Fringe

Subject 13

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Feb 25, 2011 on FOX

• You could call it "Olivia begins"

This episode was a sequel to "Peter", but let me say, that, even with some really good scenes ( the shocking opening, the first time Olivia crosses over, and the tulip field ) , it's not exactly on the same level. "Peter" had some revelations ( about Nina's arm and the Observers' involvement, for instance ), this one ... not so much, except that Walter originally started the cortexiphan tests to bring Peter back home, and that Olivia unwillingly sparked the interdimensional war, which is interesting, but not exactly mind-blowing. What matters here is that we got origins stories for both Peter and Olivia. We see how she became the tough, doom-and-gloom woman we know. We see how he, too, was hardened by his ordeals, and in the tulip field scene, the boy looked so much like Joshua Jackson in the way he moves and talks it was weird. There are some nice nods to other episodes : "White tulip", obviously, Peter references the alternate comic book covers seen in "Over there" and Walter trains the children with the very same words he'll use in that same episode ... So, all in all, if the thrills weren't exactly there, the emotion was, particularly in the scenes with Peter and his mom, and, yes, even Walternate was touching in this one. But I was expecting some twists that never came.