Fringe

Neither Here Nor There

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Sep 23, 2011 on FOX

• Human shapeshifters, Peter, and the cow.

Wow. I was excited for this season premiere for a long time. After this stunning cliffhanger from Season 3, I was eager to find out how exactly theshow-runnerswere going to explain this one. Was the episode disappointing? Not exactly.

For the Season Four Premiere, we went back to Fringe's basic monster-of-the-weekstory line. This week, we were introduced to these new human shapeshifters (I call them Translucents), who are basically killing people with some sort of material in their bodies (I think it's metal? Don't remember.) and draining their bodies. As usual, the FBI tracks down these shapeshifters and Olivia shows off her butt-kicking action (albeit getting a bit brutalized).

Predictable? A little bit. But that wasn't the part of the episode I particularly liked. The Fringe show-runners integrated some more mythology and "Where Is Peter?" info into this episode. Usually Walter is the show-stealer; however, this week, September the Observer gets that title. Basically, he is recruited by his elder Observer, December, to permanently erase the "traces" of Peter that still bleed through. The episode followed him as he collected pieces to build his device to erase Peter. But the decision he ultimately makes in the end...well, I don't want to spoil it.

All in all, a mostly satisfying premiere to what looks like a great season of Fringe. I wish we would have seen more of the Other Side (Walternate!), and that opening scene between the two Olivias felt a little forced to me, but all in all, it was a great episode. Looking forward to next week!