Fringe

Os

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 11, 2011 on FOX

• Fringe: 316 Os

Before the episode had no idea. He read the two letters but did not leave anything in fact leave the associations poor sorcerer, not that of the, but of Oz. And so was the side that almost went to the other side. With just two little letters to then write the chemical symbol of osmium, a very dense metal transition.

It associated with another one, also high density, forms an element lighter than air. This is what the mad scientist of the week (Alan Ruck) found. By chance. Now use that sort to try again offer the floor to his paraplegic son. To this end injects the mixture into several boys with the same disability and they float, fly and die. Until a cure is perfect.

That's how you start one more oddity, who mixed the pain of solitary "White Tulip" and harm universal "6B". However, he could not have the genius of the first nor the second sobriety. While they managed to cleverly disguise if the factor of the week, "Os" drags a bit in the requirement of passing, running, to show. And the premise was strong, could have been used several mechanisms, different devices to fill the eye. But no: the action scenes were weak and the reasons for the formation of the lightest element that was inserted into the air hammer. When you do not know, blame the anomalies between the two universes. Enough is enough.

Nothing much to say about an episode that was a huge launching pad for the final twist: the fact that Bell (Leonard Nimoy) incarnated in the body of Olivia (Anna Torv). Yes, this was not even waiting for! Jawed face and weird at the time of her strange accent, greets Peter (Joshua Jackson). He, who had just opened the game for his beloved. This opens up a whole crazy surprise field of possibilities, reminding those more relaxed and destrambelhados episodes of "The X Files". I like it, "Fringe" needs to show that it is elastic enough to offer everything. And now that little bell on the end of the season wins a whole other meaning.

The Best: The end, of course.

The Worse Case of the week just grabbed everything else.
  • Mind of the Imagination

Fringe keeps getting more creative in their episodes which is amazing. I never seen nothing like this and to put science behind it that causes this stuff is incredible. Peter and Olivia looks great together their starting to open more and more towards each other which is great. Walter is hilarious in this episode especially when he rings the bell expecting dr. bell to be Nina lol. Great episode and turn of events especially at then. The part where Walter and Jorge Garcia formally from Lost now in Alcatraz smoking weed from the bong watching security monitors was pretty cool.
  • It should never have worked.

But then why did it? That's one of the many questions during this entertaining hour of Fringe science. Let's review.
    First, Walter and Hurley equals high-larious (please excuse the corny pun). When those two are smoking marijuana, you are due to get some plentiful laughs. As well as our LOST guest star, this episode also featured a lot of Nina, which is always good. We haven't seen her for a while.
    Now lets get to the case-of-the-week. There was some interesting camera work into play as we see two thieves climbing up a building. Or so it seems. Using some upside-down trippy Walter vision, the thieves are actually climbing down so they don't get sucked into the air because they can, after all, float. A security guard shows up, and one of the thieves escapes, but one gets left behind. The security guard shoots him, and he goes floating into the air, only stopped by his rope that's tied to the ground. And then the Fringe team shows up.
    The Observer was very hard to spot this week. I didn't catch him the first time around (but of course, I never do) and even when I looked at a screen cap on the Internet, I still had trouble finding him. Don't be shy, baldie! Show yourself!
    Since they've gotten over their relationship problems in "6B", Peter and Olivia are now a happy, giddy couple. I understand them, but it is some seriously creepy stuff. I haven't seen Olivia this happy since she was with John Scott in the pilot. And the conversation about back massages…uggh. I hope this doesn't last long. During this episode, I found it hard to believe Alan Ruck playing something other than Cameron Frye. I felt that we were watching Ferris Bueller 2, where Cameron goes bad and kills people or something. But he did do a great job at portraying this week's villain.
    There was a nice action sequence in the museum, although we knew that guy was never going to float away. And he didn't, thanks to a sweet dive made by Peter. With them hitting and shattering that glass display, Peter is going to be needing a wheelchair next.
    There were some great scenes with Walter and Nina. When she said "Because you can't," when Walter questioned about if he would fail or not, I swear I thought they were going to kiss. That would be creepy. And the ending...I figured with all the talk about William Bell in this episode that he would probably appear, but did anyone expect him to appear like that? Wow.
    Overall, this was one of the more interesting case-of-the-week episodes. It had a storyline that I particularly was interested in. And there was plenty of character development embedded into the case. It was another filler, although it didn't seem like it.
  • A move that could make or break the season

Just when it felt like the third season of "Fringe" could do no wrong, they toss us an episode that not only feels like a step backwards, but also introduces a plot element that leaves me uncertain in my opinion. Yet in the end, I'm left wanting to see how it all pans out, so I suppose the writers have done what they intended to do.

First, the majority of the episode, which felt like a step back into all-too-familiar first season territory. The case itself really didn't have much to do with current events, it seems, and so it felt more connected to The Pattern than the war between universes. If anything, it felt like an episode inspired by "Inception" and its gravity-defying effects. Granted, there was some actual science hidden in the plot, wrapped in the usual fringe concepts, but it just didn't seem all that involving.

The subplot with Walter and Nina was a lot more interesting, and it was good to see Walter's deeper connection to Massive Dynamic mined for more plot gold. There are aspects to the Nina character that still beg for exploration, and this seems like a natural way to keep her in the story. It's so natural that it felt like a great way to bring some of William Bell's knowledge and theory into the plot without the need for William Bell.

Of course, that's not how it panned out. I was wondering how they would counter-balance Peter's desire to be with Olivia now that they are together, and this is apparently how it will happen. If I were Peter, I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with a woman possessed by William Bell either. The voice alone is creepy. It's like Olivia is trying to be Batman. I suspect this is a way to get Bell back into the story for some necessary exposition without bringing Leonard Nimoy into the picture for an extended period of time as well, but this could be pushing things to the very brink.

Let's set aside the contradiction of Walter exploring the notion of "soul magnets" and Bell's survival after physical death, when a couple episodes ago, ghosts were out of the question in his mind. (After all, everything in "6B" should have served to reinforce his feelings on the matter.) I just don't think this is a good plot twist. I'm not sure they can pull it off without it being ridiculously silly in execution. And that's the last thing "Fringe" needs right now.

It all comes down to the next episode, where we will apparently see a lot more of the Bell-possessed Olivia. Anna Torv has been asked to pull off some subtle and amazing performances this season, but this is going to be the most challenging.
  • The "mythology" of this series is becoming very dense; you have to pay close attention to, often simultaneous occurrences, one which furthers the mystery of colliding universes, and the other, a standalone mystery.

This episode was illustrative of this; Walter trying desperately to stop the widening vortex, and feeling that he is not capable, while offering assistance into a fringe mystery. The mystery involves an aeronautical engineer, experimenting with dense metals, to find a way for his crippled son to walk again. This was less interesting than the seemingly simple things Walter kept trying, in order to communicate with Bell. It was wonderful that in the end it was a simple ringing of "the bell", that brings back Bell's spirit. And once again it is the stalwart, Olivia, who has to transform, in the service of the Fringe division.
  • Os...

If there is one thing that Fringe does monumentally well it's cliffhangers. This week's "Os" had one of the best that you're likely to see. Beginning with a confusing bit of camera work, "Os" sees a robbery gone wrong bring the Fringe team together to try and solve a mystery of gravity.

There's the usual amount of disgusting science along the way as Walter ponders how combining some of the heaviest elements on earth with a human being gives them the ability to float. As is par for the course in any mind bending episode of Fringe, there's a scientist with a motive behind the weird and wonderful once again, perhaps one of the more innocent that we've seen in Fringe's run. Trying to give his disabled son the ability to walk, sacrifices in terms of lives are made along the way and his quest ultimately finds him behind bars.

Whilst most of the episode is taken up by this case it is actually more of a secondary story as far as importance goes. When unable to discover why heavy makes light, Walter muses that "our" universe is beginning to fall victim to his trip 25 years ago, as he has feared throughout the season, however this time, he knows how to stop it.

Using the much alluded to "soul magnets" (coolest sounding thing ever?) Walter believes that he can bring back William Bell's consciousness and that together, he and his former partner will be able to stop the downfall of the universe. Enter the last minute of the episode. In the interest of full disclosure, Peter brings Olivia to his lab in which he is trying to discover more about the machine that is set to destroy one of the universes, whilst at the same time Walter activates what he believes to be William's soul magnet. Needing a vessel to take, what we can only assume to be William's consciousness then, for lack of a better term, possesses Olivia and forces a Leonard Nimoy impression out of Anna Torv.

Whilst in of itself the ending wasn't thunderously dramatic, if you could find a better way to make me want to see where the hell Fringe is going as it pushes towards the end of this season, then you must have written Inception. I now only pray that Fringe can take advantage of its time slot competitor Supernatural taking a spring break, given that at least some of the audience is likely to be a fan of both shows, and boost up it's numbers to get the renewal it deserves.
  • Did NOT see that coming, whoa!

A pretty interesting weekly mystery that tied into to the bigger story. The weekly mystery was pretty sad - what wouldn't we do to help heal our children; how far would we go? Well some would go too far, that's for sure.

So once the bad guy is caught, Walter asks him how he was able to make the impossible happen. Even though the bad guy is incredibly smart, Walter realizes it couldn't have happened the way it did, unless the unraveling universes thing affected the outcome.

So that gets Walter thinking about a theory he read, wondering if the unraveling universe thing might enable the impossible so this theory Walter wants might happen.

Well it does, and in the most interesting way too.
  • Os

Os was a perfect and entertaining episode of Fringe. I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a great story, character and plot development, and a few surprises. I thought the gravity defying element story was awesome and well written. It was interesting to see Peter and Olivia having an adult relationship and full disclosure. Walter makes a shocking discovery that leads to a cool surprise. The characters all shined in their parts and the story flowed perfectly. This episode showcases the creativity, originality and quality production of the series. I look forward to watching the next episode of Fringe!!!!!!!
  • Baby steps...

What a father wouldn't do to see his child happy? For Walter, that means to save the entire Universe, for Broyles it meant to help a fugitive cross over once, for Peter it means learn to accept his child, even if that child is the grown-up father who parentalized him.

...for one Dr. Krick, trying to help his son walk again, to see his child happy meant to defy gravity itself.

However, we must not forget the laws of nature exists for a reason, even if the unforseen result of Walter meddling with the Universe is the defiance of natural laws themselves. For no matter how baddly men wish to make their children happy, nature is also a mother in itself and, just like Krick's son tells him, a mother can always accept their children are happy just the way they are.
  • 3/11

Now this was an episode of Fringe. Action-packed, a little comedy thrown in and a nice "OMG" moment at the end. Yes, that is an "OMG" moment, not something Gossip Girl would do. Fringe has been missing these shocking endings since the first season. This had the feel of the early episode where Olivia saw her dead husband in the apartment as the show faded to black.

There was also a little comedy thrown in there as well, and of course a licorice reference!

This was pretty much a great episode of the sci-fi show. I just worry that it might be too little too late.
  • A climactic slow-burn, but still a hit...

A few minutes into this episode of Fringe, I thought for a short while it would be the first of the season I would easily dismiss. That until Walter, talking to Nina Sharp, innocently said:
    "Peter and Olivia, I thought you knew, they are a couple now."
    That is when I remembered Olivia taking Peter "upstairs" and realized we had no idea how that turned out.
    I immediately forgot the not-so-remarkable opening scene and was ready to sit through any case, hoping to be rewarded with some well crafted Peter and Olivia moments.
    The case - though by no means the best, turned out to be better than I expected, centered around a scientist experimenting on young men confined to wheelchairs. He injected them with a compound in large part made of Osmium (symbol Os, hence the title) a very dense element which when combined with another super dense brethren paradoxically made the subjects defy gravity, floating like helium balloons.
    Fringe pseudo-science is rarely an issue for me (except maybe for emotional quantum entanglement!) so I was fine, all the while enjoying every minute of Peter/Olivia interactions which we had in spades.

Where to start?
    I liked Olivia smiles and the way she was relaxed up until the very last scene - but that we will discuss later.
    It was obvious we were watching Olivia and not Fauxlivia. There was nothing alluring or calculated. It made the relationship easy, so when they started discussing full-disclosure we were ready.
    I believe that in the hands of less talented writers, the full-disclosure subject would have become a sword of Damocles over the relationship for several episodes. Here it was elegantly used in less than half an episode to segue from love and trust to Peter's questionable actions few weeks ago. This goes to show Fringe is no romance, although love is center to the story...

It was funny to see how pleased Walter was. His son had a girlfriend every father would be proud of, which brings us back to the case that touched on fatherhood, another perennial 'sub-theme' in Fringe. The reason why our scientist worked so hard to defy gravity was his son, himself confined to a wheelchair. What is heartwrenching is that upon learning of his father's deeds, the son understandably thought the motive was disappointment: "Is it how you see me? Something that needs fixing?"
    On a different note, showing the initial floating thieves point of view when they were trying to get to their weighted boots was neat. The kind of small touch that makes me use brilliant when referring to the writers.

As Fringe seems now unable to do without double duties, the apparent complexity of the case pushed Walter to pursue his quest for ways to improve his grasp of things, which culminated in him summoning late William Bell's soul in the most unexpected way. The writers just couldn't resist using a bell to bring back Bell, but they deserve kudos for "planting" the instrument very early in the season.

I found two details interesting:
    Walter and Nina both used Peter's point of view when commenting on the romance.
    Nina (to Peter): "I must say I think you have made a very wise decision to go forward".
    The thing is he didn't. Going upstairs was never his decision to make but hers...

Olivia was open and easy through the whole episode until the very end when she understood how Peter got the shapeshifters data storage units. There we saw a veil over her face, the haunted Olivia returning? I wonder which Olivia (happy-in-love or wounded-and-mistrustful) we will get when William Bell leaves, which he will and should do as quickly as possible given who he has chosen to inhabit.
  • Someone's playing Icarus, Walter misses a friend and rings a bell

Not one of the most important episodes of the season, but a good one anyway. The case of the week was nicely done, with enough twists and turns to keep it interesting ( even if the "laws of physics are broken" was a bit of a lazy explanation, but since it ties into the main mythology, I'll accept it this time ) and some great visuals ( have you seen Peter catching the thief at the end ? ). I also appreciated the parallels between Walter and the "villain" of the week : two brilliant scientists ready to break the laws of physics for the happiness of their sons, and both with catastrophic results. The prison scene, with Peter and Walter watching, made my eyes a little wet, since both of the guest actors carried the emotion quite well. Also, I like that the new status for Peter and Olivia is acknowledged, but without too much emphasis ... and I was overjoyed when Peter decided to confess about the shapeshifter murders : at least, their relationship won't be poisoned by secrecy, as I had feared after "Reciprocity". We still don't know how Olivia will react, thanks to one of the show's best cliffhangers ( I'm already liking Anna Torv as Bell, she captures Leonard Nimoy's phrasing quite well ), but at least, he has come clean, which should be a point in his favor. What more can I say ? John Noble was awesome as always, it's always a bonus to have a lot of Nina ... and how cool was it to see Hurley again so soon ? He had a good chemistry with Walter, let's hope he'll pop up again in the next episodes, dude !
  • A topsy turvy episode with a surprise ending that will either leave your spine tingling or your shark jumping.

For fans of 'Lost' the beginning of this episode will cement this episode as an instant favourite as it features none other than Jorge Garcia (Hurley) making a brief appearance as a security guard at Massive Dynamic. The scene with him and Walter watching the surveillance monitors while high is great and also leads Walter to discover the office of William Bell. Initially this seems unconnected to the main Fringe event in the episode though as the story progresses the threads start to come together.

After this discovery Walter, Peter and Olivia are called to the scene of a burglary where a thief has been shot and unlike most dead thieves has started to float away. At first it seems like a novel idea for a fringe event but evolves into a gripping story about a scientist trying to find a cure for his wheelchair bound son. The father, Dr. Krick, is played by Alan Ruck (of Ferris Bueller's Day Off fame though firmly in serious mode here) who has discovered a combination of elements which creates weightlessness. The element in question is Osmium the densest on Earth. Walter can't figure out how he did but at the main story's conclusion it turns out its an effect of the two universes fall apart at the seams.

During the investigation Walter revisits the idea of 'Soul Magnets' in a desperate attempt at contacting William Bell. While this seemed like a very awesome idea that was only mentioned in the previous episode as a kind of joke it turns out to be central to the plot and at the end of the episode Walter finds the trigger (Bell's bell) which summons his soul to Olivia's body. This turns out to be one of those classic Fringe moments, like the appearance of Walternate, which came completely out of the blue though has clearly been set up for a while and I thought it was a great device to get Walter and Bell back together, albeit through the vessel of Olivia (which must be quite a turn off for Peter). Anna Torv's acting was strong enough to pull this off without it seeming unintentionally comical but the episode ended before we got to see any interaction between her/him and Walter. Apart from the really radical shift in her character at the end this episode featured a much different Olivia, one who smiled a lot more, it will be interesting to see how long it lasts for.

The cinematography is noteworthy in this episode, the buoyant bodies and their various degrees of floatiness were convincingly shot, especially the scene near the end where Peter leapt onto the floating assistant of Dr. Krick.

What was cool about this episode was that it managed to sandwich a great 'monster of the week' type story in-between a great comic moment and an epic twist that only Fringe could pull off. Of course to some this episode might be seen as jumping the shark for the series but for me it was just aces.