Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Letters of Transit (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 19, 2012
    • level: 103
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/20/12 episode "Letters of Transit" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CBrooke92

[3]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 3

I'll I got to say is WTF........
    1) Observers are bad
    2) Olivia and Peter's daughter rescuing Peter, Walter, and Astrid
    3) Where is Olivia??? Is she dead???

historylover20

[4]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 28

So, that happened...

I don't know what I think about this episode. I called that Etta was Peter and Olivia's daughter from the moment I saw her. The actress looks like Anna Torv. And then the anvils started falling, namely that Walter was her grandfather. I said out loud "Well, duh!"

I liked Simon. I think I like Etta. But the problem is that I didn't know them. I missed our team. The episode should have been two hours long. Although I'm pretty sure we'll be going back to 2036 soon.

And, it's official: Nina Sharp is immortal. Walter's excuse is that he spent the last 20 years in amber. But, Nina has to be close to 90 here. So, yeah, immortal.

And I badly, badly want to know why William Bell was with the team in amber. My jaw hit the ground.

But, I think not having the team (other than Walter) made me kind of indifferent. There were too many things that I kept wondering how this happened.

However, the opening titles were epic! They were awesome!

All in all, it was cool, but a little cold. Just when I really invested in what was going on, it was over. However, to be fair, I think I badly wanted more background than that title card. How did Bell get trapped in the amber with the team? How was he even alive twenty years before? What did Bell do to Olivia (is it something other than the soul jar thing?) Was Olivia shot and killed? Etta's pendant was a bullet. How did the Observers take over? I wanted to know more!

Kat

Edited on 04/20/2012 7:26pm

blackmage8472

[5]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 15

In 2 words: "Loved it!" Two more words "Freaking awesome!"

historylover20 wrote:

I don't know what I think about this episode. I called that Etta was Peter and Olivia's daughter from the moment I saw her. The actress looks like Anna Torv. And then the anvils started falling, namely that Walter was her grandfather. I said out loud "Well, duh!"

And, it's official: Nina Sharp is immortal. Walter's excuse is that he spent the last 20 years in amber. But, Nina has to be close to 90 here. So, yeah, immortal.

And I badly, badly want to know why William Bell was with the team in amber. My jaw hit the ground.

I think we all called Etta as being Peter and Olivia's daughter, the fact that she looked like a slightly younger Anna Torv was the key.

What do you mean about Nina being immortal? She's at the most the same age as Walter anpossiblya little younger since in earlier seasons it was implied that she was an underling of Walter and Bell. So 20 years later she's somewhere between 70 and 80 and she certainly looked around that age.

I loved the episode as a whole but it was easily theappearanceof Bell that surprised me the most. I thought Nimoy had officially retired from acting? I know what we saw was mostlikelystock footage and wouldn't have required Nimoy's actualpresencebut if they're going to continue this "fight the future" story line at some point (They better!) then one would assume they'd need an actually scene with Walter, Olivia, and Bell and not just a description.

BobSh56

[6]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 1

I'm not sure what to think, I liked the episode but why aren't they continuing it next week???

blackmage8472

[7]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 15

BobSh56 wrote:

I'm not sure what to think, I liked the episode but why aren't they continuing it next week???

My guess is its part of the series finale. Which actually brings me to a possible theory: Is it possible that Jones is trying to create a future to fight the Observers? The ZFT in season 1 talked about fighting soldiers from another universe... do we know if they were actually talking about the alternate universe or could they have been refering to the Observers?

MoRestrepo

[8]Apr 20, 2012
    • level: 4

How could I describe this episode without even finishing digesting that humans from 2609 are so evil that they would dare to travel back in time to 2015 just to survive after rendering the planet useless in their timeline? We know now that the observers are so bad, I think now their baldness was inherited from Dr Evil.

I guess good old Walter is gone after he got his removed brain cells back in his head, turning him into a grumpy man not much different from Walternate, showing no emotion at all when he concluded that the girl that took him out of the amber is most probably his granddaughter (he had no time, though, they had to escape Massive Dynamics building ASAP).

William Bell was also alive and well preserved in amber (until Walter cut off his hand, that is) and I wonder how's that he came to be alongside Walter, Peter and Astrid. How he got to be there and how he defined Olivia's fate is also unknown.

What a hell ride of an episode. The pace was so fast, but at the same time so coherent we were left with the answer to best enigma of Fringe, the Observers, but getting the answer raised at the same time lots of questions, some of them that are likely to be answered in the next episode, hopefully with a clue regarding the alter-universe, which must exist since there are amber quarantined areas in 2036. What connects the amber in our timeline to what's happening in 2036 is still unexplained, because we heard nothing about an alternate universe

I wish we could have had a feature lenght episode. Now I wonder how long we'll have to wait until we get back to 2036 (and to see what exactly happened in 2015 that defined Olivia's fate).

TylerA46

[9]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 11

Bell pushed somebody out of the amber (maybe Olivia), like the future agent. They were in the same position.

Shame so little happened in this episode, Walter having a damaged brain and using 15 minutes of the episode on curing it was pointless.

redgirl19

[10]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 3

Ok, so I called her being there daughter as soon as she hit the screen! Is anyone thinking about September, when he told Peter he had the baby with the wrong Olivia. To save the human race from the observers she needed those powers to block what they were hearing. Henry would't be able to do that since Fauxlivia wasn't dosed with crotexiphan. Its all starting to come together. Also if we get a season 5 I think the Finale would be that Liv is pregnant since Etta was 4 when she last saw her parents and the siege or what ever the hell they called it happened in 2015! Somebody said something about Liv getting pushed outta the amber hopefully if that happened she still found away to amber her self or God forbid she died cause I think she woulda found away to be with her daughter pass the age of 4. I'm pretty sure more truths will come to light later. Also maybe the worlds merged cause the weren't reall concerned about the other side or they found away to heal and sealed off the other side, Also maybe Liv hid on the other side. Does anybody else find it strange that the observers mostly deal with the blue universe, the only time there mentioned on the other side was when September interupted Walternate finding the cure. That'ss all I have for now.

JaiCSC

[11]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 17

Kinda mixed on this like everyone else seems to be.

I hate to be the most negative one here so far but the episode 19 always seem to fall short for me. I like them don't get me wrong and I liked this episode. But looking at Brown Betty, LSD and now Letters of Transit. I'm baffled as to why they just fall short. We know the Fringe writers are talented. They prove it week in week out and these episodes could really reach new heights and yet somehow they don't. I wonder if it's the hype they keepgivingthe episode.

Anyway Etta. In the first second she showed up I mistook her for Olivia at a distance. And then a moment later my brain kicked in and made the connections. As much as I LOVE stuff like this, parents meeting/reuniting with their children across time, and I really mean that, I get excited when this storyline is done. That said, why blow your reveal by abandoning all subtlety.

I mean they had subtle hints to her identity in there, things that kicked in at the end such as being unable to be read by The Observers (her mum's psychic cortexiphan abilities), Etta never occured to me that Etta was a nickname for Henrietta. But the other stuff like, the way she spoke, her conversation with Simon, how she played with her pendant and when she did that you assumed locket with Olivia and Peter's picture in it. Saying Walter was her grandfather and oh yeah the fact that she was so easily mistaken for Olivia when she showed up, it got in the way.

I still love Olivia and Peter got to a point where they could start a family, especially after it looked as though it wouldn't happen in The Day We Died, and even though Fringe's fate is still up in the air I really REALLY want to see this play out both in the present and future. And I really want to know if somehow Olivia and adult Etta meet, the only thing this plot thread is missing for me right now.

Walter. I think I've said this 1000 times already but 1001 won't hurt. Give the man his Emmy. Admittedly I do think Peter Dinklage was the only thing worth watching in Game of Thrones (yeah I said it) but John Noble is acting circles around him. He's acting circles around most dramatic leads. In the space of a few minutes he went fromseverelydamaged Walter to the colder and more frightening version of himself. And this wasn't Walter to Walternate. This was Future Walter to Past Walter (with the memories and experiences of Future Walter).

Despite falling short of expectations there was stuff to like. Great to see Henry Ian Cusick. Would be nice to see him return if we ever return to this future.The Observers' future is kinda cool and feels more depressing than the other one, I suppose there they were doomed but here if feels as though humanity is being stripped. Plus thinking of Humans as animals was a nice touch.William Bell was easily the biggest WTF my mind is blown moment. We all knew that William Bell's role wasn't finished but showing up here was unexpected.

Overall it was an OK episode. Didn't tap into all it's potential, many unanswered questions and a few missteps BUT great set up for what maybe in-store for the audience and including a story element that I'm a complete sucker for.

GabrielaFab

[12]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 2

Loved it, Loved it , Looooooved it!!!!!!

Dont worry about the questions people, Fringe always explains at some point, its the only show that never failed me

historylover20

[13]Apr 21, 2012

JaiCSC wrote:

Kinda mixed on this like everyone else seems to be.

I hate to be the most negative one here so far but the episode 19 always seem to fall short for me. I like them don't get me wrong and I liked this episode. But looking at Brown Betty, LSD and now Letters of Transit. I'm baffled as to why they just fall short. We know the Fringe writers are talented. They prove it week in week out and these episodes could really reach new heights and yet somehow they don't. I wonder if it's the hype they keepgivingthe episode.

I liked Brown Betty, didn't like LSD, and this one kind of falls in the middle.

I think it's because they go balls to the wall with the 19th episode, and it ends up not living up to the hype (like you said). These episode are so different that they're hard to fit into the continuity of the story. For this one, you're following two people you've never seen before. What a coincidence that one happens to be Peter and Olivia's daughter. But, there is no lead up to what's going on.

It kind of reminded me of the missing episode of season one's "Dollhouse." And then the series finale of "Dollhouse." And I didn't like those episodes either.

These episodes are very symbolic. And I think I'd rather have an episode leading up to the season finale (sort of what episode 20 looks like) than these kind of episodes. Since we're worried about Fringe being renewed for a shortened season 5, I don't know if this side trip was worth it. I'd rather them wrap up the actual story line that's going on in present day than to do a one-shot (for now) episode with several other plotlines.

And what I meant by Nina being immortal (it was actually a joke, but since I've been called out on it) :

We can safely assume that Walter and Nina are the same age. Or roughly the same age. (Blair Brown was born in 1946, John Noble was born in 1948.) So, say they're the same age (and I think it has been established that Walter is John Noble's age.)

Nina is 90 in 2036. She didn't look like it. Although it's possible (Betty White is 90 and doesn't look like it), it's a little improbable that she'd still be looking 20 years younger and working (albeit in a floating wheelchair thing.) Broyles looked older than Nina did.

For all intents and purposes, Walter is still 70, when he was ambered. He lost 20 years. Had he not have been ambered, he's be approaching 90 as well.

Granted, maybe the medication is better (doubtful, considering that the Observers are sort of like Nazis, and the credits implied concentration camps), but Walter did have to repair Nina's arm. I don't think she'd be living and working at 90 years old. But, maybe that's just me.

Kat

deathly_hollows

[14]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 12

FRINGE is not about the stories, storylines and timelines. It doesn't matter if we've seen a departure in the DRJ storyline, or that we witnessed a completely new story for just one episode (if the show gets renewed, this episode's theme will also be the fifth season's theme) - FRINGE is about the characters finding themselves in many different stories, and being able to steal our attention, sympathy and understanding.

Brilliant episode, brilliant.

Edited on 04/21/2012 8:36am

historylover20

[15]Apr 21, 2012

Double post, but I got some food for thought for you.

This episode took place in 2036.

Henrietta said the last time she saw her parents was when she was 4 years old.

The team have been ambered for the last 20 years.

So, they were ambered in 2016, which was the last time Etta saw her parents.

She was born in 2012.

Kat

Edited on 04/21/2012 8:31pm

Don_Moltisanti

[16]Apr 21, 2012
    It was good but is this filler episode or will it come into it again. If the series ends in this season it might not show the future again. It may just be incase there is a fifth season.
    Why show William Bell like that and then have no interaction with him. Was it ever confirmed what happened to Bell in this timeline? What was the point in showing him unless he has a part in the next few episodes. Where was Olivia> i take it she was dead, that sucks. Remember the conversation between Peter and Bolivia, the greatest love stories are tragedy, so she has to always die.

So was this what the war was really about? everyone always assumed the war was between denizens of another universe "whos timeline is a little more advanced than our own" we always thought that meant the other side but maybe it always meant this, the observers maybe that is what they were looking for, the best place to take over the timeline. I think maybe September told Walter this along time ago but he forgot about it.

historylover20

[17]Apr 21, 2012

First episode of this season, Walter says that Bell was dead. Apparently Walter was mistaken.

The more I think about this episode, the more I like it, if we can explore it some more (again, I really wish it was a 2-parter! Hopefully, we'll get a season 5 for it!) But I'm also thinking that the two universes (Red and Blue/Amber) have combined.

One of the reasons I think this is the lack of coffee. Simon remembers drinking it, and Etta thinks he's old for remembering that.

There are also two distinct terms for the team in the opening scroll. The original Fringe team was defeated and disappeared. That's the Blue team. The Fringe division (Red) works at a reduced capacity, monitoring Native crimes.

I'm not sure how it all ties together, but I think it's obvious that DRJ succeeded in collapsing the universes. In the chaos that followed, the Observers made their presences known. At first, it was the science team, the Observers we know, promising to make life better. But that left the world ripe for the Purge in 2016.

So, the more I think about it, the more this episode fits with what has been established.

Kat

shaw0077

[18]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 1
    Like the openning bit, just like Blade Runner. The background music are similiar too. I think Bell pushed Nina out of the amber, and she was holding little Etta.

Lets hope the show will get renew.

Hungry_Homer111

[19]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 26

After the episode ended, I was extremely disappointed. I was hoping they would have developed the future more, but it felt like the preview pretty much showed everything there was to see in the future, and the onlymajor development was when the characters were talking about how the invasion started. I thought the story moved way too slowly, to the point where I did think it would be a two part episode continued in the next episode, and it would have been better if that was the case. Either that, or have the events from this episode condensed intothe first half hour (and I feel that it wouldn't really have lost much if they did this). Also, I wish the main characters had played a bigger role in the episode, instead of Walter being in half the episode, and Peter and Astrid being brought in towards the end. In fact, after watching this episode,I felt like this was the worst episode of the series.

That being said, after reading some posts about this episode, and thinking about what it could mean, I did start to appreciate it more. The episode was still slower than I would have liked, but if they do end up continuing this story later on, the time spent developing the new characters will have been worth it. I'd like to see more of Olivia and Peter's daughter if that happens, and even though he's in Amber, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Henry Ian Cusick if they could realistically get him out of there.

There was also a lot of elements that the writers could work with in the next few episodes. Like how William Bell gets involved with everything, what happened to Olivia (did she die like September told her she would?), how David Robert Jones' plans may contribute to what we saw (I do agree with the theory that this was a universe that combined the blue and red universes into one), and just seeing how the Observers' actions changed from simply observing to taking over. While I still think that this episode could have been handled better, a big part of my disappointment stemmed from my expectations being very different from what the writers were going for (I expected this to be a single story of a future that would never be seen again, so it would be more fully developed in this episode), and I do appreciate the intent to set up ideas for season 5. Now let's hope that Fox actually allows these ideas to be expanded on, instead of cancelling the show after season 4.

Canada_Michael

[20]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 10

So if the Observers are a future us then what this episode is saying is we're doomed. If that's the case why didn't the Observers just go back in time & stop the things that led to Earth'sdestruction. Taking over &enslaving people in the past doesn't make sense to me, unless the Observers Earth wasn't completelydestroyed & these are just rouge Observers.

In any case this episode doesn't mean much, since we know the timeline can change.

Don_Moltisanti

[21]Apr 21, 2012
    I really hope there is a 5th season. Fringe is a show that could realistically go on for a good few seasons without running out of story ideas. They have the whole DRJ this season next season could easily be about the observers taking over after that happens. How have the cortexiphan children not been rounded up in this universe, they know that DRJ is going to use them so why not find them before he does which they obviously dont.