Fringe

A Short Story About Love

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 23, 2012 on FOX

• "I believe you call it ... love"

It's becoming a trend with Fringe lately, with a case that feels like slowing down the main narrative. The case wasn't that interesting, and the connection with the characters' situation was a little too "on the nose", and in my opinion the "bad guy" of the week was too creepy for us to really feel for him when he confesses his motive. The only high point I can think of regarding this part of the episode was the twist on the last victim's identity. Anyway, the script had great character moments ... Dare I say it ? Olivia's final scene with Nina nearly brought tears in my eyes : Blair Brown was just astonishing as a mother who lets her daughter go, a role I never thought Nina would have in a million years. As for September and Peter ... well, we've known that all along, haven't we ? But Michael Giacchino's beautiful score and Michael Cerveris' acting sell the scene very well. September was both very alien ( he was even a little frightening in that light, or is it just me ? ) and very human with his fascination ( like August ...) for human emotions ... and was that a smile ? Episodes like this ( or "Forced perspective", or "A Better human being" ... ) make me hope they ditch the "mythalone" formula for the rest of the season, since it clearly doesn't work as well as it did in the past ( there were white tulips, but it was no "White tulip" ! ), and go full-on mythology, especially if there's no season 5 ! At least bring back Walternate's Fringe Division to investigate some cases !