Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Is Fox trying to get Fringe Cancelled?

kokonut1971

[1]Nov 26, 2009
    • level: 3

Hi all,

Like many people , i feel that Fox is trying real hard to ruin the ratings of Fringe so that it can get cancelled.

-Change of day- going against other fan favorite shows----dumb move # 1

-Change of day caused show to be delayed because of sport events-------dumb move # 2

-Show taking a break after x-mas for sport events---ok that one i can take...but still dumb.

-Erratic schedule---dumb move # 3

It feels liek it is on and off, on and off, expecting a show this week but there is none...this pi$$e$ me off.

The show is brilliant yet the power at fox have no clue on how to manage and schedule the show so that it is constant and that this "crack" drug is fed on a weekly basis to their fans.

People are very vindictive and remember that type of stupidity and will move on to other shows thus the show might lose some viewers and might not get renewed for another season.

I can hear fox saying noe renewing the show because of poor ratings, poor ratings that they themselves caused because they are a bunch of incompetent decision makers who are playing with the show like it is a deck of playing cards at a poker game...gambling on events that they are not even sure will jive with the fans.

I pray to god that all that BS does not affect the show and that the show does indeed survive for a long time. It is intelligent tv, well above all that reality tv crap that we see on every channel...

peace

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[2]Nov 26, 2009
    • level: 28

OK, some of these are just commonplace.

It is absolutely stupid to have moved Fringe to Thursdays. And preempting for "Post Life" in 2010 is ridiculous. (No one watch "Post Life.")

But, no matter what night it was going to be, it was going to be preempted for the World Series. Although baseball might not be popular in other countries, it brought in the ratings for Fox from the countries that matter to the network--US and Canada. Today is a national holiday in the US, so a lot of specials air on regular networks. Right now, I'm watching the Paul McCartney concert on ABC rather than the usual thing that airs on ABC.

Sorry guys in other countries--American networks really don't care about you. Which stinks, is stupid. But, US and Canada are the two countries that get tested for ratings. Sports events bring the ratings. And holidays always screw up network TV.

Every show on Fox was preempted for the World Series. Now, showing a new episode a night after the World Series ended was pretty stupid, because not too many people knew it was a new one.

Many shows are preempted through the holiday season, just due to the nature of the season. A lot of specials air.

Now, Fox did do an unorthodox advertising campaign with the Observers. If it wasn't thinking it wouldn't succeed, it wouldn't have spent that money to send Observers out. Also, you can spot Observers in a lot of things airing on Fox--football games, American Idol (or the Observer sat in the audience last year a couple times).

But, it does need to move to another night than Thursdays. DVR and TIVO ratings are very good for Fringe (usually increases its live ratings by 35-40%.) But Thursdays really is a bad night. And it absolutely should not move to Fridays. If it does, then Fox is really trying to kill it.

Kat

Edited on 11/26/2009 7:17pm

jack756

[3]Dec 10, 2009
    • level: 14
    i do feel the same i mean sci-fi shows dont get enough credit.i like watching syfy b/c it gives me and escape from the real world but companies dont understand how important shows like that are to ppl .they cancell fringe im done with fox they cancel dark angel,now dollhouse,and the next is fringe.if fringe goes im gone b/c they dont have any more sci-fi shows.so i do agree with yall

dh4645

[4]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 15
    are they moving it to mondays officially?
    i would like that. too many other shows on thursdays

historylover20

[5]Jan 12, 2010

I read an article (sorry, no link), where Fox President Kevin Reilly is happy with Fringe right where it's at--on Thursday nights.

He said that, yes, it's struggling in the ratings. But, due to the Bones/Fringe lineup, Fox is up 52% in ratings on Thursdays. He did say that they might move it, but that's something to discuss in May.

Finally, he said, "[Fringe is] in a creative groove with it. We have a great relationship with the producers. They're delivering a quality show and it's got an audience. And if you look at the Live 7 numbers [the number of people who watch it within seven days of broadcast on DVR], it does cume up above a 3. The audience hasn't entirely left it behind; they're just watching it on their DVR. So I don't know. We'll just have to see what happens in May."

Kat

veryoldguy

[6]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 2
    I completely agree with the topic creator, Fox really does try to mess things up, everything that is on their network mostly gets cancelled. But Fringe is a masterpiece that is comparable to the all time favorite x-files, we cannot let those fascists take it off the air.

brn2act

[7]Feb 26, 2010

I also completely agree with the initial point: Fox has to at least on some level want Fringe gone. Although I understand the point that something has to fill that time slot, there are plenty of other shows that would do just as well. I just don't understand why Fringe has to be the sacrificial lamb, so to speak.

Based on what I have been seeing lately though, it looks like Fringe has a VERY good chance of being renewed for season 3. We can only hope Fox gives it a new night next year, because I'm not sure how long it can last with this kind of competition.

ginaanne

[8]Mar 3, 2010

Why would they want to intentionally get the show cancelled? I bought Fringe Season 1 dvd set & so far I love it. Never watch anything on the stations cause of my work schedule. So I'm big on Lost, Fringe, Heroes but download & buy the season sets when available. I agree with all the reality crap & talent show drivel well done science fiction is for the more intelligent viewers. Too bad seems as though we are in the minority. I loved Firefly & we know what happened there, it's too bad they don't want to invest in well done shows. I guess the reality sh** is cheaper to make.

odedmasse

[9]Mar 5, 2010
    • level: 5

Hello. I hope Fox will not cancelled this show.this is the most nice tv show i like. i have also purches the Dvd set of S1 and like it.

motleylil

[10]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 19

Moving it to thursday wasn't to get Fringe cancelled. I don't remember what took this spot, but if I remember correctly, they gave it to a new show that would have been destroyed had it been on thursday. And the "erratic" schedule is common practice. I mean, they've got 22 episode seasons, and there's more than 22 weeks from september to may, so you have to expect not getting an episode every week.

motleylil

[11]Mar 6, 2010

Oh, another thing, it's been renewed for a 3rd season.

Kalel18

[12]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 11
    motleylil wrote:

Oh, another thing, it's been renewed for a 3rd season.

For sure? That's good to hear. I'm "jonesing", waiting for 4/1.

I've been watching episodes of Criminal Minds in the interim. Can't believe I had never seen it till a few weeks ago, it's in its fifth season on CBS, plus reruns on A&E and ION. If there are any other Fringe fans out there who have never seen the show, I urge you to check it out. While it lacks the sci-fi element, it definitely doesn't lack in the "creep factor". It concerns the FBI's Behavior Analysis Unit. (Think Silence of the Lambs, but with a new psycho or serial killer every week). It's a very intense, at times gut-wrenching, and emotionally draining show. It is very well acted, with a great ensemble cast.

Sorry for the plug for another show on my favorite show's forum. I'm looking forward to the remainder of season 2 of Fringe.

historylover20

[13]Mar 6, 2010

It's for sure.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/03/06/exclusive-fringe-picked-up-for-a-third-season/

Kat

ginaanne

[14]Mar 6, 2010
    Cool, because after watching disc 3 last night of Season 1,I'm getting hooked! Now waiting for news on Heroes fate.

ginaanne

[15]Mar 6, 2010
    So far though Fringe is 'out there' I'm not finding it as complicated as Lost or Heroes. Alot of the stories are wrapped up within one show, which I like. I didn't care for the actress Anna Torv as Olivia at the start, but she's growing on me. Walter Bishop is a hoot, happy about a season 3, yay!

tvfreakazoid

[16]Mar 15, 2010
    • level: 8

I'm happy it got renewed for another season. Its seems all the good syfy shows are getting canceled. I guess people don't like a good tv show.

I hope V sticks around for a while to. We're running out of good syfy shows.Cry

sandbur

[17]Mar 16, 2010
    • level: 25

Finally, a SCFi show that gets a chance to unveil its full story. Thanks FOX...now renew Human Target too! Wink

Merlin4421

[18]Mar 17, 2010
    • level: 7

jack756 wrote:
    i do feel the same i mean sci-fi shows dont get enough credit.i like watching syfy b/c it gives me and escape from the real world but companies dont understand how important shows like that are to ppl .they cancell fringe im done with fox they cancel dark angel,now dollhouse,and the next is fringe.if fringe goes im gone b/c they dont have any more sci-fi shows.so i do agree with yall

They better not cancel fringe...I'm still bitter from them cancelling firefly...after all these years.

historylover20

[19]Mar 18, 2010

Merlin4421 wrote:

jack756 wrote:

They better not cancel fringe...I'm still bitter from them cancelling firefly...after all these years.

It's been renewed for season 3.

Kat

motleylil

[20]Mar 20, 2010

historylover20 wrote:

Merlin4421 wrote:

jack756 wrote:

It's been renewed for season 3.

Kat

Yes, but that still leaves the possibility of cancelling it next year. But I have to say, even if it was cancelled this year (which it isn't, I know), this show has had a pretty good run yet, and the season 2 finale sound amazing, so even if next season is the last, I'm happy with things the way they are.