Fringe

Novation

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 04, 2011 on FOX

• Peter was suppose to die?? I don't think so...

the observers in the finale of season 3 say that Peter doesn't exist because he has fulfilled his purpose; implying that he wasn't suppose to and that things have been course corrected. And Peter in this episode wonders why he is back if he was suppose to die in both universes the first time around. Peter Was Not suppose to die on the Other Side. if it wasn't for the observer's intervention, Walternate would have known that he made a breakthrough in devising a cure and would have saved Peter's life. Peter was suppose to live, and did live bc of Walter. this is the Observer's fault, and him course correcting in a way that erases Peter is not course correcting. the observer admitted that it was his fault and that Peter needs to live. the observers couldn't have overlooked this as they see all time and all universes.
  • The Mystery Continues

This is was a good episode, Walter giving in to see Peter one more time even though he thinks he don't deserves to have that type of happiness. Weird because Peter felt the same way in the past before they got close, now that Walter admits it leaves Peter feeling hurt. It hurts so see they were all so close like a family it was a great sight to see and now this. I gave a good rating for the writing of the show and flow of information it provided and yet left even more questions to keep you hooked into watching. Now that's a good episode lol.
  • Novation

A solid episode of Fringe here tonight. While the shapeshifters are not unique to this show, they do use them as well as any other sci-fi program does. I also like that they are bringing Nina Sharpe back into the fold, as she is integral to the story, yet hasn't appeared that way as of late.

Intriguing sci-fi drama, and some nice mystery involving what exactly is going on with Peter, so it gets a 7 out of 10 for me.
  • "Novation" is an effective episode, returning us to the world of the weird, reacquainting us with the translucent shapeshifters and the effects of Peter's reappearance, both on the Fringe Division and the world at large.

(Spoiler Alert)

Peter's appearance in the yellow universe may be a sign of things to come. As we know, Peter is something of an anomaly. Hence, the time distortion toward the end of the episode may be a signal that Peter's time here will be very limited, and Walter will have to overcome his angst from the reappearance of his son.

The translucent shapeshifters, like their predecessors, are part of a war between the worlds. Who sent these soldiers, and who will send the ones to come?

Yellow Universe General Differences:

Nina Sharp adopted, or at least raised, Olivia and her sister.

The Observers either do not exist or are not known to the Fringe Division.

As always, John Noble played Walter to perfection, and Anna Torv was fantastic. However, this was clearly more of a Walter/Peter episode than anything else. I can't wait for next week.

• Jaw dropping shapeshifter, convincing guests, exciting ripple effect, perfect format, promising season but lazy security (Spoilers)

How dare they leave us for two weeks after such a cliffhanger ! But Novation didn't disappoint, as expected. So far I had been quite pleased by the visual effects but this time they pushed the barrier even further because the shapeshifting was just mind blowing ! It actually reminded me of Terminator 2 : Judgement Day but in a more disturbing way. As for The Matrix-like walking on the wall it was quite surprising ! Also the actress was convincing in her dual role and it also applies to the guest playing the scientist. Discovering things through the eyes of Peter is also quite promising. From the new breed of shapeshifters to all the rippled characters the journey was exciting. As always the episodic story also served the main one so it proves that Fringe has merged the best of both worlds and its format should be a model for future productions. The reunion between Peter and Walter was also quite moving and I'm glad the writers made the second not to repeat the same mistake as his other personas. So it's intriguing to determine who will trust Peter enough to help him. Olivia ? Probably but when it comes to the show there're an infinite number of possibilities to consider. Still the Fringe Division security system is cheap and Broyles and his team left Peter way too much freedom. It would have been far much more interesting and thoughtful to see him struggle for a few episodes. Last but not least it was nice to have the vintage typewriter back and I can't wait for the shapeshifters to arrive. I'll be back !

Note : This review was first posted on Kritikenstein, my weblog.

• After spending a few weeks away from Fringe—and even longer away from Peter Bishop—it's tempting to treat the return of both as a cause for raucous celebration, regardless of the content of the actual episode.

But "Novation" isn't exactly a powerhouse; it's more explanatory and less sensational, designed to explore the immediate ramifications of Peter's inconvenient reappearance, and to set up some of what's to come. Next week's Fringe, from the comercials,looks likemore of a wow. "Novation," on the other hand, is more sinew and bone than muscle.

But it's well-structured sinew and bone, I'd say. I particularly appreciated the way the writers—along with Joshua Jackson—handled Peter's reintegration into the Fringe Division family. I've always hated the It's A Wonderful Life approach to alternate realities, where the George Bailey of the story refuses to grasp that he's in a different world and instead runs around like a lunatic, shouting, "Mary, don't ya know me?!" Peter doesn't do that. He very quickly figures out that this isn't exactly the same world he left, and so he goes along with the program. Peter then adjusts his plan as needed. Early on, he figures that if he can just get Walter alone in a room, he can explain everything and his brilliant, intuitive father will grasp it. Instead, when Peter starts talking about the machine the binds the universes and the Observer who saved his life as a child, Walter freaks out. He's never heard of the Observers, and though he knows about the machine, he wasn't the one who built it. Peter quickly realizes that he's going to have to deal with the Walter that is, not the Walter he remembers.

"Novation" gets more into how Walter has changed. We find out that he hates Nina Sharp because he blames for the death of Peter-2, since she was there when he fell through the ice. And we find out that ever since both of his Peters died, Walter has been convinced that he doesn't deserve joy. He keeps mementoes of Peter scattered about to remind him of what a mistake he made, as a way of punishing himself. That's why it bothers Walter so much when he looks at the grown Peter and sees "the eyes of my boy in a man's face." It's a moment Walter's long imagined, and it makes him so happy he can't stand it.

Naturally, while all this angst is playing out, Fringe Division is handling a freak of the week. One of those new-model shape-shifters, last seen wearing the form of Nadine Park, has now disguised itself as the wife of Dr. Malcolm Truss, in order to access the files from Malcolm's Massive Dynamic experiments on cellular replication. The only problem is that Malcolm has recently separated from his wife, which means the man "Nadine" kills in the Truss' home is the wife's boyfriend, who knows nothing about any files. So Nadine travels to where Dr. Truss is now living, and kidnaps him, explaining him that she was a cancer patient who was cured using the techniques he came up with at Massive Dynamic, but that the cure needs a little tweaking.

The scenes between Malcolm and Nadine are much quieter and more complex than the typical Fringe freak interactions. Nadine tries to gain Malcolm's trust, not just by telling the cancer story but by encouraging him when he talks about getting back together with the wife that Nadine has already killed. Nadine also insists that the late William Bell was wrong when he shut down Malcolm's project, claiming that "some things are not ours to tamper with." Nadine disagrees, believing that Malcolm's work is genuinely important. But after the shape-shifter inadvertently changes identities during one of Malcolm's tests, the doc's confidence is shaken, and he tries to slip her a hypodermic full of a fluid that he claims will induce a state of permanent hyper-replication, but will actually induce fatal hemorrhaging. Nadine is not fooled. Thus ends a budding friendship.

And that's a problem, because as Peter figures out back at Fringe HQ, this new breed of shape-shifters is capable of switching between every identity they've ever taken, right down to their DNA, which makes them all-but-impossible to track. Sure enough, by the time the authorities arrive at Malcolm Truss' super-lab, the shape-shifter has parkoured its mercurial ass away from the scene, and has found its way to a secret spot where it can type a message to the other side, saying that it got what it needed from Malcolm. The response? "Begin preparation. We're sending the others."

So that's the set up for what's to come. But what I liked most about "Novation" was that within all the set-up and explanation, Fringe delves into something important. After Peter's first failure with Walter, he takes a second run at the old man, telling him that he knows what Walter's capable of, and that he's confident that Walter can figure out how to fix whatever they've screwed up. But all the while that Peter's saying that, there's a red light flashing in the background, and I seriously doubt that this light is merely an atmospheric piece of set design. It reminded me of "Nadine" telling Malcolm that he had to let his wife go so that he could pursue his amazing scientific breakthroughs. Embracing destiny requires sacrifice. Just as Malcolm had to lose his marriage to lend aid—however inadvertently—to the other side, so Walter maybe had to lose Peter to prevent the other side from winning. After all, to date, his meddling has only made things worse. "Some things are not ours to tamper with," as William Bell once said.

And yet, here's Peter, craftily re-wiring the communication box in his cage so he can hear what's going on outside, and smartly offering suggestions about how to beat the shape-shifters by studying their memory discs. Why is Peter back? Who tampered with what? And what will he and Walter nearly destroy this time?