets more; she gives it away and gets a can of soda in return... which contains a thumb. The beverage company gives her $7000. Monica's new boyfriend (Alan) is a hit with her friends, but Monica's not too sure.
  • Chandler smokes again, Monica dates a man who soon becomes a hit -- each of the Friends likes him, and Phoebe has an amazing luck with money, but she doesn't want it.

A very good classic episode. Chandler is starting to smoke again, although everyone can't stand cigarettes. Monica dates Alan, who soon becomes really boring, but she is having trouble with breaking up with him when all of her friends reaaaaaly love him. And Phoebe receives a large sum of money on her banking account, but she refuses to take it and gives it to some poor lady, and later receives a thumb in her drink, and a another large sum of money.

The Friends continue showing their personalities -- we get to see how Phoebe doesn't care for money, and how she's willing to give the money to a poor lady, rather that be rich. Chandler is smoking again, and we get to see how he can't make himself quit, and he's going to have some trouble with cigarettes too, in the future. And Monica's story is also quite good, when everyone like the guy, except her, for the first time. All in all, another good episode of Friends.
  • Watch the fumes!

7.8
    Chandler's reunited with his beloved cigarettes, which the rest of his friends can't stand. Monica dates a man all her buddies love but with whom she's bored. And poor, honest Phoebe can't deal with the fact that her bank gave her one thousand dollars that isn't hers, plus a soda company gives her seven thousand more unwanted bucks after she finds a dismembered thumb in a can of soda.

There are plenty of classic moments during this episode - especially the part with the argument and we discover some of the friends major flaws!

Hilarious!
  • Thumb in a can - yuck!

I think that this episode really begins to show the beautiful friendship between Chandler and Joey where they practise Joey’s lines. We then have Chandler’s smoking session which is especially funny when he sprays the air freshener into his mouth – that scene had me laughing for ages. The plot line for Phoebe was equally funny – although I’m with Rachel in trying to find out how to join the bank rather than feel guilty about it, and the thumb – yuck. And as always there is fun to be made out of Monica’s love life although this time because of the irony – her friends like Alan but she doesn’t “feel the thing."
  • A disappointment, is exactly what this episode should be classified under.

5.1
    I find the whole idea of a ditzy blonde upset when her bank accidently deposits money into her account. Who on earth would be angry? Especially when the bank won't take the money back in the first place. So the episode focuses a lot on how Phoebe is moping because the bank erred and put a lot of money into her account. And she lived in New York City? Yeah right, especially on a masseuse's salary, a real character would be happy with the added dough. And when she goes to get a soda, she finds a thumb in the can, and the company send her a large check, which bums her out again. Someone either adjust her meds or write a better storyline.
  • Phoebe is sad because her bank gave her thousand dollars who are not hers and she wins more seven thousand dollars when she finds a thumb in a can of soda.

6.7
    While helping Joey to rehearse,Chandler smokes and get addicted with cigarettes again. Monica dates a man who everybody loves, but when they start talking only about him, she decides to break up with the guy. Phoebe discovers she has five hundred dollars in bank that are not hers. She complains about it and receive five hundred dollars and a football phone. She gives it to a woman who live in streets. The woman offers her something andshe accepts a can of soda,just to find a dismembered thumb inside it! She receives seven thousand dollars for it, that she offers to Chandler, but in exchange he must not smoke.
  • This episode is so boring... They try to make Pheobe be nice for not wanting the money. Monica's boyfriend everyone loves??? What is with that. To top it all off Chandler smokes again?! Thats just plain stupid.

4.1
    I personally love friends but this episode is just ridiculous. Seriously there are way to many people trying to give stuff up! First with Pheobe... I know she was trying to be all nice and everything but come on its 8 thousand dollars! with all the money she got she could have helped herself out later or just donated it... But then with Monica she wants to get rid of the boyfriend that everyone likes??! That's just plain wierd. She should have just gotten rid of him b4 he met the gang. Chandler smoking just puts this episode to an even more low level I mean seriously they put way to much emphasis on the smoking part during all the seasons.