Fringe

Bound

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jan 20, 2009 on FOX

• When the writers' credit for a single episode contains no less than four names, you know you're in for a bit of a cluster ****.

When the writers' credit for a single episode contains no less than four names, you know you're in for a bit of a cluster ****. 'Bound' feels like a decidedly disjointed effort, perhaps reflecting the method of its composition. It certainly isn't much of a stretch to determine that a couple of folks worked on the investigation, one handled the (somewhat unwelcome) character drama and the other, namely J.J. Abrams, focused on the elements pertaining to the show's on-going mythology which, it must be said, were frustratingly obtuse and maddeningly minuscule. Within the space of the first seven minutes, the episode puts to bed the highly dramatic cliffhanger that we ended 'Safe' on, and this feels rather like a cop out. After giving us a month's build, thirty days of pondering just what happened to Olivia and how she and her fellow Fringe Division compadres are going to handle it, she's out of her kidnappers' hands quicker than you can say 'postulated'? And with a trick as completely obvious as asking for a glass of water? Oh come on. Are you telling me these people have been living in a cave all their lives? That they aren't aware that it's Kidnapping 101 not to let your victim do or so anything? Jesus tap dancing Christ. So anyway, with this pesky cliffhanger out of the way, 'Bound' gets down to the apparently important stuff: introducing two utterly pointless, and thoroughly annoying, peripheral characters into the mix in an effort to create, ooo, 'conflict' and, aaah, 'emotional resonance'. Pah. The introduction of the FBI agent who just happened to be the guy that Olivia put away for sexual assault is completely and utterly contrived and, rather than create enticing tension, is simply going to royally piss viewers off. This tool? Hampering all of the investigations? Sticking his nose in where it really, really isn't wanted? It's not interesting guys, it's just annoying. And as for the sister... well, the jury's out I suppose as she didn't really do anything but then, that's possibly the point. It seems she is going to be used to give the writers an excuse to have Olivia reflect on the complex nature of her life every once in a while. Which would be fine if we actually cared. But frankly, what with all the crazy spinal taps, super size common colds and matter penetration that's going on around Ms Dunham, there are other things we'd rather spend our time with, thanks. The investigation narrative is actually quite entertaining, if only because the idea is a novel one, and at least we get to see the duplicitous Mitchell Loeb again and he gives a couple of intriguing lines, particularly relating to the idea that they are trying to 'save' Olivia rather than cause her any harm. Still, it would be nice if we could have a little more of this and a little less irritating character 'drama'. Reading this back, I have perhaps been a little unfair to 'Bound': it certainly isn't a bad episode; in fact, it's quite an enjoyable one. It's just, after the grandiose events of 'Safe', I was really expecting something more. I mean, we didn't even get to see Mr. Jones. Meh.