Fringe

A New Day in the Old Town

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Sep 17, 2009 on FOX

• Great season premiere, but my head feels like it's about to explode from the questions.

I remember the last thing I saw on Fringe was Olivia Dunham finally meeting William Bell in an alternate universe.. the next thing I know, Season 2 is premiering, we're watching a shapeshifter escape from a car accident where nobody is in the car he crashed into and all of a sudden... Olivia Dunham bursts out of a car window and is launched thirty feet onto the tar. Huh?!

With Lost coming to an end, Fringe appears to be the new show that will keep you scratching your head and guessing at what's going on. Watching this episode, I always felt like I was out of the loop on something, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.. it just shows you how frustrating the show is going to be with cliffhangers and plot development (it sounds bad, but I really do mean this in a positive way).

Now that Olivia has no idea what happened when she went into the alternate universe, we can't help but wonder when she's going to remember meeting William Bell, being lead there by Nina Sharp and everything that happened afterwards. Also, the writers set up the next mystery: what exactly is the shapeshifter looking for? Does Olivia know and it's just being repressed?

This is really less then a review and more of a rant and list of questions. It's extremely difficult to wrap my head around what's going on, so I'm just going to say this: this was an excellent way to start the season, filled with twists, plenty of action and a cliffhanger that will leave you kicking the nearest person in frustration.