Fringe

And Those We've Left Behind

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 11, 2011 on FOX

• Deja vu in more ways than one

Let's start with what prevented me from completely enjoying the episode. Look at the plot : someone creates a time-travel technology to be reunited with the woman he loved and lost, but that technology has to be shut down because it has lethal side-effects. Now, where have we already heard that ? That's right, "White tulip". I can't really blame the writers for trying to reproduce the recipe of one of their ( deservedly ) most loved episodes ... but this one was just too close.

BUT. There were really good scenes, anyway, as far as the relationships between Peter, Olivia and Walter were concerned. It was painful ( in a good way ) to watch how Walter ignored Peter, and the glimpse of Peter's state of mind ( and reminder of what he's lost ) with the opening scene was as heartbreaking as you'd expect. Just the look on Joshua Jackson's face when Peter realized Walter had become a recluse without him was outstanding.

Anyway, that's a 10 for character interaction, and a 5 for the case of the week ( even if the guest actors did their best ).

• More Mysteries and WTH?

The get me wrong I liked the case it was very different, and a devoted husband wants to save his wife from getting sick or something. Either I missed it or they didn't say but as far I know she had some type of memory lost looked Alzheimer's aka Altimers. I would have rate the show higher is this Peter and everyone don't know him type of deal, is just to weird they forced us to give in to Bolivia like everyone knew her. Which we keep yelling at each episode that's not Olivia over and over again, now we have Peter except everyone don't know him like he an alien on the show. It's like were suppose to reject Peter for some reason to get use to the new way of things, I'm not buying it and they better start putting this thing together. A lot of time is wasting and they always seem to start putting things together when there is like 7-10 episodes left in the season.

P.S. Erebus69 made a good point what I also said when this season started. A lot of this stuff wouldn't exist if Peter wasn't there or didn't exist. Walters even worst now, not even hilarious like back than, in this season he's out of control. I always believed that Peter was that stability, if he's out of control now how would he say yes lets save the world. When they did the parallel universes, it was different but it didn't cripple the show in my view some think differently. But I thought they could've done something else or done without it. Now in this season more distance between the characters making Peter feel like he's from another world. I didn't like it when Olivia was trapped in another world and want to come back, at least she had hope and knew that the other side was real. With Peter it looks like there no hope that his world ever existed and this is the real world yours was erased or something like that.
  • And Those We've Left Behind

Seeing a real life married couple play these guest roles, struggling with time and being together was good, but the premise was still a bit absurd, and the beginning of the episode was really slow. While the middle and the end certainly featured some strong scenes, a lot of this episode was not spectacular, and there was a real lack of explanation for how any of it actually worked.

Decent, but not great episode.
  • This review is for this entire season... I love this show, i really do, but this new season, with the "elimination" of Peter from time it opened a lot of holes. It left the show looking like a swiss cheese, a lot of paradoxes were ignored.

For example, how could Bolivia switched with the real Olivia if they never went to their universe!! they only went there because of Peter... With no Peter, they had no reason to go there...

But wait, that lives us with another paradox, if Bolivia never went to there universe, then she never found the missing piece of the machine, therefor the machine was never started by Walternet!!

Another example is Walter. The only reason he checked out of the Hospital was because of Peter. Olivia had to drag Peter's ass so that Walter would Check out!!

With no Peter, no Walter!!!

I could go on and on with this paradoxes that were left out with no explanation. There is plenty more of those.

But, i guess i can ignore those holes for a little longer to see where the show will lead us...

• The theoretical physicist book.

A most romantic take on science begins with a profund and fundamental truth; de-ja vu is the way of the Universe to tell you: you are exactly where you were supposed to be. Hence the feeling that you experienced all before to begin with.

But, what happens if you aren't there anymore? What happens if your actions changed the course of the path you were supposed to take to begin with? For Peter, Deja vu is still there, his son-father in the same conundrum as he was before with Peter powerless to do anything but worsen Walter's condition.

For one professor's husband, his path unraveled exactly how it was supposed to be, with a life, a career and a wife he's still in love with, so much in fact that he'd produce time itelf to give her a chance to fullfil in life what Alzheimer took away from her, a passion so strong that it would defy physics in order to remain everlasting.

Unlike Peter, Raymond simply refuses to see the woman he loves forget that he existed, unaware of the fact that this woman - much like Olivia - is also missing out on something. Something they are willing to let go of, if that means the man they once loved could have a somewhat less heartbroken existance: Raymond's life, much like Peter's, remains as fractured as ever.

• Killing humor, entertaining time paradox, fascinating bubbles, cheap Faraday cage, emotional story and empathic Peter (Spoilers)

Clatto Verata Marmota Monax ! They shouldn't have summoned Groundhog Day, now we're all going to die of televisual happiness. Both killing hilarious and heartbreaking this episode added an other arc to the virtuous spiral the audience walks on. I couldn't help giggling every time Walter ignored Peter so it seems his fun factor is a constant. I really digged the concept of the time bubble. Moreover beside the well polished visual effects it's really a spherical and elemental triptych that was painted on our TV : Fire, rainbow and water. However I found Peter's electromagnetic suit very cheap and unrealistic because a Faraday cage should surround its subject entirely. Why didn't they get a real one from Walter's dusty attic ? It would have been a great homage to its inventor and appealed science freaks. As for the time jump Peter experienced it was by far my favorite part. What a brilliant reference to the film but sadly it was too short. That's the comment of a five years old boy addicted to Apollo, the candy you won't found at a store near you. More seriously even if the time paradox element reminded me of the wormhole from season 3 it's different enough and definitely fascinating. After Lost we'll see what's the next step in the time travel revolution, the film Back to the Future being one of its finest. Last but not least the story was also driven by emotions. Of course I'm refering to the Alzheimer disease because health issues motivate thousands if not millions of scientists around the globe. But of course it isn't good to sacrifice humanity for someone you love. The man wasn't selfish, he just tried his best to save his wife. The other sequences that moved me concerned Peter's nightmare and his entrance in Walter's abandoned house with Olivia. The first because it was linked to the recurrent dreams she had before his arrival. The second because the house is charged with memories like the cult Naked Pancake Show™ ! But the ending was sad because it confirmed that Peter isn't home, like Quinn Mallory in Sliders, and has no idea how to get back. Is he trapped in some sort of parallel time bubble ? Let's hope it won't explode or destroy the two universes we're familiar with !

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.

• Last week I wrote a little bit about how much I dislike the It's A Wonderful Life approach to alternate realities, where characters take forever to understand that their worlds have profoundly changed.

I love It's A Wonderful Life as a movie, but when it comes to that specific way of engaging with the supernatural, I prefer Groundhog Day, where the hero quickly grasps his situation and looks for ways to take advantage of it.

I think it's fair to say that "And Those We've Left Behind"—an at once tense and moving episode of Fringe—wouldn't have worked at all if the characters spent a lot of time denying what's happening all around them. Even the premise relies on a significant amount of shrugging and forging ahead. The not-so-freaky freak of the week is electrical engineer Raymond Green, who's spent the last few years using the incomplete research of his theoretical physicist wife Kate to construct a device that will shift their home back in time, to just before Kate began to succumb to Alzheimer's. He'd had little luck with this plan until recently, when his contraption has suddenly begun to work, if only for short periods of time. But Raymond hasn't been freaked out by his sudden success; he's been enjoying his wife's company for as long as his time-bubble is active, and trying to get her to finish her work before she slips away again.

The problem with The Green Machine is that its effects have been rippling outward—in what appears to be an ever-expanding Fibonacci Golden Spiral, according to Walter—causing select sections of Boston and its environs to flash back in time for several sometimes-dangerous minutes. At the start of the episode, we see a mother puttering around her apartment with her preschool-aged daughter when suddenly the daughter becomes a baby and the apartment itself jumps back to the date four years ago when it caught fire. Later, a group of teenagers driving through the countryside are almost hit by a train running on a route that hasn't been active in years. Throughout New England, people are experiencing time-loops and time-anomalies, and if the pattern progresses as Walter predicts, soon a recently built tunnel is going to flood with water and potentially kill a whole bunch of people.

The anomalies are also affecting Peter, whether he's in the path of the Golden Spiral or not. One second he's in the lab and getting ready to drive to the scene of a Fringe Event, and the next second he's at the scene, before he can finish a sentence. One moment he's noticing a strange effect that makes an automoile bumper crumble to dust, and the next moment he's in a car with Olivia and Lincoln, having already driven away from the site of that bumper. But as with last week's episode, Peter doesn't get rattled or even confused by all this. Instead he heaves a sigh and mutters, "This is gonna start getting annoying."

Peter's ability to constantly adjust to the weirdness is a huge part of what makes "And Those We've Left Behind" affecting. Since his return, Peter has been sensitive to the feelings of his former friends and family; he hasn't spilled to Olivia what they used to mean to each other, and he hasn't pressured Walter to accept him. Instead, he's suffered through Walter referring to him as "the subject" and refusing to engage with him in any way, and Peter has also dealt with the heartbreak of seeing how Walter lives now, sequestered anxiously in his own lab. There's a poignant point-of-view shot in this episode of Walter silently stewing while he watches Peter working on the case with Olivia and Lincoln. The moment neatly conveys how tough it's been for Peter to step right back into his old life.

And that's not the only way that "And Those We've Left Behind" establishes mood and meaning through visuals alone. The very image of time bubbles that affect some parts of area but not others—leading to an apartment that's partially burned, or a tunnel that disappears by degrees—is a powerful method of expressing the idea of how a loss can devastate one person and leave someone else unmoved. There's a neat contrast between Peter's cautious approach to reclaiming his old life and Raymond Green's aggressive attempts to get his own back. That plays out nicely when Peter straps on a Faraday Cage—or a "Walter Bishop Faraday Harness" as Walter insists it be called—and walks into the Greens' time-bubble, like some kind of astronaut setting foot on a remote planet and marveling at the strange customs there.

Even though a previous, non-caged agent had walked into the bubble and disintegrated, and even though Walter's attempts to mentally nullify Peter could well have led him to engineer a faulty harness, I was never worried that Peter was going to die at the Greens. Yet the scene of Peter's entry into the house was still nerve-wracking. Similarly, while I knew that Kate Green was going to sabotage her own work once she learned what Raymond had been doing, it was still touching to see them share their last moments together as two cogent people, and to see Raymond later flip through Kate's book of blacked-out notes.

In the end, what makes "And Those We Left Behind" so potent is that it shows how the "I'll bend reality for you" love of the Greens is dangerous, then shows Peter trying as hard as he can not to be that destructive. Or is he? At the end of the episode Peter gets the use of his house back, and possibly an allowance from the government; but he's also realized that the Olivia and Walter he's been dreaming about don't exist in the world in he's in right now, where he's a stranger. So now he has a choice: he can try to get back to—or to recreate—his real "home," or he can learn to live and love the life he's been plopped into.

• Time anomolies abound, but is the recently reappeared Peter to blame or is there some other force at work? Agent Dunham and Fringe Division investigate.

I really liked this episode. Heart wrenching seeing Walter so maladjusted and unable to even look at Peter and sweet seeing him grudgingly admit to Peter's Faraday Cage idea being a good one.
    This episode reminded me of the 'Angel' episode, 'Happy Anniversary'. Whereas that was freezing time, this is reversing time. Its to do with love, engineering and physics. Its to do with one person (Raymond, an electrical engineer) unable to imagine a future without the woman he loves (Kate, a professor of theoretical physics who has solved time travel). Of course this is paralleled with Peter who has had his love torn away from him as well.
    As always a very well balanced episode. Concentrating on character dynamics as much as the case in hand. A real world situation with a science fiction twist, handled in a sensitive but not overly sentimental fashion.
    I really hope that everything doesn't suddenly flash back to the way things were before. (As much as I loved the previous character dynamic, especially between Peter and Walter). I am assuming that at some point things will have to return to the other time line as Peter himself said that he was in the wrong place and needs to get back.
    I think the writers of Fringe have been very clever this season. Essentially keeping the show's paradigm the same but giving it a little tweak to keep it fresh and interesting.
    This is definintely the best show on our TV screens at present.

• With Peter's help, the Fringe team investigates strange time loop anomalies. Meanwhile, Walter refuses to cooperate and Olivia learns a little bit more about just how much she meant to Peter.

OMFG. Favorite episode yet of the season! The case had me emotionally invested, it was SO well done! Beautifully tragic and such a cool idea, those dangerous time anomalies caused by the husband, who wanted to save his ailing wife by continuously reversing time back to 2007 inside his house. The whole thing harkened back to the season 3 episode "6B" and had many parallels to what Olivia and Peter are currently going through. For all you romance fans- me included!- "And Those We've Left Behind" was rich with poignant Polivia moments... there's even a kiss, in Peter's dream!

Poor Peter! I really want him to get home to his own universe! This one makes me sad, LOL. Walter practically hates him (he refuses to cooperate with Peter the whole episode) and Olivia so far has indicated that she only views him as a stranger, but Peter clearly yearns for her. Aw.

LOVED IT!