Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Worlds Apart (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Apr 25, 2012
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 4/27/12 episode "Worlds Apart" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[2]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 28

I loved that scene when the Walters were sitting together. I had to laugh at myself, because my first thought was "Hey! They sit identically! Look at their hand position!" Then I remembered "Oh, yeah. Same actor!" I tend to forget whenever I watch John Noble on screen. It's easy to forget that he's playing both Walters. (In fact, how many different versions of Walter has he played? He says 9, but is that right?)

You know what? I'm going to miss the red 'verse. And I'm also going to miss Lincoln. He did go over, right? I kind of got a little distracted in the last two minutes. (Maybe we can visit them once again in the remaining 15 episodes.)

But, that scene with the Walters made a good episode great.

Kat

Laserwolf412

[3]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 5

I was actually pretty surprised that this wasn't the second part of the Letters of Transit episode about the alternate future controlled by the others. I was actually looking forward to it all week and don't know why I appear to be the only person confused about this. Was that episode supposed to be self contained with no real resolution? After I saw that they were back to normal this week I assumed they'd jump back into it next week like when they were alternating the episodes about the different Universes last season but it appears next week and the week after are just the season finale episodes set in the normal timeline. Did they say this was a one time deal or that they were just waiting until next season to pick it back up again?

Edited on 04/27/2012 9:25pm

BarryWeen3

[4]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 14

Laserwolf412 wrote:

I was actually pretty surprised that this wasn't the second part of the Letters of Transit episode about the alternate future controlled by the others. I was actually looking forward to it all week and don't know why I appear to be the only person confused about this. Was that episode supposed to be self contained with no real resolution? After I saw that they were back to normal this week I assumed they'd jump back into it next week like when they were alternating the episodes about the different Universes last season but it appears next week and the week after are just the season finale episodes set in the normal timeline. Did they say this was a one time deal or that they were just waiting until next season to pick it back up again?

If you've seen the trailer for season 5 of Fringe, you'd know the answer was that the Fringe team is going to war next season.

MoRestrepo

[5]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 4

I think we're not done yet with the red universe. The healing process on the red side might have been broken when the bridge was closed, but there's still Jones (or anybody else with the capacity to jump in between universes) to cause further damage if the same amount of mass tranferred isn't replaced at the other side, causing ripples in the space-time continuum.

Besides, the memories of the other universe existence lingers on this universe, and most likely on the other side, too.

Did anyone get a glimpse of the observers?

JaiCSC

[6]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 17

Why must I continue this trend of liking Fauxlivia? She grew up in a world without a ****ing rainbow. That is the saddest thing I have ever heard. Yeah it's weird thing for her to come out and say but that is just too horrible.

If I'm honest I kinda thought this episode was only OK. I liked the ending a lot but the main plot wasn't as good. I didn't feel the tension like I did with 6.02AM. We even had a counter here and a difficult choice but I never really felt edge of my seat. Probably not a good idea to follow last weeks episode with this one in that respect.

I'm really glad that there's another season now because I hope we get a better send off to the other universe. I guess it was a little anticlimactic for me. Maybe I'm just being greedy but I thought if that were to ever happen I was expecting it to be a bit grander. Maybe they were building to something like this for a while but had to use that now just in case Fringe wasn't coming back.

historylover20 wrote:

(In fact, how many different versions of Walter has he played? He says 9, but is that right?)

Not sure what defines a different Walter but for me

Walter
    Walternate
    80's Walter
    80's Walternate
    Gold Walter
    Gold Walternate
    Grey Future Walter
    Grey Future Walternate
    Not as lovable Walter (from Grey Matters)
    Observer FutureBrain Damaged Walter.
    Observer FutureBrain Damaged Walter turned not as lovable Walter.

I count 11.

And here's something I missed in the opening titles first time.

Edited on 04/28/2012 12:30am
    Edited 4 total times.

historylover20

[7]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 28

Oh, that's a sweet screenshot! And it is probably tying into last week's episode. And, I wasn't overly impressed with the plot, but that ending made up for the weaknesses. I still love Walter and Walternate together.

And if you would have told me last year that Bolivia would have been one of my favorite characters, I would have called you crazy. But, I loved her speech about missing rainbows.

To the third poster (sorry, I forgot your ID)

If you would have seen the episode promo last week, you would have known that this episode was set in the present. In the official thread of "Letters of Transit," we talked about it not being a two-parter. I know I was wanting for it to be a two parter.

Kat

Hungry_Homer111

[8]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 26

Even though it wasn't the best, I stillloved this episode. I viewed it more as a set-up for the two-part finale, which is where most of the excitement from the David Robert Jones plans will come from, but what we saw here was still very interesting. Given what we know from the last episode, I couldn't help shaking my head when Olivia kept thinking that the war that Nick Lane was talking about was with the alternate universe, but obviously she wouldn't know the truth about the Observers so it makes sense. And speaking of which, I'm so glad to see them address the original plans for the Cortexiphan children. We've never really seen why it was so important to perform those tests on the children. They have obviously been helpful in the past, especially with getting Peter back from the alternate universe in season 2, but nothing really life or death, like they made it seem when describing the original intentions for the experiments.

Also, even with the story progression in the episode, it still managed to have some good character moments throughout the episode. As mentioned, I liked the scene where Fauxlivia talks about not seeing rainbows in the alternate universe and the final scene between the two Walters. Also, even though it was obvious thatit would happen, I did like when Lincoln told Peter he wasgoing to live in the other universe because he felt more at home there. It was nice to have those moments with those characters, especially since itis probablythe last time we see them. It's true that they don't neccessarily need the link in order to show us what's happening over there. However, I think that once everything is settled with David Robert Jones, there may not be much reason for us to see them again. The main threat now is the Observers, and they seem more interested in the blue universe than anything else. If this is the last time we see them, I'm with Walter: I'm going to miss them.

CharmedOneP391

[9]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 19

historylover20 wrote:

I loved that scene when the Walters were sitting together. I had to laugh at myself, because my first thought was "Hey! They sit identically! Look at their hand position!" Then I remembered "Oh, yeah. Same actor!" I tend to forget whenever I watch John Noble on screen. It's easy to forget that he's playing both Walters. (In fact, how many different versions of Walter has he played? He says 9, but is that right?)

You know what? I'm going to miss the red 'verse. And I'm also going to miss Lincoln. He did go over, right? I kind of got a little distracted in the last two minutes. (Maybe we can visit them once again in the remaining 15 episodes.)

Kat

Hmmm..lets count:

1.BlueVerse Walter

2.Redverse Walternate

3.1985 Blueverse Walter

4.1985 Redverse Walternate

6.2026 'The Day We Died' Walter

7.Amber Timeline Walter

8.Amber Timline Walternate

9.2036 childlike walter

10.2036 badass walter

shoot im counting 10...did i mess up?

I loved this episode. We know we're not done with the redverse. and I know that DRJ cant be a good guy..I do think he may be working with the oberservers. I'm not sure what to expect from the SEASON finale. So happy I can say that and enjoy the finale knowing it's coming back.

Worlds Apart was another great installment

CharmedOneP391

[10]Apr 28, 2012

[/QUOTE]

Man check you out...catching awesome things and all. Thats so cool

ummhaniyyah

[11]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 8

Okay, sometimes plots just don't make sense. In this case, wouldn't it have been easier and just as effective to round up the Red universe doppelgangers of the Cortexiphan subjects and bring them over the bridge into our universe? I mean, that way there wouldn't be a link to anything over there and there are a finite number of Cortexiphan subjects. So, just don't understand the whole tracking subjects thing...

Hungry_Homer111

[12]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 26
    Because they don't know the identities of all the Cortexiphan children and wouldn't have been able to find out in the time they had left, especially with Nick Lane stalling them for as long as he did. They didn't know how many attacks they could withstand (Walter even said he was surprised the worlds weren't destroyed yet), so they couldn't risk taking longer than the time they had until the next attack on the off chance that they would be able to find all of them.

ummhaniyyah

[13]Apr 28, 2012
    I agree with you. That was an amazing scene with the two Walters. Walternate is now so human and it seems that there is real forgiveness.

CharmedOneP391 wrote:

historylover20 wrote:

Kat

Hmmm..lets count:

1.BlueVerse Walter

2.Redverse Walternate

3.1985 Blueverse Walter

7.Amber Timeline Walter

9.2036 childlike walter

10.2036 badass walter

I loved this episode. We know we're not done with the redverse. and I know that DRJ cant be a good guy..I do think he may be working with the oberservers. I'm not sure what to expect from the SEASON finale. So happy I can say that and enjoy the finale knowing it's coming back.

CharmedOneP391

[15]Apr 28, 2012

ummhaniyyah wrote:
    I agree with you. That was an amazing scene with the two Walters. Walternate is now so human and it seems that there is real forgiveness.
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:

historylover20 wrote:

Kat

Hmmm..lets count:

1.BlueVerse Walter

2.Redverse Walternate

3.1985 Blueverse Walter

7.Amber Timeline Walter

9.2036 childlike walter

10.2036 badass walter

Woops: my #5 2026 Walternate

whohasthecheese

[16]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 1

MoRestrepo wrote:

Did anyone get a glimpse of the observers?

Observer is here: http://fringepedia.net/w/images/0/04/Observer420.jpg

JaiCSC wrote:

That's actually been there for all of the opening sequences. Look at the intro from 2008 - it's still there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20EO4XMBQgM

JaiCSC

[17]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 17

whohasthecheese wrote:

That's actually been there for all of the opening sequences. Look at the intro from 2008 - it's still there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20EO4XMBQgM

Oh.

Then I guess It didn't miss that the first time I've missed that for virtually every episode of Fringe and the many many repeat viewings of them. I feel a bit dim now.

Octavian

[18]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 1
    @ Laserwolf412

"Letters of Transit" was just an ep to intro you to season 5. That is what is going to happen in the future. The next two ep's of this season (4) will answer a lot of the questions here on the board (IE..where was Olivia?). They could not have just started season 5 without giving you some sort of hint as to what was going to happen.

ummhaniyyah

[19]Apr 28, 2012

I remember them finding a list of the Cortexiphan subjects in Jacksonville. Plus, they've dealt with several of them before in cases - they know the total number.

BarryWeen3

[20]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 14

ummhaniyyah wrote:

I remember them finding a list of the Cortexiphan subjects in Jacksonville. Plus, they've dealt with several of them before in cases - they know the total number.

Yes, but remember with Peter activating the machine and forming the bridge, he got erased and the timeline was rewritten. As we learned after he reappeared, events and cases he remembered, not all of them happened in this new amber timeline. Events unfolded differently in the amber timeline without him being there.