Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Nothing As It Seems (possible spoilers)

  • Avatar of Gislef

    Gislef

    [1]Mar 27, 2012
    • member since: 04/22/05
    • level: 102
    • rank: "Hey, hey, hey!"
    • posts: 23,887
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 3/30/12 episode "Nothing As It Seems" to this thread.

    Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of renaldsRAP

    renaldsRAP

    [2]Mar 29, 2012
    • member since: 11/25/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 79
    Soooooo STOKED for this episode! I really get the feeling this will be the one that makes all the season 4 nay-sayers realize how genius the plot of this season is gonna be! To everyone complaining that the new timeline negates all that happened in the first 3 seasons - go to youtube and watch the promo for this episode: It's a continuation of the season one episode "The Transformation"!

    Without even having seen the episode yet, I know it will be a fantastic installment that's gonna be chock full of revelations and twists that will have me cleaning my own brain off the walls after it has exploded. "The Transformation" was an episode that always bugged the hell out of me. It was good and had plenty of science and action - but the resolution to it just didnt seem right. A random group of bio-terrorists that had little or nothing to do with the plot of the series (I think so anyway but I could be wrong since I havent watched season 1 in over a year) and yet the people being turnd into beasts had those little discs that looked like clear watch batteries embedded in them. I do remember them giving us a not very satisfying answer to said discs as well - they're data storage units connected to DNA. A cool concept, but it never got very far from there. Now with the reveal that DRJ was behind "The Transformation" in the first place, Im betting we learn more about those little discs than we knew before and start to see the bigger picture come together of what Jones' next move was after dispatching William Bell (which Im guessing he actually got to do since Peter wasnt around to cut him in half this time). Things are about to get very dark and loaded to the gills with conspiracies and double-crosses (a la season one) and who knows what else in the the FRINGE universe in the next seven weeks (and hopefully beyond - fingers crossed on season 5!) which means a very bright outlook for us FRINGE fanatics

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CharmedOneP391

    CharmedOneP391

    [3]Mar 29, 2012
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 1,108

    [DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU WANT TO STAY SPOIL-FREE UNTIL TOMORROW NIGHT]


    Sneak Peek Number One



    Sneak Peek Number Two



    Have Fun guys! I really want to ask this now..so from that second Sneak Peek...anyone notice it's a mirror scene from 3x01 'Olivia'? I love this show.

    Edited on 03/29/2012 1:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [4]Mar 30, 2012
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794

    Great episode.


    So, that opening scene--did they edit in the opening scene from "Transformation" or did they recreate it? I'm betting it's the former--they edited it in, up to the part where Bowman opens the door of the bathroom to the air marshall. Then, they edited in the transformation scene later. But, if they recreated it, awesome job!


    That poor second child of Rachel's. Overlooked and underappreciated. I didn't even catch his name (thanks to the sound on my TV not all that good.)


    Walter's presents... that was just such an "awwwww" moment. I swear, I teared up! I still think the Bishops' love story is the best of all the loves on this show.


    And, moment of truth: I jumped when that Hicks creature attacked Lincoln. They did an excellent job with that scene, building the suspense. There was a flash of porcupine quills that made you think something was going to happen. Yet, when it did, it was a well-done jump scare.


    And I liked seeing the boys working together. I felt sorry for Lincoln, though. He was definitely the butt monkey in this episode.


    And that ending scene was a flashback to a lot of things in seasons one and two. That huge hookworm from "Snakehead;" the creature from "Unleashed." Interesting...


    Kat

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of aldaros23

    aldaros23

    [5]Mar 30, 2012
    • member since: 02/15/07
    • level: 53
    • rank: Commander in Chief
    • posts: 580
    I thought it was great too - very much like the old team again, but poor Lincoln is the odd one out. They need to hook him up with Astrid or a new lady friend. When the episode first started, I thought, what the heck is going on, because the episode started out with a "previously" and then it showed almost the same thing after it started... then I understood. I remembered this incident from long ago.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [6]Mar 30, 2012
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,515
    Fantastic episode, plenty of great stuff. My favorite moment was Peter hugging Walter, total 'awww' moment. And what an ending. all those creatures. I totally can't wait to see what happens with them. I wonder if they are going to bring the 'X-men' [cortexiphan powered people] to fight those creatures? There's no way Olivia and an army can take on those creatures on their own.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TylerA46

    TylerA46

    [7]Mar 31, 2012
    • member since: 01/26/07
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 391

    So Jones' big idea is to have a zoo of ugly mutants replace humanity?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BarryWeen3

    BarryWeen3

    [8]Mar 31, 2012
    • member since: 09/28/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,145

    TylerA46 wrote:


    So Jones' big idea is to have a zoo of ugly mutants replace humanity?



    Looks like it, RDJ is like a bizarro version of Professor X...although since he's the bad guy, it'd probably be more appropriate to call him a bizarro version of Magneto...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fladimir7

    fladimir7

    [9]Mar 31, 2012
    • member since: 11/07/09
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 205
    Oh i loved it and I couldn't agree more with Walter: everything was indeed perfect, it's as if we were back to the other timeline with everyone acting as they're used to and a fringe case filled with questions, uncertainties, and mysteries. With welcome to Westfield and this one, i think they're the best of this season so far. And i much like a Lincoln and peter duo than when Lincoln is with Olivia. It's less boring and it appears greatly so whenever they're together.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JaiCSC

    JaiCSC

    [10]Mar 31, 2012
    • member since: 12/01/04
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,165

    OooooooooooooooooooK.


    First of all. Goody the creature from Snakehead. You know the revelation of the the fat intake already had me gagging a little but then they remind me of that thing from Snakehead which is the single most revolting thing Fringe has everconcocted.


    The last scene with Broyles. We know Olivia is awesome, but for everything she's done in this episode surely she's subject to some disciplinary action? I dunno why but even though this episode really played up the silly that was the thing that really bugged me.


    The ending I'll admit I'm curious to see where this is heading and how it fits overall but at the same time I'm thinking "All Star Fringe monsters"? This will either be really really good or really really bad, this won't fall into any middle ground. They are introducing a lot and reintroducing a lot, they're juggling a lot here and if anything goes wrong the rest might foll


    Overall I did like this one. Not brilliant but a step up from last weeks which felt a little empty at the wrong times. The case of the week kept me a little interested with it's spin but we did get an episode much more about the people and I love the character moments. I loved seeing Walter and Peter connect a little more, it even had a Hug from Peter, can't remember the last time I saw that Day we Died, Grey Matters? There may be some hope that the full Walter and Peter relationship can be restored just like it was before. If that returns to it's former glory I will be content about the erased history so to speak.


    Again another great way to build up the menace of Jones when he's not here. The old team dynamic seemed to shine through between the main four and they were smart to try and show the detachment others are feeling like Nina, Broyles and Lincoln.


    I wanna give Clark Kent Lincoln a hug. The guy can't catch a break and he's just a nice guy. I hate seeing the nice guy get shoved aside. And he plays chess and despite being utterly devastated he's still taking this all with some dignity. He's awesome and things just continue to suck for him, give this guy something good. And don't have him connect with Fauxlivia, he deserves better... wow that really sounds like I've got a man crush on Clark Kent Lincoln doesn't it? Um...I'm gonna go do manly things now.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of renaldsRAP

    renaldsRAP

    [11]Apr 1, 2012
    • member since: 11/25/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 79

    Huh. Wasn't as mind-blowing as I had originally hoped. Altho it was still a fantastic episode of a show that's been on the upswing since "Welcome To Westfield" and was packed full of some of the best character driven moments of the entire season. Also if you look at the hints and clues over the course of the season, you kinda get a vague idea of Jones' endgame. The "God-complex" line followed by the reveal of "Noah's Ark of Past Fringe Events" was the piece of the puzzle needed to see the broad strokes of his plan: Use Amphilicite to merge the universes together and rule them as a God - creating his own rules and trying to perfect whole new species. The finer details of his plan elude me at this point in time - which is probably why this episode didn't floor me like I thought it would - but I'm sure they'll be even more terrifying than what I can conceive. It looks like Fringe's "Endgame" is gonna be as great as the showrunners have promised it will be.



    Oh, and someone please give John Noble an emmy. He absolutely KILLED IT in this epsiode!



    Now if you'll excuse me I need to go make some peanut butter and bacon sandwiches

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of renaldsRAP

    renaldsRAP

    [13]Apr 1, 2012
    • member since: 11/25/09
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 79
    couldn't agree with you more! And I would also like to see some sort of fallout be shown with the universes or the characters or both that Walter, Peter and Olivia don't even realize to tantalize us until the potential season 5 or maybe a movie if season 4 ends up being the last. Then even if the show doesn't continue or they never make a movie we can always imagine what could've happened. Isn't that what makes Fringe's mythology so special in the first place? I think so and I hope everyone else does too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LovelyFace12

    LovelyFace12

    [14]Apr 1, 2012
    • member since: 07/27/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 11

    JaiCSC wrote:


    OooooooooooooooooooK.



    I wanna give Clark Kent Lincoln a hug. The guy can't catch a break and he's just a nice guy. I hate seeing the nice guy get shoved aside. And he plays chess and despite being utterly devastated he's still taking this all with some dignity. He's awesome and things just continue to suck for him, give this guy something good. And don't have him connect with Fauxlivia, he deserves better... wow that really sounds like I've got a man crush on Clark Kent Lincoln doesn't it? Um...I'm gonna go do manly things now.



    Well, LINCOLN is to blame for not getting Olivia. he had PLENTY of time to tell Olivia how he felt about her but did he do that, NO he did not. BTW, Peter, Olivia and Walter have lost their close bond that they had for 3 years and people are acting only Lincoln can't catch a break.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MontseBagaria

    MontseBagaria

    [15]Apr 2, 2012
    • member since: 03/30/11
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 9

    One question...


    This is the timeline without Peter, he was erased and the story has been rewriten.


    So... why this storyline was so different only because Peter never existed?? And why is all so different??

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MOSTCAPABLEONE

    MOSTCAPABLEONE

    [16]Apr 2, 2012
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,477
    MontseBagaria wrote:

    One question...


    This is the timeline without Peter, he was erased and the story has been rewriten.


    So... why this storyline was so different only because Peter never existed?? And why is all so different??



    Think about yourself. If you removed your existence from your family, think about the dramatic effect it would have on the outcome of your family's storyline. Also, think about the ripple effect it will have on others you and your family have come in contact with.

    Certain things that have happened would not have happened. Certain things may still happen but happen sooner or later. I think about my cousin who worked in the first tower that went down during 911. She was delayed that morning going to work as her infant son became sick. Her son's illness saved her life as she got to work shortly after the plane hit the tower. Let's say we removed her son's existence from her storyline. She would have died in the towers (more than likely). Would have never had any children. Their contributions from her storyline would have been changed. In short, the slightest incident or non incident that either was supposed to or not supposed to take place can cause a major change to any story line.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of teahubb

    teahubb

    [17]Apr 2, 2012
    • member since: 04/02/12
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    i like that things are getting easier to handle for everyone. i love that peter now knows that it is his olivia, he just now needs to realize that this basically is his timeline, its just been rewritten. and the whole freaky animal barge, jones is becoming more of a dr. moreo character. i do hope they don't get loose! and how did that chick get the injection meds? that's a mystery in itself! to find out that the one hybrid was her brother and she was talking about them being adam and eve, that was pretty gross. she needs to be watched closely! can't wait for this weeks episode!!!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of C_J_B_Spender

    C_J_B_Spender

    [18]Apr 3, 2012
    • member since: 05/20/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 1,137

    As a fan of both Fringe and the Sword of Truth books, I spent the whole episode wondering "why does David Robert Jones want to make Gars?" It was an excellent episode nonetheless.


    Edited on 04/03/2012 7:41am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MOSTCAPABLEONE

    MOSTCAPABLEONE

    [19]Apr 3, 2012
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,477
    teahubb wrote:

    i like that things are getting easier to handle for everyone. i love that peter now knows that it is his olivia, he just now needs to realize that this basically is his timeline, its just been rewritten. and the whole freaky animal barge, jones is becoming more of a dr. moreo character. i do hope they don't get loose! and how did that chick get the injection meds? that's a mystery in itself! to find out that the one hybrid was her brother and she was talking about them being adam and eve, that was pretty gross. she needs to be watched closely! can't wait for this weeks episode!!!



    The Barge of Dr Morrow. LOL.

    That whole last scene confused me as well. At first, I wasn't sure if that was the same girl that grew wings and flew away earlier in the show or someone else. Secondly, that whole adam and eve marketing slogan would only fit IMO if they had already perfected the intended process. Since the process is not perfected (as seen by the rejects on the barge), there was no way they could advertise the idea to other people in an "inviting" enough way to get more test candidates. What do you say to a potential candidate? "Would you like to be the king of the new human race? Well take these injections and this MAY take you there or turn you into a monster???"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of C_J_B_Spender

    C_J_B_Spender

    [20]Apr 3, 2012
    • member since: 05/20/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 1,137
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    teahubb wrote:

    i like that things are getting easier to handle for everyone. i love that peter now knows that it is his olivia, he just now needs to realize that this basically is his timeline, its just been rewritten. and the whole freaky animal barge, jones is becoming more of a dr. moreo character. i do hope they don't get loose! and how did that chick get the injection meds? that's a mystery in itself! to find out that the one hybrid was her brother and she was talking about them being adam and eve, that was pretty gross. she needs to be watched closely! can't wait for this weeks episode!!!



    The Barge of Dr Morrow. LOL.

    That whole last scene confused me as well. At first, I wasn't sure if that was the same girl that grew wings and flew away earlier in the show or someone else. Secondly, that whole adam and eve marketing slogan would only fit IMO if they had already perfected the intended process. Since the process is not perfected (as seen by the rejects on the barge), there was no way they could advertise the idea to other people in an "inviting" enough way to get more test candidates. What do you say to a potential candidate? "Would you like to be the king of the new human race? Well take these injections and this MAY take you there or turn you into a monster???"


    It's a lie, but as long as you have them caged on your Creepy Noah's Ark before they realize they've been lied to, it's more effective to lie to them than to tell the truth.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MOSTCAPABLEONE

    MOSTCAPABLEONE

    [21]Apr 3, 2012
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,477
    C_J_B_Spender wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    teahubb wrote:

    i like that things are getting easier to handle for everyone. i love that peter now knows that it is his olivia, he just now needs to realize that this basically is his timeline, its just been rewritten. and the whole freaky animal barge, jones is becoming more of a dr. moreo character. i do hope they don't get loose! and how did that chick get the injection meds? that's a mystery in itself! to find out that the one hybrid was her brother and she was talking about them being adam and eve, that was pretty gross. she needs to be watched closely! can't wait for this weeks episode!!!



    The Barge of Dr Morrow. LOL.

    That whole last scene confused me as well. At first, I wasn't sure if that was the same girl that grew wings and flew away earlier in the show or someone else. Secondly, that whole adam and eve marketing slogan would only fit IMO if they had already perfected the intended process. Since the process is not perfected (as seen by the rejects on the barge), there was no way they could advertise the idea to other people in an "inviting" enough way to get more test candidates. What do you say to a potential candidate? "Would you like to be the king of the new human race? Well take these injections and this MAY take you there or turn you into a monster???"


    It's a lie, but as long as you have them caged on your Creepy Noah's Ark before they realize they've been lied to, it's more effective to lie to them than to tell the truth.


    Must be some really good lies...as the volunteers seem all in on the experiments.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.