Fringe

Nothing As It Seems

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 30, 2012 on FOX

• Conrad? John Scott?

Even though they mentioned that Conrad died about 5 years ago, they didn't mention that John Scott was also involved in this case. They could have gone to John Scott in this world and asked him if he was still undercover with the NSA and or what he is doing. I'm sure they purposefully stayed away from the topic as there is probably tension between Anna Torv and Mark Valley.

What does anyone else think?
  • 4x16 "Nothing As It Seems"

This episode felt like a flashback. It reminded me of the first season of this wonderful show (when everything was simpler and there was only one universe). And that is not a bad thing, one of the things I like the most about Fringe is the ability it has to make you think and feel and the same time... And that's something not a lot of shows can do.
  • Great Episode

Really had a good time with this episode. Was good to see Peter and Olivia working the case together eventhough the fbi is having worries of Olivia's state and and decided to do a evaluation on her. Lots of good laughs from Walter and a suprise birthday he does for Peter. It was nice to get a since of warmth back to this group that was deeply missed in season 3, Peter now knows where he belongs. But, leaves a lot of questions that I can't wait to be explored.
  • hrmn....

I love EVERYTHING Walter said in this episode... esp. "Colonel Broyles, what a lovely tie."

All this talk of DRJ but where is he?? I played the IL State lottery for the 640 Million and had i won i wooda given a bunch to fund fringe for a few more seasons but alas i didn't win.
  • Disappointing story, uninspired writing, some thrilling sequences, misplaced humor, underused Olivia, mysterious ending but not intriguing (Spoilers)

Nothing is as it seemson The Island of Doctor Moreau ? This is not Fringe anymore, at least the one I like. Season 3 was all about the fascinating amber and delivered some mind blowing stories. However for some episodes now I have been questioning the sources of inspiration used by the writers to develop the arc about David Jones and the shapeshifters. I'm not satisfied at all with this episode probably based upon H. G. Wells' novel. Humans turning themselves into porcupines thinking it's an improvement ? With no doubt the last man we saw, played by the actor who portrayed a doctor in Smallville, did it for love and it's not surprising considering how the woman was pretty but why would she inject herself such an atrocious substance ? And I'm not really interested in answering these questions because I feel like the writers are out of ideas or just slowing things down using fillers to achieve their goal, 22 episodes. So let's hope they will step up their game and go back to the show's roots !

In my opinion the first disappointing element was the creature of the week. The second it rushed out of the bathroom and attacked the customs officers I knew it should have been kept in the dark. Isn't the unknown stimulating for the imagination after all ? The part on the plane was thrilling, from the nosebleed to the panic attack in the toilet, but afterward they landed in B movie land. Still its sudden appearance in the house both scared my popcorn and myself. An entertaining explosion and it took me a while to recover ! It leads us to Lincoln because his infection was dead boring and for once even Walter's jokes didn't make me laugh. This time one of them was even misplaced, the late birthday presents, as it interrupted Olivia and Peter's discussion about the case. Moreover it seemed even Joshua Jackson was annoyed by his role, forced to jump from seriousness to a kid at some party. Even his chat with Lincoln in the car, finally, didn't meet my expectations because he played it way too nicely. How would you react if some other guy stole your girlfriend right under your nose ? So let's just hope he's a shapeshifter or will turn his back on them somehow !

As for the episode concept I have to admit that it was well thought out. Peter and Olivia used their alt-knowledge to investigate but I think the last could have been better used. What about using her as a bait to trap the porcupine ? He was apparently seeking for a mate. Moreover when it comes to such monsters I can't help thinking about the 15th episode of Primeval 3rd series. In it Abby, the cute blonde, has to deal with a half Gollum and half Gremlins creature. I compared her to Buffy and mentioned the Little Red Riding Hood as a reference because she just made the story more frightening. That's why I strongly believe that an Olivia versus Porcupine sequence could have been jaw dropping ! After all what's more exciting than a damsel in distress ? Instead they decided to develop some predictable arc about her career when I never considered for a second that she was in trouble. Last but not least I can see how the ship transporting the creatures is a Noah's Ark but sadly, beside spotting the leg of a giant spider, I'm not really intrigued by it. In fact I worry that we will never know what it was even if David Jones should be behind it.

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.
  • Nothing as it Seems

I like the return of the porcupine from an episode way back, good to see the show making the past matter, but it was done in a fetish Beauty of the Beast way, kind of diminishing that earlier episode instead of being nostalgic about it. I also didn't like the Paranormal Activity style directing with the Fringe team tracking him in the dark room and shooting at him.

Solid, glad the viewership was up too, but not that good.
  • Even standalone, still amazing!

Great episode of Fringe! Even when they do standalone episodes such as this one, they are still much better than many other shows on TV! For a more in-depth review, but also short and sweet, check out my review on my blog! Also, all you Fringies out there, keep up your hope for a season 5 renewal!!!

• "Weird is a matter of degrees"

Remaking a season 1 episode with some twists was a good idea, even if I'm quite sure the episode in question could have been picked better. Tying it into Jones' plans was a nice touch, but I wonder if it will lead anywhere ( I doubt it ).

Anyway, once more, it's the character interactions that are really worth watching : Olivia's beginning to realize what her decision is costing her, and it was actually a good idea to have Broyles question her psychological state ( I even thought - hoped ? - it would be harder for her to regain her status, but at least it gave us good lines from Broyles in the end ), Lincoln had interesting heart-to-heart talks with both Peter and Olivia, and he felt as an integral part of the team like he too rarely does. Oh, and the birthday gifts part was both hilarious and touching ... typical Walter !

All in all, standard standalone episode, not mindblowing, but not exactly bad either.