Fringe Forums

FOX (ended 2013)

Season 5 News, Speculation Etc. Thread (possible spoilers)

BarryWeen3

[42]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 14

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    I am so curious on how they plan to explain the difference between the Observers 0f 2012 including September and the other Observers from the 27th century. Also, how they will explain how the Observers of the 27th Century went back in time but don't know what happened to their plans in the 22nd century which should have already been a part of their history. Also, explain how if Observers can travel thru time, how can Team Bishop do anything without they already knowing what will happen??? All they would need to do is to travel let's say 6 months in their present future to find out what had occurred.

Seven words of wisdom I've always found useful...

When Time Travel Is Involved...Forget Logic

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[43]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 13
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    I am so curious on how they plan to explain the difference between the Observers 0f 2012 including September and the other Observers from the 27th century. Also, how they will explain how the Observers of the 27th Century went back in time but don't know what happened to their plans in the 22nd century which should have already been a part of their history. Also, explain how if Observers can travel thru time, how can Team Bishop do anything without they already knowing what will happen??? All they would need to do is to travel let's say 6 months in their present future to find out what had occurred.

Seven words of my own wisdom to respond to the above-mentioned words of wisdom:

"Quality shows do not defy basic logic"

KasenStuff

[44]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 5
    I wonder where official discussion thread for season 5 episode 1 is? I can't find it. Because I'm really curious if this is what season 5 is going to do. Is it officially going to be 2036 for Fringe, or is the first episode just a one off?

BarryWeen3

[45]Oct 3, 2012

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

Seven words of my own wisdom to respond to the above-mentioned words of wisdom: "Quality shows do not defy basic logic"

That may be true but once time travel is involved, quality show or not, logic tends to go out the window more often than not.

BarryWeen3

[46]Oct 3, 2012

KasenStuff wrote:
    I wonder where official discussion thread for season 5 episode 1 is? I can't find it. Because I'm really curious if this is what season 5 is going to do. Is it officially going to be 2036 for Fringe, or is the first episode just a one off?

There isn't one posted because of the changes to the website that took place 9/20 where there are now specific episode discussion streams with each episode, see the note that the Moderator posted and pinned in this forum. Some forums still have episode discussion threads within the forums and so there are two places to discuss the episode, but I don't think all forums are doing that.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[47]Oct 5, 2012
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

Seven words of my own wisdom to respond to the above-mentioned words of wisdom: "Quality shows do not defy basic logic"

That may be true but once time travel is involved, quality show or not, logic tends to go out the window more often than not.

That may be true but once the logic goes out the door on a show that is known for keeping basic logic for the most part, it can make a classic show turn into a bust.

BarryWeen3

[48]Oct 6, 2012

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:

That may be true but once the logic goes out the door on a show that is known for keeping basic logic for the most part, it can make a classic show turn into a bust.

It also tends to make one's head hurt in the process also.

There is a comic book series called Planetary (very good by the way) that in the last issue of the series dealt with time travel, time machines, and alternate universesand explained itall in a way that made sense and at the same time was paradoxical if one logically looked at it.

My point being is that, yes I agree with you that one would like basic logic in a quality sci-fi show like Fringe.

But if you use logic with time travel then logically the future observers should have already know about the resistance posed by the Fringe team and taken care of it, but if they had taken care of it, then there shouldn't have been any resistance to their takeover. But if the Observers could predict everything, it would make for a very boring 5th season...

But to each his own, I'm still enjoying the show, hope you are too...

Oh, another side note, DC Comics (which published the Planetary comic book I mentioned earlier) also just released (last month?) Beyond the Fringe, the 3rd Fringe comic book series that ties into the show, the 1st one was entitled Fringe, the 2nd I believe was Tales from the Fringe. Besides the Joshua Jackson penned story about the Machine,the3rd collectionalso includes a bunch of interesting What If? stories.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[50]Oct 8, 2012
    MikeUK123 wrote:

Someone help me here...........................

Nothing is being even remotely mentioned about Olivia's powers demonstrated near the end of season 4 (stopping the bullets, being the reason Bell could create a new universe, helping Peter on the rooftop).

As someone pointed out to me, she may have used up all the cortexiphan in her when Walter shot her........ but surely in the face of such a devastating enemy, you'd still look into it.....

I'm not entirely convinced such a big reset (no more of Olivia's powers, no more alt universe, no more Peter / Olivia, no more badass Walter) is such a good idea, but Fringe is Fringe, and I know I'll love it anyway.

Whether or not the Cortexiphan in her was used up, that is something that should have been mentioned or spoken on in the show as a possible weapon to use against the Observers. Unless there is no more Cortexiphan and it cant be manufactured, they should have been looking into that possiblibilty.

JoshuaFraim

[51]Oct 10, 2012
    • level: 5

me and my friend came up with a theory on september's motives back when peter was saved twice (once by walter with the cure and again by september from the frozen lake).

i believe that the observers all along wanted to take control of the past but with peter alive as an adult they couldn't do it for some reason. they could see other possibilities. so they sent september back in time and prevent walternate from discovering a cure. for some reason september decides to save peter, either he changes his mind or he didn't know the real reason why the observers wanted peter dead. the observers continue to watch looking for another opportunity to bring their alternate future into play. somehow in the end they find a way to get peter to paradox himself out of existence and now they have their alternate past where they are able to invade and take over the past.

iiicollies

[52]Oct 16, 2012
    • level: 1

Has anyone considered whether there might be two factions of Observers, one that organized the invasion occurring in our time and was launched from the 2600's and the other being a dissident group from their future (let's say 2700) who know what happened and is trying to forestall the invasion. This is the group that had Observers at every pivotal historic event as advance scouts so as to watch every moment of the past to get early warning of the invasion.

mattgus

[53]Oct 16, 2012
    interesting JoshuaFraim all of the fringe story was about the "other"universe,and yes the observers....but i don't see an explination of why or what the motiveis ,was... to take over why?...also in order to understand the story we need to know something about the observers,but we don't even know how they live,interact,what is important to them,why anything is a motive for them...power,$,love...what? did i miss something simple??? i think your idea is a great one. i'm not sure the writers were thinking that far ahead...? i would like to understand them better,but it doesn't look like there is going to be time...maybe i'm thinking to much about things that don't matter,but good stories help the "audience" to have a feel for the "bad guys"...

CharmedOneP391

[54]Oct 19, 2012
    • level: 19

I'm on board with the theory that there are two Observer "factions" as you will, or perhaps Observers who think differently towards humans (their ancestors). Mainly September and August, and maybe the other members of their science team, who we all saw together in 'The Day We Died'. Walter told Etta and Simon in LOT that there were some good Observers, and that September even tried to help them, and something unfortunate happened to him. I am also on board with the theory that September was actually emotionally invested in seeing Walternate discover the cure for Peter because of him (September) actually stemming from the Bishop(and Dunham?) bloodline.

All we know about The Observers so far is that they are one (of many) possible futures for humanity, they can see the past, future and present at the same time, they can see all possible outcomes of a situation but do not know which will come to pass, their tech allows them to read human minds, they can penetrate barriers of any kind in the brain and perform "wipes". They finally destroyed the planet in 2609 AD and then came back through time and took the planet from us by mass murdering many in an event called "The Purge" in 2015. The rule the world in 2036 and are actively searching for the Original Fringe Team that's recently been released from amber.

I really don't know what to expect from the rest of the season, although I'm going to make an assumption that episodes 4, 7, 9 (which is acting as episode 19 for this season in terms of breaking the status-quo) and hopefully the 3-Part Series Finale will be one for the story books.

If I had to guess what the end would be right now, I would probably go with the timeline being rewritten once more, with the Observers never coming into existence, so September will never disrupt Walternate from finding the cure for Peter, but maybe Olivia is still tested with Cortexiphan and still crosses over maybe she meets Peter then instead of telling Walternate about her stepfather hitting her she tells Peter, and maybe something plays out to where they'll still be together. Sort of Fringe's final way to press the reset button. But this will probably be too confusing and make the show seem like it was all for not, even though all the seasons had to happen in order to defeat the Observers. I'm probably grasping at strings here...and don't even know if I would like this ending. Because...I don't want this masterpiece of a mind-f**k to end.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[55]Oct 22, 2012
    iiicollies wrote:

Has anyone considered whether there might be two factions of Observers, one that organized the invasion occurring in our time and was launched from the 2600's and the other being a dissident group from their future (let's say 2700) who know what happened and is trying to forestall the invasion. This is the group that had Observers at every pivotal historic event as advance scouts so as to watch every moment of the past to get early warning of the invasion.

Shouldn't the show have clarified this by now??? Up until now, it has been very confusing. All it would have taken was a one liner by September.

klaudyuxxx

[56]Oct 27, 2012
    • level: 1

Yes! Henrietta, died in episode 4, so I guess everything will get back to normal soon, and Fringe action will continue to be in present day, as it was until season 4. I wonder what's happening in Other Side, in 2036... Are they also invaded by Observers? If not, they might get some help from there.

Edited on 10/27/2012 11:16am

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[58]Oct 28, 2012
    klaudyuxxx wrote:

Yes! Henrietta, died in episode 4, so I guess everything will get back to normal soon, and Fringe action will continue to be in present day, as it was until season 4. I wonder what's happening in Other Side, in 2036... Are they also invaded by Observers? If not, they might get some help from there.

This brings up a point I brought up on a previous thread. September said that Peter's son Henry was born to the wrong Olivia. He also stated that having this child with the wrong Olivia cause irreparable damage to the future. With Peter being erased from his timeline then reinserted back into it, somehow, the damage was corrected and Peter had a child with the correct Olivia which is their daughter Henrietta. If this is the correct future and timeline that September had spoken about and the same timeline we saw in Letters Of Transit, what major significance could Henrietta have now in regards to the future now that she is dead??? A martyr? Just doesn't seem to match back to what September had said.

soynador

[59]Oct 28, 2012
    • level: 3

So I'm not the only one who's had these thoughts! Honestly I'm hopeful for a reset of sorts... say a story resembling this:

they team up with the other side... Peter and Olivia go back in time to Septemberatthe end of season 4, Etta is a safe and sound, un-born child and Peter and Olivia (having full knowledge of the future plans of the observers) work to stop them the second they attack. Like how Peter changed what happened with "the machine" and re-wrote history… or let's say September returns "home" with a device that devolves the observers… preserving all they have done to that present moment when he goes through but stopping them from time traveling again. Maybe THAT is the plan September has laid out all along… maybeHOW and WHEN they "go back to"... was too.

so perhaps September's planis the genocide of his own people for the greater good of a worthy (though considered inferior) species. And the show ends with Peter and Olivia in the park with 3 year old Etta playing. Everyone is safe... knowing…THAT threat is gone forever… and the future… was a wonderful un-known.

Don'tlaugh at me!!!Tongue out thats just how i would do it if it were me writing FRINGE.

Edited on 10/28/2012 10:25pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Prisoner_6

[60]Oct 29, 2012
    • level: 3

I'm waiting to see that September is actually Peter's son, Henry. Now how twisted would that be: all five years of Fringe happened because September went back in time to check out his world's version of Ancestry.com, and in the process distracted Walternate so that he didn't see the formula that would of saved Peter's life. Everything he has done has been to correct his error - Olivia, Peter, Walter and all the others - were simply collateral damage in his attempt to correct the history he disrupted.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[61]Oct 31, 2012
    Prisoner_6 wrote:

I'm waiting to see that September is actually Peter's son, Henry. Now how twisted would that be: all five years of Fringe happened because September went back in time to check out his world's version of Ancestry.com, and in the process distracted Walternate so that he didn't see the formula that would of saved Peter's life. Everything he has done has been to correct his error - Olivia, Peter, Walter and all the others - were simply collateral damage in his attempt to correct the history he disrupted.

That's not twisted at all...In fact, I think that would be brilliant! I actually stated this in another thread and added that if he is not Peter's son, he is probably somehow related and is actually a Bishop. Also, codenames like September were necessary so that when Observers travelled back into time, and for some reason found it necessary to directly interract with people, their ancestors would not be able to identify them by name. This would also explain why September went back into time to witness Walter's scientific achievement... of all incidents to see since he had some sort of family/quasi-emotional investment into it.