Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 28, 2009 on FOX

• Midnight

I confess that week after week I promise myself not to see the promotional video of the next episode. But I can not resist. You are so close there is one more click and we know that there are 30 seconds behind. We know more and we inevitably salivating for the next chapter.

The promos can draw attention like no other, but are also the primary source of disillusionment. And it was thus that stuck to the promise of this being the 18th biggest surprise of the season I ran forward to viewing. And so I took the beautiful bath. Yes the water was very cold. Not only surprise was poor (not too sure if he should call a surprise) as the whole episode was, in general, boring.

The case itself was boring. Even the top, which is usually always a good piece of suspense and terror, left much to be desired. It was easy to see that the alleged attacker was actually the victim. It is a mechanism that works well but, as is not new, it is quickly identified. It was easy to see the Observer. And above all it was easy to see that there was something wrong with those blue eyes, bright and shiny. Then begins the traditional hunting the monster, in this case a marrow-eating seductress. The investigation leads them to Dr. Nicholas Boone (Jefferson Mays), a man in a wheelchair who desperately seeks his wife. Who is she? Nothing less than the hunter and the prey of men from the FBI. Dr. Boone makes a deal: they pick up his wife and he tells everything he knows about ZFT group, alleged perpetrators of the mutation of the young.

Done. Then follows a chase with the constant expectation of going to know the truth about this group. That's what we're here, that's what we learned more about an alleged battle between two dimensions in "Bad Dreams". Unfortunately not in the narrative manages to grab at any time and then identified the identity of the girl is nothing to show. Scenes are slow and no rhythm, as the nightclub scene with Peter (Joshua Jackson) and Olivia (Anna Torv) without rhythm or intensity and the car scene where the agent is attacked but the journey continues to look like a Sunday drive.

The dynamic between Walter (John Noble) and Boone did not work and between the technical terms and microscopes just not to create any feeling for that which is sacrificed. Without prior leave us a clear recording with the great secret: the name of the founder of ZFT. No less than William Bell, the founder of Massive Dynamics. Surprise? Not really, anything that is not distrusted, we suspected that there is nothing, nothing we did not already know. All or nearly all, cases will lead to the same source, the same red hair that says they knew nothing. I mean, we're not so silly, or Massive Dynamics and was on one side or the other. Apparently it merges with the ZFT in fighting an enemy who does not know.

In an episode bored we were without smiles. Only with the assurance that if this was the trump card of the season and then we can start to cry.
  • The Plot Thickens

Great episode, now we know who is funding ZFT. And really it was no real shocker, the company wasn't exactly nice so we should've expected this. Gripping part for me in this episode is a scientist give up the last of his spinal fluid to create a cure to save his infected wife. Now that's love, really feel sorry for the guy. Can't wait to see what happens next and what their going to do with this new information that they got on the ZFT.
  • Another great episode.

This is the kind of show Fringe needs to put on to keep those American Idol viewers sticking around. Have a psycho killer on the loose that it is not just a simple murderer, but also not too unbelievable that even the biggest sci-fi geek would disapprove of.

My only real complaint here was that the comedy element of this show seems to disappearing. There was very minimal dialogue between Walter and Peter, and outside of a few sarcastic Peter Bishop lines, not a lot of laughs tonight. I understand there needs to be a serious tone, but every once and awhile JJ Abrams could throw us a joke.
  • Ok but nothing compared to last week.

Someone is killing people and draining their spinal cord fluid. Olivia, Peter, and Walter go to great lengths to stop the deaths, which are happening more and more frequently. Compared to last weeks episode "Bad Dreams" felt slow, it was basically a filler episode after last week s great twist and I felt it lacked in Walter's humour and any development with the story. There was a good few scenes where I had to look away because of seeing blood and bones I kind of have a weak stomach when it comes to stuff like that so it was fun too look away when we saw something disgusting.
  • A little more than a typical monster of the week episode.

I've often criticized this show for its lack of focus when it comes to its own mythology and with this episode, it seems like the overall arc of the series has finally lurched foreword. This in itself is a good thing as it gives Fringe a sense of direction, but I felt that this episode was appealing for another reason -- it gratifies me to see people doing things simply because they are the right thing to do.

This brings us to Dr. Boone who not only gives his wife his own spinal fluid, but later sacrifices himself to save her and then delivers on a promise as one of his final acts. Does this really excuse him doing work for ZFT? That's debatable, but a story of sacrifice and plain-old goodness in the face of evil is usually enough to make me happy.

Fringe has been hit or miss for me; Mostly miss, but if they take the lessons of this episode and focus on humanity instead of sensationalism, I think this could become a worthy successor to The X-Files.

"Midnight" could have been another boring monster of the week episode, but it redeemed itself with Dr. Boone and his quest to simply do the right thing.
  • A gruesome murderer is on the loose

The Fringe-Team discovers a sickening serial killer on the loose who takes his victims spinal fluids but why? The team track down the man behind it, Nicholas Boone a budding scientist. Olivia questions him and Nick himself tells her they are making him do this, ZFT have his wife. Boone bargains with her get my wife back and I'll tell you everything. Well the team go to retrieve her at a restaurant but there's no sign of her, Boone finally tells Olivia that his wife is the killer and she's been infected.

Nicholas and Walter share the laboratory in search of a cure; While Olivia and Peter scour the city in search of a pattern of her attacks. Peter and Olivia get a hint of where she might be they track her down at an underground night club. Boone makes a sacrifice to allow his wife to live. Before giving an overdose of spinal fluid for the antidote, he also films a confessional in which he names William Bell as the primary funding source for the ZFT
  • Someone is killing people and draining their spinal cord fluid. Olivia, Peter, and Walter go to great lengths to stop the deaths, which are happening more and more frequently.

Someone is killing people and draining their spinal cord fluid. Olivia, Peter, and Walter go to great lengths to stop the deaths, which are happening more and more frequently. I have a feeling a lot of my Fringe reviews are going to become me saying the same thing, so I will give the sum up version here as well. The show is hurt by episodes that act as standalones, like this one. Maybe they don't have enough "in the tank" so to speak to do episodes with Jones / Observer over and over again, but thats the real meat of the story. I have heard people say that these standalone episodes make the episodes with Jones better. I disagree. I think the episodes with Jones make these episodes worse, just because we are so much more interested in the big picture. If they are going to do this stadnalone stuff we need more Oliva / Peter interaction. Not that they have to get together, but just more personal connections in some way.
  • Another great episode!! Warning, spoilers contained below.

So in this episode we find out that ZFT has someone's wife, and this person is willing to co-operate, but only when his wife is saved. A big break for the team if they could get more information on ZFT, too bad their informant died before he could tell them much. I have to admit, I really did want to know more about what Walter did to Olivia when she was little. So naturally, when they avoided touching on this, I was a little bit ticked off. Not to the point where it took away from the episode, but I really do want to know more! But all was not lost in the informant's death, as he did leave a tape with some answers. How many, we are not entirely sure of, but he did leave the name of who is funding ZFT, and that person is William Bell. I wonder how true this is, and if it is true, it makes a lot of sense. Pretty good episode, answered some big questions, even though it didn't answer some of the ones I wanted answered.
  • gruesome!

A woman injected with super syphilis feeds herself with the spinal fluid from her victims. To do so she seduces them in a club and when they are alone she breaks their necks and sucks them.
    The investigations soon conduct them to a Doctor that was working for ZFT doing experiments like the supersyphilis. When he tried to leave the organitzation they infected his wife. He makes a deal with Olivia that if she brings her wife back to him alive and lets him work in an antidote for the supersyphilis he would tell Olivia all he knows about ZFT. Peter and Olivia with Charlie's help capture the wife in the club. Meanwhile Walter and the Doctor work on the antidote that ends up being based on the Doc's spinal fluid. Once they get it they injected to the wife and she gets better but the Doctor dies, not before having recorded a tape for Olivia with all the information he promised her.
  • Midnight

Fringe Season 1 Episode 18 Midnight
    The Fringe Division investugates the murders of people who are drainned of their spinal coard liquid. This leads them to scientist of ZFT, who reveals his wife have been infected with an extinct Sifilis and that she's the killer. He agrees on helping the Fringe Division in telling them about ZFT if they help his wife.

Fringe is an amazing show. This episode is so awesome, not as good as the previous "Bad Dreams but still amazing. This ep was grt. Full of suspense and revealing: according to this guy, William Bell is connecteed to ZFT! I wont continue saying anymore for the next episodes, to not spil it for the ones who havent seen it yet.
  • Killer Blue Eyes...

One of the things that is starting to come through is some of the cases are coming back to the forefront and being linked together to complete a very warped and bizarre circle. I thought the twist that Valerie Boone was being used as weapon in order to punish her husband was sick but extremely creative. Boone sharing that William Bell is involved with ZFT was truly no surprise but gives Olivia and the fans a target. The back story of Olivia having to deal with the personal side of things with her sister's pending divorce and custody fight.

One of the things that keeps me watching is the continuous one-liners.
  • While 'Midnight' essentially follows the same narrative pattern as last week's stellar instalment, 'Bad Dreams', it somehow doesn't manage to hit the kind of giddy heights that its predecessor did.

Hmm. Curiously, while 'Midnight' essentially follows the same narrative pattern as last week's stellar instalment, 'Bad Dreams', by counterpointing a fringe science case with some plot elements that advance the show's over-arching mythology, it somehow doesn't manage to hit the kind of giddy heights that Akiva Goldsman's episode did. Perhaps it's the central concept that's to blame: while it's hardly bad, it just doesn't have the same level of gravitas as 'a man whose emotions dictate the responses of others'. Essentially, what we have here is another genetically modified something or other that has been altered to the detriment of mankind by the evil folk at the ol' ZFT to 'show off' to the scientific community. And sure, the minutiae of the transformation have their appeal: spinal fluid draining is suitably grotesque and those piercing blue eyes are a very memorable image, but that doesn't save them from ultimately amounting to very little other than window dressing for the real drive of the narrative, which, unfortunately, appears to be a moral lesson about the nature of love. Oh just look at the wheelchair-bound doctor, sacrificing himself and devoting all his time to his demented, spine-sucking lover! And how poignant the juxtaposition, eh, with poor Rachel and her impending divorce and custody battle! Erm, no. While the scientist's motivation is at least acceptable as a logical component of the story, all this gumf with Olivia's sister is just plain irritating. Get rid of it as soon as possible please as it does nothing but distract from the thrust of the plot, creating lulls in the action that suck you right out of your engagement with the episode. Elsewhere, in a pleasantly surprising move, we actually do acquire some information about ZFT (I was sure the guy would snuff it before he could reveal anything) but sadly, it's nothing we hadn't guessed at already. Still, at least it's moving the plot forward a bit, indicating that we might get a stellar ol' season finale. As with many Fringe episodes, 'Midnight' is far from a shoddy hour of television. It's competent, fairly well written and has some interesting concepts at its heart. It just lacks that extra ingredient to make it something truly great.
  • Not one of their best

This is another episode that appears to be stand-alone in nature, but actually has direct ties to the overall mythology when all is said and done. This makes the episode very much like "Inner Child", where the case in question is mostly the story of how Olivia and her team acquire insight and information they would otherwise never uncover.

In this case, it's a collection of small revelations, many of them predictable in the sense that they were well-hinted over the course of the season. The followers of the ZFT Manifesto apparently know that Walter Bishop was the author of their guiding text. I get the distinct feeling that the ZFT terrorists know what happened to Walter and his memory, and they also know, to some extent, how to manipulate Walter (and therefore Peter and Olivia) as a result.

It's also revealed that William Bell is the man behind the ZFT terrorist cell. William Bell was identified early as the probable mastermind behind The Pattern, after all. Even if the situation has complicated somewhat since those early days, it only made sense that Bell would still be in the thick of things, and not in a good way. This is especially true after the previous episode, in which Bell seems to be a lot less sympathetic to "Olive" than Walter.

The main question coming out of this episode is simply this: what possible reason could the ZFT terrorists have for experiments like the one conducted? If this is all about a war against invaders from a parallel universe, it doesn't quite add up. That's the case for most of the experiments conducted by the ZFT cell. The writers have done a good job of letting events unfold in such a way that this question rarely comes to mind, but sooner or later, a more cohesive rationale must emerge.

One drawback of this episode is the subplot involving Olivia's sister and the divorce. While the writers do attempt to make a comparison between Boone's unusual level of sacrifice for his wife and the other relationships being shown, it just isn't that interesting. I fear that Olivia's visiting family will end up being victimized before the season is over. Not because I particularly care about those characters, but rather, because it is all too predictable a plot device.
  • Oliva and the Fringe team have to catch a killer in order to get more information on ZFT, Rachel's receiving divorce papers and has to face an oncoming battle for custody & finally the confirmation is made that William Bell is a huge part of the mistery..

This episode maintained the emotional tune that started getting more persistent last week. One can truly feel that we are headed to the season finale and the loose ends are getting tied. The true mistery of this episode is once again the storyline of Rachel. Why do the creators of the show bother to introduce us to her problems on such a frequent rate? One can only wonder if its purpose is to make us feel closer to the private Olivia or if the relationship to her sister is going to present us a new subplot (except the involvement of her niece Ella in "The No-Brainer"). It's the same thing about the blossoming flirtation between Rachel and Peter. Is the obviously bothered Olivia the only thing we'll get out of this? Or is Peter unknowingly drawn into some kind of pitfall by this binding?

I sure hope to see some resolutions here, without beeing inconsolable if the creators decided to drop this storyline if the dissolution is anything less than enthralling.
  • Olivia and Peter are on the hunt for someone who is killing men for their spinal fluid.

On tonight's episode, Olivia's investigation of a grotesque murder leads to a supposedly extinct strain of syphilis and a killer who leaves human bite marks on their victims chewed up spines. The virus leads them to a scientist with ties to ZFT and makes a deal with them - if they find his wife and return her to him safely, he will disclose all that he knows about ZFT.
    It was an interesting episode with some intriguing revelations, some many fans have already guessed at, a couple of them genuine surprises. Walter, as usual was brilliant and his connection with Peter is getting stronger with every episode. Loved the banter between the two of them with the Dracula discussion. Peter and Olivia are becoming closer as her other partner, and the chemistry between them stronger without throwing them straight into coupledom. Last episode the chemistry between them was more apparent, this episode the chemistry was more subtle, more about the partnership - at least to me it was. The case itself was interesting, with a scientist whose link with ZFT caused someone he loved to suffer and who was willing to sacrifice his own life to save the one he loved. A portent for episodes to come, perhaps? Or is it similar to an event that happened in the past. Maybe there was more than Walter remembers or wants to remember about what happened to Peter when he was young and the mysterious illness that he had.
    Anyway, the only slight complaint that I had about the episode was the whole side story with Rachel. I get that we're supposed to compare Rachel's tale of love gone wrong with Dr. Boone's willingness to do anything to save his wife. The problem was, it felt like nothing more than a distraction. Other than that it was a pretty good episode. Next Ep looks awesome though.