Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Season 4+ News, Speculation Etc. Thread (including S5 renewal!)

CharmedOneP391

[101]Feb 2, 2012
    • level: 19

For those interested, FOX has rearranged Fringe's schedule for the last batch of episodes for Season 4.

So, 4x14 'The End of All Things' airs on February 24. Then there will be a 3 week break, and new episodes will return March 23 with episode 4x15 and run straight through until May 11, culminating with the Season Four Finale. Hoping it's not the de-facto Series Finale. I just simply can't lose Chuck and Fringe in one season.

Edited on 02/02/2012 1:59pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BarryWeen3

[102]Feb 3, 2012
    • level: 14

CharmedOneP391 wrote:

For those interested, FOX has rearranged Fringe's schedule for the last batch of episodes for Season 4.

So, 4x14 'The End of All Things' airs on February 24. Then there will be a 3 week break, and new episodes will return March 23 with episode 4x15 and run straight through until May 11, culminating with the Season Four Finale. Hoping it's not the de-facto Series Finale. I just simply can't lose Chuck and Fringe in one season.

Yeah, I read about that. FOX is doing the same thing with House. House is also taking March off like Fringe. They're doing it to give uninterrupted runs for House and Fringe till the end, as will Bones.

lazarius12

[103]Feb 13, 2012
    • level: 11

OK, that's good to hear. I was worried we would get only 14 episodes for this season rather that the 21 or so that we usually get. Glad to hear it's the latter.

BarryWeen3

[104]Feb 13, 2012
    • level: 14

lazarius12 wrote:

OK, that's good to hear. I was worried we would get only 14 episodes for this season rather that the 21 or so that we usually get. Glad to hear it's the latter.

Season 4 is suppose to be 22 episodes.

renaldsRAP

[105]Feb 14, 2012
    • level: 10

completely off topic, but has anyone other than me noticed the pattern that has thus far happened in the the quality of show?

Allow me to demonstrate:

Season One -

This is really the only season thus far that has slightly upset the pattern (get it? haha) because the first half of the season didn't have the best character development in the first few episodes, but to me the cases were really exciting and cool. Plus there was the overarching "John in Olivia's mind storyline that propelled the episodes along at a nice even pace. And the first few episodes had some great pieces of mythology in them: "The Ghost Network" gave us our first glimpse of amber. "The Arrival" introduced us to good ol' September and his fellow cue-balls we affectionately call Observers, etc. Then the season kicked into high gear with the introduction of David Robert Jones and the Fibonacci Sequence - and the pace, intensity and character development were turned up to 11. Enter the second half of the first season - which I like to think started with "The No-Brainer". The character development continued, but the pace slowed, a lot of plot threads were left dangling and aside from "Ability", "Inner-Child" and "Bad Dreams" wasn't really all that exciting or important to the overall mythology. Of course the finale "There's More Than One Of Everything" was pretty much mindblowingly awesome, but when has a Fringe finale not been anything but?

So to recap: first half of s1 = pretty damn good

second half of s1 = good, but not as consistently good as the first half

Season Two -

The first half has its moments to be sure. "Momentum Deferred" and "Gray Matter" are freaking great. The problem is there is so much filler between those episodes (I loved "August" but it was filler to be sure) it deflates the intensity. And honestly a lot of the filler eps in the first half of s2 I have no qualms skipping over ("Snakehead"? wtf?) I won't mention "Unearthed" because it's not technically part of the show - and thank whomever you pray to for that! The first half ended with "Johari Window" and it was pretty good for a standalone. But the second half started up with "What Lies Below" which to me is where this show really started realizing its full potential. Tho it and "The Bishop Revival" were technically standalone, they were incredibly deep and action-packed and INTENSE. Then from "Jacksonville" on up to the end of the season the show went above and beyond everything it had done before and culminated with our Olivia TRAPPED IN ANOTHER FREAKING UNIVERSE and Faux-livia infiltrating our side undercover.

first half of s2 = lots of potential but lacking in mythology and intensity

second half of s2 = Televised Gold (seriously the back half of s2 is STILL my favorite run of episodes)

Season Three -

The first half ratchets up the intensity, action, drama and generally awesome sci-fi up to the point that my cool-dar overloaded and blew up. Not one episode of the first half can be considered "throwaway" and it cemented the concept of "Mythalone" all the way until after "Reciprocity". Then the second half of the season starts. It was still damn good, don't get me wrong, but there was a lot of meandering plots that really made no sense (Soul Magnets, anyone?) altho they were still kinda fun. I get that the purpose of the back half was to make us hold our breath waiting to see which Olivia Peter chose, but the choice was too obvious as he had only shared a few weeks with Faux vs. 3 years with O. The only true standouts until the mindblowing 3-part-finale to me are "6B", "Subject 13" and "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide". Of course the finale does kinda put the whole season in perspective and makes even the lesser moments of the back half fun and rewatchable, but still.

first half of s3 = GREAT television.

second half of s3 = still great, but too many meandering plot filler story threads such as "Soul Magnets" ( I mean really, Fringe?)

Season Four -

To my mind it has been great so far, but the first half has been a little bit slow and there's a few episodes that just aren't up to par with this show at its best ("Alone In The World" and "Forced Perspective" jump to mind.) The back half of the season just started with "Welcome To Westfield" and now that the pieces are coming together, I predict nonstop awesome sauce till the end of the season.

Now all of the above was so my "pattern" theory (still find that ironically funny) wouldn't seem so black and white or make it seem like I was hating on my all-time fav sci-fi series because nothing could be further from the truth! I will add a ".5" to the back half of the seasons just to differentiate:

1 - GOOD

1.5 - BAD

2 - BAD

2.5 - GOOD

3 - GOOD

3.5 - BAD

4 - (I think it's pretty good - at least on par with the back half of s3 - but I can see where some fans would label it) BAD

To summarize:

If you look at that pattern, things are looking pretty good for the end of this show if the pattern continues. I can see the back half of season 4 turning into a run of episodes even better than the back half of season 2 that will chock full of mythology and Fringe-y goodness (as evidenced by the uptick in quality with "Welcome To Westfield"). If that's the last season of the show it will be sad but at least its integrity will still be in place. If it continues into a 13 episode season 5 it will be action AND mythology heavy which will be even better and thus further etched into our minds as the greatest sci-fi series of all time

Final Theory:

4.5 - GOOD

5(?) - GOOD or even possibly THE BEST

so don't give up on the show just yet, my fellow Fringe-ians, as the best is yet to come!

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[106]Feb 15, 2012
    • level: 13
    renaldsRAP wrote:

completely off topic, but has anyone other than me noticed the pattern that has thus far happened in the the quality of show?

Allow me to demonstrate:

Season One -

This is really the only season thus far that has slightly upset the pattern (get it? haha) because the first half of the season didn't have the best character development in the first few episodes, but to me the cases were really exciting and cool. Plus there was the overarching "John in Olivia's mind storyline that propelled the episodes along at a nice even pace. And the first few episodes had some great pieces of mythology in them: "The Ghost Network" gave us our first glimpse of amber. "The Arrival" introduced us to good ol' September and his fellow cue-balls we affectionately call Observers, etc. Then the season kicked into high gear with the introduction of David Robert Jones and the Fibonacci Sequence - and the pace, intensity and character development were turned up to 11. Enter the second half of the first season - which I like to think started with "The No-Brainer". The character development continued, but the pace slowed, a lot of plot threads were left dangling and aside from "Ability", "Inner-Child" and "Bad Dreams" wasn't really all that exciting or important to the overall mythology. Of course the finale "There's More Than One Of Everything" was pretty much mindblowingly awesome, but when has a Fringe finale not been anything but?

So to recap: first half of s1 = pretty damn good

second half of s1 = good, but not as consistently good as the first half

Season Two -

The first half has its moments to be sure. "Momentum Deferred" and "Gray Matter" are freaking great. The problem is there is so much filler between those episodes (I loved "August" but it was filler to be sure) it deflates the intensity. And honestly a lot of the filler eps in the first half of s2 I have no qualms skipping over ("Snakehead"? wtf?) I won't mention "Unearthed" because it's not technically part of the show - and thank whomever you pray to for that! The first half ended with "Johari Window" and it was pretty good for a standalone. But the second half started up with "What Lies Below" which to me is where this show really started realizing its full potential. Tho it and "The Bishop Revival" were technically standalone, they were incredibly deep and action-packed and INTENSE. Then from "Jacksonville" on up to the end of the season the show went above and beyond everything it had done before and culminated with our Olivia TRAPPED IN ANOTHER FREAKING UNIVERSE and Faux-livia infiltrating our side undercover.

first half of s2 = lots of potential but lacking in mythology and intensity

second half of s2 = Televised Gold (seriously the back half of s2 is STILL my favorite run of episodes)

Season Three -

The first half ratchets up the intensity, action, drama and generally awesome sci-fi up to the point that my cool-dar overloaded and blew up. Not one episode of the first half can be considered "throwaway" and it cemented the concept of "Mythalone" all the way until after "Reciprocity". Then the second half of the season starts. It was still damn good, don't get me wrong, but there was a lot of meandering plots that really made no sense (Soul Magnets, anyone?) altho they were still kinda fun. I get that the purpose of the back half was to make us hold our breath waiting to see which Olivia Peter chose, but the choice was too obvious as he had only shared a few weeks with Faux vs. 3 years with O. The only true standouts until the mindblowing 3-part-finale to me are "6B", "Subject 13" and "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide". Of course the finale does kinda put the whole season in perspective and makes even the lesser moments of the back half fun and rewatchable, but still.

first half of s3 = GREAT television.

second half of s3 = still great, but too many meandering plot filler story threads such as "Soul Magnets" ( I mean really, Fringe?)

Season Four -

To my mind it has been great so far, but the first half has been a little bit slow and there's a few episodes that just aren't up to par with this show at its best ("Alone In The World" and "Forced Perspective" jump to mind.) The back half of the season just started with "Welcome To Westfield" and now that the pieces are coming together, I predict nonstop awesome sauce till the end of the season.

Now all of the above was so my "pattern" theory (still find that ironically funny) wouldn't seem so black and white or make it seem like I was hating on my all-time fav sci-fi series because nothing could be further from the truth! I will add a ".5" to the back half of the seasons just to differentiate:

1 - GOOD

1.5 - BAD

2 - BAD

2.5 - GOOD

3 - GOOD

3.5 - BAD

4 - (I think it's pretty good - at least on par with the back half of s3 - but I can see where some fans would label it) BAD

To summarize:

If you look at that pattern, things are looking pretty good for the end of this show if the pattern continues. I can see the back half of season 4 turning into a run of episodes even better than the back half of season 2 that will chock full of mythology and Fringe-y goodness (as evidenced by the uptick in quality with "Welcome To Westfield"). If that's the last season of the show it will be sad but at least its integrity will still be in place. If it continues into a 13 episode season 5 it will be action AND mythology heavy which will be even better and thus further etched into our minds as the greatest sci-fi series of all time

Final Theory:

4.5 - GOOD

5(?) - GOOD or even possibly THE BEST

so don't give up on the show just yet, my fellow Fringe-ians, as the best is yet to come!

Nice job!

CharmedOneP391

[107]Feb 15, 2012

I know the whole "Soul Magnets" thing really turned off a lot of people, but to me it was Fringe's way of poking at the afterlife without going to deep in, just anacquiredtaste. I don't think there's necessarily been a run of "bad" episodes of Fringe, because even Fringe at it's worst, is better than 75% of all other shows on network TV, agreed?

Now..for the best: Fringe Teaser for 4x14 'The End of All Things' ANSWERS ARE COMING FEB 24. Pause at 0:22 to see OBSERVE and September hooked up to Walter's...something.

historylover20

[108]Feb 15, 2012
    • level: 28

Completely agree that a "bad" episode of Fringe is still better than 75% of anything else on TV!

I really don't think that episode will anwer all of our questions. We'll get some answers about the Observers, but I'm betting for every question answered, there will be 10 more questions come up.

Kat

ionee24

[109]Feb 16, 2012
    • level: 32
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:

Now..for the best: Fringe Teaser for 4x14 'The End of All Things' ANSWERS ARE COMING FEB 24. Pause at 0:22 to see OBSERVE and September hooked up to Walter's...something.

I just want to know what are the Observerse other than Time.

Everything else its a plus.

tvfreakazoid

[110]Feb 22, 2012
    • level: 8

I'm super glad that this show is still on and fox is keeping it alive. Not to many good sci fi shows on as of now. Let's hope this will stick around for a while.

Lccf

[111]Feb 25, 2012

I was wondering about RDJ and Nina's agenda ... could William Bell be pulling their strings ? I know, I know, Leonard Nimoy said he didn't want to act any more, but I trust the writers to have a fringey way to have Bell back if necessary. Cartoon, shapeshifted, makeup, whatever So, with that in mind, the Bell we know always has moved in a grey area. Could "amber" Bell be full-blown villain, and the one behind Jones' and "Nina"'s plan ? Think about it. If Peter's death in 1985 changed Walter, it could have changed Bell as well. Walter claimed Bell was the one more willing to push some limits, and, with Walter completely destroyed by Peter's loss, maybe Bell was on his own, and became a genuine mad scientist ( whereas in the original timeline, Walter's presence, in a sense, could have kept him in check ). In the original timeline, we know he funded ZFT, that might be true in this timeline as well ... but imagine they never had a fall-out. Imagine Bell is STILL behind Jones' actions. After all, both Jones and Nina have ties to Bell. We know Jones needed the amphilicite in Nina's arm to open the portal to the red side. But we have no evidence he shot Nina and stole her battery in the new timeline. As a matter of fact, if someone had shot Olivia's surrogate mother, she would have hunted the guy to the ends of the earth ... and it's a fact that she never met Jones in the new timeline before last episode. So, not only did the Fringe team never go to Reiden lake ( we've known that for quite some time ), but the attempt on Nina's life never happened.Jonesmust have acquired the ways to cross-over otherwise ... through Bell, maybe ? Oh, and I don't remember anyone saying Bell is dead, since the timeline changed. You could think it would be at least mentioned. It's as if the writers deliberately try to avoid that plot point. One more clue : as far as we know, Nina's role is unchanged : she runs the show, but doesn't own Massive Dynamic. But if Bell's dead, and Walter ( obviously ) doesn't own MD, who does ??? The more I think about it, the more I think Bell's alive. And he's the man behind the curtain.

CharmedOneP391

[112]Feb 25, 2012

Not that anything matters until an official announcement from FOX but apparently..

A 15 episode Final Season is currently in talks.

I know it's not 22 but hey...it's even more than 13. It would also mean less filler and Fringe's Final Season could just blast into overdrive without taking a step back. I hope this comes to fruition.

historylover20

[113]Feb 26, 2012
    • level: 28

Plus, unless my math is really awful (possibly. I'm not that good with doing math in my head), a 15-episode final season will get Fringe up to the magic 100 episode for syndication.

Season 1--20 episodes

Season 2--23 episodes

Season 3--22 episodes

Season 4--22 episodes (?)

That's 87 episodes. If we get 15 episodes (please, oh please), that will put the total to 102 episodes.

Kat

CharmedOneP391

[114]Feb 26, 2012

Yeaa thing is, if it is canceled this year..since you can split the Pilot into two hour-long episodes at the end of this season that'll be 88 episodes. Which is now the magical number needed for syndication. I'd love another 13-15 episodes for a 5th Season...but I dont think it makes the difference between syndication deals, although I dont think it'd hurt Fringe's chances of ending up rerunning on a cable network. It all depends on if WB thinks it's profitable for them to keep it on the air. FOX too..but the ball is in Warner Bros. court on this one.

Dec1964

[115]Mar 24, 2012
    • level: 35

This is just out there, i'm watching episode SO4E015 right now.

They said there were 8 episode's left, so we do get 22 episode's of Fringe..

Dec1964

[116]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 35

There Will Be A Season 5 Of FRINGE.

CharmedOneP391

[117]Mar 25, 2012

I think the reason why I'm okay with some of the first 3 seasons' cases being retconned is because they are bringing in things from those seasons that were never explained or never explored upon (David Robert Jones' ultimate plan that we never learned because Peter Split him in half, The Beacons, the beast creature from next week) and deepening the stories we've already seen told, while still moving the characters and overall plot forward. I've never seen this done so well in any show before. I hope the writers get a chance to continue their work if FOX decides to pull the plug. The most recent episode pulling a .09 18-49 rating is definitely not a good sign.

Edited on 03/25/2012 10:26pm
    Edited 3 total times.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[118]Mar 26, 2012
    Dec1964 wrote:

There Will Be A Season 5 Of FRINGE.

Uhura? Go back to your post in communications...That's an order!

CharmedOneP391

[119]Apr 4, 2012

The 2-Part Season Finale is titled 'Endgame'.

Sounds so epic...Laughing

..Yet so FinalCry

e11wJjhm

[120]Apr 4, 2012
    • level: 2

Upcoming episodes 19-22 all sound epic.

Letters of Transit Episode 19 4/20/12

In the year 2036, the Fringe team takes on the Observers in a war that will change everything.

Worlds Apart Episode 20 4/27/12

Endgame (1) Episode 21 5/4/12

Endgame (2) Episode 22 5/11/12

and yes it does look like this the final season of Fringe