Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Brave New World (1) (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 2, 2012
    • level: 102

Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/4/12 episode "Brave New World (1)" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    Edited on 05/04/2012 7:10pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lion_Turtle

[2]May 3, 2012
    • level: 2

There's heavy speculation that William Bell (and possibly Leonard Nimoy) will be returning to Fringe for the finale and/or season 5. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this anywhere, but I found it interesting that Nimoy starred in a movie called "Brave New World" a few years back. Could be a coincidence, but you never know with Fringe.

Enquier

[3]May 4, 2012
    • level: 9

Guess who I just saw only 24 minutes in!!!!!!

buildam2005

[4]May 4, 2012
    • level: 14

WHAT an episode. When Astrid got shot, I actually SCREAMED at the television. I have no idea what in the world is going on with Olivia, but when she used Peter to give DRJ the smackdown, I laughed SO HARD. And what, exactly killed DRJ? That was a bit confusing. Maybe the idea was that Olivia and Peter were distracted so that Walter would go find Bell without them? But then what was the point of DRJ dying?

And I don't know if anyone saw the previews for next week but holy schmoly it looks incredible.

MicahJacobs

[6]May 4, 2012
    • level: 1
    Ridiculous episode. Astrid oh no... "You brilliant bastard Belly!!". DRJ ... Mad Men came calling ... Nimoy. Unreal. I have no words except next week is going to be AMAZING.

MoRestrepo

[7]May 4, 2012
    • level: 4

I for one am really glad that Fringe kept Nimoy's appearance a close guarded secret. I'm guessing we're gonna have much more of Belly towards the end of the show, I just wonder to what purpose!

CharmedOneP391

[8]May 4, 2012
    • level: 19

LOVED THIS EPISODE!!

Olivia kicking ass with her powers. Astrid kicking ass being awesome. When she got shot, I screamed. But then remembered that she is in Amber in 2036 and that they are going back to that. Maybe they'll dose her with cortexiphan so she'll regenerate?

DRJ waselectrocuted, right? Not sure why he disposed into ashes though. Unless he too spontaneously combusted..I'll be watching again soon.

This episode skipped blew right through for me. Like it was 20 minutes. Loved seeing Rebecca Mader. We've seen Hurley, Desmond and Charlotte from Lost on Fringe...keep the Bad Robot alumni coming!!

It also kinda bugged me that the Team believed Walter's dream about DRJ last week and went along with it, but thought the idea of William Bell being behind all of this too far a stretch..C'Mon team!! It's Walter..when is he ever wrong?

The only thing that would've made this episode a 101% would be I didn't know by the time the opening sequence was over that William Bell would be in the episode...they gave Leonard Nimoy a 'Special Guest Star' credit in the beginning. Same thing happened with Heroes in 'Cold Snap', where they showed Special Guest Star: Noah Gray Cabey so we already knew Micah was Rebel.

CANNOT wait for Part 2. I'm thinking Olivia's powers are going to kill her somehow...but due to the regenerative abilities come back and not remember who she is or something.

What does William Bell do to Olivia? Why has he been activating her? and for how long? for what purpose? Whats the point of the Adam & Eve creatures now? Will Olivia die? Is Astrid alive? If not..how was she in Amber in 2036? Where was the Observer? I missed him.

The Glyph code was POWERS, guys.

Edited on 05/04/2012 8:56pm

MoRestrepo

[9]May 4, 2012
    • level: 4

What was inside the containers? Is by chance Belly collecting species and building his own Noah's arc? I find it weird that he sent DRJ to his death, it seems that DRJ somehow understood why he was the bishop when he was dying... to what purpose?

buildam2005

[10]May 4, 2012
    MoRestrepo wrote:

What was inside the containers? Is by chance Belly collecting species and building his own Noah's arc? I find it weird that he sent DRJ to his death, it seems that DRJ somehow understood why he was the bishop when he was dying... to what purpose?

I thought it was the monsters that were on the barge from several episodes ago. But I have no idea what Bell wants to do with them.

I was freaking out that Olivia is going to get axed in the finale (if you've seen the previews, you might know why), but that wouldn't make much sense--she has to be around long enough to give birth to Henrietta, but perhaps Bell will do something else nasty. Especially if he isn't this Mr. X from the balloon--but of course, this is a different timeline, so how could former timeline Olivia see the man that was going to kill her in this new timeline? But this is old-timeline Olivia in new-timeline, so maybe she just managed to subconsciously know? Oh, this show. You make my brain hurt so good.

MajLorne

[11]May 4, 2012
    • level: 21
    I just have to say how happy I am to see Nimoy back in person. Him as the major villain behind DRJ is a big twist. I can't wait for next week's (thank god) season finale.

As for DRJ disintergrating: I think he was already unstable and when he was electrocuted, perhaps whatever was holding him together gave way and he 'melted'. Peter did mention how Jones looked much better since the last time Peter saw him in the alternate timeline.

violetpretty

[12]May 5, 2012
    • level: 1

Oh my. WHAT AN EPISODE. Consider my mind blown, put back together again, then blown again.

kepa55

[13]May 5, 2012
    • level: 8

Fringegasm. Absolutely amazing, this next week can't go by fast enough.

GabrielaFab

[14]May 5, 2012
    • level: 2

Bell is building a freaking arc!!!!!!

And Jones....i cannot believe he was not the mastermind after 4 seasons. I am glad he is dead though!

buildam2005

[15]May 5, 2012
    GabrielaFab wrote:

Bell is building a freaking arc!!!!!!

And Jones....i cannot believe he was not the mastermind after 4 seasons. I am glad he is dead though!

I wonder if Bell was the master villain in the old timeline? He never came across as such when he did interact with the Fringe team; heck, he sacrificed himself to help them!

And DRJ did try to kill him--or was that all an act and he was really going to the other side at the end of season one to meet up with him? If he was just going to meet up with him, that lie seems rather unnecessary.

This is all very intriguing to me.

Hungry_Homer111

[16]May 5, 2012
    • level: 26

CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    The only thing that would've made this episode a 101% would be I didn't know by the time the opening sequence was over that William Bell would be in the episode...they gave Leonard Nimoy a 'Special Guest Star' credit in the beginning.

Oh, wow. I'm glad I didn't notice that when I was watching it. I did guess that Jones was working for Bell, and obviously we saw him in the amber, but even so, I was so glad to see Leonard Nimoy back again. I was wondering if they would be able to get him back on the show, despite being retired from acting outside of cartoons, or if they'd have to work around it somehow.

This episode was so good. So many great twists in the story. I loved seeing Olivia gaining so much control over her powers at the end. I think that Jones had to be sacrificed because Bell knew how Olivia's powers work, and knew that Peter would have to be in danger in order to get her to have that much control over them. I can't wait to see how she works into Bell's plans, and how those plans play out. It should be a great finale.

MajLorne wrote:
    As for DRJ disintergrating: I think he was already unstable and when he was electrocuted, perhaps whatever was holding him together gave way and he 'melted'. Peter did mention how Jones looked much better since the last time Peter saw him in the alternate timeline.

I didn't think of this while watching the episode, but I think you're right. I forget which episode it was, but I believe that Jones mentioned something to Peter about celular regeneration being a great thing, implying that he went through the process in this timeline, and when he died, that process was reversed.

TylerA46

[17]May 5, 2012
    • level: 11

How stupid, to just go to the enemy and not even call it in or leave a note.

I was hoping Olivia would pulverize Jones Dragonball style, but this will do.

Lccf

[18]May 5, 2012
    • level: 13

Seriously, Jones survived a GUNSHOT, and he disintegrates after a few punches ??? SmileI hope what happened to him will be explained next week, but since he seemed pretty sure Bell had backstabbed him, and Bell was probably the one who did his "molecular reconstruction", maybe he planted some kind of "kill switch" and activated it in this moment ?

Am I the only one supremely annoyed that we found out cortexiphan grants an healing factor ? I mean :

- it doesn't make any sense. If cortexiphan subjects are Wolverines, why does Nick Lane have a scar ? Why did Olivia have to walk with a cane after her car crash at the beginning of season 2 ? Why dildn't Cancer guy (I don't remember his name, the one who died upon arriving Over there ) just heal ? Maybe I'm getting it wrong and cortexiphan only has that effect when very, very hot, but ...

- it sounds like an eleventh-hour explanation to have Olivie "die", as September predicted, and be reborn. If that's the plan, you should have introduced that ability earlier, guys !

( Of course, if cortexiphan saves Astrid's life next week, I'll stop ranting and shut up. Please, please, PLEASE don't kill our beloved Astro ! And if she gets kick-ass superpowers in the process, that's a bonus !!! )

Hungry_Homer111

[19]May 5, 2012
    • level: 26
    Lccf wrote:

Am I the only one supremely annoyed that we found out cortexiphan grants an healing factor ? I mean :

- it doesn't make any sense. If cortexiphan subjects are Wolverines, why does Nick Lane have a scar ? Why did Olivia have to walk with a cane after her car crash at the beginning of season 2 ? Why dildn't Cancer guy (I don't remember his name, the one who died upon arriving Over there ) just heal ? Maybe I'm getting it wrong and cortexiphan only has that effect when very, very hot, but ...

- it sounds like an eleventh-hour explanation to have Olivie "die", as September predicted, and be reborn. If that's the plan, you should have introduced that ability earlier, guys !

( Of course, if cortexiphan saves Astrid's life next week, I'll stop ranting and shut up. Please, please, PLEASE don't kill our beloved Astro ! And if she gets kick-ass superpowers in the process, that's a bonus !!! )

The effects from the Cortexiphan tests vary from person to person, so just because Olivia has it doesn't mean the others will. And it can take a while for the powers to develop, and may require specific circumstances to work. For example, we've never seen Olivia's power to control somebody else's body until this episode, and that was only once Peter's life was in danger. So I wouldn't say this is inconsistent from what we've seen, since the powers themselves can be unpredictable.

ignitionk

[20]May 5, 2012
    • level: 7

what happen to drj was half his face fading due to pre episode when peter closed the portal at him. thats my guess anyways