Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Season 5 News, Speculation Etc. Thread (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 12, 2012
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general news, spoilers, speculation, etc. for season 5 here.

Basically, if it's about stuff that hasn't aired yet, and there isn't an episode discussion thread, it goes here.

Thanks!
    Edited on 05/12/2012 6:03am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lccf

[2]May 12, 2012
    • level: 13

Until september, let's start a game, shall we ? Let's call it "5 things i want from season 5" Here are mine :

- September as a regular cast member

"They're coming", and he can't stay on the sidelines any more. Now that we've lost Lincoln, there's a spot available in Fringe Division !

- ( at least ) one Nina / Bell scene

He's still out there, she's the new leader of the Fringe Division, they've got a lot of history, and we've never seen them talk on screen ( "Brown Betty" doesn't count, Bell was a cartoon ). It NEEDS to happen.

- Simon de-ambered

Bring back Henry Ian Cusick !

- a new credit sequence

I don't care if the timeline / universe / date hasn't changed, I want a new intro !

- a rainbow Over There

Do I need to say more ?

What do you think about that ? And what is your wish list ?

JaiCSC

[3]May 13, 2012
    • level: 17

Some of my predictions.

1: Series 5 will pick up in 2014/2015.

The way things have gone. There's very little reason to pick up immediately after Brave New World. Right now there is noimmediatethreat or a threat that requires the devotion that we've seen from them in every episode. The Observers arrive in 2015. There maybe a few early invaders but as stated in Letters of Transit, despite some resistance it's a walkover. There's William Bell, yeah he's lost this round but he won'tretaliatein a recklessfashion, heis a genius and apatientman.He also has to account for Walter. Who heunderestimatedin his current state and it still just as smart as him. He'll bide his time and try to gain from the observers. Pregnancy and maternity leave would restrict Olivia's active duty. There's only Walter, Peter and Astrid. It would be cool to see that team up but that's the team along with Etta in 2036.I think the S5 opener will focus on the invasion across maybe two episodes then the story will resume elsewhere. Either in Red or the Future.

2: Fauxlivia will be the prominent Olivia, if at all.

I don't think Fringe will take place in the present day. If it does it won't be for long. As far as we know Olivia is not present in 2036. Best assumption, from dialogue from Walter in 4x19, is that William Bell possibly killed Olivia soany return in the 2036 could be unlikely or be later on. So that only leaves Fauxlivia for Anna Torv to have a role in every episode.

BUT I haven't seen anything that said that the main cast will be in every episode. This is something that I often see when it comes to a final series. Main cast members may not be there for every episode in an effort to cut the costs of an episode. Given how much Fringe costs and all the trouble to get it one last series that might have been one of the deals. The main cast members might not be in all the episodes.

3: The man from 3x19 who Olivia said would kill her will truly turn out to beWilliam Bell .

Someone in the episode topics (I think) stated that the man wasn't actually hidden deep within Olivia's mind but was instead locked deep within William Bell's. Because it was a shared consciousness at that point the knowledge of what he issomehow crossed into Olivia. In the original timeline William Bell knew what Olivia was capable of and could formulate infinite possibilities with her and repressed darker aspects.That man was a darker and more sinister version of William Bell. Probably a lot like the one we see in series 4 who did suppress these aspects. In series 4 Olivia was his main tool for his plan and she would die as a result. When Olivia gained knowledge of him in 3x19 she didn't know all the details but knew that a lot of his actions would end up killing her.

4: Etta will reunite with Olivia in 2036

Honestly I am keeping my fingers crossed that September helped her out and moved her to a different time/place until the time is right so that in the end she will survive all of this. Or so that, at the very least, Etta will be reunited with Olivia even if it is brief. Whenever a story like this is done, long lost parents or children or weird time travel when someone meets their parent. About 4 times out of 5 when the relationship between mother and child takes the focus THAT is the more interesting story and the more intriguing relationship. Sorry Peter.

5: A September devoted episode.

6: The Return of Simon (Henry Ian Cusick).

7: The Return of Thomas Jerome Newton.

8: The Walter we know and love, not Bastard Walter who has come back in Letters of Transit.

9: A Happy Ending for Clark Kent Lincoln even if it is with Fauxlivia... who I don't hate right now.

Lccf

[4]May 14, 2012

JaiCSC wrote:

Some of my predictions.

1: Series 5 will pick up in 2014/2015.

The way things have gone. There's very little reason to pick up immediately after Brave New World. Right now there is noimmediatethreat or a threat that requires the devotion that we've seen from them in every episode. The Observers arrive in 2015. There maybe a few early invaders but as stated in Letters of Transit, despite some resistance it's a walkover. There's William Bell, yeah he's lost this round but he won'tretaliatein a recklessfashion, heis a genius and apatientman.He also has to account for Walter. Who heunderestimatedin his current state and it still just as smart as him. He'll bide his time and try to gain from the observers. Pregnancy and maternity leave would restrict Olivia's active duty. There's only Walter, Peter and Astrid. It would be cool to see that team up but that's the team along with Etta in 2036.I think the S5 opener will focus on the invasion across maybe two episodes then the story will resume elsewhere. Either in Red or the Future.

2: Fauxlivia will be the prominent Olivia, if at all.

I don't think Fringe will take place in the present day. If it does it won't be for long. As far as we know Olivia is not present in 2036. Best assumption, from dialogue from Walter in 4x19, is that William Bell possibly killed Olivia soany return in the 2036 could be unlikely or be later on. So that only leaves Fauxlivia for Anna Torv to have a role in every episode.

BUT I haven't seen anything that said that the main cast will be in every episode. This is something that I often see when it comes to a final series. Main cast members may not be there for every episode in an effort to cut the costs of an episode. Given how much Fringe costs and all the trouble to get it one last series that might have been one of the deals. The main cast members might not be in all the episodes.

3: The man from 3x19 who Olivia said would kill her will truly turn out to beWilliam Bell .

Someone in the episode topics (I think) stated that the man wasn't actually hidden deep within Olivia's mind but was instead locked deep within William Bell's. Because it was a shared consciousness at that point the knowledge of what he issomehow crossed into Olivia. In the original timeline William Bell knew what Olivia was capable of and could formulate infinite possibilities with her and repressed darker aspects.That man was a darker and more sinister version of William Bell. Probably a lot like the one we see in series 4 who did suppress these aspects. In series 4 Olivia was his main tool for his plan and she would die as a result. When Olivia gained knowledge of him in 3x19 she didn't know all the details but knew that a lot of his actions would end up killing her.

4: Etta will reunite with Olivia in 2036

Honestly I am keeping my fingers crossed that September helped her out and moved her to a different time/place until the time is right so that in the end she will survive all of this. Or so that, at the very least, Etta will be reunited with Olivia even if it is brief. Whenever a story like this is done, long lost parents or children or weird time travel when someone meets their parent. About 4 times out of 5 when the relationship between mother and child takes the focus THAT is the more interesting story and the more intriguing relationship. Sorry Peter.

5: A September devoted episode.

6: The Return of Simon (Henry Ian Cusick).

7: The Return of Thomas Jerome Newton.

8: The Walter we know and love, not Bastard Walter who has come back in Letters of Transit.

9: A Happy Ending for Clark Kent Lincoln even if it is with Fauxlivia... who I don't hate right now.

Actually, your first point makes a lot of sense. I can totally see that happen - which would be an excuse to have, as I'm waiting for, a new credit sequence. An I agree that Etta needs to meet Olivia ! As for "Man X", the writers have already stated that he was Bell somehow, since "X" is his brand, as seen on the nanites. The only thing I can't see happening is Fauxlivia becoming the "prime" Olivia : so far, we have no guarantee we'll ever see the Red side ever again, and if we do ( which I think we will ), it probably will quite late, probably not before the finale.

Glad to see your points 5, 6, and somehow 9, are the same as some of my wishes.

Newton ... I don't know, wouldn't he be badly outdated right now ? Maybe bring him back as a hero ? THAT would be a nice twist, and more Sebastian Roché couldn't hurt !

I agree with you, Badass Walter isn't likable, and possibly dangerous. I can totally see him becoming the main villain towards the end ( as in, ready to kill billions to defeat the Observers, for instance ). Let's hope Peter, Astrid and Etta can keep him in check, or the brain grow thing doesn't fully hold, leaving him in "our Walter's current state.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[5]May 14, 2012
    My Predictions are that in Season 5:

1) The universe and timeline that was shown in "Letters of Transit" will turn out to be another universe and timeline..not our Peter's universe and timeline. It will be the universe that the (evil) Observers came from that September was referring to when he said, "They are coming" at the end of the Season Finale. 2) Olivia will have a boy (Henry) not a girl (Henrietta) that will have cortexian related powers to rival that of the (evil) Observers. This son will have Peter's intellect with Olivia's abilities and will play a significant part in winning the war against the (evil) Observers.

3) Olivia will not be killed off in Season 5.

4) It will be discovered that William Bell has been working with the (evil) Observers from the beginning (Season 1).

CharmedOneP391

[6]May 14, 2012
    • level: 19

I can't wait for (What one can only hope) 'Letters of Transit, Part 2'

or maybe even flashforwards in some episodes. I can see Season 5 getting very Lost on us, in terms of showing us what's going on during the present (or whatever year 5x01 starts off in) and then also showing us scenes from the future to close out the events from LOT.

If you're interested, here's a really cool interview with the producers about the finale and what season 5 holds in store for us.

If I'm interpreting that interview right (specifically the question about Olivia's pregnancy) I think there's going to be a time jump. Which I think is a good idea...specifically to 2015 when The Purge occurs.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[7]May 15, 2012
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:

I can't wait for (What one can only hope) 'Letters of Transit, Part 2'

or maybe even flashforwards in some episodes. I can see Season 5 getting very Lost on us, in terms of showing us what's going on during the present (or whatever year 5x01 starts off in) and then also showing us scenes from the future to close out the events from LOT.

If you're interested, here's a really cool interview with the producers about the finale and what season 5 holds in store for us.

If I'm interpreting that interview right (specifically the question about Olivia's pregnancy) I think there's going to be a time jump. Which I think is a good idea...specifically to 2015 when The Purge occurs.

There are two unfinished story arcs that I think may be lost due to the focus in season 5 on the upcoming war. One, is the Shapeshifters. They exist on both universes and their agenda, how to stop them and etc. have yet to be decided. Would like to see that tied up in Season 5. The second is the fate of the Red Universe. We know that by turning off the machine, the repair to that universe will stop. However, we do not know what they will do to try to continue the repairs, deal with Shapeshifters, or even if the (evil) Observers will be in their universe. Would like to see that tied up in Season 5 also.

BarryWeen3

[8]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 14

FOX announces fall premiere dates. Fringe will premiere Friday September 28 @ 9PM PST/EST.

BarryWeen3

[9]Jun 19, 2012

From TVLine.com,

Major Season 5 spoilers, especially about the possible time jump. See Season 5 Preview

I like what I'm hearing in these spoilers.

Title of the Season 5 opener. See What the frak does that title mean?

And What the frak does that title mean is not the title of the episode, just to clarify...

Edited on 06/19/2012 6:56pm

CharmedOneP391

[10]Jun 20, 2012

Jeff Pinkner, co-showrunner of the show since season 1 has left the show before it's Final Season.

He says he wants to focus on new projects. I wonder in my head if there was a little tiff about how to end the show.

BarryWeen3

[11]Jun 20, 2012

Maybe, or since he knew they were ending, perhaps he already had something lined up already.

historylover20

[12]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 28

Season 5 trailer:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/15/fringe-final-season-trailer/

Cool!

Kat

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[13]Jul 16, 2012
    After seeing the latest trailer from Season Five of Fringe, I am left with more questions concerning the Observers. It has already been established that the Observers can move through time almost at will and that they can see all possible outcomes of any given event. If this is the case, and given that season 5 will take place in the blue universe, shouldn't the Observers already know in 2012 that in 2036 they are going to take over the world? Shouldn't they be able to go into the future to see that the Fringe team will be the ones that are trying to stop them? Shouldn't they have went to that point in our future to see what their fate would be and do what they can to change it if it ends badly for them?

lost

[14]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 4

5 things I want in season 5:

1. Bring back the bridge between the two universes (happy ending to Lincoln and Fauxlivia)

2. Have flashforwards or start in 2015/2036

3. September becomes a main character

4. Bring back Etta and Simon

5. Answer all the questions and resolve basically everything - have a great finale!

Edited on 07/16/2012 7:54pm

lost

[15]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 4

Anna Torv said in an interview they will start the season in 2036:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/anna-torv-final-season-fringe-349282

CharmedOneP391

[16]Jul 17, 2012

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    After seeing the latest trailer from Season Five of Fringe, I am left with more questions concerning the Observers. It has already been established that the Observers can move through time almost at will and that they can see all possible outcomes of any given event. If this is the case, and given that season 5 will take place in the blue universe, shouldn't the Observers already know in 2012 that in 2036 they are going to take over the world? Shouldn't they be able to go into the future to see that the Fringe team will be the ones that are trying to stop them? Shouldn't they have went to that point in our future to see what their fate would be and do what they can to change it if it ends badly for them?

I see what you're saying, but the key here is Henrietta, who as you know can put up some sort of mental wall and can't be read by them. After 20 years of never worrying about the Fringe Team, because apparently The Observers believed them to be dead.

And I'm not sure if the 2036 Observers go back in time as a hobby still or if they just stay put, but as we've seen in 'BNW 2' is that sometimes when we see the observers and they say something to us, it hasn't happened for them yet so they couldn't have possibly thought of that future outcome. But it is all very confusing and I may just be trying to rationalize a plothole?

I'm asuming a lot of your questions will be brought up in the premiere, based on the title of the episode, 'Transilience Thought Unifier Model 11' definitely sounds like some of The Observers' tech.

Edited on 07/17/2012 8:23am

telytubie

[17]Jul 18, 2012
    • level: 3

CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    I'm asuming a lot of your questions will be brought up in the premiere, based on the title of the episode, 'Transilience Thought Unifier Model 11' definitely sounds like some of The Observers' tech.

If I understand Jasika Nicole's interview at SDCC correctly, that machine is the projection Walter's looking at in 2036. Sounds like the premiere will be about finding Olivia who's the only one who knows the machine whereabout.

September has said before that even though they can see countless possible futures, they can't tell which one will come to pass. they can only see the result after the fact. That's why its imperative for them to just *observe* and stay put. Look at the trouble it got them when September messed up. When your existance lies in the FUTURE, it's a bad idea to mess with the PAST that gives way to that future. You might accidently wipe out your own existance

I agree that Etta's the key to opening the pandora box. It seems that not even Broyles and Nina knew what happened to the Fringe team, and Etta's able to shield her thoughts while she secretly kept looking for them, hence keeping them hidden from the observers.... and now that they're out, let the cat and mouse game begin

Edited on 07/18/2012 6:18am

historylover20

[18]Jul 18, 2012
    • level: 28

This is VERY spoiler-y. Read at your own risk (it's kind of awesome, though) :

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/07/fringe-season-5-five-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-final-13-episodes.html

Kat

CharmedOneP391

[19]Jul 18, 2012

historylover20 wrote:

This is VERY spoiler-y. Read at your own risk (it's kind of awesome, though) :

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/07/fringe-season-5-five-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-final-13-episodes.html

Kat

WOW. really? I'm upset.

Please Highlight to read: (HIGHLIGHT AT YOUR OWN RISK)

But maybe that could be the idea of a feature film? I cant believe the Final Season will be the only one not to have at least one scene in the Alternate Universe

But maybe that could be the idea of a feature film? I cant believe the Final Season will be the only one not to have at least one scene in the Alternate#2 actually kind of bothers me. I wanted just ONE more episode in the Redverse to really send off the characters for us. I loved 'Worlds Apart', but it'd be nice for the Team to return Over There so we could see what happened to those characters 20 years later.

But maybe that could be the idea of a feature film? I cant believe the Final Season will be the only one not to have at least one scene in the Alternate Universe

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[20]Jul 18, 2012
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

I see what you're saying, but the key here is Henrietta, who as you know can put up some sort of mental wall and can't be read by them. After 20 years of never worrying about the Fringe Team, because apparently The Observers believed them to be dead.

And I'm not sure if the 2036 Observers go back in time as a hobby still or if they just stay put, but as we've seen in 'BNW 2' is that sometimes when we see the observers and they say something to us, it hasn't happened for them yet so they couldn't have possibly thought of that future outcome. But it is all very confusing and I may just be trying to rationalize a plothole?

Agreed! To say the Observers can see all possible outcomes/futures but don't see their own involvement is a contradiction. Yes, it is very confusing...

Also, the Observers are always jumping through time. They are from the 27th century originally and events that happened in 2036 is their past. It already happened. They can jump from 2036 to 2037 or 2038 to see what the state of affair is at that time then make changes to suit their needs and keep doing that until they get the desired result.