Fringe

Brave New World (1)

Aired Friday 9:00 PM May 04, 2012 on FOX

• And the threads begin to gather

This season's finale looks like it is going to be different than any other's so far. Even with the elimination of the Redverse last week, we weren't disappointed. It might have been time, but i'm still a little sore about that goodbye... I trust Fringe writers, though!

The case was interesting, the personal connection a little forced. I don't think a lot of people realized that Olivia was suggesting she was open to children. After all, that is far healthier than just telling your partner if you haven't set plans yet (and I have a feeling they hadn't set plans yet). We all know that Etta is coming, though the promo for next week makes me wonder...

Anyway, I was totally shocked by Bell's return! That man...really. I hope they spend time on this version's backstory, because I'm really curious, and a little suspicious. (On another note, I hope Nina gets more time on-screen! She's fantastic--and she loved him!) And this Walter's reaction was great, although I can't help but think Bell would have updated the design a bit after all those years.

The ending was incredible. Olivia shows a scary new power (some hints would have been nice), and saves Peter. Jones (again) has his face cut in half. He was the bishop! And then, Astrid gets to be an action agent--until she gets SHOT! I was SHOCKED, and I'm not going to say a word more about it--I'll just wait for next week!

Also worthy of mention:

Bad: Need more about those nanites! Also, the "don't move" thing was a little weird. Also, where the heck was Broyles when he saw the light thingy! And the light thingy needed more explantion. Darn the time limit! Oh, and chess? The only thing new about a villain playing a long game of chess was the Bishop pun.

Good: The whole Walter and Astrid dynamic/adventure! Fantastic! And great spontaneous combustion special effects. Great job as always to one of the few healthy, star-crossed couples on TV today; their talking, kissing, and other interactions are so perfect.