Fringe

In Absentia

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 05, 2012 on FOX

• In Absentia

This episode more than made up for a so-so premiere. You had a case that questioned morals, loyalty and how to proceed in the year 2036. You had a really intense confrontation with the loyalist, and you had a rare sight on TV where violence actually was lauded instead of ridiculed.
  • A morally complex and deeply moving episode!

A morally complex and deeply moving episode!

The relationship with the loyalist taken prisoner alone is worth the price of admission.

The development of Etta's story is even more amazing.
  • Don't know. Still good but something's missing...

After watching two episodes from the fifth season I see "Fringe" in a different perspective. It is hard to say if it is good or bad but for sure it is different. This feeling of looking for the Observers somehow made me more interested. This time I don't see the point in looking for them because they are everywhere. Nonetheless I am missing something and I hope that this "thing" will be soon discovered. Otherwise I will admit that they jumped the shark with the fourth season finale. Looking forward to be wrong.
  • 5x02 "In Absentia"

I just love it when Fringe goes all dramatic and asks questions about morality. This episode was a good example of that. Now that we have a line to follow (recovering the tapes), I think it's time to just shut up and watch Fringe end with a bang.
  • "this is war, and we're losing"

This was a really, really dark episode. It blurred some moral lines so much I really believed Walter would cut the guy's eye ( as we were supposed to believe ).

Until now, I wasn't really sold on Etta, but now I am. She displayed a darker edge, and has now a clear character arc in front of her : she has, thanks to her family, to conquer her humanity back. The child we've already seen twice is gone ( I'm beginning to think her disappearance is a metaphor for her lost innocence ), but maybe Peter and Olivia can soften her ( great acting from Anna Torv this week ). This should be interesting to watch.

Fringe has always been good at humanizing the "other side", as we've seen with seasons 3 and 4, and they're doing it again with the Loyalists here. If you thought there was black and white, think again. It doesn't harm that the actor who played the Loyalist was quite good.

Poor Simon ! I had hoped to see him again, alive and well ! Alas ! At least it provided us with some classic Fringe madness ( once upon a time, a blinking severed head would have closed the episode's cold open ... )

So, like last episode, not much really happened ( the "deamber this, deamber that" is getting old fast ), but it was a good episode anyway. Now let's hunt these tapes !!!