Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: Worlds Apart (possible spoilers)

BarryWeen3

[21]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 14

Just realized, I never commented on the episode itself...

Bittersweet is the main sentiment I have. They stoped RDJ for now, but at what cost?

It was great watching both teams working together, as well as the two Walters.

Two more episodes to go and that preview promises more "fun" to come.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cyberdjinn

[22]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 9

I'm going to say this here, now, just in case I'm right (so I can prove it later). Of course, I might be a little too cynical for my own good.

What if this has all been a big bluff by RDJ to make them disconnect the universes? Localised earthquakes that don't even cause any real damage? (The people at the very epicentres were fine!) One of them is a reverse-empath ... who's to say there wasn't someone making sure Walter had a certain dream? He told Nick the other universe would be defeated ... from a blue universe xenophobic perspective, isn't that what's now happened (sort of)?

Anyway, I thought the episode was great (the two walters sitting in the corridor was an awesome scene!) ... but I'm sure there are some surprises still in store for the two-part season (not series! WOOOOO!) finale.

rigi96013

[24]Apr 29, 2012

@cyberdjinn - I'd been thinking the exact same thing!

Surely DRJ would have known that by turning the Machine off the two universes would be separated and the earthquake plan would fail? It's also made me wonder about the device he gave to alt-Broyles to attach to the Machine. Did we ever find out what it does? I had assumed it was to destroy both universes but maybe it was just a means of disabling the Machine to separate the universes?

Either way, the next two episodes can't come quickly enough!

MaKTaiL

[25]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 5

Is the opening sequence going back to blue now? I miss it.

Lccf

[26]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 13

Am I the only one happy that the writers FINALLY, after two whole seasons, explained why Captain Lincoln Lee recognized Nick Lane back in "Over there, part 1" ? Very enjoyable attention to detail, writers !

I can't help thinking that maybe the Fringe divisions made what Jones wanted : now they can't possibily coordinate against him( in fact, I first thought that cutting the Bridge was what Colonel Broyles was sent to do in "The Consultant" ... )I guess everything rests on Olivia's abilities, now ... but even if she remembers the previous timeline, she's biologically a little different from seasons 1-3 Olivia ( cortexiphan trials seem to have ended sooner in this new timeline ) ... So, she definitely HAS abilities, we know that since "The end of all things", but do you think she can still cross over if need be ?

Oh, and whoever said maybe the menace Nick was refering to wasn't the red universe, but those fascist Observers from 2036 : my thoughts exactly.

Hungry_Homer111

[27]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 26

MikeUK123 wrote:
    3) the science is a bit questionable. We know, in this timeline, Walter still crossed over, Bolivia had crossed over, and probably some others; without using the machine. So why is turning it off now the end of all contact? It is only to end to the permanent bridge. Plus, theoritcally, Olivia can still move between universes with no equipment.

I've been thinking about this since my first post. Yes, there are other ways for them to cross over, but the machine was the only stable connection they had. The first time somebody crossed over, it caused the universes (especially the red universe) to start to fall apart. Of course, as others have mentioned, there's still Olivia's cortexiphan powers which could help them cross over in a different way than Walter and other people have used. However, we don't know if it would have the same effect as Walter's visit had (since the damage was already done by that time). After finally resolving the conflict between the two universes, and making the universes more stable, I doubt they would even risk using either of those methods again, and if they did, it could end up starting another war between the worlds, since now they know the effects that crossing over might have, unlike Walter when he first crossed over, and it would rightfully be considered an attack on their world. So, unless they turn the machine on again in the future, I don't think we'll be getting any more interactions between the two universes.

vellarod

[28]Apr 29, 2012

I think that Jones wants to clear the other universe so that the observers can go and live there . hmm . he was helping our universe all along I guess hmm

JaiCSC

[30]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 17

Anyone else thinking that there will be a time gap between the events of this episode and the finale. A few months maybe.

Lccf

[31]Apr 29, 2012

historylover20 wrote:

I loved that scene when the Walters were sitting together. I had to laugh at myself, because my first thought was "Hey! They sit identically! Look at their hand position!" Then I remembered "Oh, yeah. Same actor!" I tend to forget whenever I watch John Noble on screen. It's easy to forget that he's playing both Walters. (In fact, how many different versions of Walter has he played? He says 9, but is that right?)

I count "only" eight : Original Walter, Original Walternate, Dark Future Walter, Dark Future Walternate ( from "The day we died" ), Amber Walter, Amber Walternate, 2036 Rebel Walter, and Noir Walter ( from "Brown Betty" ).

Who'd be the ninth ? Creepy Vision Walter from "The equation" ? Animated Walter from "LSD" ? 1985 Walter could be, since he was very different from the man he became, but technically, it's the same guy ...

Very impressive anyway !

Cranky_Old_Batt

[32]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 6

I also suspect closing the bridge is not going to stop RDJ. It may have been a part of his plan. If not, I am sure he calculated it as a possibility and made contingencies for it. He's just that kind of evil genius.

That said, the bridge being closed does explain no mention of the red universe in the previous ep. And we know that the Observers aren't going to let their plans be ruined by one little native megalomaniac, so if the Fringe team doesn't stop RDJ, it doesn't mean he isn't toast.

John Noble is one of the best actors ever. I am consistently in awe of his ability to bring a character to life. The depth he gives all the different versions of Walter - the subtleties of expression, vocal inflection, timing - its all him. The writers and directors play a part, but it is the man who drives it home.

24treehills

[33]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 17

Anyone noticed the time clock going slower at the end of the episode ?

ALSCC

[34]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 5
    Cranky_Old_Batt wrote:

I also suspect closing the bridge is not going to stop RDJ. It may have been a part of his plan. If not, I am sure he calculated it as a possibility and made contingencies for it. He's just that kind of evil genius.

That said, the bridge being closed does explain no mention of the red universe in the previous ep. And we know that the Observers aren't going to let their plans be ruined by one little native megalomaniac, so if the Fringe team doesn't stop RDJ, it doesn't mean he isn't toast.

John Noble is one of the best actors ever. I am consistently in awe of his ability to bring a character to life. The depth he gives all the different versions of Walter - the subtleties of expression, vocal inflection, timing - its all him. The writers and directors play a part, but it is the man who drives it home.

Jones is like a master-chess player, always keeping one move ahead of his competition, while predicting their next one. i think (like others have said) DRJ used the cortexiphan kids to succeed where alternate-broyles failed, by forcing the two universes to sever the bridge. now the odds are more in DRJ's favour, taking on one universe is much easier than taking on two allied together.

i hope next season will be set in the future that 'letters of transit' previewed for us, the storyline has great promise. plus hopefully we can find out what william bell did to olivia.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[35]Apr 30, 2012
    ALSCC wrote:
    Cranky_Old_Batt wrote:

Jones is like a master-chess player, always keeping one move ahead of his competition, while predicting their next one. i think (like others have said) DRJ used the cortexiphan kids to succeed where alternate-broyles failed, by forcing the two universes to sever the bridge. now the odds are more in DRJ's favour, taking on one universe is much easier than taking on two allied together.

i hope next season will be set in the future that 'letters of transit' previewed for us, the storyline has great promise. plus hopefully we can find out what william bell did to olivia.

I think that possible future will happen if the Fringe Team fails to stop DRJ...

Hungry_Homer111

[37]Apr 30, 2012

I don't think we know how much Olivia crossing over affected the destruction of the universes, if at all. It could be that all of the damage done was simply caused by Walter crossing over, and the damaged simply got worse over time like a hole in fabric often does, or it could have caused it to become just that much worse as a result. But I think that because we don't actually know if it would hurt if she used her powers, they'd want to avoid doing anything that could even potentially undo the healing that the machine has done.

Also, as I said before, I can't really see them doing much more with the alternate universe right now. Of cours, I don't know what the writers have planned for the story, and they could use the alternate universe in a way that I can't foresee, but for now I think they've basically concluded that part of the story well enough. They were at war, now they're not. The universes were falling apart, but now they're not. Walternate has forgiven Walter, and Walter has forgiven himself. And of course, now that the timeline has changed, so that Peter never affected anything after his death as a kid, Henry is no longer around. So unless there's something the writers have up their sleeves to make the alternate universe important again, I think the only time we may see them again in the series is if, at the end of next season they turned the machine on again after they know things are safe from David Robert Jones and the Observers, and they use it as a kind of epilogue for those characters.

CharmedOneP391

[38]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 19

Hungry_Homer111 wrote:

Also, as I said before, I can't really see them doing much more with the alternate universe right now. Of cours, I don't know what the writers have planned for the story, and they could use the alternate universe in a way that I can't foresee, but for now I think they've basically concluded that part of the story well enough. They were at war, now they're not. The universes were falling apart, but now they're not. Walternate has forgiven Walter, and Walter has forgiven himself. And of course, now that the timeline has changed, so that Peter never affected anything after his death as a kid, Henry is no longer around. So unless there's something the writers have up their sleeves to make the alternate universe important again, I think the only time we may see them again in the series is if, at the end of next season they turned the machine on again after they know things are safe from David Robert Jones and the Observers, and they use it as a kind of epilogue for those characters.

But the reason why they were hesitant to turn the bridge off, is because the Redverse will revert to falling apart again once the bridge is severed. Fauxlivia said earlier in the season that the Redverse has started to heal ever since the Bridge was created.

I don't think Fringe will permanently remove the Redverse from the story...we're too invested in the characters in that universe for them to just be forgotten. Plus the audience will know that the other universe is there...I believe a permanent removal isn't an option. But then again this is Fringe...so who knows.

Hungry_Homer111

[40]May 1, 2012
    My theory right now is that he's actually been working for Bell, who has been working towards this for a while (doing the Cortexiphan experiments in preperation for this), and Bell is doing it in order to prevent the Observers from taking over. However, I still don't trust Jones. I believe that he may be going along with Bell's plans as long as they serve his own twisted plans, so that even if Bell's plans are for the good of the universe, Jones should be viewed as a threat and should be stopped. Of course, I could be wrong about any of that, but that's what I feel is going on right now.

historylover20

[41]May 1, 2012
    • level: 28

I actually think we're finished with the Red 'verse. Simply because story-wise, it makes sense.

Fringe needs to wrap up its story. If there's a merger of the universes, then we'll see how it happens. But, if this was the last season, this episode makes a nice farewell to a supporting universe.

The main universe and the future universe needs to be wrapped up now. 15 more episodes. While I can see them alternate between the present blue/amber and the future (presented in "Letters of Transit"), I don't see them revisiting the Red 'verse.

Now, I could be wrong. Fringe has the tendency to surprise me. I'd love to see the Red 'verse again.

Kat

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[42]May 1, 2012
    With the gateway being closed between both verses, which will probably cause much more damage to the red verse in the impending future, I think we will see more of the Red verse between now and the end of the next season. I just hope that when we do, it is not a pointless "filler" episode.

npanzer

[43]May 1, 2012
    • level: 2

Hungry_Homer111 wrote:
    My theory right now is that he's actually been working for Bell, who has been working towards this for a while (doing the Cortexiphan experiments in preperation for this), and Bell is doing it in order to prevent the Observers from taking over. However, I still don't trust Jones. I believe that he may be going along with Bell's plans as long as they serve his own twisted plans, so that even if Bell's plans are for the good of the universe, Jones should be viewed as a threat and should be stopped. Of course, I could be wrong about any of that, but that's what I feel is going on right now.

so if Bell is possibly trying to stop the observers from taking over how does he know about their plans? has bell ever traveled to the future?