a little question about Fringe and Doctor Who's "Age of Steel"

Lccf

[1]Jul 23, 2012
    • level: 13

Hello, Fringe and Doctor Who lovers out there.

I was watching the Doctor's alternate-universe adventure recently, and I noticed some similarities with Fringe : in both shows, zeppelins and earplugs are a signature of the alternate universe. In both shows, one of the regular's dead relatives is alive in the alt-universe ( Olivia's mom / Rose's dad ). In both cases, one of the regulars, after his double has been killed, remains behind to complete his job, and because he felt unwanted in his home universe anyway ( Lincoln / Mickey ).

So, my question is : did Fringe writers knew about the Who story ? Did they mention it one way or another ? I can imagine my second and third points could just be alt-universes tropes, but the zeppelins puzzle me : are theyan hommage, or just plain coincidence ?

By the way, I enjoy both shows, so let's not turn it into a battle over each show's worth, shall we ? ( Fringe is waaaaaaaaay better with alternate universes, but they had way more episodes to do so ! )

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[2]Jul 30, 2012
    • level: 13
    Lccf wrote:

Hello, Fringe and Doctor Who lovers out there.

I was watching the Doctor's alternate-universe adventure recently, and I noticed some similarities with Fringe : in both shows, zeppelins and earplugs are a signature of the alternate universe. In both shows, one of the regular's dead relatives is alive in the alt-universe ( Olivia's mom / Rose's dad ). In both cases, one of the regulars, after his double has been killed, remains behind to complete his job, and because he felt unwanted in his home universe anyway ( Lincoln / Mickey ).

So, my question is : did Fringe writers knew about the Who story ? Did they mention it one way or another ? I can imagine my second and third points could just be alt-universes tropes, but the zeppelins puzzle me : are theyan hommage, or just plain coincidence ?

By the way, I enjoy both shows, so let's not turn it into a battle over each show's worth, shall we ? ( Fringe is waaaaaaaaay better with alternate universes, but they had way more episodes to do so ! )

There are several similarities/coincidences between the two shows besides what you mentioned. I have even found websites and videos dedicated to revealing these similarities/coincidences. This cannot be by chance.

historylover20

[3]Aug 5, 2012
    • level: 28

Actually, zeppelins are a pretty common way in sci-fi to show that you're in another universe. It's even a trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZeppelinsFromAnotherWorld. Zeppelins are very recognizable, and they're something that don't really exist today.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Equilibrium, Blade Runner, Golden Compass, Stardust are all sci-fi movies that feature zeppelins to show that it's taking place in an alternative world.

Stargate SG-1 and Caprica has used zeppelins to show another world.

While I don't know how coincidental it is--these two episodes of Doctor Who could have influenced Fringe--zeppelins, at least, are fairly common.

Kat

Zwingli4

[4]Aug 7, 2012
    • level: 16

historylover20 wrote:

Actually, zeppelins are a pretty common way in sci-fi to show that you're in another universe. It's even a trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ZeppelinsFromAnotherWorld. Zeppelins are very recognizable, and they're something that don't really exist today.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Equilibrium, Blade Runner, Golden Compass, Stardust are all sci-fi movies that feature zeppelins to show that it's taking place in an alternative world.

Stargate SG-1 and Caprica has used zeppelins to show another world.

While I don't know how coincidental it is--these two episodes of Doctor Who could have influenced Fringe--zeppelins, at least, are fairly common.

Kat

Actually there are a few zeppelins around today. The zeppelin company started building them again, but just a few. The modern ones have tilt rotors (so they can be slightly heavier, not lighter than, airships) and a side rotor like on a helicopter.Still they are just used for sight seeing, 2 in Los Angeles CA, and a couple in Switzerland. www.airships.net/zeppelin-nt

Edited on 08/07/2012 2:49am
    Edited 3 total times.