Fringe

FOX (ended 2013)

Gislef

Fringe Fan Reviews (352)

• This show is on the fast track to cancellation!

This show started off strong and has increasingly shown the badges of the poorer elements of LOST. The writers and producers are falling back into their dithering ways. It is no surprise the show was moved to Friday night. That is its last stop before cancellation. I watched every episode up until tonight. I was seriously holding back puke when they started up on this whole angle of "which universe survives depends on which Olivia Peter chooses" bubble gum crap. Wait.. I think I just threw up a little.. OK, I'm better now. The arrival of William Bell's spirit in Olivia was too much. Her creaky, old man voice is probably some of the worst acting I've seen in the entire series. It's done. I can't stomach another episode of this junk. J.J. Abrams and his crew are selling poop and I won't sit through another minute of it. I guarantee this show gets cut after this season or sometime in the middle of the next.
  • Dullest show on TV.

1.5
    I'm not sure what's worse about this show, the characters or the script, but each episode is even duller than the previous one. The dynamics of the characters are not working and the story lines are far from gripping. Within the first 15minutes you find yourself switching over.

I not surprised the show is losing rating, X-Flies was great in it's time, but this formula has been done to death now and FOX need to think about doing a new concept. The fact that the writers are pairing Olivia and Peter together shows they don't have faith in their work, the programme would be stronger if it focused on the cases rather than chemistry within the actors.
  • tries to copy X-Files, but badly.

Since I boycott FOX I hadn't seen the show previously, but when it came out on DVD I was curious enough to view it.

It's like someone decided to copy X-Files but did it badly. Like they didn't get what made the show interesting.
    I think one of the things that most annoys me is that they're making up fake science and claiming things can be done that can't. It's a small distinction, I grant you but it does make a difference to me.
    In X-Files, they took paranormal situations and examined them with real science - so the only silly part was whether you could believe that Aliens existed and all these crazy things might happen.
  • Olivia no longer the star - so disappointing!!!

I'm on the final few episodes of season 3 and won't be buying season 4. What was so great about Fringe is that it centred around a confident, intuitive, clever, mysterious, likeable action-heroine 'Olivia'... Then somewhere along the way (I don't know, maybe the show got too popular & they thought "oo well we better make a man the centre of attention like most shows on tv...." and Peter became the centre of attention... Suddenly he's the smart, action-hero, working everything out and saving the day and Olivia's just this silent, dumb-question-asking side kick... And Olivia is such a strong, amazing actress - I can't believe what they've done.. It happened on & off in series 2 but they made up for it towards the end... but season 3, honestly how could you go so so very very wrong????
  • Itching to watch a show filled with uninteresting characters who display no common sense or intelligence? This is the show for you!

Watching this show is a waste of 1.5 hours of your life. There is not one original moinute of programming, and if you cannot predict the shockingly unsurprising plot twists then you have either not watched a lot of television or should not be allowed to vote in national elections.

If you want to save some time in your life, here's a quick summary:

I missed the first few minutes of the show (Well, I wouldn't say that I "missed" them, to borrow a line for Office Space), but joined in time to watch two FBI agents following a suspect in a freight yard. The suspect causes an explosion that knocks the female FBI agent out, but strangely fails to cause substantial concussive harm to her male companion, who seemed to be at pretty much the epicenter of the blast. It does, however, cause the male agent to sugger from a nasty skin condition.

Some random stuff happens and suddenly the female agent (whose name I don't remember, and frankly don't care to try and remember. I'll call her "Sue" for future reference.) decides that she needs to go find some genius guy with "an IQ of 190".

So we see the genius guy negotiate a $600,000 deal in multiple languages, yet he is not bright enough to see a terrible bluff from 1000 miles away. Here's a tip, if the FBI has you over a barrel they'll just start in with that, not beg you for help. Here's another tip, real FBI agents who are really working usually travel in pairs, display credentials, and don't seem like they are on the verge of tears.

The genius guy (we'll call him "Bob") and Sue go back to find Bob's dad, who is some kind of insance scientist, only he's crazy like a fox!

Stupid stuff happens and they catch the guy from the first scene. More random stuff happens and the bad guy tells Sue that he taped the interrogation and buried the tape in the yard. Sue believes this because she is an idiot and doesn't remember that the police usually search suspects before they interrogate them.

More stupid stuff happens, there's a random scene where Sue mind melds with her blown-up boyfriend, then her boyfriends gets better and kills the bad guy, but not in a good way. Then, because Sue and bob want to get it on, or at least have some sexual tension, the boyfriend dies. Thank god, cuz that would have been awkward. Except he's only "mostly dead", so whatever.

The plot was predictable, the dialog laughable, and the acting performed by spasmatic monkeys with less emotional complexity than my Nintendo DS.
  • dragging on too long and it no longer makes any sense

4.5
    i thought this season would have been a perfect chance for them to finish the whole fringe story properly. but hell no...

walter bishop is great and so is nina sharpe. everyone else are not quite so good... too long. have a graceful death. like hero. it would be much better than keeping something in old age alive for too long!
  • J.J., you lost me on this one, buddy.

5.5
    Haven't seen the ratings, but I can't believe we'll see much more of Fringe. Big fan of J.J. Abrams that I am, Fringe is a bit too disjointed for me. I just never cared enough about the characters. None of the actors has the charisma of J.J.'s previous/current stars Jessica Alba, Jennifer Garner and Matthew Fox.

In my opinion, killing off the boyfriend so soon was a mistake. I kind of like that guy, ex-soap actor that he is, and if we had gotten to know Olivia better through their relationship, I might be persuaded to give a rip about her. And personally I think every show needs a good undercurrent of sexual tension that I'm just never going to buy between Olivia and Peter.
  • I love this show with one exception. And I wonder if others feel the same. The actress who plays Olivia, I don't even know her name, drives me absolutely crazy with her over-enunciation and excrutiatingly irritating mannerisms.

5.5
    I love this show with one exception. And I wonder if others feel the same.
    The actress who plays Olivia, I don't even know her name, drives me absolutely crazy with her over-enunciation and excrutiatingly irritating mannerisms. She has a very strange body language of literally sticking her neck out - often hands akimbo on hips, sticking her head out like a turkey, in and out. (I think this originated with Jessica Simpson. It's unbelievably annoying and weird, and this actress does it in a holding pattern.)

Her speech is in hard drive - every 'd', 't', and hard consonant over-enunciated to the point of being like chalk squealing on the blackboard.

She has a compadre on the show In Plain Sight. That starring actress has the exact same weird turkey body language. Another crime show. Another long, straight, blonde haired actress with massively weird mannerisms.

I am baffled at this sudden appearance on t.v. of such bizarre body language in female leads. And just want to shut this actress up when she clucks on her 't's and 'd's like she's trying to purr-fect her speech, so she sounds like an irritating robot. Send her to a speech coach so she can learn to speak like a real person! And for the love of God, get her to hold her head high, not stuck out like some bait on a stick. Ick!
  • Season 5 sucks

I must admit, that since Season 5, i begin to dislike the show. First four seasons were fantastic, but now i'm even considering to stop watching it. :(
  • Not going to miss it

Very disappointed by this last season...

We lost Olivia, so smart and brave before.

Seems that all the characters are still trapped in amber ...

• First saw this show when it was called The X-Files

What a disappointment to see a show completely rip off the X-Files. Just because you use splenda instead of sugar in your brownie mix, doesn't mean the brownie is going to taste that much more different. The plot twists and characters are one-dimensional. Joshua Jackson reprises his role once again as a smart mouth in your face hipster, a delight if I was a teenie bopper who ga-ga'd when Dawson's Creek came on TV, a vomit fest for an adult with some taste. All in all, watch the X-Files for some quality on the edge "fringe" action if your in the mood for some good television.
  • Ridiculous, waste of time

I am a huge fan of XFiles, I like Lost a lot. But wait, this show is starting right now, 2008... It is totally sucking ideas from XFiles, the shame is, XFiles got them first, and used them to the extremity. And even then, I would close my eyes on this, if there was some sort of sense into it. But the show is full of stupid mistakes, inconsistencies, impossibilities... I never got to believe anything I have seen, no emotion. Maybe I have seen it all in XFiles, but then, Im probably not the only one. Avoid this show, watch something decent, or read a book
  • Horrible sci-fi show, great comedy!

2.5
    I am not sure why people have given this show good reviews. I watched the pilot and was literally crying I was laughing so hard at the absolute stupidity of the show. The FBI girl gets a crazy person out of a mental institution to help her save her boyfried, and then he makes all of these ridiculous demands which she actually does (i.e. he wants a cow delivered to his lab, his lab is on Harvard property but no one at Harvard seemed to want to use that lab for the last however many years the crazy guy was locked away, she had no problem having him strip her naked and dump her into dirty water, etc. etc. etc.)! No one at the FBI seems to care that this crazy guy just released from the mental institution is being allowed anywhere near the sick FBI guy (I would have thought the FBI might have had some kind of security protocols to follow in this kind of situation). The FBI girl picks up the Dawson's Creek guy from Baghdad using the private FBI jet. Then she somehow manages to capture the man behind this horrible terrorist attack in less than 24 hours with minimal (I would actually say no) support from the FBI or CIA and her boss tells her "We're impressed". Well DUH!! Come on, I felt like I was getting stupider and stupider just watching this garbage, but I did watch the whole thing because I laughed out loud at just about every scene (although the funny scenes really didn't start until they went to Baghdad)! I don't think it was their intent to be this funny but I actually thought it ranked up there with my other favirote comedy shows. Because of the good laughs I raised my review from a 1 to a 2.5, but purely as a sci-fi drama I predict that this show won't last past a third episode.
  • Fascinating, at first. Good mystery. Good characters. BAD BAD BAD photography. Too much shaky cam. Too jerky. Too many jump cuts. Nauseating result, unrelated to content.

3.5
    I want to like this show. I like the premise. The mystery is good, so far. The actors are decent. The writing is fine. No faux pas.

What IS wrong with this show?
    It is unwatchable. The photography is horrid.
    Shaky, hand held camera work.
    Jump cuts.
    The result is nauseating. In short, it becomes unwatchable. That defeats the purpose of television, doesn't it?

Idiots who are in charge of photography should be fired! TV needs to be compelling, not repelling.

Whoever told them that a story is improved by making the high definition image into a low definition blurred mess, or cuts that aren't in sync with the actors dialog, need to be re-educated. Preferably sent back to the 1940s or 1950s.
  • Worst show Ever !!

Show presents itself as an updated X-Files , even the opening credits are very similar , the story lines to date could just as easily have been X-Files episodes , sadly thats where the similarity ends.

Some of the poorest scripts you could hope to see , riddled with cliché's and massive plot holes. The acting is passable , but only just , but then when they have to deliver that quality of script , you must have some sympathy.

This must be one of the flashiest shows ever made , special effects and flourishes in every scene , its just painful to watch , the actors & storyline take a back seat to allow the fancy effects to dominate the screen.

I really can't think of anything positive to say about the show , the storyline as I mentioned above are interesting enough, but when they are laced with shockingly poor scripts , and wrapped up with flashy effects, they are lost.

ANNA Torv who is suppose to be the leading actress of the show has given the terrible performance one could ever imagine, She is always acts WOODEN and her Weird expressions as if she is Constipating all the time adds upto the misery of the show , The only saving Grace of the show that i consider is the Mad scientist and his son played by JOSHUA JACKSON (which always reminds me of Mighty ducks) their acting is upto the mark and their characters are well written

The main problem of this show is in the Writing department the stories are very weak and seems to be Far fetched

i would recommend Viewers to watch the Best and Classic show ever to deal with Paranormal stuff " The X-files " from the scratch or if your looking for new Material.... i would recommend " Supernatural ' another great show
  • I really wanted to like Fringe. I have watched all the episodes aired so far, and have really tried to find something positive about them. Sure the production is great, but the plot feels very shallow.

I am a big fan of sci-fi and when I heard that JJ was making a new series with sci-fi elements I was filled with joy. Trust me I have tried so hard to like this series but it is simply unwatchable anymore. To be honest each episode feels completely the same. Watching each episode certainly made me feel like all the concepts were mentioned before in the X-Files or The 4400. The only good thing about the show is the production, which is what we should expect from JJ. Other than that there is nothing positive about this show. I honestly have given up on watching Fringe, hopefully it will improve for those of you that are still watching. But from what ive seen so far I dont think viewers should have high hopes!
  • Have you ever seen a cheesy horror flick or low-budget sci-fi movie that made you laugh it was so bad? Yeah, it's like that.

It's not uncommon in modern television to have a show premised on the idea of a chain of highly abnormal events. "The X Files" connected these with the logical understanding that the government covers up it's own screwups and things that might scare the public. "Heroes" drives this with a genetic mutation coming to rise that gives people extraordinary powers. "Fringe" chocks it up to a mysterious phenomena that even those in the know no nothing about called 'The Pattern,' hoping it will pique our curiosity and draw us into the saga.

And if Fringe was a good show, it might, but it's not, and it doesn't. It deigns to be intriguing, but is so poorly executed that getting engrossed for more than two minutes would be a challenge. The plots themselves are not entirely terrible - absurd, of course, but there have been sucessful shows with worse - but it's hard to get far enough to care when your characters are so godawful it's hard to take them for human.

For this fact, there is plenty of blame to go around. Blame J.J. Abrams, for backstories that are supposed to be interesting, but just aren't. Blame the writers, for flat dialogue which shares it's false sense of urgency with every bad sci-fi B movie. Blame the actors, for atrocious overacting of flat personalities across the board. So far the guest stars have all been more interesting (and believable) to watch, including "Amblance Driver #2." That's never good.

The best way to describe it all is "campy," which covers not only the unbelievable characters but also the gratuitous blood and high-pitched screaming and cheesy, ominous background music.

I'm reminded of a short-lived show called "The Chronicle." The premise was that a discredited journalist goes to a supernatural-themed tabloid only to find out all of their stories were true. That show had the wisdom to present as a comedy, and let us laugh as our ridiculous reporters when from farcical event to farcical event, playing fools for our amusement. Even then, the show was canceled in less than a dozen episodes. "Fringe" should suffer an even faster demise, because camp without intent isn't dramatic or comedic; it's just plain tragic.
  • A "seen-it-before" show that tries to cover its lack of interesting characters with fancy 3D letter effects. Characters are unoriginal caricatures who must deal with overly forced "plot-twists" that the writers thought would be interesting.

First two episodes introduce you to a number of characters who with standard hollywood "baggage" in order to give them motives to move the plot along, and to provide the writers devices for future plot-twists.

Plot appears very unoriginal, with an "evil corporation" trying to hide things from the government, and questionable government characters who appear to be somewhat complicit in all the evil-doings.

Silly leaps-of-reality are required for the audience to buy into, even when unnecessary for the overall plot -- such as a complete auto-pilot mode for an airplane that even includes landing the plane! This type of minor nonesense does nothing for the shows believability, and actual undermines the overall believability of their "fringe science".

Nevertheless, I will continue watching with the hopes that they actually are able to improve their characters as the actors gradually fix the inadequecy that the writers of this show have left them with. I guess I'm still a sucker for shows that introduce strange ideas regarding the near-future and potential technological advances. That, in and of itself, will probably save the show from being cancelled. This is the real reason Hollywood can continue to produce such garbage (and I reluctantly have to admit, that I am supporting this garbage by continuing to watch it!!!)
  • Poorly coiffed female FBI agent must work with googlie-eyed crazy scientist and his son to save her love and explore the mysteries that were better handled by Mulder & Scully over a decade ago.

Just because you slap "J. J. Abrams" on it, doesn't mean that it's any good. This guy gets a lot of credit as a creative genius, but I don't see it. Lost went downhill after season one and this show doesn't deserve to be aired on any network, even Fox. This is bad. Late night tv imported from Canada (no offense intended) bad. Bad acting, bad lighting, and horrible dream sequences. And the music!!! yikes. How did this get picked up???? Anna Torv, who plays Olivia Dunham is a horrible actress. John Noble, playing Dr. Walter Bishop, is just as ridiculous. Odd camera angles don't help anyone. I watched because someone compared it to the X-files. This show is nowhere near the X-files. Seeing the title credits, I had high hopes, but an hour into this pilot episode and I am thoroughly disgusted. Here comes the fake robotic arm!!!

Sadly, this form would not let me rate this a zero.
  • I feel like I'm watching a cremated, rained on, run over, and washed out version of the X-files. They think they've got a similar vibe going for them with their main characters, but it ends up being cheesy and sometimes even laughable.

I watched a couple of episodes, and at this point in time I'm saying that I don't see what the big deal is about this show. The two forgettable main characters are already showing signs of poor writing. I mean that sarcastic guy is not amusing, nor do his lands sound well written. The actor doesn't deliver them in a particularly natural fashion either. Nor does he seem particularly useful, and his skepticism often sounds more like "Duh, something weird is happening, I do not get it!" And don't get me started on the girl. How boring can she get? She tries to be angsty but the actress fails. Nor do I care about the dead guy she slept with. And then the bumbling doctor has some of the strangest lines I've heard in a while. "You have green eyes" uh, WTF, that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, but thanks anyway. It seems like a bunch of other sci-fi shows smashed together in a poorly written conglomaration of cheesy plots and oddly irrelevant lines. And what's up with the half apple, and the leaf, and frog and stuff? Or the damn three dimensional letters that are floating in the air? Someone needs to investigate that mess, it's supposed to be creative but it looks stupid as can be. I must say though, the special effects aren't bad. That one girl they pulled the eyeball out of...now that looked pretty cool.

All SpecialFX aside, I highly dislike this show. It's trying to be creative, but considering how Lost faired, I'm shocked Abrams produced this inferior product. I don't believe this is really reaching the skill level actually possessed by those working on the show. All in all, I may definitely change my mind as the larger story manifests itself, but for now, I think it stretched my "suspension of disbelief" a little to far.

Seriously, green eyes?
  • Well...

Well, it was nice. For two seasons. After that, it rolled basically the same thing. It didn't went the way it supposed to go. But hey, it's a good show.
  • Kinda confused...

Not quite sure what this show is about...
  • Continuity is the worst I've seen

I don't normally notice goofs but they were just so poor in this.

First in the scene where Peter goes through to the interrogation room, on one of the monitors you see him entering the room before he's even left the current one. Also at the end where Agent Scott is lying in her arms.. eyes closed eyes open eyes closed... And throughout especially the bit where she is in the water tank thing the people in the back ground are constantly moving and changing places. It actually confused me as I thought there were loads of people there. Just try and keep your eye on the female in the background. She's fast aint she.

All said and done I did enjoy it. Maybe it's just in the pilot. I will be watching more, I just hope it doesn't end up as a watch for the mistakes.
  • Good individual show with signs of an annoying trend.

The connection Olivia has with her increasing and her ever more interesting abilities is becoming better. I think to build suspense the writers are bringing this part of Olivia's story along slowly. The one thing I'm increasingly annoyed with is the constant and unnecessary initial reaction and uneasiness with the weird. There have been too many episodes of the beyond weird for anyone to not speak freely of something appearing not normal. Olivia could have told Broyles in the beginning what happened to her in the dream with the understanding that she would investigate it to find out. No more would have been needed given their background and previous cases. This annoying trend is something I've always seen with this type of show. I was hoping Fringe would finally make an adult play into the extraordinaire. Now I'm not sure.
  • Olivia finally remember her little trip to the other side and Charlie true identity is revealed.

I am really disappointed if not really angry at the end of that episode. I mean really! Whoever wrote that episode didn't think it through. Why? Because as soon as Dr Bishop discover that the nurse body wasn't the the shape-shifter's; Charlie's cover should have been blown wide open! After all he was the first one on the scene when the said body was found if not presumably the one who killed it!

I cannot believe that everyone didn't catch that big mistake there were no need for that high-tech gizmo to do that face reconstruction thing! It is a simple police deduction!
  • I love this show, i really do, but this new season, with the "elimination" of Peter from time it opened a lot of holes. It left the show looking like a swiss cheese, a lot of paradoxes were ignored.

For example, how could Bolivia switched with the real Olivia if they never went to their universe!! they only went there because of Peter... With no Peter, they had no reason to go there...

But wait, that lives us with another paradox, if Bolivia never went to there universe, then she never found the missing piece of the machine, therefor the machine was never started by Walternet!!

Another example is Walter. The only reason he checked out of the Hospital was because of Peter. Olivia had to drag Peter's ass so that Walter would Check out!!

With no Peter, no Walter!!!

I could go on and on with this paradoxes that were left out with no explanation. There is plenty more of those.

But, i guess i can ignore those holes for a little longer to see where the show will lead us...

• Ignored the previews. Decided weeks later to see it. BAM! Loves it! The Dr. makes me laugh.

Summary sums it up. I dont think its to be really funny, but I just laugh a lot at the crap that flies out the mouths of the characters. I love the weird scenarios they get into. It's like a mix of CSI and X-files. Weird crap happening and need to take all the steps necessary to figure it out. My boyfriend didnt want to take interest in the show either but I made him watch an episode and then he asked "can we watch another?". Precious, I know. I ask everyone to see an episode if they are into sci-fi drama and I bet they will love it.
  • It has potential, but its too soon to tell.

The show has definite potential, but I can't get over the fact that it is too close to the X-Files, which are big shoes to fill. It's still too soon to tell, but just based on the first episode it seems to me that this show follows the adventures of a group who are a pay grade above Mulder and Scully. In the X-files world, these guys would be the ones conducting the experiments. The conspiracy theories are based on what they did. Still, the first episode was interesting enough to get me to tune in next week, so i guess they did a well enough job.
  • I love it!

The show is original and engaging. The Bishop men get you from the start and keep you coming back for more. Dr. Walter Bishop is hilarious. He is part mad scientist / part 7 year old child. Peter Bishop is full of sarcasm and wit, and although he resents his father, he also shows time and again that he loves him. Olivia Dunham is an eerie, strong willed woman reeling over the loss of her love, who may or may not be a traitor. She makes you instantly care about her well being and you just want to be there for her to tell her everything will be alright. The plot lines are different than anything else on television right now. They make you think about what could happen in the near future (and even about what is currently happening). We rely so much on technology, but who is there to tell us to stop. What experiments are going on that we have no idea about?
  • Off the wall in the best possible way. Best new show of the season. JJ Abrams can do no wrong.

I officially love this show. I heard you're not supposed to judge a show by the pilot, because the pilot is never as good as the show is, because it serves as an introduction. However, based just on the pilot of Fringe, I knew I had found my new favorite show, well, after Lost. I am officially in love with Ana Torv. She kicks butt, and is super attractive. Awesome combination. She also has a subtle sense of humor. I don't always catch it. But its there. I swear.

The reason, however, that this show is a cut above the rest HAS to be Walter Bishop. Funniest character in a drama series since Hurley in Lost. He's just... awesome.

The whole cast is great, even though Lance Reddick is the scariest looking person I have ever seen. Just saying.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10