Fringe

Northwest Passage

Aired Friday 9:00 PM May 06, 2010 on FOX

• warming

was warming... not excite at all. a unusual episode but in the last second... will blow your mind. Mister SECRETARY???? WOW! I love this estructure. Was used as exhaustion on "LOST" and here shows me that still work... everything leaves to the last second.....
  • Northwest Passage

We grabbed the map and think about the geography. In our geography. We are just after a series of exciting and brilliant episodes, after a full return of strength and conviction, and almost, almost at the last two volumes that give name to the end. We are more precisely in "Northwest Passage".

This was an episode dedicated to Peter (Joshua Jackson). Because of its importance (yet unexplained) in the overall scheme of things the character assumes the role so long awaited. In the middle of his flight to somewhere in search of answers, in search of himself, Peter finds himself embroiled in a series of strange crimes. A small town is suddenly haunted by strange disappearances and killings, pointing directly to the involvement of Newton (Sebastian Roch). How will it be the reason for murder, decides to join the sheriff's service and help in the investigation. Haunted by the past, by apparent visions and there are no phone calls it turns out to discover the real culprit. A bucket of cold water to the extent that the solution has little to do with the answers he sought. In the end, deserved rest, the song "Is There a Ghost" from Band of Horses is interrupted, and Newton shows him her real father. The dark and lucid Walternate.

Despite the fantastic atmosphere of a small town, lost in the cold and dense state of Washington - to refer again and again to "Twin Peaks" - the episode was just a means to an end. A confused and atabalhoado pretext for the long-awaited rematch between Walternate (Mr. Secretary) and Peter. We knew this would happen, that the bad guys come looking for you to recruit and possibly lead back to the other side. What we did not know is that it required a great excuse for this story happen. The main investigation dragged on without much pace or direction, without deciding it wanted to address the dilemma of the protagonist or find out who killed the girls. Then why not just address the fund either of these two points, touching Peter the final surprise of the episode and guilty to offering a three blows without reason or explanation. To make matters worse, this mystery was being interrupted by intervals useless where we saw Walter (John Noble) and Olivia (Anna Torv) to remind us who are concerned.

As an appetizer following the end - just saw the promo and went crazy! - Expected something more dense. A trip more meaningful to the feelings of indecision and Peter. More substance to fill the action and does not leave us empty of trumps in his hand.

The Best: The environment.

The worst: It was a poor excuse for a final rich.
  • Mystery of the man from the other side revealed

Now we know the man from the other side was Walter from the other side. Which came in the ending of this episode. The case in this episode was alright nice to see Peter doing some rogue detective work to help the sheriff find her love partner which they did. I wonder how these events will turn out and is Walter father responsible for all these crazy stuff thats going on. Did he create these beings to find Peter. I guess there is always a price to pay if you upset the balance.
  • The Peter Episode - questions

It took me a moment since I hadn't seen Martha Plimpton since an episode of SVU to figure out it was Stef from Goonies.

This episode focused on Peter and what he does to help solve cases without his father or Olivia to help him or for him to help them.

Do people even know what mixed cds & tapes are considering our digial age of downloads?

And are we now going to have Fringe posters like the X files "I want to Believe" but instead they say "find the crack"? And who else had a flash of Peter being Walter while he was holding that needle towards Mathis?
  • Well...

...I guess we knew it was coming at some point, but I never expected the original Walter to be behind the other-wordly sightings of tonight. And at first glance, I don't think he's going to take no for an answer when it comes to Peter's next move, nor is he going to be particularly forgiving of Walter number two.

It was nice to see such a strong episode for Joshua Jackson, and there is nothing like a serial killer to keep the viewer on the edge, especially when the serial killer is assumed to be from another dimension, and then turns out to be your average, garden variety serial killer of this world. I guess now we have to see if Olivia and, shall we call him "Walter B"?, will make it to Washington State in time to prevent Peter's true disappearance.

I'm betting the chase will go well beyond Washington State...
  • bonus episode again???!!!

I don't understand. Brown betty was kind of bonus episode. After that, again?? I have been waiting great episode after the fair scored episode. There was nothing great and emotional scene except appearance of Walternate. I tried to watch this episode twice. But I felt everytime boring. Eventually, I watched. Still feeling disappointment. But I hope next episode will be great and emotional and I will be in adrenaline rush. Poor Peter has to make a hard choice. I think everybody is in side of our walter. But Walternate and Newton have done so many awful thing to innocent people. It will lead to let Peter choose our Walter. I hope
  • northwest passage

I thought for awhile that JJ Abrams may have channeled his inner Lost and Peter would be the only star to appear in the episode but eventually Walter and Olivia showed up.

This episode reminded me of the town with the deformed people episode from a few months back with the small town sheriff going along with Peter and finding out just what he had been through.

While it was a fun hour of television the ending is what made the episode for me. Not only was there a Peter from the other side, but now there is another Walter! This should be good.
  • Things get serious again this week with a Peter-centric episode and the best ending to a Fringe episode yet.

Last week was a bit of a departure for Fringe with the musical/fairytale crazy episode, which was great in its own way but now it's good to be back to business.

This episode focusses mainly on Peter who is trying to find meaning in his life after learning he came from a paralell universe. His plans of escaping are cut short when a waitress he has been flirting with in a roadside cafe goes missing and turns up dead in a very similar manner to some Fringe cases. Thinking its a Fringe case he does everything he can to help the local police solve it without the help of the FBI which would mean an inevitable reunion with Walter. The case is solved and it turns out it wasn't Fringe related after all, but the journey has been an important one for Peter although he doesn't quite get to complete it. We see the bad guy Newton at different points throughout the episode, suggesting that something much bigger is going on, but it has nothing to do with the murders. The main plot plays out well, and has plenty of atmosphere and suspense though is different in feeling to a normal fringe case.

Back in Boston, Walter is finding it hard to cope without Peter, breaking down in a supermarket, in one of those moments where you really feel sorry for Walter and realise he's not quite recovered from his time in St Claire's yet. He comes up with the idea for an invention to find Peter, but before he gets chance to use it Olivia announces that she thinks she knows where he is. The sub-plot with Walter and Olivia is kept to a minimum but there's just enough to give the episode an extra emotional impact and make it feel more Fringe-ish.

Joshua Jackson turns in a great performance this episode, balancing his anger at Walter with the fact that he knows he has to help the local cops solve the murder. John Noble once again proves his versatility as Walter being as believable as the funny mad scientist as he is as the recovering patient from St Claire's. The epsisode in itself, while it could be seen as another departure (a fairly normal detective drama, with no paranormal explanation) it's highly enjoyable and important for the character development of Peter.

The best part by far of the epsiode was the ending, which left me with my jaw agape, as though maybe I should have done, I did not guess what was in store. If you haven't seen it I won't spoil it, but I will say it will make the season finale, and future seasons (it really is a bit of a game changer) very, very interesting.
  • Oh my god! Warning, spoilers ahead.

Okay, so I had my suspicions that the person behind all of Newtons doings was Walternate, but still, when we finally see him and have it confirmed, damn. I have not yelled at the TV like that in a long time, I just knew they were going to end the episode as soon as we saw his face! What an epic episode, first time I believe where they focus on Peter and the other characters are minor parts. Wow, just wow. I am going crazy right now, I can't wait for the next episode!!!!! How many episodes are left now, I sure hope it doesn't end soon, but I do know the season will probably end in the next few episodes! Damn, I really don't want to go without this show now that it's so amazing!
  • Prepare for an awesome season finale !

We all suspected who "Mister Secretary" was ... in fact, the cliffhanger was something we were expecting since "There's more than one of everything". But, surprising or not, the perspective that Peter will soon have to choose between the two Walters, between the two worlds, is enough to give some thrills. In the meantime, this week's episode manages to offer some unexpected twists - revealing that the deaths had actually nothing to do with Newton was quite a good idea - and some scenes - dialogue between Peter and the Sheriff, the forest chase, the paranoia induced by the presence of shapeshifters - bring back memories from the good old days of early X Files. But the episode also reveals that, although Joshua Jackson is not a bad actor, Peter is a character who simply can't carry an episode ( almost ) all by himself. In fact, John Noble, once again, steals the show as soon as he appears ( I can't wait to see what he's gonna do with Walternate ) ... and the episode eventually shows that the Fringe family needs to reunite soon. Not a bad idea to try to make Peter grow as a character ( in particular, I've appreciated how he comes up with a wacky idea to locate the killer, a very "Walter-esque" idea ), but it's only half-succesful this time ... Anyway, incoming scenes with "Walternate" should correct that very quicky. See you next time "over there" !
  • Two Johns Noble? :D

Two Johns Noble? :D
    I don't know why Hollyiwood insists on casting aside actresses over 2o (personally the show that stars underwear models totally ruins it for me.. Happy Town being an example.)Martha Plimpton was so refreshing. An actress that actually looks human and delivers a performance that's of a normal small town individual, trying to deal with the worst of both worlds. Even if the story wasn't so heavily focused on Peter, and of course getting to meet the "pissed off" version of Walter bishop (an evil John Noble in a father role - I haven't had the goosebumps since his Denethor), it would have gotten my vote for being the perfect blend of x-files misty, moist, unpleasant foresty terrain; the drama and the crime solving and the touch of romance that seems to be in short supply in the world of surreal world-ending twists. Fringe episodes come and go, some suck some rule and overall feeling is similar to that of Dollhouse... It just doesn't seem to get through the door. I hope it goes further still, as it seems it's gaining mementum, but episodes like this, even without the 'preternatural' bits, keep my expectations high.
  • Peter as Agent Cooper

To be honest, I was a bit surprised to discover that a lot more people agreed with my assessment of "Brown Betty" than disagreed. I received plenty of responses in sympathy with my extreme disappointment with the "musical episode", and very little in the way of defense. Seems like a lot of fans felt as I did: that the format-busting interlude actually sabotaged the strong momentum that has been building since "Jacksonville".

The writers attempt to bounce back with this Peter-centric tale, and for the most part, it gets the story back on track. While Peter tries to find himself, with decidedly mixed results, Fringe Division reels from Walter's steady regression back to his early first season persona. It's always been clear that Walter's growing sense of confidence was proportional to Peter's increasing goodwill, so this is not unexpected.

To focus on Walter for a moment, this crisis could be a good thing in the long term. It's never a good thing to depend on a single person for one's psychological and emotional well-being, after all. Walter's realization that Olivia and Astrid are willing to step into the void left by Peter's departure may give him the necessary foundation to restore his own sense of self-control. Or, if nothing else, it could lead Walter to understand the simple value of asking for help.

In the meantime, Peter finds himself in the middle of a case that is an homage to "Twin Peaks". There are tons of direct and indirect references to the show in this episode, and half the fun was hunting them down over the course of the story. That does beg the question, however: how good could the story be, if at least some of the audience was busy with an Easter egg hunt?

In fact, Peter's tale had its strengths and weaknesses. Most of all, this was about Peter trying to figure out who he is and where he belongs. In essence, it is Peter protesting far too much about being Peter Bishop from Boston. No matter how many alias he might throw out, or how many times he wants to stay removed from Fringe Division and his work with the FBI, it keeps coming down to that identity. And by the end, even Peter finds it hard to believe that it's not all about him and his specific circumstances.

There is a definite underlying intent of showing Peter as someone who has found a place in the world, regardless of his preferences to the contrary. It would be very easy to assume that Peter is still the person with no attachments to the world around him, but one nice aspect of "Fringe" is the lack of characters with stunted growth. Characters aren't static; they have evolved, even if it may not be as profound as one would like.

But there are signs throughout the episode that Peter has a fundamental connection to the world around him. He cares that a woman he barely knows is killed. He cares that Sheriff Mathis may have lost the man she loves to Newton. And looking at it from a wider perspective, Peter's concern for Newton's apparent victims was a result of his strengthened moral compass.

After all, it's easy to forget that Peter wasn't simply disconnected from the world as a whole; he was largely disconnected from the ethical considerations of the world. Peter was so unlikeable in the pilot that many people thought he should be killed off at the first opportunity. This episode makes the point that Peter is no longer as mercenary and unfeeling as he once was. Regardless of his own personal tragedy, he cannot ignore the lives of the people around him in Fringe Prime.

Which is a necessary building block going into the finale, because as long predicted, Peter has been tracked down by Walternate, who is revealed as a key figure in the plot to destroy Fringe Prime. It's unclear if Newton and Walternate were using Craig Shoen to achieve their own ends, or simply realized that it would be the kind of case that Peter couldn't ignore. That was one of the weaknesses of the story: the truth behind the killings was a bit too confusing. But there is no doubt that Walternate has come for Peter in anticipation of Newton's successful opening of a door between the two worlds.

There was little doubt of this development, so it was a bit anticlimactic. But now the case has been made for Peter to reject the notion that destroying Fringe Prime is reasonable response to the crime committed by Walter. I'm not even sure that Peter would agree that Walter deserves to be punished anymore. He certainly wouldn't want to see Olivia killed.

Some would make the argument that Peter could simply choose to be with the version of Olivia in Alt-Fringe, thus casting aside considerations of Fringe Prime altogether. Even ignoring this episode's purpose, that's not a logical assumption. It's already clear that people in Alt-Fringe are not the same, and there's no reason to think that Alt-Olivia would be similar in personality to Olivia Prime. What little has been seen and told of Alt-Fringe suggests a much harder life.

By the end of the episode, a case has been made for Peter to reject the kind of "by any means necessary" rationalization that Walternate is likely to offer for his war on Fringe Prime. Despite his origins and his lifelong search for a home and purpose, it's too large a leap to suggest that Peter would switch allegiances and accept the destruction of Fringe Prime.
  • Diverse

If I had to describe this show in one would that would be it. I love that this show can go from an episode called Peter without any appearance of Joshua Jackson, then a musical episode based on a story made up by a some what high Dr. Bishop, and then to this episode all about Peter solving some crazy murders in Washington. There is never a dull moment on this show because JJ Abhrams and everyone else always send out something new and different we've never seen before. And for everyone who hasn't seen this episode yet OMG. These episodes are leading up to what should be a great finale and a promising season three.
  • Peter flies solo.

Newton's presence lures Peter to a remote town seeking his true origins and trying to solve a crime; solid performaces by Jackson and Plimpton delivered a sense of mystery with a truly provoking twist as the murderer is revealed to be nothing but a regular serial killer rather than the man from the other side that Peter expected to find.

Traces of both Peter's fathers could be found throughout this case, from his deductive mind to his fake name making him a completely distinguishable individual from the one our Walter was trying to pass as his son and thus setting up an encounter that could only take place once that Peter would realize he no longer feels part of this world: the first time Peter meets his own father, the one from the other side.
  • Good episode with some strong scenes

I enjoyed this episode very much. Sure, it didn't blow me away or anything, it wasn't one of those episodes. But it did have some moments that were handled perfectly. The episode centers around Peter trying to solve a case of his own. Some of the scenes were tense, emotional and exciting. One of the scenes that really got to me was when Walter was in the grocery store and breaks out with anger because of the ingredients on the back of a food product. First of all, great acting from John Noble, I think he is the best actor in the show he really knocks it out of the park every week. But it really shows the emotional damage its having on him with Peter being missing and not being able to find out where he is.

I won't spoil anything for you but the final scene was shocking. I'm sure next weeks finale will be amazing. Truly excited about it.
  • A very Peter-ish episode prepares us or a Walter-esk future.

This episode of Fringe revolves around Peter and his disappearance. While traveling to find who he really is he becomes part of and investigation of a murder. His past experience plays a role in helping solve this mystery. As more and more people disappear and later are found dead suspicions arise. Eventually Peter and the local sheriff find what they are looking for and part ways, that is until Peter is visited by someone very familiar. Meanwhile Walter and Olivia try desperately to seek out Peter and eventually learn his whereabouts and take the next flight out.

This was a very Peter-ish episode, which isn't a bad thing. The episode is more of a precursor of something pretty large later on and the end of this episode proves that.