We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Unearthed/Charlie still alive? (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 104
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 1/11/10 episode "Unearthed" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    Edited on 01/25/2010 10:19am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[2]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 28

OK, in all honesty, I found this kind of boring. I guess I prefer the mythologies. Or episodes that advance the mythology. And this one didn't.

It might have to do with the lack of continuity. It's definitely a season 1 episode. Charlie is around.

It makes me wonder why this didn't air during season 1. Or why it wasn't on the DVDs (like "Epitaph One" is on Dollhouse's DVDs.) Anybody know why?

(Also, Peter was always sick as a kid? Since when? He's not the Peter who was sick--that was Walter's real son. And if Peter was always sick, why no medical records?)

But, I did love Peter's interaction with Lisa. That was about the only part I enjoyed. Maybe it was because I was bored.

Kat

mayanajia

[3]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 6

WOW. what the hell.

Why was Charlie there?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I was actually enjoying the episode until he showed up. And I have a horrible memory, so I was starting to doubt my sanity a little bit. I just can't believe they ignored a ridiculously large goof like that. ugh

and I chose to watch this instead of Heroes

Other than that.. pretty good episode lol

toonaspie

[4]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 15

I'm pretty sure it was a network decision to screw the episode chronology like they did by holding this episode over. I do know that Fringe was only given a 20 episode season run last year instead of a normal 22 episode run (so they could show a preview of Glee). With all the hiatusing last year, they could've found a way to squeeze this episode in.

I'm starting to think that FOX is not caring for the show's mytharc aspect. They're treating this show too much like a crime/monster-of-the-week show without considering the stuff that the fanbase is really in it for. I wish they could've just not aired this episode and made this a DVD exclusive in the season 1 set. Confusing the hell out of the viewers doesnt really help matters here.

historylover20

[5]Jan 11, 2010

Yeah, I didn't watch The Big Bang Theory. And I'm kinda mad about that.

Charlie was there because this was a season 1 episode. So, Charlie hasn't died yet.

But, none of the characters acted like themselves. It was weird. Every character was off in a way I can't exactly explain. Well, Walter--he was most coherent I've ever seen him. No weird food cravings. No strange memories. He really wasn't all that excited about the idea of giving drugs to someone.

It was just weird. And for a strange show anyways, having a "weird" episode doesn't work.

Kat

Edited on 01/11/2010 7:24pm

OrSoIThought

[6]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 11
    Oh well, and here was me thinking Charlie was going to be some sort of hallucination thing with Olivia since nobody really talked directly to him except for her. Well, that's disappointing considering how well done the rest of the show is. I did like the episode though. It was kind of neat.

Khansolo

[7]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 10
    No they messed up. Unearthed is season 2 episode 11 (the newest episode). But I do believe it was filmed in season 1. Man what a screw up.
    Edited on 01/11/2010 9:57pm

KStanf

[8]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 4
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119644/news

vamoose11223344

[9]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 3
    Although the whole Charlie thing was a bit of a mix up, I don`t blame it on the show or its producers, rather on the Networks. My wife and I love the show, and still do...even after the mix up. We just hate the networks for not just accepting the show for what it is. lol. And as always...Networks, please stop canceling great shows, and replacing them with crap.

ozoak

[10]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 7
    I haven't watched this ep yet ... it's just sitting there taunting me...

To those who've seen it, is there any chance they could be trying to work this in as an 'alternate universe' event? Explained by character inconsistencies, resurrected character etc? I honestly wouldn't have expected them to abuse a JJ Abrams show given the 'following' he has. Maybe I expect too much of networks

TBH I'm not sure I want to spoil the 'flow' though by watching a season 1 ep right now if it really is just a standalone ep out of step with the current season.

What say the masses: view it or skip it?

Larexx

[11]Jan 12, 2010
    I usually don't comment on this show but I was confused by the appearance of Agent Charlie Francis. I'm glad to see I haven't lost it & everyone else agrees that this was a confusing mess up! I liked Charlie & was sad when they killed him off. It was nice to see him again but this episode was definitely out of sequence. I also agree with HistoryLover20 that the characters seemed oddly off as well. I couldn't enjoy this episode as much as past ones because of all the confusion!

Chaos_Zombie

[12]Jan 12, 2010
    Like I said in the other thread, I still think JJ is going to spin this into a larger story despite it being made for Season 1. According to the mythology there's a ton of universes, one for every decision, so this could be another universe (not the one Peter was pulled from), hence Charlie's being alive. Yes, it could be confusing if you didn't know it was from Season 1 but I bet it'll be explained by the end of Season 2. For what it was, it was a mediocre episode at best unless it does turn into something more. If that happens then I think I'll appreciate what they did here a little more.

althalus69

[13]Jan 12, 2010
    That was lackluster and very boring.
    They should have left it buried and forgotten.

Looking forward to the continuation of season 2.

[Edit]

Watching the end though made me think that maybe the USS Glasgow will play another role in the future and thats why they dragged this episode in.
    Edited on 01/12/2010 3:08pm

tjoceasde

[14]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 18

It is unfortunate that Fox aired this episode out of order, but this isn't the first time this happened on Fox.

Some of you may recall that Bones was set to air an episode the week of the Virginia Tech shooting that portrayed the, for lack of a better term, gruesome death of a college basketball player. Fox felt that it would be best to pull that episode. Fast forward one year later, the TV writers go on strike and FOX runs out of Bones episodes. But low and behold, they have a lost episode in the vault that they can use to go on another week. The main difference between that situation and this one is that the continuity differences between the Bones episodes was minimal (mainly the seriousness of Angela & Hodgens relationship). Here, there is a major plot hole.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that sometimes episodes don't air when they're supposed to. So we can complain, or we can just agree that the episode was awesome. I mean, what can be better than Walter arguing with a priest over resurrection.

historylover20

[15]Jan 12, 2010

I don't think the episode was awesome. But, that's my opinion.

Guys, this is simply a lost season 1 standalone episode. It's not meant to be in continuity with season 2. It's not an alternate universe (Charlie didn't have a facial scar). It didn't have Vancouver exterior, which marks it as a season 2 episode. It had New York exteriors (which mark it as season 1).

It was something that Fox pulled out of the vault because they didn't have anything to show last night after "House." That's a reason it didn't air on its usual night. Once it returns on Thursday, it'll be in continuity.

There are 2 missing episodes from season 1, because Fringe had 20 episodes, while 22 episodes were ordered. Why this wasn't on the season 1 DVDs is more of a mystery to me. Because it shouldn't have been aired now. Too many people were confused. I'm also reading the TWoP forums, and they were confused by Charlie as well.

Kat

Edited on 01/12/2010 5:39pm

Dirk13

[16]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 16

I dont understand, why didn't fox think that fans wouldn't wonder what was wrong with this episode?

I mean, do they think a regular viewer of the show (which you'd kind of have to be to follow it) would be so dumb as to miss the whole Charlie thing?

I read the guide here beforehand and knew it was an unaired season 1 episode already, but like with most people, had I seen it without that knowledge, I would have been terribly confused seeing Charlie alive.

The last thing Fox needs to do is confuse Fringe viewers further on accident, who's "brilliant" idea was it to air this episode and not at least advertising the discontinuity?

historylover20

[17]Jan 12, 2010
    Dirk13 wrote:

I dont understand, why didn't fox think that fans wouldn't wonder what was wrong with this episode?

I mean, do they think a regular viewer of the show (which you'd kind of have to be to follow it) would be so dumb as to miss the whole Charlie thing?

I read the guide here beforehand and knew it was an unaired season 1 episode already, but like with most people, had I seen it without that knowledge, I would have been terribly confused seeing Charlie alive.

The last thing Fox needs to do is confuse Fringe viewers further on accident, who's "brilliant" idea was it to air this episode and not at least advertising the discontinuity?

I know. I'm thinking that it's a big "screw you" to fans. Because, unlike most shows, we do have to deal with the fact that occasionally it takes place in an alternative universe. So, if you didn't know that it technically wasn't a new episode (as in, it wasn't a season 2 episode), you really would have been confused. Even if you were a loyal fan.

I had seen different places where it was an unaired season 1 episode, so I was aware of it. But, every time I saw Charlie, it threw me out of the episode. I didn't wonder about Charlie being alive--because this was season 1. But, I probably would have liked it better had Charlie NOT been there.

A disclaimer or something "An unaired episode from season 1" would have helped immensely. But, instead, they advertised it as "new."

Someone on TWoP called it "a leftover." They described it as a "unaired rerun."

Kat

enervator

[18]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 38

The episode definitely seemed "off". I knew it was a leftover from last season so seeing Charlie didn't bother me as much as it did others, but it just felt off. I wonder if it would have flowed better if it had been run when it was supposed to be, but just plopping it into the middle of this season after how much has happened since the first just took away from it. As a standalone episode (which it seems many people don't tend to like) they probably figured they could just air it whenever they saw fit, but honestly I'm not sure anything was really gained from them finally showing it...unless there really is something in it that they've determined is germane to the rest of this season.

The ending just seemed like something out of a cliche horror movie.

danharr

[19]Jan 12, 2010
    • level: 46
    Ok that was dumb no alternative universe no hallucination just screw you fans from fox here's a season one episode we never aired and now what are we to do with a murderous body theif on the loose?

kraylith

[20]Jan 13, 2010
    historylover20 wrote:

OK, in all honesty, I found this kind of boring. I guess I prefer the mythologies. Or episodes that advance the mythology. And this one didn't.

It might have to do with the lack of continuity. It's definitely a season 1 episode. Charlie is around.

It makes me wonder why this didn't air during season 1. Or why it wasn't on the DVDs (like "Epitaph One" is on Dollhouse's DVDs.) Anybody know why?

(Also, Peter was always sick as a kid? Since when? He's not the Peter who was sick--that was Walter's real son. And if Peter was always sick, why no medical records?)

But, I did love Peter's interaction with Lisa. That was about the only part I enjoyed. Maybe it was because I was bored.

Kat

I actually don't remember Peter saying he was sick all the time, but if he was I'd assume he's simply decided to roll with what Walter says all the time? It's his father, he says he was sick all the time (the Peter from this side), he probably can't remember all of it very well because that was in his childhood (who remembers his childhood perfectly? he didn't even remember being taken to this side by Walter) so yeah, Dad wouldn't lie about this, I probably just can't remember all that well, so yeah, I guess I was sick all the time. Nothing serious though, I'd remember that.

Something like that.

The episode was boring imo and the Charlie thing .... meh ... not even a new episode (as in further along in the ongoing storyline) but an old one we haven't seen yet and that had absolute no impact on the overall storyline...