Fringe

Black Blotter

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Dec 14, 2012 on FOX

• There's nothing to burn

Oh my Walter.

So I took a break between watching the previous episode and this one. I have a problem finishing TV shows, and I'm struggling to get to the end of this one because I don't. Want it. To end.

Having taken that break, I forgot how INCREDIBLE Fringe is. And I am sorry. I will see it through to the end, and I will not be disappointed. It is known (don't hate the reference).

Black Blotter focuses on Walter, with an expressionist point of view incorporating not just the prior season's animation (watered down wisely) but also his hallucinations, and his hallucinations of hallucinations. Combine the beautiful style--I felt the exact tone the writers desired hit me when that animation story happened--with great plot points like Olivia and Peter's continued strong bond, a bit of bad ass Astrid, finding the Boy, and a shootout with loyalists, and wow. Just wow.

I'm gonna keep chugging and watch another episode before 3 am, I think.
  • wow! i am rather impressed... yet it seems to me that something still feels like it's missing.

this episode struck me as being Walter on a mission of self- rediscovery... it was incredible...

@Lccf you make some good points but i believe you're wrong about donald... i believe the kid IS September!

my only real issue i had with this episode was Walter high on acid then he's got his hands all over peter's face. Why didn't peter get a contact high like Broyles did?

the cartoon scene where walter gets his head squished + dragged on a journey made me laugh really hard... considering the dark nature of this season it was a refreshing turnabout... looking forward to the remainder of the eps...

Been watching Fringe since season 1 though i admit that the 1st ep i ever saw was episode 7 and i have been hooked ever since.
  • Bad episode

This is what happens when a new person decides to write a script of the show that is about to be concluded. What did we find out? Nothing. The episode was dull and very much predictable. Monty Python's tribute seemed a bit out of place and personally I think it was unnecessary. I guess everybody has his suspictions who is the boy and we will not be surprised...
  • Young September

Imo the child Observer is September!!

It is a shame that Fox dictated a shortened final season, forcing the producers to compact their original script to half a season worth of episodes.
  • No matter what they do....

Every episode strikes an emotional chord with me. It must be painful for the writers to tell their story in only 13 episodes. I can see where they would have gone with it, had it been a regular full 22 episode run. Finding the boy was a great turn in this episode, and I loved the moment when Walter uttered the password "black umbrella", classic Fringe! The season still feels lost, but I had the same feeling with season 4 right up to around episode 10.... so i can imagine the amount of story that's going into only 13 episodes!!
  • Black Blotter Review. An episode driven by emotion, atmosphere, and the story of Walter Bishop.

I think the greatest aspect of this episode was the mood. It felt incredibly dark. And there was an great sense of mystery behind the broadcast. I think what acted good as counter-balance to this dark mood was the animation used in Walter's trips. My only complaint is that while the Monty Python one was fantastic, it seems misplaced and felt like a mood breaker rather than a scene used to balance the mood. Maybe if it had eased into the scene, rather than abruptly throw us into it, it would would have worked better.

Fringe in its final episodes is reaching into it's past. It's really quite fantastic. When the fifth season began airing I was thinking that we'd never find out what happened to Walter's lab assistant. I cheered with Joy when she appeared on screen. A great performance by her too! Joining her was a younger Nina. Blair Brown was just as amazing here as always. I like seeing this human side to Nina, as in season 1 her character was presented very coldly, but she really isn't and we see this in her interactions with Walter. Other than that there was the reveal of the young Observer. And also, for the second time this season, obvious references to the Fringe symbols such as the Frog and the Seahorse. In the episode "Through the Looking Glass and What Walter Found There" Walter even pointed out the symbols. This makes me wonder if more will be revealed about the symbols which have appeared throughout the series. (If you remember back in the episode "The Bishop Revival" the Seahorse was a signature that Walter's father used.

Now to the visuals of the episode. The projector at the end, Walter watching the team on the television, the dark opening at the start as the radio received the broadcast (Great use of sound in this scene by the way). But my favourite is most definitely the scene where Walter stands in the lab looking on as Nina reaches out to stop Walter crossing to the parallel universe and the everything is completely frozen except for the mist. It was so powerful visually. This music in this scene was so moving also.

As for progression of characters we see Peter and Olivia overcoming past events. But really this was Walter's story. He's a man haunted by his past, desperately trying to save the future. He looked in the book when he new he shouldn't have. Has he really changed at all? His hallucination of Carla Warren doesn't seem to think so. I love the character of Walter. And I love John Noble's performance.

Contrary to what seems to be popular opinion on the episode, this is potentially my favourite episode of the season. I thought it was great and necessary addition to the show that pulled from the show's past, answering the question of the lab assistant fire, bringing to light the man Walter once was and potentially still is, and the discovery of the young observer. There is a great sense of cohesion created through this episode which must be incredibly difficult to do for a show that has constantly reinvented itself.
  • Walter Bishop's Flying Circus

A really great treat to true Fringe addicts like myself. We get one last "weird" Fringe episode like the number 19's from seasons passed that managed to incorporate all the 19's at once - it was set in the future, the whole episode was led by the music (seriously, the soundtrack in this one deserves its own Emmy) and it has animation and LSD. Add to this the natural progression of the story, mixed with an episode that on its surface is the lighthearted adventure we needed after so much doom and gloom (great timing, guys in the writers room!) but underneath is a much darker story line that - though I seem to be in the minority with this - makes Walter's concerns about the man he was before the pieces of his brain were removed seem much more human and real.

9.8/10
  • Tripping again

Not much happened. Another episode with Walter tripping and experiencing mind control issues. Animation was cool, but I am personally very tired already of the whole Walter's brain situation. It is being repeated and repeated and repeated. And I cannot care that much about this whiny Walter and his brains. He used to be a fun part of the show when there were scientific things to discover or play around. But not anymore. About the observer boy, it showed up in an episode from the first season, I believe, that's why he knows Olivia. I hope they will bring September somehow into the story at the end, because otherwise a LOT of people are going to be dissapointed :)
  • Fringe.

First i thought they would open up the alternate universe to help in winning the war against the Observers, but i think that ship has sailed. When Michael said he knew who Olivia was, straight away i thought Michael is September. If he is, then they have a chance against the Observers, I'll be tthe first to say i dont read spoilers, but it would be a big disappointment if we didn't win this war against the Observers. Thumbs Up.
  • We have seen it all before

What is it, script writers? We have seen it all before, so why are you serving us the same stuff, cold this time? Walter tripping, animations, blah, blah. After some very best episodes, such rubbish? What a disappointment. The only thing that happened in this episode was finding and taking the boy. Not only we, the viewers, but also the world-saving team do not know what for.
  • "you were him longer than you were you"

Sure, the idea that Walter doesn't want to revert to the man he was is not new, but using the two people who tried to stop him in 1985, Carla Warren and Nina, to embody this idea, was a clever storytelling device. I still find it really weird that Walter refers to his old self as "he", but I can accept that. The replay from "Peter" in the end was a bit too long, but present-day Walter's reaction made it worth it.

We finally learn why exactly Carla died, and why Walter felt so guilty about it he went cuckoo, and we learn about Sam Weiss' whereabouts ( at least he didn't die without a fight ! who thought he was such a badass ? ) ... the writers seem to be tying loose ends, and that's a good thing.

I didn't even mention the insane, Terry Gilliam-esque, Gene-riding cartoon yet ! That was really funny, and such a breath of fresh air in an otherwise gloomy season.

Two big questions remain : who's Donald ? ( September, I bet ) and what was that Observer HQ scene ? Was Walter just hallucinating, or was his old self really ready to sell the team to the Observers ? ( I hope that was just a nightmare ... ) The main plot is still making baby steps, but this time it wasn't really annoying.