Fringe

Dream Logic

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 15, 2009 on FOX

• Dream Logic

Who will die, who is living. Hardens in tears and wears heavy coat of mourning. These hours, days, years, lives, exists in every corner of our reality and are also present in the universe of "Fringe."

Charlie (Kirk Acevedo) died. The eternal companion, partner, protector and friend of Olivia (Anna Torv). And it was this pain that was portrayed in the spaces during this "Dream Logic". Although we have provided little information along the way, the relationship between these two workers was of the few that always sounded sincere. There was chemistry there and complicity, admiration and love, he felt that in small gestures and actions. So goodbye deserve some airtime actually, a few tears. There were those endless funeral with flashbacks or scenes in slow motion, just a few dialogues from old memories and more a game of bowling you that offers the peace of mind at the end of the episode. This anagram, this response has to find itself able to provide a scene with interest and heart.

The rest. Woe to the rest. The truth was this: one more case useless. I concluded that most cases of the first season, moving away from the central plot, could have some connectivity to the same because everyone ended up at Massive Dynamics. As soon as this appears to pass to the side of the research team is lost and this purpose is gained an empty. What are cases like the "boy mole" or this "Suresh addicted to dreams"? I still thought, want to look and see that no mystery that the doctor is not the real culprit. I thought wrong and my levels of enthusiasm back to zero. Even the frequent allusions to past experiences of Walter (John Noble) disappeared. A "dream" of Peter (Joshua Jackson) to keep us on the pulse and the story ends.

The new agent is still not appear. Olivia seems to be cured of all ills that brought another dimension (including the refined hearing) and not realize it was because it had recovered memories or whether it was through their sessions of "therapy". I do not understand, how much content can be delayed and wasted 40 minutes. And as time passes, it is increasingly difficult to tolerate a filler like this.
  • Not the greatest but good

Well not the greatest of episodes but still good. Didn't really care for the case, I don't know if they were trying to make this into a mystery case or just trying to gather information on whats happening. You already knew who did since they arrive at the doctor office and I knew the assistant was helping too. This episode I saw the observer walking down the stairs while Olivia was talking on the phone at the doctors office. I been seeing him a lot lately behind the seens and sometimes on tv very creepy. Sometimes I wonder they don't notice him lol. At the end Walter dad was taking Peter from his bed when he was a boy, damn this mystery about him is getting to me I want know lol.
  • Same pattern, an amazing episode, and then these episodes, which are interesting in their own, but always provide us with cliff hangers full of questions. Warning, spoilers contained below.

Another filler type episode, this one better than some of late. There is one annoying thing that keeps being hinted at, which I think was obvious a long time ago. Peter died as a kid, and Walter somehow grabbed him from the other side so that he wouldn't have to live without his son. This is what I have gathered for some time now, and something that keeps getting hinted at. The women who could see people who were from the other side saw that Peter was not from this side, and the gravestone of Peter that Walter visited some time back. Now this episode, with the nightmares, most likely they were of being taken from the other side by his father. That's probably why Walter helped Peter with how to not remember his dreams. But now it seems, Walter is being faced with the reality of what he did, over and over, I just wonder when he will finally tell Peter the truth. It really seems to be eating at him from the inside. Anyways, I am not sure if all these hints are meant to let us know, or build up tension to when Walter finally tells Peter the truth, either way, there is probably something more to it all then what I believe happened. Nothing ever is quite as simple as we think in this show. I have to admit though, I do grow tired of the same pattern this show loves to provide us with. One awesome episode with a lot of juicy information, then filler type episodes with cliff hangers at the end which get mostly ignored in the next episodes until it builds up to another climax and we see an episode which tells us about some of the answers we want. There are still a lot of questions that are left over from season one which have not been addressed; I would really love some conclusion with some of those. Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.
  • What isn't a drug these days?!

I would love to see the EEG's, CT Brain Scans and MRI's from the creators and writers of this series! I mean, HOW does anyone come up with these ideas, and then make them so...possible? I'm still struggling with how they all relate, but I'm sure it'll be in fine style when all is revealed!

I just love "Walter" more and more each episode. I still think John Noble gives one of the best performances on TV today, and its a shame that good performance doesn't equal popularity contest, doesn't equal Emmy...but I digress... Walter to the rescue again though I'm not certain Good Clinical Practice guidelines were followed in his...um...research. And what's to happen when Peter remembers his dreams?

Olivia has really scored with her unconventional therapist. I know a bowling alley is where I'd go if I were in need of a therapist! I wonder what his real connection to all of this is?

Kudos the the viewers who are putting the puzzle that is this season together! I am still trying to complete the borders of the puzzle. On the other hand, I don't give up easily either...
  • good episode overall, my predictions of the future...

ok, its fairly obvious now that peter was dragged into our universe from the other one when he was a little boy. i havent read or googled about the show or forums, but from what i remember, Walter or Peter was talking about a near death experience with the Pepper eating guy and how Peter almost drowned. I think that Walter's Peter did drown, if not that then died some other way; Walter then used the machine, went to the other universe and took that Peter. Didnt he go visit Peter's grave once in the first season? anyway, this episode, Peter was reliving some of that kidnapping memory i think. not only this... I THINK the invasion of the mercury men from the other universe could be Walter's fault. since he's a genius with flexible morals in our universe, what about the Walter in the other universe? maybe the other Walter went beyond angry that his son was abducted by our universe walter that he decided to invade and destroy our universe... destroying an universe might be excessive for most parents, but keep in mind that this is a man of unmatched intelligence, and little morality on experimentation or the idea of right and wrong... with those traits and the loss of his son, he (the alternate walter) could definitely set out to destroy and take his vengeance on all the universe.

my two cents... and again, i have not read any spoilers or plan to , this is just my guess based on tonight's ep.
  • Not Fringy, but was good overall...

7.7
    I guess JJ Abrams and Co. decided to give the parallel universe thingy an one episode break, and perhaps settled on writing a totally unconnected episode.

The case was interesting nonetheless, and the story was definitely engaging for the whole 1 hour. But somehow, it didn't feel Fringe-like. I mean the whole putting a chip in your brain and downloading your dreams simply seems like a second class idea that other low-quality Sci-Fi's do. The doc getting a drug like high after putting on a weirdo brain headgear and killing people by making them hallucinate and age and die seems unconvincing. I seriously hope they get back to the main story. What about the guy who opens the door between universes? I hope they bring him back..
  • The most flawless way to advance a show myth arc on a unitary episode.

Dream logic starts in Seattle after father & son move in to their new home and Olivia starts a new project to trigget her memory. Walter still afraid to leave the lab because everything reminds him the mental asylum flies back home along with an agent with especific instructions made by his son.

As they notice the victims were part of a study to treat sleep disorders Peter confesses to Olivia he had night terrors when he was 8, only a year after Peter died here, add Olivia's confesion that the hardest part about Charlie is to accept that he won't come back and we know exactly where the Bishops were 20 years ago.

The nightmares not only served to illustrate that Peter does remember what happened to him but are also the key to solve the murders made by the alter personality of the Doctor Nyak, his own demon, triggered during his study. A perfect parallel to the Bishops as Peter himself has another nightmare about his childhood and dreams of his father standing over him ...just as he was when he kidnapped him 20 years ago.
  • An entertaining and exciting break from the mythology episodes, with some bits of extra information on the characters and Peter's ambiguous situation...

After the mind-blowing previous episode, this is an expected break in the core mythology plotline. I liked it a great deal, especially the little pieces completing the overall puzzle and adding more depth to character interaction. The assignment the bowling guy gave Olivia, the phrase that came out of it in the end, Peter's nightmare, Peter and Olivia discussing Charlie's death. They're starting to develop an (almost imperceptible at this point) chemistry between them and it will be interesting to observe the results. Walter's character is also given even more depth, when he refuses to examine the body in the hospital because it reminds him of the mental institution. He may have been adjusting to his new environment but the old wounds are still there, his experience has clearly traumatized him. Also, when he knocks the agent out and places the chip in his head, that was simply priceless! A man with his heart set on science if ever I saw one!

The only reason I'm giving this epi a 9 instead of 10 is that I had some trouble connecting some of the dots in the main storyline. The good doctor invents a microchip that tackles sleep disorders basically originating from dream content, such as nightmares and sleepwalking. The way it does that is by "emptying" the dream content from the regions it can be normally stored in the brain, to itself. So the brain is discharged from the dream content, while the microchip apparently retains it. So far so good. Now the doctor's "alter ego", his evil persona so to speak, has computer access to all of his patients' microchips, implanted in their brains. He uses his computer interface to connect himself with his patients, he increases the activity in their hypothalamus (the chip in the patients' brain is wireless) and derives extreme pleasure from that process. Walter does the same and he sees "Green unicorns in the room". Later he describes the experience as the best dream one has ever had multiplied by ten. So we must assume the pleasure derived is visual, or related to the dream content of the patient. But the doctor is connected live with his patients, and gets a high while they are having hallucinations from the stimulation of their hypothalamus. They're not sleeping and not having dreams at the time, instead they're having scary hallucinations. Why would he enjoy that and what does it have to do with the dreams downloaded by the chip?

I tried to find an explanation and the only one I ended up with is this: the whole process takes place via simulation, the chip in the doctor's interface imitates perfectly that in the patient's brain, producing the exact same stimulation, electrical impulses, and general activity in the doctor's brain and that results in the doctor having the exact same experience as the patient. That solves the problem of how the technology works, but not the timeline issue: which content does the doctor finally receive, the hallucinations or the dreams? I think a better explanation would ace this otherwise great episode.
  • Finally, a well written episode worthy of our attention! Walter is further revealed as more than your ordinary creepy old guy; Olivia finally takes a warrior's heroic stance against the dark forces confronting her; and Peter… Well, poor Peter…

I struggled very hard to rate this episode a solid 9 or 10, but based upon past performance, I ultimately cannot bestow such a high rating on this episode. And I understand why many will find fault with me for not doing so, but in order to move beyond simply a Great rating, Fringe will need to demonstrate a real commitment to solid and consistent storytelling.

This episode obviously was not as heavily weighed down with the significant amount of lazy storytelling that has been evident in too many episodes of Fringe. (C'mon, folks. Don't hate. I'm just keepin' it real.) I especially appreciate the attention given to Olivia's need to mourn the loss of her partner. In fact, I was willing to forgive the fact that Olivia had been so self-involved in previous episodes that she did not even suspect that Charlie was no longer her Charlie.

(And it was kind of stupid for the guys to keep telling Olivia that the shape changer wasn't Charlie - it would have been better for them to say something to the effect that there was nothing she could have done, i.e., IT had fooled everybody- even his wife!)

And the opening scene of the employee storming in to essentially kill his boss was brilliantly written and played. It was a most appropriate (and very relatable) setting in which to set the tone of a refreshingly macabre story. Yes, it was reminiscent of yet another X-Files-like episode, but it was well done and effectively tied to the greater themes attempted (albeit, oftentimes clumsily so) in Fringe. And when Walter just had to escape from Seattle, not only could I more than relate because I have been to Seattle (sorry, just wasn't the place for me), but Walter is obviously a creepy old guy with many a great dark secret; and his greater knowledge of what is ultimately going on was well presented.

However, I didn't like the fact that Peter chose some random guy (the dude from Scrubs) to escort Walter home, and I did not like the writer's failure to address Walter's assault on the dude from Scrubs. This was just disturbing on so many levels, and it represented a lost opportunity to bring some measure of depth to Astrid's character as she should have vehemently objected to experimenting on someone without their knowledge. Again, another example of the sloppy storytelling that tends to plague Fringe.

In summary, this episode represented the best illustration of what this inventive story can bring to the table. It even finally presented an authentic hint of the possibility of something romantic developing between Peter and Olivia. And the final scene in which creepy old guy Walter snatches a young Peter was nightmare inducing. A great final touch! And can someone tell me what that "thing" with the big eye was in the mirror? I have replayed it a dozen times on my DVR and still cannot figure it out. And this my dear friends is the ultimate joy that can be experienced from this show. If only the writers would quit being lazy and pay attention to the details – on a consistent basis - that endeavor to keep us up at night. Peace Out!

P.S.

Did Peter steal that apple? I'm just sayin'…..
  • The addiction of dreams

This season of "Fringe" continues to swing from mythology-heavy episodes to more self-contained installments, and this is one of the latter. There are some elements that speak to the larger questions, but overall, this seems to be a case that only serves to explore character thematically.

The case itself had some interesting aspects, particularly in terms of how human perception might be altered or controlled. This has been one of the recurring themes of "Fringe", so it's not a surprising direction for a case to take. It raises the question of the influence of one's subconscious: is it simply a conglomeration of all the internal influences operating below our active awareness, or is it something that can easily be manipulating and controlled by the external?

Walter gives a convincing reason why this particular experiment would yield an addict. Yet one could look at some of the experiments that Walter has conducted and wonder if there is a less powerful yet potent addiction at play. Walter seems to have a certain penchant for pushing the human mind beyond its normalized perception, and he craves it even when he is not the one pushing the boundaries personally.

As always, Walter's perceptions must be questioned. Why does he have such an issue with Seattle? Was it just the psychological reaction to the visual cues of the restraints? That would have been understandable, but there were other situations that would or should have pushed the same buttons. So what was so specific about this circumstance?

For Peter, the case might have revealed a growing subconscious awareness that his memories of his childhood may not quite add up. This episode begins to explain why Alt-Peter doesn't remember being abducted by Walter Prime in the first place: Walter must have wiped away certain memories and used other techniques, like the one Peter described, to prevent those memories from being recognized within dreams and nightmares.

Speaking of the abduction, which appears to have been the case based on Peter's dream, we may have been given a date. The matter has certainly been on Walter's mind of late, but close to the end of the episode, a date is scrawled on a blackboard: June 28th, 1984. What is the significance of that date? Peter Prime's gravestone gave a year of death of 1985, so there could be a connection. Could Alt-Peter have been abducted before Peter Prime died? Walter's dialogue in earlier episodes doesn't seem to support that theory, but with Walter, everything must be taken with a grain of salt. It would also be interesting to compare that to the time period during which Olivia was part of the cortexiphan experiments.

Olivia's progress with her recovery is taking a subconscious path, which is what her new guru started in the first place. Getting her back on her feet utilized a subconscious trigger, and relying on the brain's tendency to find patterns within the seemingly random was a nice way to deliver a reaffirming message and give her closure on Charlie's fate. (I do find it odd, though, that she has yet to consider her response to Charlie's death in relation to Agent Scott's death, just months earlier.)

It occurred to me, by the end of the episode, that we haven't seen Agent Jessup in a little while. I liked the idea of expanding the supporting cast into new areas, and Charlie's exit leaves a hole to be filled. Agent Jessup seemed primed and ready to take on that role, so the writers should probably see to that sooner rather than later, if this episode was indeed meant to give Olivia an emotional coda to her relationship to Charlie.
  • A man attacks his boss after a disturbing dream and the team travels to Seattle to investigate. Meanwhile, Broyles meets with Nina Sharp to find out more about the chip that is flipping people out.

Contrary to the previous reviewer I love the fact that Fringe can still do stories outside the main arc and that they can focus on their characters instead of the rush rush of action. I don't know why the guy feels his "theory" is validated based off the ratings but he may need to check the arrogance at the door.

Who knows why the numbers are not all that hot for Fringe; I for one love the fact that they dealt with Olivia's mental state. Some of us like shows that deal with realistic reactions, actions, and states of mind instead of running from one action scene to another in some dumb fashion.

John Noble continues to show that he is one outstanding actor; I mean this guy deserves some awards on a major scale!!!! Every single scene that involved him was on an excellent scale. Every emotion, every action was well done!

The scene of him drugging the agent and then whistling about it was hilarious. His opening fear of being away from the lab was felt. His acting was so great that the reaction from the other actors in the scenes were well done!!

Agent Casher's scenes were good from beginning to end as he is exposed to the world of the "Fringe" unit LOL! He comes in arrogant with his three years in the FBI and is totally shocked by what he comes upon!

Contrary to "fanof's" review, Fringe has not always focused on the alternate universe which is obviously the main arc/plot of the show. Sometimes it's nice to deal with the characters and other "Fringe" like issues.

The overall story about the chip and nightmares was good but I won't go into details there. The bowling alley guru was good as he gives Olivia unorthodox means of dealing with her issues.

Last but not least was the revealing of Peter being kidnapped from the alternate universe and how he ends up having a nightmare about that night. How it ties end with his nightmares up the eight years old is interesting!!!

This was a well played episode besides a few small things that didn't seem to fit or were forced into the story to make it run. Fringe continues to do well...too bad many nowadays are too focused on action, monsters, and CGI to appreciate character development, character reactions to previous issues, and plot development! `
  • Patients involved in a sleep deprivation study begin to suffer halucinations that lead them to kill. The team investigates. Some spoilers.

Yeah I like Fringe. I love where I think it might be going but so far, five eps into season 2, it does seem to be getting there very slowly.

This was a perfectly servicable episode but nothing within in really truly gripped or moved me. Sure it was interesting to see that Peter may be remembering his own abduction but we, as viewers already knew that, so unless we see some major reason for him not to know - other than the obvious one of being pissed with Walter - then what's the big deal with him finding out so slowly? That storm is gonna come to pass and, from what we know of Peter's character, will probably pass without too much fuss. By the time the character discovers the truth it will have been one of the least freaky events he has been asked to bear witness to.

Yes, again, it's nice to see Olivia being taught to use the creative side of her brain rather than the logicical, but the bowling alley guy is getting a bit hokey for my tastes, and again, this segment of the story arc is also moving quite slowly.

The main plot was fine, well done and performed nicely by all, but slight and meaningless overall.
    Of course the echoes were all in place for the subplot as well but on that front we have little movement.

The future of where the series is headed is so vague as to diminish the overall tension almost completely. There is another parallel universe, and they are sending through super soldiers because they want to destroy us, and...that's about it really.

So far one came into our world at the same time as Olivia, took over the body of a minor rock star, then jumped ship into one of the secondary characters, sat in a room with a freaky typewriter and then failed to kill Olivia, even with super strength and the advantage of surprise. So presumably these people aren't sending their top recruits. Perhaps Acevedo's character was meant to be inhibiting the kill function of the operative but there was no clue to this, that would be me adding plausibility, to help my own brain make sense of the senseless.

I am sticking with Fringe, as I like it and think it will repay the watching eventually but just for now I'd like a little bit more information to work out why I should be so concerned and then maybe the tension will rachet up a bit more and I can get back to being a bit more more excited about the show itself. Random tidbits ain't doing it for me no matter how cleverly they're gonna be tied up. I want to see these guys looking over their shoulders, preparing for war, and when I feel the stakes are that high then I will be concerned and entertained properly.

Thanks for popping by.
  • What we need, Fringe, is for you to surprise us... not to become stuck in a rut.

It is notoriously difficult to follow centre-piece episodes, especially when your subject matter is far, far removed from the driving force of a show's ongoing narrative. Stand alone hours are probably the bane of most writers' existence for that solitary reason: you need something truly original, really engaging, in order to compete with the heavyweights. Unfortunately, while 'Dream Logic' really tries its hardest, it just can't seem to come up with the goods. Singer's script has a nice twist, sure: making the crime's investigator and supposed victim actually be the perpetrator is a good touch, but its realisation is ultimately too illogical and, well, silly. The revelation causes the plot to sort of fizzle out and it quickly becomes apparent that there's nothing or no one left for the guy to 'feed' from; yes, it's rather admirable for him to effectively take his own life, but it sort of deflates the narrative, eradicating all the forward momentum that was generated by the intricacies of the investigation. Quite literally, we receive the epiphany one minute and the story is over in the next. It fails to pay off the rather well-handled build up and makes the episode as a whole feel a bit disappointing.

There are other problems too: the constant reliance on Peter's mysterious connections is actually referenced and even made fun of, but it's starting to be far from a joke. It seems that whenever the writers corner themselves, they whip out this convenient trope in order to move things along, and it's far beyond the point of being amusingly transparent. The premise of the episode is also a little lacking, wrapped up as it is in such a bloody predictable set of intricacies. Once again, we have some experimental scientists treating those with problems and lo and behold, it goes wrong! It was only two episodes ago that we saw this very story unfold in the rather lacklustre 'Fracture' and it really is only the minutiae, the window dressing, that differ. Consequently, the major beats of the plot lack oomph and the storytelling just feels lazy. In fact, Fringe did this plot umpteen times in its debut season so by now, we're all so anaesthesised to it that it fails to truly engage. This is why hours like 'Momentum Deferred' are so welcome, because they try something different with the formula; they deviate from the pattern (to coin a phrase.) Yes, there is a lot of good here - the acting's top notch, the genuine emotion generated by Charlie's death is quite moving - but what we need, Fringe, is for you to surprise us... not to become stuck in a rut.
  • A waste of time and painful to watch.

Okay, I know that they don't want to continue the whole series mystery over every episode, but what the hell was that?

"Hey, we just learned that somebody is trying to open a door to another universe right now in order to destroy us..."
    - "Oh, never mind, that's not important. We'll just investigate another case and worry about that universe thing four episodes later."

Seriously, whether you like case-of-the-week-episodes or not, but after the events of the episode last week, no institution in the world would just go on with regular business.

I mean, either you do a stupid procedural copy of the X-Files, or you create a serial about the war of two universes. But don't mix up both in a painful way.
  • Fringe make head hurt.

Fringe went from the most kick anus sci-fi show on television, to just rubbish. This is an attempt to recapture the magic of The X Files, instead of carving out its own niche, and it even fails in that regard. Stop focusing on Olivia's mental health state. Nobody cares about that, and the fact that only 5.8 million people are tuning in validates my theory. People want some exciting, jaw-dropping monster and such.

If Fringe wants to see a third season they seriously need to reconsider the current direction of the program and make some drastic, drastic changes. I just wonder if it is too late.
  • Subpar when compared to the previous episode.. but I suppose that's inevitable.

With the exception of a few shows, it seems inevitable that a great groundbreaking episode that reveals a ton of new details and cranks the intensity to an 11 will follow up with a weak one that leaves you salivating for more. This was Fringe's oppurtunity to donate their name to that list. This episode was good, but not great. It had its moments, but for the most part, they did nothing in the way of clearing up what happened with the cryogenic head and Olivia's foray into an alternative universe again (even if it was just in her head).

I feel like the actors who play Olivia and Peter are just mailing in their performances. They're a little more wooden than last year (there are exceptions, of course, but this episode didn't impress me much) and their plots are not nearly as interesting. The one thing I'm still waiting for, anxiously and patiently, is for Peter to find out that he's from another universe. The nightmare he had at the end of this episode seems to be indicating a reveal in the near future, and I feel this will add some much needed tension into the show.

I don't think Fringe is losing it yet. It still has plenty of story to tell. They just need to find a more interesting and exciting way to reveal it. And as for the ratings? I don't necessarily think it's because people don't like the show. I'm blaming it on the fact that Grey's Anatomy, The Office, Supernatural and CSI, all shows with heavily supportive fan bases, are on at the same exact time, and of those shows, Supernatural is similar in content. There's going to be a dropoff when you take a show out of a successful time slot and stick it right in the middle of a ratings storm.

I'm looking forward to the big moments in Fringe.. but these smaller episodes that don't reveal much.. they're not as interesting as they used to be.