Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: The Consultant (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 13, 2012
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/13/12 episode "The Consultant" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CharmedOneP391

[2]Apr 13, 2012
    • level: 19

One of the most action-packed thrilling episode in a LONG time. Honestly...I didn't know what to expect next. I'm still thinking AltBroyles turning himself in was too easy of a conclusion and his look to AltNina was kind of a "the plan is on course" look Idk...

Walter and Fauxlivia's interaction was awesome. Weird seeing her drink alcohol I suppose it's because of Lee's death.

Peter and Olivia were gone for most of this episode...what off banging somewhere I suppose. It was a bit refreshing though. I LOVE the episodes that switch back and forth between the universes, like Entrada and Subject 13. The scene with the woman in the Cab in RedVerse and her BlueVerse version the switching back and forth there was SO intense and I was actually laughing because I've never seen such a satisfying scene this season that had to do with the B plot-point of the episode. It was just a really, really strong scene for me.

WHERE is Walternate?? He's got to be behind this all even though he said in 'Back to Where You've Never Been' that he had nothing to do with what was happening. Although do we really believe him?

While DRJ was sitting on the bench talking to the guy who left the universe frequency-switching device in the cab, did he say "This arm-chair is going to be what I miss most?" Before Walter mentioned this possibility at the end I was wondering if he was just wanting to destroy both worlds. This episode really made me want to see the fall out of that ship full of Adam&Eve human/animal/creature hybrids on steroids and how that plays into the plot with collapsing both worlds.

I also think DRJ is working for someone. If I had to choose who I think it is... I'd think

1.Walternate: Has been MIA more most of Season 4. Been in only 1 episode maybe 2.

2. William Bell: C'mon we haven't heard anything about his whereabouts in Amber's timeline. Besides he died on our side I believe. I know LN retired from on screen acting...but it'd be a huge reveal for a Series Finale that William Bell was the villain all along.

3. Mystery Zepplin Man from 3x19 LSD: Because we know Olivia is fated to die in any possible futures..and she now remembers that she saw him and thinking he's the man who will kill her (plus we have heard from the writers that they have plans to explain)

I'm relieved they filmed 2 endings for 'Endgame, Part 2' at least if it's the Series Finale..there wont be an open cliffhanger.

POSSIBLE-SPOILER:next's week's episode looks amazing...I love when Fringe goes to the Future. Desmond from Lost. Nazi-like Observers taking over the Amber timeline's future? Is this the cause of what DRJ is planning?

Edited on 04/13/2012 9:32pm

blackmage8472

[3]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 15

Let me put it this way: If this is the end of Fringe, I'm unhappy with the potential ending. If this is a beginning of the end, even if next season is shortened, then I am happy to anticipate the end. Regardless, the scene with the Astrids was fun.

Edited on 04/13/2012 11:30pm

JaiCSC

[4]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 17

Oh God, I actually like Fauxlivia in this one.

What is happening to me. Am I being merged with some other JaiCSC from another universe who for the past two years liked her?

I think we got another very good episode. Not as good as last weeks for me because I liked how they developed Clark Kent Lincoln just that little bit more. But this was still great. I loved the little touches, Astrid getting the coffee, Colonel Broyles talking to Walter asking if he would do things differently. the added little details here and there. Solid episode start to finish.

buildam2005

[5]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 14

A very smart episode. I loved how we got character development and relationship development in oodles of ways.

I didn't find Alt Broyles' confession and turning himself in too easy; I thought he saw the damage that Walter's choices had made, and decided/realized there was a greater good he had to accept that was, in the end, bigger than his son's life. It created an interesting difference between him and Walter, and I thought the scene where he and Walter talked about the latter's actions regarding Peter really nice.

I also love how the writers are taking advantage of all these different opportunities for interaction. It's really creating a new level of depth to the various relationships these people have. I loved Fauxlivia and Walter's egg-making conversation. I always did like Fauxlivia, even when she was masquerading as real Olivia; she was never reallya "bad guy"; she was doing her job, trying to protect her world--just like our Olivia and company were.

historylover20

[6]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 28

I loved FauxLivia in this one, and her actions with Walter were so sweet. I've actually been enjoying Faux this season.

I also loved the scene with the Astrids. Astrid brought Alt coffee, and that little squeal of delight--that was awesome!

I also think that the plan is right on schedule, even though Alt-Broyles has been arrested. I'm glad Alt-Broyles turned mole for something like his family instead of making him a shapeshifter. It adds more depth than just a hand waved "Yep. Shifter." Because what will happen to Chris since his father has confessed? I don't see Alt-Broyles just throwing something like that away without having a backup plan for Chris and his wife. I think the plan is going through on schedule as well.

Good episode. Maybe not the best ever, but definitely looking forward to next week's!

Kat

SorryOldHorse

[7]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 2

Just watched it online a few minutes ago...wow. Incredible development. It was interesting to see the conversation that AltBroyles and Jones had at AltBroyles' house, saying that love makes us weak, but it makes us human. Which is interesting because that doesn't seem to be the case at all with Peter and Olivia.

The previews for next week have me incredibly excited, though! Observers taking over the planet? Walter encased in Amber? Holy shit.

On another note, Ive noticed that the glyph for this episode spelled Simon, and the glyphs usually have something to do with the next episode airing. Going on the Fringepedia site, the only Simon is Simon Phillips, who was in episode 12 of season 3 "Concentrate and Ask Again." Maybe it's a different Simon in next week's episode, but then again, who knows?

Hungry_Homer111

[8]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 26

Yet another great episode this week. I really love the great character development they've been playing with throughout the whole alternate timeline story arc, and this is another great example. Ever since we first saw Alternate Broyles speaking with Jones, I just assumed he was a shapeshifter working for him. Towards the beginning of this episode, I was wondering why they wouldn't be able to tell that he was the mole based on the shapeshifter radar they found last episode, but that was the only first and only time I questioned the possibility of him being a shapeshifter until they revealed the truth. And I've got to say, they did a fantastic job of making it seem believable that alternate Broyles would betray everyone. I loved the scene between him and his son when he hears about how much better his son's life has gotten thanks to his medication. But I'd say the highlight of that story was the scene between him and Walter, when he asked Walter if he'd make the same choice if given the option. Him saying that he would was a bittersweet moment for me, because obviously it symbolizes that he has finally allowed himself to be happy and accept Peter as his son, and Olivia as a kind of daughter(as emphasized by his interactions with them earlier), but it also shows that some of his darker impulses have returned. I guess it's only natural. That David Robert Jones quote mentioned before pretty much sums it up: love can make us weak, and love can make us human. But I love the contrast between the spirit of this scene and Alternate Broyles' final decision to turn himself in (assuming it wasn't part of Jones' plan).

This whole episode surprised me by making me love this version of alternate Broyles, and I think the same has been true for alternate Olivia this season. To be honest, I actually did start to like her character towards the end of season 3, but I'm still surprised about how much I have grown to love her character. I think it helps that the writers have given her a very sympathetic situation, so that we can understand her pain. But I also think a big part of the credit should go to Anna Torv for giving her a very likable personality. I loved watching her scenes with Walter in this episode, and seeing how far their relationship has come since the beginning of the season. In a strange way, it almost seemed like he was developing yet another parental relationship with her, on top of his relationships with Peter and Olivia.

This season as a whole has seemed remarkably strong IMO. They've done a great job of making us care for these altered versions of characters we've known from the beginning, briliantly exploring the personal conflicts of the characters, and mixing in both old and new mythology elements to help progress the series' main storyline. It may not be perfect, especially given some of the weaker episodes this season (which I still don't think were as bad as the weaker episodes in previous seasons), but the good elements in this season far outweigh the bad this season. Of course, there's always the possibility that it might all fall apart in the end, but the closer we get to the finale, the more my fears start to disappear. Right now, my biggest concern is wheather it will be renewed for another season (shortened or not) so the writers can plan for a real conclusion for the series, but once we hear about that, I'll be able sit back and enjoy the wild ride.

ummhaniyyah

[9]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 8

Re Col. Broyles - I don't understand. Isn't he a shifter? Or has that changed now that Peter is back?

I remember Col. Broyles being replaced.

BarryWeen3

[10]Apr 14, 2012

To echo others, loved the character interactions.

Astrid and Astrid with the coffee gift.

Walter helping Altlivia.

I don't think Col. Broyles turning himself in was part of RDJ's plans. I think he had an inkling of what might happen if he had went through with attaching the device as ordered and couldn't go through with what might happen even for the sake of his son.

So Walter theorizes the device would give RDJ the ability to collapse both universes. So he merges both universes into one with him running things with his new world order.

CharmedOneP391

[11]Apr 14, 2012

ummhaniyyah wrote:

Re Col. Broyles - I don't understand. Isn't he a shifter? Or has that changed now that Peter is back?

He wasn't replaced. I'm not sure whether you're talking about Season 3's 'Entrada' where Broyles was killed and his body was mutilated to replace Fauxlivia's mass during her switch back, or Season 4's 'Back to Where You've Never Been' when we learned he was conspiring with DRJ. We weren't sure until this episode whether or not he was a shapeshifter or if it was (Amber)RedBroyles..now we now

I can't wait for next week's. #April20thIsThe19th

PS:

I think this episode may be foreshadowing why Peter and Olivia's baby was important, and why September told Peter that he had his son with the wrong Olivia. Maybe David Robert Jones is working for the other Observers, to try and find a way to merge two people's Universe-Frequencies because that's the key to their eventual-existence. September messed up by distracting Walternate in 1985, which led to Baby Henry, which led to The Observers messing up by erasing Peter after he built the bridge because now Olivia is fated to die in any possible future. Peter and Olivia's baby would've had both the Redverse and Blueverse frequencies in him..which is most likely the key to the Observers coming to fruition.

Oh man I hope i'm on to something here.

Edited on 04/14/2012 7:19pm
    Edited 6 total times.

SorryOldHorse

[12]Apr 15, 2012

CharmedOneP391 wrote:

ummhaniyyah wrote:

He wasn't replaced. I'm not sure whether you're talking about Season 3's 'Entrada' where Broyles was killed and his body was mutilated to replace Fauxlivia's mass during her switch back, or Season 4's 'Back to Where You've Never Been' when we learned he was conspiring with DRJ. We weren't sure until this episode whether or not he was a shapeshifter or if it was (Amber)RedBroyles..now we now

I can't wait for next week's. #April20thIsThe19th

PS:

I think this episode may be foreshadowing why Peter and Olivia's baby was important, and why September told Peter that he had his son with the wrong Olivia. Maybe David Robert Jones is working for the other Observers, to try and find a way to merge two people's Universe-Frequencies because that's the key to their eventual-existence. September messed up by distracting Walternate in 1985, which led to Baby Henry, which led to The Observers messing up by erasing Peter after he built the bridge because now Olivia is fated to die in any possible future. Peter and Olivia's baby would've had both the Redverse and Blueverse frequencies in him..which is most likely the key to the Observers coming to fruition.

Oh man I hope i'm on to something here.

That's actually not a bad theory, but as we know, Fringe's 19th episode in each season really likes to screw with us (like the LSD episode and the animated bit in that. Totally screwed with my head lol). So anything could happen next week.

Edited on 04/15/2012 7:02am

Canada_Michael

[13]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 10
    Does the line that they are subject to the other universes laws mean anything? I think at some point Walter may crossover & be arrested. I find it a little too neat and tidy that everyone is OK with Walter, since all the important players know it was his original crossover & taking of Peter that is responsible for the damage to their universe. Alt Broyles is locked up for helping DRJ and causing the death of many people, but it comes nowhere near the amount of death & destruction Walter has caused.

es1dramafan

[14]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 3
    In the future at the end of season 3 Walter was in prison so if certain things don't change he could still wind up in prison. We don't know how much will change from Peter being gone then back plus with Agent Lee staying on the other side it may change a lot as well.

historylover20

[15]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 28

Changing topics a little bit, because I re-watched today...

Nothing important, but I nearly died laughing at this little exchange:

Walter: Most car accidents occur between home and work.

Astrid: Yeah, so does most driving.

Ha! Way to go, Astrid!

(Also, how cute was Walter's joy in his son and his son's girlfriend?)

Kat

CharmedOneP391

[16]Apr 15, 2012

historylover20 wrote:

Changing topics a little bit, because I re-watched today...

Nothing important, but I nearly died laughing at this little exchange:

Walter: Most car accidents occur between home and work.

Astrid: Yeah, so does most driving.

Ha! Way to go, Astrid!

(Also, how cute was Walter's joy in his son and his son's girlfriend?)

Kat

That was pretty funny I caught that on my re-watch too. Also..originally when I was watching I couldn't believe the scene where the woman in both worlds was in the cab/in the grocery store at the same time and it switched back and forth between universes like 8 times in 1 minute. I was laughing so hard...not because it was funny but more because of excitement..It was a really satisfying scene for me. Loved this episode too.

e11wJjhm

[17]Apr 16, 2012

Very disappointed in the reveal that Colonel Broyles betrayed both universes because he loved his son. If he was a shapeshifter his behavior would have made sense.

I remember a Colonel Broyles in episode 3x07 "The Abducted" who committed treason for helping Olivia escape back to our side. His only reason for doing so was his belief and hope that Olivia could help in fixing both worlds. In doing so he paid the price with his life.

Now we have the same Colonel Broyles committing treason but instead of hoping to fix the universes he is directly responsible for causing massive damage and death in both.

The writing in this episode and the last one looks like a rush job to get to the series end.

MajLorne

[18]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 21
    No, I think it was consistent for Col Broyles. I dunno how much of an effect Peter's absence was, but maybe our Olivia, when she was brain washed in season 3 into thinking she was Fauxlivia, never solved the case that cured Broyle's son and thus his son is dependent on those drugs to keep him healthy. In season 3 because our Olivia played a big role in saving his son, Col Broyles had enough motivation to get Olivia safely home.

Here, while he was blackmailed to help Jones, in the end with Walter's advice, he doesn't carry out the plan and turns himself in and prevents the destruction of the 2 worlds/universes. So it's still the same person, but under different circumstances.

MajLorne

[19]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 21
    ummhaniyyah wrote:

Season3 showed that shapeshifters can have emotional attachments based upon the person they assumed. But it could also have been a red herring that Broyles was even a shapeshifter at all. So it is possible he was human from the start (and maybe even altNina), but were coerced into helping Jones for certain reasons.

buildam2005

[20]Apr 17, 2012
    Canada_Michael wrote:
    Does the line that they are subject to the other universes laws mean anything? I think at some point Walter may crossover & be arrested. I find it a little too neat and tidy that everyone is OK with Walter, since all the important players know it was his original crossover & taking of Peter that is responsible for the damage to their universe. Alt Broyles is locked up for helping DRJ and causing the death of many people, but it comes nowhere near the amount of death & destruction Walter has caused.

But the HUGE difference is that Walter wasn't actively trying to hurt people or, you know, help a terrorist. He went originally to attempt to save his son's life, unaware (at least not entirely aware) of the ramifications/effects of his crossing over. Broyles was fully and completely aware of what he was doing in his betrayal and treachery. It seems like trying to compare apples and donuts if one attempts to fully parallel the two. Okay, maybe apples and oranges because at least both men were trying to help their child (or, in Walter's case, the remaining version of his child).