Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Enemy of My Enemy (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 1/20/12 episode "Enemy of My Enemy" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[2]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 28

How much does Elizabeth rock?

I gotta be honest--I completely forgot about Nina being the Big Bad. In fact, I forgot about Nina! Too much else going on, I guess.

That episode was awesome! Why don't more people watch this show?

I think the calls for Community also works for Fringe: "Six seasons and a movie!" C'mon, Fox! Even if you have to do more blatant product placement, there really isn't a better show airing now, and it's one of the best sci-fi shows ever!

Kat

buildam2005

[3]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 14

SPOILER ALERT! (Not sure I need that, but just to be safe.)

Really great stuff this week. I am constantly in awe of John Noble. About halfway through Walter's conversation with Elizabeth, it dawned on me that it was the same actors having a conversation that was vastly different than when Walternate and Elizabeth were at dinner--as in, I really forgot that it's the same dude playing both characters. THAT is called some serious jumbo dog acting right there.

In other news: I think the way they've set up the two universes to weave in and out of one another has been particularly successful this season--nice, deft writing with Jones going from one universe to the other.

About 2/3 of the way through I remembered Nina's naughty gassing of Olivia, so I wasn't too shocked when she was the one typing to Jones. But WTF is going on? Gah, so good. So, so good.

Hungry_Homer111

[4]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 26

Yet another great episode. I love what they've done with the mythology in these past 2 episodes. This episode did a great job of showing how great David Robert Jones can be as a main villain. His manipulations (including the hospital situation, him escaping the tracker, etc.), and him escaping to the main universe was great. I'm also liking the whole conspiracy that's shaping up between him, alternate Broyles, and Nina. So far I'd say that this is the most interesting use of the shapeshifters so far.

Also, it's been brought up already, but I should mention just how great I thought Elizabeth's character was in this episode. I loved her scene with Walternate, which did a great job emphasizing the differences between this Walternate and the one in the other timeline. But as much as I loved that scene, the scene between her and Walter had to be the highlight of the episode for me. I loved that she could look at this man, who kidnapped his son, which resulted in her son's death, and actually forgive, and understand him. Walter never recieved his "sign from God," because things played out differently and he never recieved the white tulip, and was never able to forgive himself for what he did, so it was great to finally see him get some relief, and realize that there is hope for him. If she of all people can forgive him, then why can't he forgive himself? It's so great that, in an episode so full of advancements to the mythology, that they can make time to have such great character moments as these.

TylerA46

[5]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 11

So are they trying to turn
    ***SPOILER***

BTW, why is Olivia so secretive about the Observer. Peter debriefed them about Observers.

Edited on 01/21/2012 2:56am

kepa55

[6]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 8

buildam2005 wrote:
    I am constantly in awe of John Noble. About halfway through Walter's conversation with Elizabeth, it dawned on me that it was the same actors having a conversation that was vastly different than when Walternate and Elizabeth were at dinner--as in, I really forgot that it's the same dude playing both characters. THAT is called some serious jumbo dog acting right there.

Ditto, but I'd extend this to almost all of the main cast. It really feels like all of them are different characters, not just the same actor/actress playing the same role slightly differently.

Otherwise it was fantastic as usual. The ending was nice, instead of communicating with a typewriter the bad guys used a computer. And hopefully we'll - finally - get some more Nina.

MontseBagaria

[7]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 4

This was a great episode... Better than the last one...

The escene with Elisabeth and Walter was amazing... "I forgave you a long time ago. And if I can, God can..." That was gorgeus!!! But I think that if I was Elisabeth, I couldn't forgive Walter ever in my life (Come on... It was an accident and it was for his own good, but He killed your son!!). Anyway, in the episode was a good way to change Walter's mind and convince him to help Peter.

And of course, we have Nina!!! OMG that was the best part... We all new that she was not a "good guy", but I'm getting really impatiente to now what she's doing to Olivia...!!! What's her plan?? What does she want?? I want more Nina in the show!!!!

Do you think that Olivia (I mean... "this" Olivia) is going to die...???

JaiCSC

[8]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 17

Excellent episode. Really Really Excellent.

Ending... a little predictable yes. I saw that coming a mile off. BUT this is a case where predictable isn't bad. It loosely answers a question that was raised in an earlier episode. It closes off one chapter and enters another where might know what happen and what it's about but still sketchy enough to add mystery. It was done in a way that makes sense. It seems odd that one guy is able to have done this off the radar but now we know he's had help.

This episode is why I LOVE Fringe, I've liked this new timeline it's been interesting but I want the old back. I've attachment to Red/Blue and I can't wait to get back to them. But over nine episodes I've warmed up to a whole set of characters and in the space of one (this one) formed a new attachment to it and eagerly want to see it saved.

Elizabeth stole the show. Wonderful scenes with John Noble through out. Loved the conversation with Peter and Walter. And I liked that Peter said Walter was exactly like he knew. I absolutely cracked up when KickAstrid asked about Peter. Bit annoyed at Peter though. There was a moment between him and Olivia. NO, go back to your own Olivia let this one be happy with Clark Kent Lincoln.

This was just good all the way through. Loved it.

ksemmo

[9]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 1

My favourite Season 4 episode so far...

I really enjoyed the ties to earlier episodes, bringing back the character of David Robert Jones from Season 1 (ep. 7 In which we meet Mr. Jones), linking the seasons together, but still keeping us wondering, by dangling another plot twisting carrot before the true fans of this great series.

It was good to see both Universes starting to work together, with several Fringe Division characters and their 'alternates' sitting and collaborating at one table.

I was glad to see shades of the old Walter Bishop reappear at the end of this episode, because the Walter in this season's current timeline is really messed up!

buildam2005

[10]Jan 21, 2012
    kepa55 wrote:

buildam2005 wrote:
    I am constantly in awe of John Noble. About halfway through Walter's conversation with Elizabeth, it dawned on me that it was the same actors having a conversation that was vastly different than when Walternate and Elizabeth were at dinner--as in, I really forgot that it's the same dude playing both characters. THAT is called some serious jumbo dog acting right there.

Ditto, but I'd extend this to almost all of the main cast. It really feels like all of them are different characters, not just the same actor/actress playing the same role slightly differently.

Otherwise it was fantastic as usual. The ending was nice, instead of communicating with a typewriter the bad guys used a computer. And hopefully we'll - finally - get some more Nina.

Oh, well, yes of course I agree that they've all done a very nice job exposing the subtle differences between these three (wait, four? four.) versions of very similar characters, but John Noble stood out to me because I actually forgot that it was the same guy. I didn't forget for very long, but I really had a moment, as he was standing next to the cow, where I thought, "Holy crap, that's the same guy who plays Walternate! How's he doing this?!" That has never happened before, and it just highlights how rocking awesome John Noble is. Emmy people, are you watching this? Of course you're not.

CharmedOneP391

[11]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 19

TylerA46 wrote:

So are they trying to turn
    ***SPOILER***

BTW, why is Olivia so secretive about the Observer. Peter debriefed them about Observers.

Im so glad you brought that up. I was thinking the same thing...except add the cortexiphan in the mix. Shapeshifter with powers

Lccf

[12]Jan 22, 2012
    • level: 13

I still maintain my early theory about the new 'shifters : I think Jones and Nina are working with/for Moreau and the End-of-Dayers. I think the "hole" Jones is trying to punch into the universe is the kind of time-wormhole we've seen in The Day we died", that would allow the End-of-Dayers to time travel to 2012 and do their nasty business here, hence accelerating the end of the world even further. Anyone with me here ?

As for how Olivia factors into that ... I can't see it, but I'd say a cortexiphan-powered shapeshifter, as someone pointed out, would be quite an asset for Jones' gang.

ALSCC

[13]Jan 22, 2012
    • level: 5

that was incredible! we finally got two great (back to back) mythology episodes that have given some shape to this season.

the actors seamlessly switching back and forth was masterful. the way the writers carry on after this episode is crucial, they cant go back to another irrelevant slow-paced monster of the week episode. this week we were finally treated to some action, i cant remember the last time there was a good gunfight in fringe!!

on the subject of nina and DRJ planning to make olivia the next fringe agent to be replaced, a cortexiphan powered shapeshifter would be really great for the story! i hope if this is what the writers are planning, then they include all of the cortexiphan kids we've seen previously.

FCBarca

[14]Jan 23, 2012
    • level: 15

Similar to Lost, this series has long lost it's way...and aimlessly wanders in one absurd direction after another

Kids, this is what happens when you only have a good idea for a concept in a series rather than having written or envisioned a complete story...This is Hollywood greed at work

buildam2005

[15]Jan 23, 2012
    FCBarca wrote:

Similar to Lost, this series has long lost it's way...and aimlessly wanders in one absurd direction after another

Kids, this is what happens when you only have a good idea for a concept in a series rather than having written or envisioned a complete story...This is Hollywood greed at work

I'm sorry, but what? Have you BEEN watching this season? There have NOT been empty, dangled plot problems and characters doing things just for the sake of doing something. If you really feel this way, please explain with concrete examples and reasons rather than just sounding like a troll. This season's plot has been tightly controlled and specifically directed to get us to where we are currently, and the character work has been quite well-done and continued to help push and mold the story. I just can't see where this judgment comes from.

historylover20

[16]Jan 24, 2012
    • level: 28

Also, the condescending "Kids" is really irritating me.

Kat

CharmedOneP391

[17]Jan 24, 2012

FCBarca wrote:

Hollywood greed? If you haven't noticed, Fringe is doing pretty bad in the ratings department. A 1.1 in adults 18-49 for the past 3 episodes. That's not good. I don't see how you connect the story lines that you apparently don't like with the producers/FOX execs being greedy. This isn't Lost, or American Idol. There's no room for a show on Friday Night with less than 4 million average viewers to have "hollywood Greed". The writers are definitely writing the story they want to tell..which is probably why it's at the viewership its at. They aren't trying to please the masses..they're telling their own story. Which only gets better each season..thats not something you find in a show..especially a serialized sci-fi show.

LovelyFace12

[18]Jan 25, 2012

I am hoping they don't make Olivia a shapeshifter, it's just another annoying version of Olivia being replaced by Fauxlivia. Not to mention, Olivia will give Peter the same lame speech she gave him in Marionette if she does find out she is a shapeshifter.

"Peter, how can you not look into my eyes and know i am a shapeshifter!"

No thanks.

CharmedOneP391

[19]Jan 26, 2012

LovelyFace12 wrote:

I am hoping they don't make Olivia a shapeshifter, it's just another annoying version of Olivia being replaced by Fauxlivia. Not to mention, Olivia will give Peter the same lame speech she gave him in Marionette if she does find out she is a shapeshifter.

"Peter, how can you not look into my eyes and know i am a shapeshifter!"

No thanks.

I would love to see ashape-shifting, cortexiphan-induced Olivia walking around the Amber-verse, though. If it was still Olivia...just powered up...but for what?

LovelyFace12

[20]Jan 26, 2012

Oh yeah, let's make Olivia even more superior