Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Stowaway (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Mar 16, 2011
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 3/18/11 episode "Stowaway" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CaptainHarkness

[2]Mar 17, 2011
    • level: 23

I have a feeling we're gonna get some great acting from Anna Torv in this one. Plus we finally get to see the Lincoln Lee of our side!

historylover20

[3]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 28

OK, I like the Blue-verse's Lincoln Lee. He was pretty flashy in the Red-verse, but I think he was able to work the glasses. I like a cute nerd. And it was a nice dynamic to see Peter working with someone other than Walter and Olivia. Can we keep this Lincoln as well?

And I'm always happy to see Jean!

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I thought Bellivia got old after about 20 minutes. I kept thinking if Anna Torv was ruining her voice by talking like that for that long. Because think how many takes that she had to do that voice. Now, when she was talking more in her vocal range but using the speech patterns of Nimoy/Bell, I thought she was doing better.

I bet Jean was going "I don't want a human consciousness in me!" Poor Jean.

I was about ready to ask if we found out why that woman couldn't die and why she was able to die at the end. But then Bellivia explained it. (But, I wouldn't be taking tea from him/her, Peter.)

And way to end it right then, show. Why is it more complicated than Bell thought? Is Olivia fighting back? Hope so.

Not sure what to think about next week. Because I want to know more about how this Bellivia merger is going to end.

Kat

Edited on 03/18/2011 7:02pm

CaptainHarkness

[4]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 23

The Bellivia thing wa sinteresting but I have to keep wondering how many times people cracked up when she was doing the voice. This is a gag reel to look forward to! Our side's Lincoln was awesome and I'm glad they left the door open for him to return in the future. I wouldn't mind seeing him become a member of Fringe Division.

I really don't mind going over to the other universe next week. That's kinda more interesting to me then how William is gonna get out of Olivia's head.

historylover20

[5]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 28

Well, the real reason I would prefer to see the conclusion of Bellivia is because I want to see the conclusion of Bellivia. After the novelty wore off, I wanted him out of Olivia's body and I want our Olivia back. And, once again, next week, no Olivia and no Peter.

(But, yay! Charlie and Lincoln!)

Peter better not drink the tea.

Kat

jack756

[6]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 14

i put my tv on fox but i was tired so i went 2 sleep.wen i woke up fringe was going off i was so mad at myself..all i saw was the end wen william was talking 2 peter and then it was olivia then william again so creppy lol the next ep looks good i gotta stay up for that

akamidnight

[7]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 13
    historylover20 wrote:
    Why is it more complicated than Bell thought? Is Olivia fighting back? Hope so.

I'm sure it has something to do with the bells... Hmmm...

Bicketybam

[8]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 5

I get a feeling that for Lincoln to stay over here, he will become Bellincoln... although it would be nice for him to stay with his own personality so Peter can have a male friend.

Shreela

[9]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 8

Good catch on the tea offer - I didn't catch that while watching.

I also didn't recognize the new agent from the other world, so thanks for pointing that out also.

Hungry_Homer111

[10]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 26

historylover20 wrote:
    I thought Bellivia got old after about 20 minutes.

I'd say more like 2 minutes, at most... Honestly, when I saw the end of the last episode, I was excited. I thought that this would be a way for us to get some more answers about some of the more important elements of the show. Not all the answers, obviously. This is, after all, a show that has a Lost-like puzzle story, and if you put all the pieces together too early, there would be nothing left to show, but they could have told us something important, about the weapon, about the other universe, about the universe coming apart, anything. Though I guess we can get those in the time that Bell has remaining. As for what was actually shown, it was just too ridiculous IMO. I couldn't help rolling my eyes at several of the scenes that he/she was in. I've done my share of complaining about the love triangle, though after a few more episodes, and some though, I still decided that I thought that this season was the best so far. The same could happen for this story, and they could prove its worth in the next few episodes, but if it remains as cringe-worthy as it was in this episode, it will almost certainly push this season down on my favorite season list.

As for the main story, it was ok. It had some good ideas at the heart of the story, and had some nice moments later into the episode, specifically when they realized what she wanted to do on the train. Though I don't think it was done as well as it could have been.

I do have to say, I loved the little references to Caprica. For those who don't know, Paula Malcomson, who played Dana Gray in this episode also played Amanda Graystone on Caprica. Also, early in that series (the mini-series that was used as its pilot), there was a scene with Amanda's daughter Chloe where she and a friend board a train, and her friend has a bomb...

Anyway, I'd have to put this as my least favorite episode of the season so far, especially due to the ridiculous Bell scenes.

Lil-Ms

[11]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 12
    I loved seeing Lincoln again, I hope he becomes a member of the Fringe division over here too. I really liked him and Peter together.

Looking forward to see how the Bell/Olivia thing will work out. Wonder what the complications are. As someone else said, I think it's something to do with the bells. Olivia came through right when a bell was chiming in the background.

It's also nice to see Walter so happy with Bell, if Bell stays I think they will have some great scenes together.

I really wish they used Astrid more. She's one of my favorite characters but she's always put in the background.

haldrey

[12]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 22
    Awesome episode, the acting, the storyline, everything was great. Just one thing, because of the way it was promoted I kind of expected something more.

netgoddess

[13]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 10
    Bell always seemed mysterious like he had all the answers, and Walter was always looking up to him. I liked the episode, I just was expecting more profoundness from Bell. That Bell would explain some great secret or clarify something important that everyone has been confused about lately. But instead it seemed like Bell and Walter were just playmates or something.

The gender bending was a bit funny like when Bell was flirting with Astrid and it made her all jumpy. I have to imagine it being quite weird for Peter also.

I did quite enjoy Lincoln from our side, I do hope he becomes a regular, and I would love to see our Olivia interacting with our Lincoln since she developed a bond with the Lincoln in the alt reality.

Cranky_Old_Batt

[16]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 6

Sigh.

I used to be so hooked on this show.Now I find myself getting bored instead of being engrossed.

Really annoying: Old stoners. Not funny, just pathetic.

Almost as annoying: Olivia does Bell. The voice started to grate on me as did the lack of companion expressions, gestures, postures and other body language. I know Anna Torv is a more gifted actress than this.

Interesting pondering: Didn't William Bell kidnap a federal agent by taking over her body?

Icky pondering: Why/how is William Bell thinking with his lingam (coming on to Astrid) when he is in a body with a yoni?

Upside: Lincoln. A nice, cute nerd. That was a small plus.

Downside: Why is Bell even back if all he and Walter are going to do is buddy bond, get wasted and giggle like a couple of loser stoners? Isn't the world coming to an end a bit more important?

Shark bait: Blatant Christian mythos now? If stopping the bomb were orchestrated and predestined, by whom, William? The Judeo-Christian deity? Is that where this is going? The Device is a fancy way for Peter to be crucified?

If so, I will stop being bored and distracted and just not bother to watch at all.

BarryWeen3

[17]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 14

I don't know, I liked the Bell-Olivia merger. It was funny. I don't feel like Bell was being arrogant. He's like Walter, they're both super-smart, it's just that William has more confidence in himself, he's more like a version of Walternate. As for William flirting with Astrid, that was humorous to me. I don't think the writers are trying to retcon William's "personality" from his previous appearances, I just think they were aiming for more humor and it didn't come off as that to people.

I too agree with previous posters that it was the church bells that disrupted Bell's soul magnets. I initially thought that perhaps they would transfer Bell's consciousness into Grey's body. I also echo the sentiment of having our version of Lincoln join Fringe division as he seemed to take in all the weirdness in stride once he was able to process it.

Now we pop over to the other side to see what's happening with Olivia and the baby. Wasn't expecting another episode considering it's March Madness and Bones won't return till three weeks later. But Fringe has less episodes left and their season finale is earlier than Bones, so their schedules aren't going to mirror each other much. Thought they might though.

So it looks like instead we get one more episode "Bloodline", then the three week break, and then the final four episodes of the season air in a row from April 15 to May 6.

RKron

[18]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 7
    Cranky_Old_Batt wrote:

Sigh.

I used to be so hooked on this show.Now I find myself getting bored instead of being engrossed.

Really annoying: Old stoners. Not funny, just pathetic.

Almost as annoying: Olivia does Bell. The voice started to grate on me as did the lack of companion expressions, gestures, postures and other body language. I know Anna Torv is a more gifted actress than this.

Interesting pondering: Didn't William Bell kidnap a federal agent by taking over her body?

Icky pondering: Why/how is William Bell thinking with his lingam (coming on to Astrid) when he is in a body with a yoni?

Upside: Lincoln. A nice, cute nerd. That was a small plus.

Downside: Why is Bell even back if all he and Walter are going to do is buddy bond, get wasted and giggle like a couple of loser stoners? Isn't the world coming to an end a bit more important?

Shark bait: Blatant Christian mythos now? If stopping the bomb were orchestrated and predestined, by whom, William? The Judeo-Christian deity? Is that where this is going? The Device is a fancy way for Peter to be crucified?

If so, I will stop being bored and distracted and just not bother to watch at all.

Hmm, I wonder why you're getting bored when the story has more weight than ever. Back then, there was nothing behind the story. Now there's a clear goal and obstacles. Maybe you need more blood?

Walter (and Bell?) getting stoned: to each his own response to humour. I found it in character, so not going to judge.

Anna Torv actually did a lot of Bell's facial expressions, especially the signature eyebrow and mouth. Her walking was different from Olivia's, but I agree the voice can be a bit tiresome. Thankfully, I know it's not going to be a long plot point. Bear with it for a little longer.

Walter and Bell actually did more than getting stoned if you haven't noticed. They solved math, sifted through lists of patients to find a new host for Bell, and lifted Walter's spirits (which is very important in itself). True, they could have done more, but things happen for a reason. Supposedly, our questions get answered in another episode and this one is to foreshadow the finale.

I'm just going to ignore the last part of your comment. Fate does not need to be a Christianity thing. Fate can be a philosophical thing too: the illusion of free will.

RKron

[19]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 7
    Second comment: WATCH FRINGE LIVE! If you were not aware, Fringe ratings are quite low. Of course, it's on a friday slot, but if you are a fan, please plan ahead and make an effort to watch live on friday: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=137291516340511

Taccado

[20]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 19

I liked the episode because it was different. There was some humour to it and I did like Anna Torv's acting. Some might say it became boring after a while, but that's the way Bell talks and acts. She even did the little lifting-the-eyebrow thing which Bell did too. And I sure hope Lee plays a part in the future, he must do. Imagine his surprise when he finds out he has a doppelgänger in another universe.