Fringe

6B

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Feb 18, 2011 on FOX

• Season 3, Episode 14

The last episode was not easy and it was no accident that took the number they had. 13, bad luck, bad luck, bad weather. We returned to the ghosts of the past and fears of the future. But it was not by chance that I, after all, wrote a critical light, full of faith and will.

He was right. The now 13, went home and returned to one side. The one building, an apartment, where, in a lively evening party to counter a balcony disappears causing people who were in it, alleging that neither falling rag dolls on the floor. Another magnificent start to do remember "The Happening." It is early on that we also realize that this is an episode of reconciliation. Not discovered right away is that, rather than the peace of the rest is a couple of two.

This is because the case this week was no more than a love story, bigger than any one of the two universes. An old woman, resident of this building, lost her husband some time ago, but the strength of their feelings makes him able to see the other side. On the side where things ran around and a widow cries with the same pain. The love of two has caused a rift opened up in our world and put at risk everything and everyone. For this problem there are two solutions: Amber, already familiar to us, or cause that you would break loose and eventually let her husband go in peace. He won the second and all finished well.

I loved this story. Not only for being an incurable romantic, but also because I think balanceou perfectly the next sci-fi with the dramatic side, without ever taking off from mythology. It is necessary to achieve great maturity and harmony to tell us a story well. In addition, the bridge is also intelligent mounted between the case and the players. References were clear and the speech of Peter (Joshua Jackson) at the end showed how the narratives were symmetrical. And if the other won the loneliness, not this. Finally they set aside their heads pain, fears, and assumed the relationship. All done with great taste, without ever bothering or soften. The pity is that we know the rest, pregnancy, the other. The rest unnecessary, the rest expected to enovela thing. But well, for that matter can only hope.

It was also very interesting to bring Amber back and put Walter (John Noble) in the same situation as his rival. Wonderful scene in which vents, realizing all the other reasons that led to becoming the monster it is. There is no good or bad, are all a bit gray.

Finally, one thing that makes me confused is that the gaps in another universe just happened to have time and ours not. If there is an imbalance, both should be affected. Or not?

That said, "6B" is not just a floor, is a return to the track. A fantastic episode dosing in certain doses fiction, action and romance.

The Best: The Case of the week.

The Worst: Us to know that this reconciliation is short-lived sun.
  • Moving On

This was a very unique episode and something very different from the rest of the episodes that doesn't require supernatural mutated beings of some sort. It was about two people mourning over their deceased spouse, very sad the pain they must have gone through. Their story was good enough for this episode, when it comes to Olivia and Peter there is no forgiving that needs to be said. Peter didn't do anything wrong he thought it was Olivia. After Fauxlivia left he missed those times of not being alone and having someone when you wake up beside you. He wanted that so bad with Olivia he ignore the small details that wasn't her because he was deeply in love with Olivia. Thats why Olivia let it go, writers wanted you to feel that she was scared because of the events in season 1 she lost the person she love and also betrayed her in a way. So towards the end I thought it was beautiful that she was willing to let Peter in I can see she's scared but she wants Peter as they head up the stairs.
  • Thank you Olivia! She finally forgives Peter, and we can move on from there.

I have to admit I was terrified for this week's episode. The last few have been nothing but painful attacks on Peter's relationship with Fauxlivia and Olivia blaming him every time she gets a chance. But tonight she finally forgave him and she snuck him up to the bedroom to "forgive" him properly. Oh, and there was also a ghost plot, who turned out to be the woman's not dead "over-there" husband. So the team figured out a way to save them from ambering the place and proving, once again, our Olivia is smarter! However, Walter putting on the get busy music and making pancakes for the two in the beginning of the episode had to be my favorite Walter moment yet, he was very sneaky *cough* about it, and had all of us laughing at his antics. So all in all, a good start to fixing the Fringe team and proving that not even sleeping with her double can end a relationship. Now let's see if they can handle the kidnapping of Peter's sperm in next weeks episode!
  • Somewhere between Ghostbusters and Ghost

Another well balanced episode of Fringe. The fringe case itself was intriguing enough, something as common ( in sci-fi ) as a ghost turning out to be something else entirely. The character interactions were interesting, between Walter questioning his actions like Walternate did last week ( anyone else worried that he may already have his full brain back and slowly turn into another Walternate ? )and Peter and Olivia having a shot at happiness together ... just before those nasty writers remind us that Fauxlivia is still out there ! And of course, call me excessively romantic, but I found that the core idea of the episode, the idea of love and grief so powerful they break the limits of death and reality, was a sweet one. Not exactly like the movie Ghost ( the couple was not THAT interesting in itself, even if you can feel some sorrow for the old man at the end ), but close enough. After Marionette, it seems that Fringe writers are not bad at stories about the human heart ...

Another unique and interesting storyline in tonight's episode of Fringe. The woman, what was she up to? How were the laws of physics being defied in this building? They got you hooked, but like so many times before, once they explain what is going on, you start to lose interest. The writing is just a bit lame right now, pardon mon francais, and the show is sort of boring, as much as I hate to admit it. It is still aesthetically pleasing, it is still the best sci-fi series out there today, but it would be hard to argue against Fringe not being stale right now.
  • Worlds collide...and the spirits move...

There are times when fiction seems to intersect with "real life" in some unusual and unexpected ways. This episode of "Fringe" is one of those moments. The treatment of "paranormal phenomena" in this episode is not only true to the "science" as it has been explored on this series, but it mirrors some of the actual theorizing that has been done by paranormal researchers I've worked with in recent years.

Far from "ghost hunting", the research has involved the hypothesis that a great deal of paranormal phenomena is due to the generation of wormholes (as theoretically defined in physics) between universes (see recent works by Brian Greene and such for discussions on that topic). In essence, based on the theory, the idea is to measure key environmental factors to determine if they change as predicted by wormhole theory in locations where apparent paranormal activity is reported or experienced.

It's still something of a hobby and a bit of a wild "fringe" concept in and of itself, but a lot of the same thinking runs at the heart of this episode. Fringe Prime and Alt-Fringe have intersected before; in the second season, Newton and Walternate were conspiring to make it happen to bring Peter across. But now it is happening without such activity, with dire implications for the "Fringe" universe as a whole.

What is most interesting is the idea that "ghosts" are, in fact, interactions with beings from a parallel universe, with the barriers between those universes breaking down as a consequence of intense sentient psychological states. Recalling that Cortexiphan was supposedly designed to tap into the hidden potentials within the human psyche, this is a logical enough extension. It also neatly ties into the traditional observation in the "real world" that there is a connection between the observer and the observed in paranormal events.

It speaks to certain aspects of quantum theory (both old and new), but the upshot is that many of the environmental factors that Walter measures to study the phenomenon in this episode are also at the top of the list for signs of potential presence of a wormhole: spontaneous emergence of electromagnetic fields, unusual gravity effects, gamma radiation bursts, and so forth. It also might help to explain the "shimmer" that occurs when the universes overlap. It could easily be a kind of particle emission that is generally below the threshold of human perception, except Olivia's Cortexiphan ability has heightened her senses under certain stress conditions.

Lest it seem like I am adding too much of my own "content" into my appreciation of this episode, I would point out that the "vortex" phenomenon that Walter is desperate to prevent is rather similar to the common popular conception of an emergent wormhole, and if material is being pulled out of one universe into another, that would be the logical mechanism. Which makes the "amber" such an intriguing concept. What kind of substance could literally defuse a wormhole?

Of course, this episode wasn't just about the technical and mythological aspects. The emotional core, the driver fueling the vortex generation, was all about human loss. It was enough to push Olivia beyond her internal issues regarding Peter and Fauxlivia and bring them together in the end. In terms of the story, it puts Olivia on roughly equal footing with Fauxlivia. Fauxlivia may be carrying Peter's child, but Olivia hasn't betrayed him and is the woman he really wanted. How those matters will counter-balance remains to be seen.
  • Peter really must make up his mind.

And will the beginning of the end of our world really take place in Brooklyn? This was a great episode that gave us a glimpse into how the two universes may collide, unless Walter comes up with a solution. In an apartment building in Brooklyn, we see how extreme emotion, experienced at the same time, by two people, but in opposite worlds, can cause a tear in the fabric of the universe. Through this tear, our world can be sucked into the other. That's enough of the science - Olivia has decided she wants to become a "real" woman, and experience with Peter, the relationship he shared with Fauxlivia. Now my question is, will both Olivias become pregnant?
  • 6B..

Massively character centric episode this week which is a fantastic thing as far as Fringe is concerned. Olivia finally decides to take a leap of faith with Peter and allow them to have a relationship, further entangling the love triangle across universes once Peter discovers that he's going to be a father. All of this was centered around a Fringey story about love which reflected nicely upon our characters narrative and allowed them to say a few wishy-washy things that ultimately lead to the reconciliation. Perhaps equally as significant as the character development were the implications brought about with this case and the suggestion that "our" universe is beginning to unravel like the alt-verse. Considering where the viewing figures for Fringe are right now, there is significant need to worry that cancellation may be a reality, which is flat out going to suck. With a fourth season this story is set up to become one of the best pieces of network television anyone has seen over the last decade, but if this is the end for Fringe then the writers will have no choice but to punt half of the story and totally ruin what they were going for by trying to wrap it up in 22 or so episodes. This episode left us with a great scope for things to come, but sadly, we may never see them as they were intended. If you live in America, WATCH THIS SHOW!
  • 6B

6B was a superb episode of Fringe because it had an interesting story of love and the possibility of destruction. There was a lot of character development with Peter and Olivia, though she continues to doubt and pull away. She represents what many people feel and is not the typical television stereotype. I think this show has a brilliant way of exploring the human psyche. I found this episode particularly interesting because of how the love of two people almost destroyed the universes, just like Peter may have the chance to do sort of. I look forward to the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Flip of a coin ...

...and a whole life would follow. As six people die when the seventh floor balcony of their building ceases to exist (like its counterpart in an alternate Universe), the widow from apartment 6B is confronted by what could have been when she sees widower, Mr. Merchant, still alive in a Universe where the flip of a coin didn't seal his death.

Their connection its threatening both Universes, just like Alt-Olivia's pregnancy threatens Peter's relationship with the Olivia he's in love with. As the building starts to give in to the singularity, Mrs. and Mr. Merchant give into the guilt for their respective survival, for they flipped a coin once in a lifetime and the spouse who replaced a faulty fuse got killed. After the widow finds out he did have children the ghostly figures fade away, breaking the connection that exists between them

Back in the alternate Universe, the alternate Fringe Division leaves a distraught Mr. Merchant looking fondly at pictures of his own wife. Back in our Universe, the story leaves Peter looking fondly at his own Olivia before she starts kissing him, giving in to a connection that can't change any Universe other than their own.
  • *** Spoilers *** Not heavenly but with no doubt a bodybuilded episode from floor to roof

Ground zero, welcome back to the prime universe. What happen when you cross Ghostbusters and Fringe ? Well not Supernatural ! As much as Walter's behavior can be spooky at times Fringe will never trade its identity for a fan like me. It's a good thing because the story was quite original. Indeed even if past episodes thrilled my mind I was always able to relate their scripts to a well known novel or film. 6B proved that it's possible to puzzle the audience and turn the most conventional love story into a cross-universe Shakespearean piece.

Second floor, red is the new blue. And I naively thought the good old twinkling format was back ! Of course this episode was not as twisted as Entrada but the ending tasted like a cherry on a shortcake. Once again it was a simplistic way to link both worlds but nevertheless it was dazzling !

Close Encounters of the Third Floor. The guest actress did a wonderful job at portraying a mourning old lady and even made me wonder about his real life. Did she lose someone too ? It made her intense scene with Olivia and Peter even more dramatic.

The Four Floors of Einstein. My only complain is that they didn't trigger the amber when it would have definitely made a mind blowing sequence. Imagine them running for their life before it solidifies ! But apparently they have decided to save the inevitable collapse for later and in fact it's a wise decision.

The Fifth Floor, so many entertaining elements. From the glowing building to Walter alternative crisis it was one edgy installment. Until the very end I really thought they wouldn't be able to save the day. Actually wouldn't it be excellent if they failed for once ? It's not that the show has become predictable but I really encourage the writers to turn the impossible into possible ! And as they haven't disappointed us so far I expect the upcoming episodes to be even more twirling !

Sixth floor, I sense your delicate breath on my lips. Who are you rooting for ? Olivia or Fauxlivia ? Fusion ! Foolivia !? The writers apparently enjoy playing with our feelings. Indeed it seems Peter deliberately decided to invite Olivia to the place he danced with Fauxlivia. I could even hear a love song in the background for a few split seconds. And the awkward kiss they shared was definitely a reminder that Peter is not ready to forget her. I also considered their last scene as a direct reference to Fauxlivia's pregnancy. Parallelgamy ? Lucky Peter ! I don't know what they have staged for us but 6B was excellent and I'll never put a single foot on a balcony again !
  • Classic Fringe woven tapestry...

(I am sorry for the length but I couldn't restrain myself)

I am always excited from the very beginning when the story is set over-there, and that excitement doesn't wane throughout the episode. Stories set over-here on the other hand have sometimes had a sort of slow-burn effect on me, taking their time to get me where they want to unless, like for "6B", right from the beginning we dive into the season arc and our love triangle.
    Thanks to Olivia's ability rekindled by a courageous attempt to mend things with Peter, the Fringe team discovers that in New York city, the apartment "6B" in a Brooklyn building seems to be the epicenter of an anomaly similar to those plaguing the other-side. They also quickly find out that unlike those on the other-side, this particular rift is caused by human emotions!

What made this episode stand out for me was the way everything was woven together. Olivia regained her ability because after a short but revealing conversation with Peter, she decided to stop punishing him (and herself) and wound up being afraid of the next step. It helped them solved a case that was very much about the two universes and how they interact. It also helped develop the idea - already introduced with the machine, that human feelings are a 'quantity' to be reckoned with in the fabric of the universe(s), and finally allowed the creation of an environment ripe for change: remember the baby is still very much there on the other-side.
    Fringe writers know their drama: you can't wreak havoc on a relationship that isn't, so although it pains me to predict it, they are bringing these two together to be able to maximize the baby's impact. This is Jacksonville revisited, as Olivia's discovery of her ability came handy to locate the New York building that was to vanish, but nipped the burgeoning romance in the bud when she saw Peter glowing...

I liked Peter admitting to Olivia he dreamed of them together before Fauxlivia ever showed up. It goes to show he was already drawn to her as we all knew and should be reminded of.
    I liked that Olivia and Peter were the best equipped to be at the epicenter of the rift, her being able to move back and forth between the universes and him being from the other-side. It helped them sort out their own issue while solving the case, which is classic Fringe double duty.
    I liked seeing Olivia smile and laugh, trying to be like she was before. She did that in a very distinctive Olivia way, even when she shyly kissed Peter and took his hand leading him "upstairs", nothing like the alluring (femme-fatale?) attitude of Fauxlivia when she invited Peter over to "talk". That difference was enhanced by the appearance of the latter toward the end of the episode.
    I liked Walter's introspection and his reevaluation of Walternate's decisions - though it didn't make me like the secretary better.
    I liked that amber wasn't used over-here, and I very much liked the grieving old lady. She had a presence and a way about her.

I couldn't help laughing at Walter's conclusion as to why his setup involving Peter and Olivia didn't turn out as he expected: "Perhaps I should have made a frittata".

I found the impact of the events on the other-side and the short sequence with Lincoln and Fauxlivia neat. These writers know how to tie loose ends...
    Finally, I am intrigued by the now recurring idea about feelings being a measurable quantity having some sort of impact on the fabric of the universe(s). I am very eager to see how it develops. Just like the pregnancy, it has potential for greatness or ridicule depending on how it plays out.
  • Who you gonna call? The Fringe team that's who as in this episode they find themselves investigating spooky goings on with potentially universe unravelling consequences.

This episode is a bit slow to get started with a long intro that features no familiar character's but once the Fringe event is set up the story begins to gather momentum leading to another top-notch instalment. The event is that a group of people at a dinner party appear to have jumped from a balcony at the same time. It soon becomes apparent that all is not as it seems and that they fell through the balcony in an apartment block which has become a hotspot for paranormal activity.

Of course the paranormal activity is related to the rift between universes and at the heart of the matter is an old woman, Mrs Merhcant, who recently lost her husband. She believes she can see his ghost and when she does all hell breaks lose. What she is really seeing is the alternate version of her husband who is still alive on the other side, who in turn sees her (who is also dead) in his universe. While the story falls in between the Fringe "monster of the week" episodes and the ones which are centred more closely on the mythology it's well told and packs plenty of emotional punch, not just with Mrs Merchant and her husband but between Peter and Olivia as well as they finally come to terms with Peter's relationship with Faulivia (helped of course by reflecting on Mrs Merchant's relationship with her husband). There's a nice nod to quantum entanglement (two objects which can interact with each other even when separated) when Walter quotes Einstein's famous "spooky action at distance" description of the theory. It's little details like this that make the pseudo science more believable. The acting in this episode is superb as always and it's great to watch Walter as he has to deal with the same decisions that Walternate had to make. There's also a good scene with Walter and Nina near the end where she reassures him about his actions.

6B's ending feels a little unnecessary showing the outcome of the parallel event on the other side and would have had more of an impact if had just ended with Peter and Olivia walking up the stairs hand in hand but it was interesting to see how things concluded in the parallel universe. All in all a great instalment, I'd be happy with a few more of these before things really kick off with the doomsday machine.