Fringe

Marionette

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Dec 09, 2010 on FOX

• facts & feelings

Quite a gruesome episode, but a good one! The case reminded me a bit of . Hoffman's "Sandmann"...

I'm glad Peter told Olivia rightaway, having him pondering about it for the next couple of episodes would've been straining; the situation is as bad as it is (and Olivia has to get out of that apartment immediately!). What a dilemma telling from the facts, you can't blame him, but one be able to tell?
  • Marionette

It's funny this episode to have the number you have. And why? You ask. Because after the knot untied narrative that moves around the mill, was at the time whether we were still ahead or if we came back. It was time to take the proof of 9.

The swap was undone. Our Olivia (Anna Torv) has returned home and the other did the same. The balance was then reset, everything in its place. And "Fringe" so their faces major test of the season: what to do now? What direction to take? If the questions are many (and troubling) was not all this "Marionette" that stopped the soothed or clarified. To be honest this was an episode that divided me altogether. And I usually only be one.

On the one hand the case of the week was boring, the other had a scene more disturbing, bizarre and terrifying the whole series. The story was already an old man's reinvent Frankenstein, where a disturbed man tries to bring the dead to their passion. For that steals all his organs were donated and rebuilt it, piece by piece, until his heart beating again. Concretely speaking, summed up in this, without mystery or any other serious matter. And only this is much less than what is used in the series this season. But halfway through this trip and just slightly exciting, is that dark ballet. My goodness lady, now master of horror, love and any other pain. Macabre winner. Hand movements, the lifeless body of the puppet that contrasts with the lightness of the music, everything. It is certainly a moment that will go down in history in the history of the series.

Then, on the one hand we no longer have the factor "fish out of water", which is as if to say "Olivia out of the box," we had a fabulous and consistent final speech. She returned, and everything seems fine. All amorna, because there are no double games and lies. Everything has to unfold as if it were a grief right: returns and has to face those particular problems, there is no escape. But this monotony can so boldly lead us in the thought of Olivia slowly cooking your hurt inside, not even stand it anymore. The case of the week crosses so very intelligently, with the main narrative and the protagonist can not assume that. Can not go back to Peter (Joshua Jackson), can not see how he did not notice. Complex and difficult to justify, so easy to understand. Love is like that.

Thus "Marionette" is an episode which in one way or another brand. Even without announcing future guidelines can leave us a strange signing.

The Best: The Ballet.

The worst: It was the weakest episode so far.
  • Knew this would happen

Great episode about a man that was stealing organs from people that got them donated to them. Pretty grossed out episode but I liked it. Ofcourse Peter and Olivia relationship is in the back burner, because Peter having a relationship with Bolivia and thought it was Olivia. Shes angry that Bolivia took everything so now doen't want to be with Peter. I knew this was going to happen when I saw the finale of season 2 when it comes to Peter and Olivia relationship its pretty predicable I think Fringe lack in that department. Most series start romances and relationships late in the series and tons of flirting throughout the series. My guess is that they don't want it to take up time of the main material of the show, nothing wrong with it. But, this show can be a little less predicable when it comes to character development, in Lost you could never predict that show that was the joy in it even though sometimes the answers weren't there. That was left for us. Lost made you think. I want this show to do that, it getting there though. Just more work on character development make the emotions believable to the audience.
  • Brilliant, creepy and very, very sad ...

This episode was plain amazing! Of course I'm interested in the cases to be solved, but usually the relationship issues going on apart from that are more important for me. This time though, IMHO the story revolving around the case and the story between the main characters were equally intriguing. The story about a man harvesting organs to revive a young girl who had commited suicide led to maybe the creepiest scene ever on Fringe. The way he let her move as a ballerina was incredibly spooky and the fact that this scene was so very aestetic and in a way had so much beauty to it, made it that even more. After having seen so many episodes of Fringe, I couldn't say, that I'd remember too many single moments very clearly, but I'm sure, that I won't forget that one easily. Who ever comes up with moments like that on a tv show must be just brilliant and who ever translated it into these amazing pictures, a pure artist. This part of the story was incredibly sad already and I couldn't help myself but feeling pity for this guy who in his twisted mind (even though for selfish reasons as well, because he couldn't let go of the girl) had thought to do something good (which right now, as I read, what I had just written, reminds me a bit of Walter). The most heartbreaking part of this episode for me though was, how things evolved between Olivia and Peter. They're both victims of things gone terribly wrong and something very important has been stolen from them. Poor Olivia! After she had been held captive in the Alteruniverse, being treated like a guinea pig, deprived of much of her humanity, the only thing that had helped her to find her true self again, had been her love for Peter. That love helped her to find her way back to her own world where she had to face the truth, that her alter ego had lived her life unrecognized by the people dearest to her for such a long time, soiling the things most important. I do understand, that she did react the way she did and that she is hurt, that Peter hadn't noticed that it had been Bolivia, he had had a relationship with for such a long time and most of all maybe had found something in Bolivia he hadn't found in her. Which brings me to Peter. I actually think that deep inside, he had been suspicious all the way, but then again so very happy about his relationship with who he was eager to believe to be (a maybe changed) Olivia, that he wouldn't give in to this feeling. I think that he might be the one who has lost the most. Not only doesn't he belong anywhere, not to the universe he was born at and not to the universe he has lived in for most of his life. He has been disappointed or maybe even betrayed by so many people, his own (biological) father, Bolivia who has stolen what was supposed to be Olivia's and his and finally, Walter who had been lying to him about his origin for so many years and now Olivia -- the reason for him to come back to "Our"universe -- doesn't want to be with him anymore. So much heartache makes it even more difficult to go on a hiatus until January, 21. Can't wait to have Fringe back and to see how things are going to develop.

• *** Spoiler-free *** Enigmatic and horrific story, Peter and Olivia awkward reunion, brilliant intertwined writing, touching performances, Waltercimore

Surgical and disturbing. Two words to describe the aftermath of Entrada. The last time I felt so uncomfortable was after watching Dexter season 5 premiere, My Bad. The "Dexland" scene was just incredibly shocking and smart. Dark humor at its finest. Revealing what Marionette is about would definitely spoil its intrigue. Indeed until the very end you shouldn't know what the vilain of the week is up to. An other episodic investigation ? Yes and even if the script is actually based on a well known story there were plenty of things to appeal the audience. First there was something quite enigmatic about what was going on. In fact we almost discovered the facts with the characters involved. Second some scenes were shocking and disgusting but as often Walter still managed to make us smile with his twisted humor and unconventional methods. Third and not least the writers focused on Peter and Olivia. Now she's back they had to deal with what happened between him and Fauxlivia. Anna Torv's performance was conflicted and emotional. I still believe she could have done a better job but the apartment scene was almost heartbreaking. Moreover her interaction with Peter finally gave Joshua Jackson the opportunity to play out of his comfort zone. But the strongest pro was by the far the brilliant way their own story was connected to the episodic one. Many subtle references linked both arcs and unmasked the cerebral mechanics behind our beloved puppets. I also remember a touching scene between Olivia and her boss, Philip Broyles. Lance Reddick's performance was bold, as always, and after what happened in Entrada he should grow on you even more. As expected the end was the inevitable cliffhanger before the winter break but after all what happened in nine episodes I can't see anyone who could be disappointed by the outcome so far. From its chaotic machine to its characters the show has a lot to offer and if the upcoming episodes are as good as most of the ones we have seen so far then it's going to be one hell of a season !
  • My favorite actress Anna Torv shines as my favorite TV character, Special Agent Olivia Dunham. And Peter is lucky Olivia didn't smack him.

"She was quicker with a smile. She was less intense." Hoo boy, does Peter Bishop need relationship lessons. Peter of the 180+ IQ can't figure out how to break it to Olivia that he was sexing her look-alike impostor while she was trapped in the parallel universe having her brain amputated. So he goes with the total 100% brutal truth. No, Peter, that dress does not make Olivia look fat! I mean, he had to tell her the truth but he could have been diplomatic--as in not dumb. How about, "She looked hot, but there was something missing. She didn't have that magnetic intensity I always loved about you, Olivia. I was just blinded by her, I mean your incredible beauty." Anything would be better than 'she was less intense.'

After Peter mucks up his true confession, it's time for my girl Anna Torv to shine. First Olivia tries to cope by being rational. But her feelings over Peter's betrayal--yes, betrayal--build up inside her bit by bit. While the Special Agent remains focused on her mission, we can see her anger ramping up to volcanic levels. Peter is lucky 'intense' Olivia didn't haul off and serve him a Magnum Surprise. But the highly professional Special Agent would never do that.

I love Agent Dunham's intensity. Parallel Olivia is just an elite foot soldier, brilliant, yes, but clueless and insignificant in the grand scheme. Our Olivia takes responsibility for the fate of both universes. No wonder she's intense. No wonder she's furious that Peter prefers the watered-down impostor. Fact is, the smiling, relatively lightweight fake Olivia seduced him. (I mean lightweight only in comparison; fake Olivia was a high-level elite Fringe agent, but a minor player compared to our Olivia, and without Olivia's cortexivan enhancements, probably no mental match for Peter Bishop the genius, which he likes, being a male pig.) Peter only fell for fake Olivia's phony act because he wishes Olivia smiled more like the cheap imitation.

No, I like my Olivia straight with no chaser. And for fake Olivia's sake, she better hope she never crosses paths with the Special Agent again.
  • completely filling my LOST cravings.

there's a lot of character development the subtle acting by Olivia when she gets to the day-to-day habits of life and finds that Bolivia has touched everything at her path, including Peter. From Peter consumed with the aftermath of his "affair" with Bolivia and how he can lose the love of his life. and Walter with his amazing comic timing precision psychosis. looking for the solving of Olivia-Peter's relationship. this is proof that we need intelligently written drama that doesnt dumb-down the viewers intelligence but rather expands its thought-provoking concept. this is just another cherry in the long list of amazing things this show has accomplish. when would it be the time when this show gets its critical recognition as well as its due when it comes to awards for its thematics!
  • didn't care for this one

4.5
    i didn't care for this one. it seems like a poopy episode to keep viewers hanging until january. the episode before would've been a much better closer to the first half of the season. it seemed to me to be a lot more gorey and less interesting. the idea was to have a frankenstein-like monster and the biologist playing G-d, what with the steampunk marionette setup, but it just didn't work right and the only interesting part ended up being olivia's breakdown about peter getting some alternate booty, which wasn't really all that interesting. this is probably one of the first (although i don't remember *ALL* of the episodes) that i wish i had skipped.
  • 12/9

How very Fringe this season. They had a good episode last time so you know that tonight's episode is going to be a massive disappointment. For a second I thought I was watching Grey's Anatomy or something with the way Olivia was whining about her relationship with Peter. I thought this was supposed to be a science fiction show? Big disappointment.

Fringe, I do not know what happened to you. There was no suspense here as you knew what was going to happen, there was no drama, there just was really nothing good about this show on this Thursday evening.
  • Great Series - I hope they don't dwell on the "You Didn't Love Me Enough Not To Fall For My Evil Twin" melodrama.

This is a fun series with real multi-faceted characters instead of the monotonic flat characters we get so often is sci-fi. Good quality effects. Good plotting and not afraid to kill off characters to advance the plot.

I'm tired of predictable TV. I think lots of us are. And the thing is that the trick to maintaining suspense is actually trivially simple. Create situations in your plot that really can go in multiple directions and then challenge yourself by taking it away from your shows "comfort zone". And if you still get somewhere that smells too predictable, throw in a random car-accident, mugging, vomiting drunk, one-legged sado-masochistic car-jacking cross-dresser, anything. Fringe is good but it could go further.

Regarding this episode, I like the main thread but the Olivia-Peter interaction left me cold.

I breathed a sigh of relief when Olivia let Peter off the hook about sleeping with her Evil Twin and admitted that the same could have happened to her if her twin's "boyfriend" hadn't been out of town.

Very mature. And true. And fair-minded.

But alas, she was just repressing her true emotions and I watched with horror her gut-wrenchingly slow realization that she did in fact blame him - after all he should have seen something was missing in the Evil twin's eyes. This from the emotionally unavailable, intimacy avoiding, tough as nails, Olivia is just a little ridiculous.

After all, the demented professor could see that his Frankenstein monster's glaring, terror-filled, reimplanted eyes weren't quite right. Why couldn't Peter see that the genetically identical trained Spy was not who she claimed to be - just by looking into her eyes. Perhaps the fact that she looked back should have alerted him that this was not his sexually repressed Olivia.

If you ask me, Peter should skip back to the other world and go out with their Olivia. She may be a cold-blooded killer, but at least she doesn't have a Cinderella complex.
  • case engaging, acting superb and concludes leaving you wanting more

Well first it has to be said, this episode takes a darker, more emotional tone than previous episodes this season. however this isn't necessarily a bad thing, the case was engaging and an original take on Frankenstein's monster, the acting was superb as usual especially Anna Torv and the conclusion leaving you wanting more. the pace has definitely been slowed down for this episode, to deal with the aftermath of entrada. because of this the episode is mainly about Olivia and peter working together again in the field. the layout of the episode mirrors those in season 2 pre-Jacksonville where the fringe team over here investigate scientific anomalies. however because of recent events despite the return to old ways doesn't make it any less engaging. all does not feel well, and after peter drops the false Olivia bomb on her the duos dynamic feels strained. this makes the ending (where Olivia tells peter she cant stand to be around him any more) all the more justified. not a perfect episode though, while i liked the case i couldn't help thinking about Frankenstein, and the whole marionette thing is really disturbing and could happily go my whole life without seeing that again.
  • Olivia is back on this side and ready to go to work and solve a series of murders involving removing body parts but her personal life has just taken a dump when Peter tells her of his affair with her impostor as Oliva was fighting to return to him.

Good story lines. The team has a case with a series of murders where body parts are harvested. The parts are removed from previous donor reciprocates in an attempt to bring a young girl back to life from which they were taken. Entwined is the underlining story of the relationship of Olivia and Peter. Knowing he was her inspiration for fighting and making every effort to return to his side, he has to tell her of his affair with her Impostor. She is able to help solve the murders but when the murderer tells her that he knew the attempt to revive the young girl wasn't going to work was when he looked into the young girls eyes and she was not the girl he had known. Olivia believes that Peter should have known that the Impostor was not her by the changes he saw. They now will have to deal with a strained relationship that has developed between them.
  • Nothing ever will be the same?

When I first started watching Fringe during its first season, I fell in love with the Olivia/Walter/Peter dynamic. Walter was bumbling, brilliant, a little bit mad and unpredictable. Peter was wisecracking, cynical and conflicted. Olivia was driven, haunted and kick-ass. Like the X-Files, there was a "monster of the week" while a back-story began to build. This is the dynamic that I as a viewer became comfortable with. Over time, that dynamic deepened and then the mythos of the alternate universe came into play. At the start of season three, things were shaken up immensely with the switching of Olivia and BOlivia. For a few episodes, we had to get used to a "new kind of normal" while wishing that things would go back to the way they were. I saw this sentiment in many reviews I've read online.

For me, this episode held a deeper message than just a fellow trying to "correct a mistake" by bringing a girl who committed suicide back to life. The dancing scene was creepy, disturbing and reminded me of what I love best about Fringe: the writers' creativity doesn't seem to be inhibited! It was dark, sad and beautiful in a creepifying sort of way. Roland's politeness, the guy with no eyes... beautifully done!

We saw the original trio of Peter/Olivia/Walter reunited and once again solving a "monster of the week case". I delighted in seeing everything seem to come back together again, much like Roland delighted in restoring the body of the girl piece by piece. Walter made inappropriate comments, Peter made sarcastic remarks and Olivia seemed to be back in full fighting form. Things are now as they should be... right?

When Roland completed his task and revived the girl, he looked into the eyes and saw that she was not the same. (That wheezing sound she makes while breathing just adds to the creepy picture of what happens when one messes with life and death to such a degree.) When Roland told Olivia this, she came to a realization that Peter should have noticed that BOlivia was not the same and she tells him. Throughout the episode, that tough facade begins to crumble and we see just how much of Olivia's life has been invaded.

Is there a deeper message? Does this entire episode, monster of the week and all, remind us that that old dynamic we fell in love with over the past 2.5 seasons might never be the same since its reanimation? Is this episode before the break a way of making us feel what the characters might be feeling? If so, it's ingenious and exactly what I've come to expect from the Fringe writers. Bravo! It also begs the question: Does a strawberry milkshake really make everything better? Looking forward to the next episode, Firefly, in January!
  • Is anyone going to point at the huge pink elephant in the room? Nup? Ok then I will. This is science fiction right? Can we please keep the first word in mind?

3.5
    Do I love the cast? Absolutely! Are the writers doing a good job with provoking the audience emotion? oh yeah all the way! This episode was, as we suspected, about Olivia being in our world, the pace was different, it was more like season two, like we have come back to the Fringe world as we knew it as well but everything was different because although we had the same familiar things we were well aware of the last events permanent effect on everything and even though we (just like Olivia) were trying to ignore it and put it all behind every now and then something would remind us of it, like a reflection of tattoo in mirror. Beautifully managed tension between Peter and Olivia, totally consistent with their character, combined with the absolute well performance of Anna Troy. Authentic feeling and reactions of a woman who feels betrayed and violated. The case was meant to give Olivia a chance to confront her feelings and her personal life problems through her work. We would expect nothing else from our Olivia. That been said I didn't like this episode at all!
    Do I think they have a wee bit of respect for us? I most certainly don't! I would love to see Jonathan Swift reaction watching this episode! Since 16.. something ( I am not sure how old he was when he started writing, science fiction opened the door to imagination to describe future, or far places, and the possibilities that it holds for human kind. Now I am not well studied in literature and I don't mean to emphasis on the social criticism view that seemed to be the main goal of all the classic Sci-fi books. The reason I stopped watching this episode at 04:25 was because everybody and I mean everybody (who has watched a movie with a hanging scene) knows that the brain cannot survive without Oxygen more than a MAXIMUM 60 seconds, and within that 60 seconds there will be no conational interaction with world. I forced myself to continue watching it after a long break only to be disappointed again; I would expect the writers to know about basic biology, the reflexes' thing was absolutely wrong and totally unnecessary . So if you are so busy that you cannot get the basic fact straight and build upon it as a true Sci-Fi why you don't just write drama?! This was absurd up to the point of insulting. (I know you don't like my review but if it helps I am a science geek weirdo ;) ) sorry. Again I do love the cast especially Walter! Figures out with my spelling huh? ;)
  • Could have been a Halloween episode

Shades of Frankenstein but with an original and creepy approach to the concept.
    The growth of Fringe reminds me of the growth of X-Files. The early episodes of X-Files were monster of the week stories. The mythos evolved later in X-Files.
    Same thing with Fringe. The Fringe mythos has developed over the past couple of seasons and the writers are taking full advantage of it. What makes Fringe special is that even the story lines like Marionette which was a stand-alone story, aside from ongoing relationship developments, was special.
    It was creepy but also showed a bad guy who was motivated by trying to do something good - at least in his mind.
  • Creepy horror-movie style episode

I think the scene that gives this episode its title is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. Not gory creepy, the way so much modern horror is, but just really disturbing in a really clever, freaky way. The whole episode was very much a horror movie episode. There was a little of the story arc, and that was quite well done, but for the most part this is just an episode aiming towards old-fashioned chills. The central story seems pretty irrelevant to the series as a whole but is just a nice, tightly-written episode. It reminded me of some of the creepier X-Files episodes.
  • A heartbreaking episode...

Fringe writers, faithful to their habit of wasting no time to tackle issues, immediately dealt with the fallout of the Olivias-switch.
    I liked it but I am afraid it took a toll on our Olivia. In just one episode she went from trying to deal with BOlivia invading her privacy to shyly hoping for happiness with Peter, then abruptly finding out BOlivia did more than just use her appartment. At this point she tried courageously to find it understandable, only to be nudged by the Marionette case to sentence Peter for failing to see through BOlivia.

I liked the episode because there was a lot of Olivia displaying a wide range of emotions. Although the character was threading into new territories emotion-wise, she stayed true to herself. Before this, we had never seen her talking about love so directly or 'comfortably'. I liked when she shyly spoke to Peter about her reason for wanting him back over-here: You belong with me...
    Olivia was very much there when she had that beautifully crafted conversation with Astrid - the unavoidable human-relations hub in the series.
    The laundry scene was another achievement given that the writers until now had mostly shied away from anything directly 'female' about our Olivia.
    The final scene was wonderfully written and acted, and poor Peter couldn't do or say much. The case and the other characters were merely there to help Olivia come to grips with what happened and eventually make a final decision on her relationship with Peter.

This episode was almost single-handedly carried by Olivia and I am more and more impressed by Anna Torv's portrayal of two subtly different Olivias. At this point our Olivia is my favorite character on tv...
  • Great and appropriate episode

This was a great episode and aired at just the right time. After the explosive episode that was Entrada, this was just what was needed. Appropriately subdued and deep episode investigating emotional state of all the characters.

Olivia feeling betrayed, like someone has hijacked her whole life and everything she holds dear to her heart. Last scene with Olivia and Peter sitting in the garden is especially strong. "How could you not see in her eyes that she wasn't me?" Unfair question, but understandable in Olivia's situation. Also one showing just how hard for her it is to overcome everything that she went through. Scene in the hospital caffeteria was also one of the best of the show. Slow realisation of what Peter is telling her etched on Olivia's face was very talented piece of acting.

Once again Anna Torv shows all the splendor of her acting prowess, and by the scene in her apartment you just had to sympathise with her emotional plight.

The case they were working on was superbly tailored to the main narrative of the episode and the show in general. There was no evil villain with some malicious design, just a man who allowed his love of another person to take him way too far.

To say that this episode was all about Olivia and Peter is an understatement, but that is exactly what makes it so good. It was just what we needed to see.

Keep them coming J.J. Abrams.
  • A story with a lot of heart(s)

Anna Torv continues to shine with every episode. Seeing Olivia trying to maintain a brave face, then crumble, was painful but fascinating to watch. She even sells me the idea Olivia loves Peter, an idea I hated when it first popped up in "Jacksonville". And one line from Broyles ( "he was still married ?" ) made me feel for the guy. Fringe writers are really getting good at this ! On the standalone side, yes, it was basically their Frankenstein, as Walter pointed out, but the "dancing corpse" scene was pure poetry, in a twisted, Tim-Burtonesque way. AND the Observers are finally back ! Seriously, what more do you want ?
  • Marionette

Marionette was a really good episode of Fringe. I enjoyed watching this episode as Peter revealed the truth to Olivia, and she feels like every thing has been stolen from her. I thought this was an interesting exploration of the characters, and they acted true to the situation at hand. I thought the heart transplant victim scenes were vivid and disturbing. I wonder if this episode's story has any thing to do with next weeks episode's preview. I was a little surprised at the ending with Olivia and Peter. I can't wait to see what happens in the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Creepy, creepy episode.

This episode was very well done, although the creepiness level was ratcheted up to a ridiculous level. I think that the suspense was really well done and as disturbing as it was, I was so entranced. I wanted to know what was going on. I wanted to know what was going to happen with the girl. When she opened her eyes and you could tell that something wasn't right (although, honestly, that was expected), my heart just broke. I loved the parallels between Olivia and the girl, especially since it was obvious that she was definitely having issues, even if she wouldn't say other wise. All in all, great episode!

And as a small response to the person who gave this episode poor reviews because they couldn't get past the fact that the human body cannot survive without oxygen for more than 60 seconds...really?! You watch Fringe, with all the impossibilities and all the universe jumping, and the things they do and -this- is the one thing that turns you off the show?
  • Very creepy...

Last week's episode was one of the best of the season in my opinion, so this week had a hard act to follow. But let it be known that this episode wasn't a disappointment. I got more or less what I expected and wanted. And that was lots of talk and tension between Olivia and Peter. Not that I'm one for all the sexual tension we see in some shows these days, it's just when you spend 2 months with an alternate version of the girl you love it makes this converstaion hard and awkward. Olivia can be mad all she wants but she should realize that Peter does love her. He probably should've questioned Altivia when he noticed some of those differences, but she should understand that. She lead someone else's life on the other side so she should know how hard it is for people to not notice. The talk at the end, I just felt so bad for Peter, but I predict that they'll sort things out before the end of the season. Now the over plot was interesting. bringing people back to life, in a manner of speaking. It reminds me of 'Brown Betty' almost. I must say though when the girl was being used as the Marionette I was genuinely creeped out. I hope Fringe has more ways to creep me out like that in the future.

Overall a good episode, but hopefully they won't shy away from the alternate universe stuff in the coming episodes. So until 2011, have a good Christmas everyone!
  • A new day at home.

A really creepy episode in every single way. Olivia is back and with her new cases came to the lives of the Fringe Division, in this case we see a kind of Doctor Frankeistein, a man whos trying to revive a young woman who comitted suicides by gathering the organs of the transplants patients while Olivia is fitting to her world.

Is sad to see how Olivia shows herself strong enough to the actions of Bolivia and how her relation with Peter is getting worse.

This is the kind of episode that make Fringe likeable to all the audiences we have gross cases with Fringe mithology and the drama of the characters.

Greats performances by Anna Torv and John Noble.
  • "I don't know what I brought back but I know it wasn't her."

Big change of pace with Fringe stopping the over here/over there episodes and returning to it's original format. It seemed a little strange at first but I got used to it after a second viewing.

As far as alternate universe, first people, etc it was a stand alone however the A story was more symbolic to the characters' relationships , while the B story was more direct about the Peter and Olivia relationship so it was indeed an appropriate way to follow up on Entrada. To those who say that Entrada was more fitting for the fall finale, I say it's better to use this episode to end the fall season rather than to start the winter season after a six week hiatus.

This episode was pretty creepy. The surgeries were all pretty graphic (though not more than we've seen on Fringe before) but the guy making a dead girl dance as if she were a marionette was probably one of the most disturbing things I've seen on televsion. Overall it's a pretty decent episode. Just be prepared for the change of pace. If you've already seen it and just "didn't feel it" then give it another try. Based on previews for the next episode it looks like things are going to start heating up again.

Remember it comes back FRIDAY JAN 21 2011. Remind your fellow fringe fans.
  • Seeing beyond the surface

More than a few people compared the overall theme and feel of this episode to the "X-Files" sequel film "I Want to Believe". Setting aside the fact that the film was relatively ill-received, and that it wouldn't make particular sense for anyone to emulate it as a result, there were some points of comparison. But unlike the film, this episode managed to meld its Frankenstein-esque plot with relevant character beats.

Barrett does everything possible to bring back the young woman he loves, albeit in the most unhealthy way imaginable, but when he doesn't see the real Amanda in her eyes, he despairs. The point is simple: love can see past appearance to the soul, and recognize the inner self (or the lack thereof).

For Olivia, this is the final straw, as she struggles with her return to her old life and the knowledge that Peter was romantically involved with Fauxlivia. Based on her profiling skills, she recognizes that Barrett's obsessive love was the catalyst for his horrific actions. The fact that Barrett knew that Amanda "wasn't there" tells her that Peter should have had the same perception. Peter didn't see through to the truth, and no matter what her pragmatic, intellectual side might tell her, she can't escape the notion that Peter ought to have known.

In a very real sense, it's a clever way to communicate the predictable. Olivia pushes herself to return to her job, assured that her relationship with Peter will provide the touchstone she requires, and that assumption is brutally quashed. For Peter's part, he does everything possible to do right by Olivia, and her colleagues try to give her perspective. Peter truly thought it was Olivia in his life; that love was real, regardless of the circumstances. But there's no way that Olivia and Peter were going to be together without a hitch.

None of it would work if it wasn't for the true chemistry between Olivia and Peter (or, from an acting perspective, Anna Torv and Josh Jackson). Every scene was rife with the unspoken, and it was a joy (and a heartache) to watch them interact. It makes the rift between them painful, but it also makes one look forward to the possibility of a future reconciliation.

My one annoyance with this episode is that it doesn't feel like a proper fall finale. In a way, that makes sense; "Fringe" will be returning on Fridays in mid-January, so it's not a very long wait (thanks to the earlier hiatus in October and a consequence surplus of episodes). But the previous episode was a natural breaking point for the holidays, even if this made for a capable coda to the cross-universe introductory phase of the season arc.
  • awesome

the gross cases are back (although this might seem gross on a whole different level but still great). It might feel like a weird change of pace at first but i got used to it as the episode progressed. I found Olivia`s brake down realistic and compelling... it must be tough to know that not even the man that loves her knew it wasn`t her. after all Olivia has been nothing but relentless throughout this first half of this season, even if her brain (washed clean) was pumped full with someone else`s memories and character, it still found a way to fight (with hallucinations)yet Peter, in his right mind, had seen the signs and still couldn`t put 2 and 2 together. well... she`ll get over it, i hope.

Is it me or the observer thinks that walter is going to die? so another storyline is going to be mixed in with the 'heal the universes' storyline. i`m still curious how they are going to do the healing part... loved the case but i would have liked it if the girl lived. regardless of who she was or wasn`t anymore, after all the lives taken to bring her back it seems a little like a waste... but i guess it would have made things far too complicated.
  • At first I thought Olivia was back.

And then she did that chick thing with Peter; you know the one: The one that gives women everywhere a bad name...

I mean, come on Olivia...you were willing to succumb to what you really needed to believe in a moment of personal confusion and weakness and fill Fauxlivia's shoes, so why couldn't Peter be just as human? Get a grip girl! There is some serious work to be done ahead. And while you're letting a tainted wardrobe consume you, Fauxlivia is "over there" not giving what she did on this side a second thought as she works for your downfall...

Creepy rich guy! Did no one get his possible need for a 72 hour petition back when dead girl did the deed?! Minimum?! Eewwwwww. Even by Fringe standards! But freakishly compelling at the same time...eewwwww...

I think Walter did a great job figuring out the real plot and lead to the real players. I think he earned the extra whipped cream with that strawberry milkshake. Hope he enjoys it; I "Observe" that life appears about to get interesting again. :o