Fringe

Fracture

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 01, 2009 on FOX

• Fracture

The first was very good. The second was very bad. We exaggerate and thus create these two poles, these two brothers who gave the tone for this season. The third is then expected response. The certainty that the balance hung on one side or the other.

While there have been slight improvements, this was more a case "turns the hard and plays the same." Almost could do a copy / paste from my earlier critique, changing only the names and locations. It's hopeless. We have their hands tied and we can only spit out questions like this: even when we have to put up cases of the week, besides not having mystery, do not provide any new data to the main plot, still seem repetitions of old cases? And so we come to a policeman that crystallizes and explodes in the middle of a train station. Really? People to explode? They can not invent anything else?

We soon realized that there is a colonel to send his former soldiers to certain death. The history goes back to military experiments and for such a project "Tin-Man." The trip to Iraq brought some freshness in terms of environments, but the intrigue of a vaccine that goes wrong is already more than tired. Exhausted. Thus, they were welded to cure in the form of a curse and become true human pumps.

Used to fight the enemy in the words of a mad colonel. Or one man are not known. It is certain that he was using these people to eliminate foreign messengers that carry strange folders. He then tells Broyles (Lance Reddick) there is a war, they are already here, they are looking at our weaknesses and when we realize it's too late. After this, we see The Observer to open one of these folders and pick up photos of Walter (John Noble). And here comes a node with two questions (and a slight headache): first, Broyles has already hinted that he knows more than us all and that, along with Nina Sharp (Blair Brown), will have a very broad view of this conflict . But here in this dialogue, it seemed that he knew nothing or was not noticing anything. Anyway? Secondly, when I took The Observer as a neutral character, a sort of Switzerland and noted that only means, not an integral part of the opposing faction, we want to study and evil. And for what Walter see pictures of the two if they already know? So, what are we?

In addition, the new character is still not appear. Which makes sense, since it is a new character. It is an addition to the cast, does not appear immediately. On the other hand, Dr. House Olivia (Anna Torv) can tie the laces and walk normally. Is recovered and possibly ready to remember the long-awaited meeting.

We're more than ready, more than ready to move forward and get out of here!
  • Moving Forward

This was another great episode I'm liking season 2 more than season 1. I like the great team work that is involve, seems like their getting more stuff done that way getting to the bigger fish. Now we know a little about the observer and what him and his kind are doing. At the end he opens a brief case to find pictures of Walter, wonder whats that all about. I love the story and it was exciting to see them rush to stop the bombings, true to traditions in this show there is always something more than whats going on and we found out.
  • A solid core mythology episode initially disguised as an independent plotline

After the break of the previous episode we get back to the core mythology with this one, following many threads simultaneously. Olivia experiencing the effects of what looks more and more like a subsequent transformation, regaining her memory in painful fragments (the scene with the sudden flashbacks while she was heading for the toilet was simply masterful, I totally loved it). Peter assuming a more active part, adding much needed depth to his character. While in the first episode he contributes to saving the Fringe division, as well as Olivia's life, in this episode we get to see the full effect of his experience in the division. He has turned from a seemingly callous, cold-hearted person taking care of his own interests alone, to someone who values human life, human relationships and is able to devote himself to a cause, stepping up to defend it with his life if needed. He understands his father more, wishes to establish a father-son communication with him and he is now in Fringe not as Walter's babysitter or someone who stands to gain something, but as an equal and valuable partner. That is a pleasant change in Peter's character and I'm glad to finally see his potential taken advantage of. Peter's emancipation in the team has been partly triggered by Olivia's temporary weakness, which was also a wise addition to her character. She is dynamic, strong, intelligent and devoted and I love all those things about her, but in the final episodes of Season 1 so many things had happened to her that would've shaken the foundations of anyone's logic, and she didn't seem to present some kind of long-lasting reaction. That has been fixed and with good sense. Now we can identify with the characters and observe their interaction without worrying that at times they might appear somewhat unrealistic. In regard to the case, I liked the opposition between Iraq and the US. A terrorist operation which is usually presented as something originating from the Arabs, is the product of a US paramilitary group. The Arabs not only bear no responsibility for it, but they actually aid Olivia and Peter to discover the real culprit. That said, our initial loathing for the action and hostility towards its mastermind is dissolved at the end of the episode, when the case is revealed to be part of the "bigger picture". What seemed like mindless terrorism at first is now a desperate attempt to ensure the survival of our universe. Does the end really justify the means? Fringe continues to pose that question to us. Obviously Walter plays a key part in the collision between the two worlds, and we are left with many questions as to the how, where and why. All in all a very exciting, well made episode, that keeps me wondering for the next one.
  • Olivia learns that her lackadaisical version of "Yoda" may indeed hold the secret to her regaining some real sense of normalcy. And Peter emphatically declares that he has grown tired of seeing his father naked.

....And we learn that there's more to Astrid besides looking cute while cleaning up what must be one of the filthiest and smelliest laboratories on the planet. C'mon, people – we're talking cow excrement and dead bodies! Definitely, not the place where I'd even think about eating a cheeseburger!

After last season's finely executed season cliff-hanger, I was looking forward to fully immersing myself into a second season of the not-so-alternative television universe known as Fringe. I was even starting to really forgive the lack of substantial eye-candy and the complete void of any romantic/sexual tension between ANY of the characters-and the blatant similarities to the X-Files. After all, Fringe, I suspected was trying to introduce its audience to a fantastic world that would take us on a weekly journey that would leave all of us in a permanent state of wonderment. Well, so much for that idea.

I am disappointed. And I suspect Fringe's loyal fan base is starting to fracture. No longer do I face strong push back regarding my criticisms of the show from those in my office who at one time argued that Fringe was the most amazing television series ever conceived. Well, folks, the bloom is definitely off the rose.

The writers were trying to cover way too much material in this particular episode while completely ignoring the richness of all the plot elements that have long since been introduced. For example, wouldn't it be a great idea to explore how Charlie's wife is now responding to her husband now that he's been subsumed by aliens; and what's going on with Olivia and her sister now that Olivia is experiencing bionic hearing, etc.? I mean, their relationship was once so important that she took a call from her sister while en route to a federal raid. And didn't it just ring a little more than stupid and unlikely that Olivia's accompaniment of Peter into some sort of men-only Baghdad bar/saloon did not cause a major problem? And wasn't it just a little too convenient that Olivia just happened to look beneath the sink in the bathroom and find a clue vital to this episode's entire plot? I have to confess that this episode is a difficult one for me to review because so much of what took place mattered very little. I mean, how much longer can the writers get away with teasing about some huge oncoming threat when monsters are already eating people in the street, folks are exploding in the street, and let's not forget the woman who was eating people she met on the street? The so-called war is already underway, so why not cut to the chase, quit with the lazy and sloppy storytelling and start showing us what J.J. Abrams set out to do in the first place. Me thinks J.J. may have too much on his plate; and like every overworked parent will soon learn (and usually too late via the hard way), that it's always the children who end up suffering.

Peace Out.
  • Peter, Olivia, and Walter race against time to investigate the bombing of a train station. Walter discovers something unusual about the human remains.

Another show of mine doing very well! Fringe continues to do a good job pushing the mystery and keeping me on the edge. I'm truly perplexed as to what is taking place in the Fringe world and I hope it continues!

Of course good acting on all ends; I tell you John Noble does such an outstanding job getting into his character and truly getting you to feel what he feels in each scenario! The plot of course was great and the ending just had me begging for more. The pace is going smoothly..not too much too fast but just enough to keep you pondering!

I'm glad to see this new show in its sophomore season do so well. I believe this is a keeper and will continue to outdo the rehash shows popping up all over network tv.
  • Loved it!

After a good opener, a dull second episode, Fringe has dismissed the slightest amount of pessimism I had. I mean, I couldn't ask for more. It wasn't a perfect episode, but still it did manage to sustain my interest all though the 45 odd minutes.

Olivia's parallel universe mystery is touched upon again, with her memory returning back in intermittent flashes. The end scene was a little weird, though it does beat me. What the hell just happened?, how did she get physically better? Why is the bowling dude so creepy?

The case of an exploding man was brilliantly done, though the basic idea was ripped off Heroes season 1 finale. The dramatic buildup was intense, and my eyelids blink rate almost went to zero. My only regret is the Iraq story; as in the story was good - but it was weird to see Anna Torv in a veil, speaking Arabic and stuff.

Good episode!
  • Finally Fringe regains its strength from the last episodes of Season 1. (No spoilers)

The first two episodes of this season were (apart from the opening scene) just disappointing. Especially episode 2 gave me the fear that Fringe would continue with its lame monster-of-the-week episodes - but this episode finally felt right. The case itself was interesting, and the mystery was developed further. I really do beg the writers to quit that pointless monster-of-the-week crap and focus on mythology episodes. The mythology of the series - the war of the universes is interesting and really keeps me tuning in - episodes like "Night of desirable objects" remind me of a bad clone of The X-Files. And I don't really need that.
  • Project Tin Man is an abandoned project that is starting to harm Americans without warning.

Cool episode. This show really is a cut above the rest. No over the top nonsense. They take an idea, present a mystery, shady characters, and all the lingo behind government secret, and present an entertaining show.

This episode "Fracture" was the typical Fringe episode. Sure many of their episodes deal with classified secrets, paranoia, and abuse of power, but they make interesting enough that you'll watch the whole show till the end.

So we get a glimpse of what the episode is about. People are blowing up themselves and killing a lot of people. However, it's not by their own will. Somebody is behind it. What is their reason behind it we don't know.

This time around though it's Americans who are the human bomb and not the standard stereotype of Middle Eastern doing it.

Hell the Middle Eastern come to help in the end of the episode.

This was a nice mystery filled episode.
  • A shattering defense

After a bit of a step backwards in the previous episode, the writers get back on track with this tense installment with more connection to the overall mythology. Much of that is left to the last few moments, like many of the first season episodes, but there are plenty of scenes throughout the hour devoted to the progression of the season arc.

The development of organic suicide bombers is particularly chilling, because it speaks to a certain amount of desperation. Not that it hasn't been clear in the past that the situation is dire, given the activities of ZFT and perhaps Massive Dynamic, but here we have a military leader (however bent) who has decided that the best option is to weaponize humanity itself. This is something that is done when other options seem likely to fail.

There is now the implication that the Observers are agents of this other universe Alt-Fringe, however similar it might look to Fringe Prime. I seem to recall hints and allegations during the first season that Alt-Fringe was a universe that had fallen into ruin through the misuse of technology. The denizens of Alt-Fringe certainly seemed to be less healthy on the whole, but it didn't seem like they were all variations on the Observer theme.

Instead, it could be that the Observers have been altered to allow them to cross over into Fringe Prime without the side effects that have affected Walter and Olivia (and whoever else has crossed over without certain precautions). This would fit the picture as it has recently formed, and would still explain some of the differences in biology.

The question seems to be this: was Alt-Fringe always a universe where technological advancement outstripped ethical concerns, or was the course of that world's progress changed by the interference of Bishop and Bell? The fact that the Observers are monitoring Walter could simply be that he is an important part of Fringe Prime's development of a defense, but it could also be tied into his past activities.

Speaking of past activities, this episode managed to shed a little light on Peter's time in Iraq, which was always mentioned earlier in the series but never quite explored. It was good to get a glimpse of that side of him, and to be reminded that he's capable of being more than just sarcastic comic relief. As the conflicts begin to heat up, that capability to survive in hostile situations will be important.

A lot of time was spent on Olivia's road to recovery, which was a nice touch. I particularly liked the end, when she was goaded into letting go of her cane. I'm certain that there is more to this process than meets the eye, especially sine Nina Sharp was the one behind it all. Did she do that of her own accord, or did she get orders from William Bell?

All in all, this was a good solid episode with a compelling set of plot threads and good amount of character development. The hint of larger implications at the end gave it just the right final flourish. This is the kind of baseline episode that they should be shooting for each and every week.
  • Another mystery of an episode that ignores some main issues brought up in episodes past. Not a bad episode by itself, but just not what I was hoping to see. Warning, spoilers contained below.

A human bomb to start the episode, pretty scary idea seeing as it can't be detected by normal means. I wonder who the guy who told the police officer to go and get that briefcase is. Things get interesting when we learn who the guy is, and we start unravelling the mystery. I am still more curious though about Olivia's memories, I really want to see more, we did get a peak at some of them, but just a peak. One thing that has been sort of ignored has been Charlie, he still is a fake, and no one has figured it out. I wonder when we will see him again. The end of this episode brings us a bunch more suspense and questions! Damn, that's exactly what I didn't want! Well on the bright side, if they explain a bunch of things in an episode soon, that will make it an amazing episode most likely. I just don't like when they show something, and then ignore it the next episode. I really wonder who that bald observer guy is now, seems like he is part of something bad.
  • Another week, another bog standard episode of The X Files Lite.

Another week, another bog standard episode of The X Files Lite. This edition's 'curiosity' is distinctly weak: we are treated to a wafer thin story about a one-dimensional ex-army general who has a bit of a grudge against the Observers, harnessing the powers acquired by a select few of his former officers when under experimental treatment in order to blow up the parcels being sent between the bald-headed ones... which, of course, kills his compatriots in the process. This all just feels far too familiar. We've figured out exactly who is behind what by the end of the first act, so the rest of the episode just feels like water treading, stumbling around watching the crackpot Fringe division dodge the answers completely. Peter's miraculous contacts are proving to be a bit of a nusiance too; how many times is he going to 'know someone who can help.... ILLEGALLY'?!

Olivia's sub-plot with the crazy bowling alley dude also seems to drag on and on... "oh sensei, teach me to remember Spock!" Euck. I give Fringe til episode ten to get to the point when Dunham remembers every last detail and then another ten hours to actually return to the parallel universe... by which point, it'll be the end of the season again and we can start the cycle over. At least 'Fracture' begins to join the dots with the Observer and his kind, but the notion that they are in some way 'against' us poor humans is made out to be a big revelation when in fact, it feels like anything but. This notion has crossed the viewer's mind many a time before... we knew there was at least something odd about him anyway. So, again, this is a passable episode but it feels like we've seen most of it before. Surprise us Fringe, go on! You know you want to.
  • Plot was a little thin, but we learn a little bit about the characters.

Compared to last week's episode, this week was much mroe tense and exciting. I still think that with all of the major plotlines hanging out in the wind and just waiting to be fleshed out, the minor plot details, like the cases that Olivia and the FBI have to figure out, are a little less exciting. The coloniel using people to blow up train stations are part of a military experiment was intriguing, but when they're dangling the possibility of Olivia discovering things about the parallel universe in front of us, the case seemed a little lackluster.

That being said, the episode moved at a slow pace, but built up very well. By the end, there was no telling whether or not the bomb would go off or not. Knowing Fringe's capability of shocking us with plot developments, it wouldn't be out of the realm of imagination to see the bomb go off. I also liked how the writers paid attention to the characters, even if it was just a little bit. There's still a lot we don't know about Peter from his days in Iraq and same with Walter, who has a whole mysterious past waiting to be discovered. And as for the ending, with The Observer returning, we can only assume mysterious things are going to happen.

It appears next week will have Olivia attempting to remember about her time in the parallel universe, which means we ought to be getting some answers.. hopefully not too many though. I like a show that finds a balance between giving answers and posing questions.
  • Another lackluster episode.

Cool special effects, not cool rest of the episode.

Fringe has a bad habit of churning out some really, really boring episodes from time to time where even Walter and Peter's hilarious banter cannot save the show. This was one of those times.

Why did they need to go to Iraq? What did Iraq have to do with this? Why wouldn't they send more security to the train station? Why wouldn't they just shoot the dude? Way too many plotholes and unanswered questions in tonight's Fringe for me to be happy with it.

JJ Abrams, you can do much, much better than this.
  • How to stop an exploding man.

As the Bishops keep on looking for an apartment and Olivia keeps trying to retrieve her memories, a cop explodes trying to intercept a mysterious briefcase, Fringe division is able to link this to an old military program gone wrong and conclude that the explosions are the side effect someone is taking advantage of in order to pervent the briefcases to reach its destination.

The FBI manage to size two of the three survivors while Peter & Olivia follow the third one in order to capture the rogue agent that's been using former comrades as unknowing time-bombs. As the episode ends, we find out the very information he was trying to intercept was a dossier about Peter and Walter Bishop, perhaps making Fringe division the enabler of its own destruction further down the road.