Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Concentrate and Ask Again (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jan 31, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 2/4/11 episode "Concentrate and Ask Again" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[2]Feb 4, 2011
    • level: 28

I may need to watch it again, because I didn't think it was nearly as good as the last couple have been. Except for the last 10 minutes. It was a shock that Sam Weiss wrote those books.

Kat

Lunatikatt

[3]Feb 4, 2011
    • level: 8
    It was a quite neutral episode i agree Kat but wasnt it quite dense too? with all the mind reading and cortexifam and all the feelings splattered around with coffee and milk

i have to say I KNEW IT! i knew it! mahn!
    i knew OLIVIA would have to do with how Peter will react with the machine... that THEIR LOVE IS important. THE RELATIONSHIP is important!
    she has to change and do something to forgive him and move past the fact that Fauxlivia decieved peter
    she has to!! if she doesnt man i dont want to go there even like no no dont want to think about peter going back to the other side... she could use all she knows to make it all better!! i loved the way they used Nina today too her closeness to Olivia but now she knows its crucial for Olivia to get over it and sieze the moment...? would I be able to? Knowing my man feels deeper for my doplegganger instead of for ME?? my heart aches. Olivia is so mental. So square sometimes. She rocks big time but she needs to know it all... and such... she DID look super hot in the drees... i liked how they mentioned FauxOlivia used dresses sometimes before and all the ohhhhh mahn it just hit me.. she was doubtful about her aim ...but she had PERFECT aim! could this be some of the FauxOlivias dna in her showing up?!?! X__X

I wonder if the mindreaders letter was the truth... i mean.. he couldve written whatever...to provoque her or something... i dont know im stretching it here.

loved Bell's secret room so cool.

fringe rocks. when is the season finale? I dont want it to end yet!

well very sleepy now... bed time hope to dream with peter

DanielRichards0

[4]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 7
    OK, do I really gotta be the one pointing out the biggest easter egg in Fringe ever? And before any of you go "oh that was a real guys book" I know that, but what other purpose would "Dr. Spock's baby and child care" serve being in William Bell's belongings other then being an easter egg for Leonard Nimoy fans.

boneslover4

[5]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 6

First of all I have to agree, I feel like the episode wasn't quite as strong as I would have liked to be. I mean it had a chase scene (go Peter!), and Olivia got to dress up, but it wasn't as good as last week's for example. However, I remember reading somewhere that someone guessed that Sam Weiss wrote the First People books and believe me if I could remember who you were I'd totally give you credit for it!

Now as for the last ten minutes... gaaaaaaah. Totally gave me something MORE to worry about than I have been already, with Peter's lapse in judgment recently, blowing off shapeshifters heads and all. Dammit. Peter choosing between our Olivia and Fauxlivia. It makes sense that Peter still has feelings for Fauxlivia, as they are from the same world. If Walter hadn't interfered, most likely Fauxlivia and Peter would have been together. However, because we're attached to our Olivia and frankly, I just want her to be happy (I mean she hasn't been happy since John Scott, dammit!), I totally want Peter and OUR Olivia to be together, and after all, our Olivia is whom Peter started to fall for.

And now with the addition of the Machine and Peter's connection to it (and whaddaya wanna bet that Nina won't tell anyone at Fringe division what the heck is going on with it) of course we want him to choose our Olivia, we want OUR world to survive. And most likely it will, however I have a feeling that it won't end all neatly with Peter and our Livvy happliy together, after all it WOULD mean the destruction of an entire universe. Including the demise of Fauxlivia. And Peter's baby.

Now with that spoiler floating about out there about Fauxlivia being pregnant. I'm betting that it's absolutely true. Fauxlivia being pregnant with Peter's baby is going to tip the scales in the alternate universe's favour. Why WOULDN'T Peter choose Fauxlivia and a universe which will hold his future child? Why wouldn't he choose creation. I'm also betting that Fauxlivia is pregnant as apart of her orders from the mission. As gross as that would seem, I'm thinking that Walternate told Fauxlivia to get pregnant, however neither one of them realized that Fauxlivia would begin to have feelings for Peter. (Although, Walternate could have just as easily picked out a future daughter-in-law.) After all, Walternate knew about the device from the start, he introduced us to the Machine. He knows how it works. Of course Walternate would do everything in his power to ensure that his universe would survive. That Peter would choose Walternate's universe. Especially if that universe held his biological father, his love of his life, and his baby.Then again the baby might just be a nice surprise; perhaps Walternate was only betting on Peter choosing Fauxlivia.

So far it does not seem good for this universe, or this Olivia. But I am certain that Peter will choose our universe. I just don't see how the show could continue if he chose the other universe. However, Peter could always choose a path which would involve... sacrificing himself (I don't like this option! I want Peter and OUR Olivia together!), or Peter staying on this side, miserable at the loss of the other Olivia, and his baby, Peter could simply distance himself from our Walter and Olivia (perhaps running off to Iraq?).

Sigh, I'm just hoping that when this is all over, Peter and our Olivia are well and happy together. Could we just get a moment of peace, please? Just some breathing room? Ah, but then I suppose it just wouldn't be Fringe.

SO excited for the rest of the season! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!!!

AndrewBarnes2

[6]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 6

IMO this show wasn't particularly great although there were a few moments which brought it back

I still can't believe people didn't realise that Weiss wrote the books early on, it had to be one of the easiest anagrams ever

historylover20

[7]Feb 5, 2011

DanielRichards0 wrote:
    OK, do I really gotta be the one pointing out the biggest easter egg in Fringe ever? And before any of you go "oh that was a real guys book" I know that, but what other purpose would "Dr. Spock's baby and child care" serve being in William Bell's belongings other then being an easter egg for Leonard Nimoy fans.

I noticed, and I laughed, but those are actually books, written by Dr. Benjamin Spock in the 50s about raising children. It would make sense that Bell would have books about children since they were experimenting on children.

I think they chose the books in equal parts of the name and the fact that these books were the most famous child care advise books throughout the 60s and 70s (as I said, written in the 50s). When I was a teenager, I came across one of Mom's books by Dr. Spock, and I'm the same age as Peter (and Josh, for that matter).

Kat

BethHopkins

[8]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 2
    Fringe isn't a "happy ending" kinda show. I doubt seriously Peter and Olivia will ever "be together" now. She is too hurt and even his compliment on how nice she looked in a dress was painful to her. If she changes to be like her counterpart just to make him love her, she will always know in the back of her mind that she is the "substitute" and not the original as far as Peter is concerned. I felt something between her and the mind reader though. They had an almost deep bond because of the ordeal they suffered, and her presence gave him peace and normality. It shows that there is a HUGE wall between Walter's "children" and everyone else. Peter is different, but he can function in either world normally. Olivia is unable to function normally in either world, but her counterpart can. It just isn't looking good for Olivia, and yes that breaks my heart too.
    '
    We know that Peter is destined to die based on the Observer's experiments. Walter is destined to make the choice to let that happen. (Almost biblical reference here to Abraham and Issac.) Balance has to be restored. If Fauxolivia is pregnant, that would most likely restore order in her Universe if Peter dies in Olivia's.

I find it outstanding that the first peoples predict this by creating a machine that will be tuned to the very individual "out of sync" with the worlds. It makes me wonder what the real connect is between the first people and the observers?

Lunatikatt

[9]Feb 5, 2011
    BethHopkins wrote:
    Fringe isn't a "happy ending" kinda show. I doubt seriously Peter and Olivia will ever "be together" now. She is too hurt and even his compliment on how nice she looked in a dress was painful to her. If she changes to be like her counterpart just to make him love her, she will always know in the back of her mind that she is the "substitute" and not the original as far as Peter is concerned. I felt something between her and the mind reader though. They had an almost deep bond because of the ordeal they suffered, and her presence gave him peace and normality. It shows that there is a HUGE wall between Walter's "children" and everyone else. Peter is different, but he can function in either world normally. Olivia is unable to function normally in either world, but her counterpart can. It just isn't looking good for Olivia, and yes that breaks my heart too.

'
    you explained what i wanted to explain with better words. Im so sad our Olivia has to feel so displaced and so unable to show her feelings because of her past They cant let it go cause it was something real and now even when they do care for eachother they know that they might be lying.. like when peter said he thinks about fauxolivia decieving him... olivia felt in the back of her head that he was just telling her what he thought she wanted to hear...

And whats with all the spoilers on Fauxolivia being pregnant!? mahn i hadnt even thought of that! And its SO possible that it will be true... nooooooo (Sob sob)

what if instead of destruction and dying the universes come into being one? as in... olivia merges into one body? nah thats just crazy (or is it)

In the back of my head i have a wish...that peter was thinking of Olivia and not in FauxOlivia but the mindreader mistook her or something... oh no. my heart aches for olivia really really badly but yeah as you said.. "fringe isnt a happy ending kind of show" i hope that ending doesnt come too soon though.

damn

Lunatikatt

[10]Feb 5, 2011
    by the way...
    notice how JJ Abrams has a thing for putting guys in electromagnetic mechanisms? hehehe

Lunatikatt

[11]Feb 5, 2011
    ok sorry but im just not over it haha

dont you think maybe peter "Misses" what fauxolivia represented? a nice cool easy going relationship with olivia? maybe when he said "i thought it was because of me..:" and then the mindreader reads his thoughts maybe he was thinking he missed dancing with olivia or breakfast in bed... but that wouldnt mean he misses fauxolivia but mainly the fact that it was a very fun olivia? and now she is again the closed hardshelled olivia, that thinks its all about fauxolivia so this makes it more difficult on peter cause he would want it to be like it used to be, he would like it to be all about our olivia, AND make her feel like he thought he made her feel...
    (cause we cant deny that even when he was being played he always believed it was HER and for him it was the most important thing that she was being happy and more open and this made him happy too... )

i believe if our Olivia really really thinks peter belongs with her then SHE should do something about it and she should HUG HIM and at least KISS HIM to know what it feels... haha
    im crazy i just cant bear the idea of Fauxolivia winning Peter over

Locutus-of-Borg

[12]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 19

I think Simon is wrong BUT not wrong. I think the "her" is our Olivia. Bear with me here. He is a mind reader BUT everything is a jumble. Its very hard for him to get a cohisive thought from anyone BECAUSE he hears it all at the same time. I dont think that he realizes that there are 2 universes ORthere are 2 Olivias. What he got from Peter was thoughts about bothOlivias at the same time. Not knowing there are 2, he got confused

Edited on 02/05/2011 12:12pm

Prongsters

[13]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 3

Everybody here is talking about Peter and Olivia and relationships and whatever. Am I the only one bothered that the bowling guy knows everything that is going on? And nobody seems to wonder why!

"You didn't tell me that you wrote a book in many languages under a pseudonym about the history of an entire civilization that came before us. Why did you do that and how do you..."

"That's not important. I feel the need to tell you just now that if Peter doesn't love Olivia, this universe will be destroyed by a machine built thousands of years before tuned to the feelings of a man for a woman. Even though I'm spending my time playing bowling, somehow I know what's going on in the world"

"Ok, cool. See you later."

Edited on 02/05/2011 12:23pm

Lunatikatt

[14]Feb 5, 2011
    Prongsters wrote:

Everybody here is talking about Peter and Olivia and relationships and whatever. Am I the only one bothered that the bowling guy knows everything that is going on? And nobody seems to wonder why!

"You didn't tell me that you wrote a book in many languages under a pseudonym about the history of an entire civilization that came before us. Why did you do that and how do you..."

"That's not important. I feel the need to tell you just now that if Peter doesn't love Olivia, this universe will be destroyed by a machine built thousands of years before tuned to the feelings of a man for a woman. Even though I'm spending my time playing bowling, somehow I know what's going on in the world"

"Ok, cool. See you later."

word. you are so right. i know i know im one of the ones focusing on peter+olivia but you are right. whats with this guy? and how come he is there and knows everything and wrote the books and knew about the universes?? and will Nina do something with that information??
    argh! this is killing me!!

Lunatikatt

[15]Feb 5, 2011
    Locutus-of-Borg wrote:

I think Simon is wrong BUT not wrong. I think the "her" is our Olivia. Bear with me here. He is a mind reader BUT everything is a jumble. Its very hard for him to get a cohisive thought from anyone BECAUSE he hears it all at the same time. I dont think that he realizes that there are 2 universes ORthere are 2 Olivias. What he got from Peter was thoughts about bothOlivias at the same time. Not knowing there are 2, he got confused

Exactly my point!

Lunatikatt

[16]Feb 5, 2011
    btw when Walter was looking at the brain scans and said "i think i know how to..." i thought he was going to implant the brain peices of coma-guy in his own haha

Locutus-of-Borg

[17]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 19

Lunatikatt wrote:
    btw when Walter was looking at the brain scans and said "i think i know how to..." i thought he was going to implant the brain peices of coma-guy in his own haha

I thought he was going to use one of the syrums from last week

Edited on 02/05/2011 1:15pm

historylover20

[18]Feb 5, 2011

Sad news, gang.

Fringe fell 16% in ratings from last week. Probably due to Supernatural.

Kat

BarryWeen3

[19]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 14

historylover20 wrote:

Sad news, gang.

Fringe fell 16% in ratings from last week. Probably due to Supernatural.

Kat

I figured as much. Supernatural has a very strong fan base. Plus they revealed who the big bad was for the season.

Edited on 02/06/2011 1:16am

angelust34

[20]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 9
    Peter is the weapon of creation or destruction and love or hate will determine the final fate of our universe, machine is merely a Peters tool, hmm very interesting. Now what I want to know is this-who or "which power" gave the single person (Peter in this case) the power to wield the force of such magnitude-I just can't comprehend the fact that the fate of two universes could be decided by a single person.