Fringe

The Arrival

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Sep 30, 2008 on FOX

• Utterly confusing, but I think it will lead into something great

5.5
    It's hard to rate this episode because in my opinion, Fringe is this special type of series where it's better to rate the whole thing than every little piece of it. I will rate every single episode anway, so I have to say that this episode was beyond just confusing and made like the Walter Bishop character less, however I really enjoyed the mystery about the whole thing. I sincerely hope that this coalesces into a fantastic entirety. Still, the confusion was by far not the only flaw of this episode: never ending illogicality, blatant oddness and a crime, which by the end, nobody gives a shit about. The creators want to keep us watching with this crazy cliffhanger, which seems to make the show more complicated than it already is - after 4 freaking episodes!

I could rate this episode really bad because of all these things, but I won't because I believe in the show to become really entertaining eventually and I suspect that I'll like the stuff that just confuses me for now. Furthermore, it's good dialogues and fine acting.
  • The Arrival

"Another in a long line of questions," he says at one point of the episode Agent Broyles ("Lance Reddick"), perfectly summarizing the main feeling resulting from another episode of "Fringe" written by JJ Abrams, the third, which he never did for "Lost."

It is true that Abrams wrote little "Lost", but who see this episode easily notice that the basic formula, the "school" is the same, as in the end we were surrounded by a flurry of questions.

That cylindrical object was that? Where it came from? Where did it go? What do you do? Who is bald? Whence came those futuristic weapons?

Reportedly, the "bald" has some similarities with any character of any BD. As I am not BD player, I have no idea who he is. Only by what we are shown, it seemed like a character in the service of something "higher." A representative of any "higher power".

The best will even give it rest, not thinking much about it and hope that the answers come in a few years ...!? Maybe if Fox does not cancel the series however.

In relation to the episode itself, its beginning, although intriguing (odd, even), was not as exciting as the previous two. But if the interest in the other two episodes would be diluted as the minutes passed, this third volume the opposite happens. We have mystery, conflict, weapons and unconventional methods of torture, more mystery, we see more clearly where Peter (Joshua Jackson) can fit in all this and do not serve only as a babysitter to Walter (John Noble), breaches of trust, and end up with more mystery. Overall, a pretty solid episode made an interesting pace.

And, of course, the end could not have that typical cliffhanger that, despite being something that we would be waiting to see happen (eventually), it was still very interesting, leaving us with open appetite for the next chapter .
  • It just irks me that they stole so blatantly from one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

I wasn't too sure about this show to begin with, it felt like a slower, more cheesier, version of the X-Files. I'm the kind of person that doesn't stop watching a show after I see one episode of it, precisely why I still watch Heroes, and watched Charmed. I stuck with the show through three horribly slow uninvolved episodes, maybe they were bad because the show was thought to tank, who knows, but when the fourth episode began about an hour ago I felt a rush of nostalgia as "The Observer" brought back fond memories of the cheese filled, yet oh so charming, X-Files, the charming bit something this show lacked. I was finally interested and the show didn't drag on as it did before. It was more of a push and pull though, but what I would expect after the three prior failed attempts to woo me, I was a little apprehensive. It went well until it got to the scene when Peter attacked "The Observer" from out of nowhere, and this is the reason for me making an account and making a post that possibly no one will read. Peter and The Observer got into and Peter started yelling, then it turns that The Observer is copying everything Peter is saying (gasp!) then, what's this? Now Peter is copying The Observer, oh my! This might be shocking if I hadn't seen it before on the Doctor Who episode "Midnight" it just irks me that they stole so blatantly from one of the best sci-fi shows ever. Also find it odd that I found nothing on this around the internet, although a quick look on Google isn't much digging. Now it could all just be a big coincidence since the shows did only air a few months apart and all that jazz, so I'll give Fringe the benefit of the doubt and finish of the first season before I decide to give up on it entirely or catch up to where it is now.
  • Hello Liv.

This episode really brings on the Fringe mystery. The strange observer, is he even human? Father and son relationship, hints on the past. Why does the observer get involved and saves someone, only for the mysterious cylinder?What is the cylinder? How could Peter know something he didn't? And John, how can he call but not call and then show up? What did Massive Dynamic do to him? Is Olivia going nuts of stress?

Don't get me wrong, I loved the episode but it left me unsatisfied, no answers only questions. I would go mad if I didn't already have whole season on dvd. Now the next one. Yey!

• Better...

I had almost given up on this serie as after the promising pilot, I felt, everything else have been quite disappointing but no.. this episode tried to restore my faith.

I loved the way this had some kind of person meaning and connection to Peter and finding his purpose on this as we had settled reason for Olivia quite well.. It was not question about Walter but he was little bit of loose end and now they tied it. So.. that was good.

Also the case.. it was quite good. I mean, there was mystery, some leads, some answers and more questions.. And the ending was even more promising.
  • A mysterious cylinder arrives from underground in Brooklyn. Olivia recognizes the existence of the bald Observer. Walter hides the cylinder. Olivia and Peter must figure out where it is and what it is. Peter has a change of heart based on experiences.

Much clarification occurs if you can call it that. We still have as many or maybe more questions than before but we find out a lot more about Peter and Walter, their relationship changes, and Peter gets a lot of answers and opens his eyes to what is going on.

Peter was leaving but he has changed his mind based on the experiences in this episode. He's now committed to seeing whatever this is through. I believe his relationship with his father changes as well as his understanding. The bald man they called the Observer is more part of both of their lives than he ever knew.

Walter has to build his trust factor up with Astrid after betraying her for the good of everyone. That was not a very trusting way to do things and in the long run I think he is going to start to have to understand that.

For Olivia things have become even more complicated. She has killed another perpetrator and is being forced to extend herself way beyond the level I think she ever dreamed. I think she must be very tired about now and then she gets the shock of her life at the end of the episode.

A much needed episode after the clutter and cryptic messages from the previous episode. Not that we really understand more but we have more of a feeling of being part of the story and part of the team. As a viewer we are brought more in as participants and everything is not a new unsolved question. At least we are players in the game. I think this is going to be an integral part of keeping the viewers for this show. Thanks for reading...
  • This is the episode that I was waiting for - The episode that change your eyes and make you want to see the entire season.

After 3 episodes waiting to see what this series could offer I was losing any faith I had in this show, the mystery is not bad, we have connections, but there was things that didn´t convince me to make me want to see the entire season, but this episode for now changed that.

The beginning is very strong and super mysterious and the all episode follows that, what is more interesting in Walker involvement which added more mystery. Another thing that I liked is the fact that Peter had not reason to stay until this episode, which developed him in that way. The revelation by the end was very interesting and the last scene is simple shocking, make you want to see the next episode. The bold man is another great mystery, speaking of mysteries, the guns showed in this episode aren´t normal.

Overall, this is the first episode that I think that deserves a 9, the episode began strong and very mysterious and the development was superb.
  • What was an interesting curiosity is now absolute must see TV.

Well, wasn't that quite the complex episode of Fringe this week, ladies and gentlemen? Weird suppository-shaped metallic missiles that explode downwards, men with machines that can read minds and bald dudes who taste and feel very little, scribble alien gibberish on notepads and say what you're going to say before you say it. Slightly unusual, it might be said, to most of us but it's all in a day's work for J.J. Abrams, the man responsible for polar bears on tropical islands, monsters made of smoke that transmit electricity and tear men to pieces and, lest we forget, a 15th century engineer who foretold contemporary scientific advances. Now he's the author of what is, without a shadow of doubt, the best instalment of this series yet; an hour of entertainment so gosh darn odd that you just can't help but watch on in wonder as every layer of a decidedly dense puzzle is peeled, only to reveal another fifty or so beneath. And there isn't even a whiff of Massive Dynamic in sight. What there is is deliciously tense, however: threatening the lives of the central cast is an inspired decision, as is the refusal to provide explanation for a large proportion of the events. Do we know who The Observer is by episode's end? Do we hell. Are we any closer to understanding the purpose of the 'missile' or 'beacon'? Dream on, optimist. But all of this cryptic teasing only serves to enrich 'The Arrival', and Fringe itself, even more: it virtually guarantees that you'll return next week in an effort to ascertain some understanding of the situation. There's also the added bonus of the focus on Walter and Peter's somewhat fragile relationship, and it's handled beautifully. These are by far the best scenes John Noble and Joshua Jackson have had so far, as Noble is largely free from the 'wacky' comedy beats he normally has to attempt to convincingly portray, and is allowed more scope to explore the inner workings of the genius scientist's psychiatry. Jackson proves he's a more than capable match for him too; the scenes in the jail cell and at the episode's close in particular are absolutely spot on. What in lesser actors' hands could seem hokum ('I've got daddy issues!') is made achingly believable by these two imminently talented individuals. And then there's the ****-the-bed moment at the end that just caps it all off perfectly. Marvellous. And to think I had my reservations about this show; 'The Arrival' put pay to a large proportion of those, and now I can't wait to find out more. What was an interesting curiosity is now absolute must see TV. Check it out, I dares ya.

(And you'll get the chance to for another few weeks at least: FOX just picked up the show for a full 22 episode season).
  • The Arrival of the Observer

What an amazing episode -- If you think that JJ and co lost his glare after Lost, well you're wrong. It just seems, they're better at telling serialized stories over episodic ones.

This episode - completetly serialized - thus, it blew me away. I was also surprised that Massive Dynamic wasn't involved; I'm glad that not everything's connected to a big company.

The thing I enjoyed about this episode the most is that we didn't know what was going on... and we still don't. The fact that the show was unpredictable and extremely interesting.... mmm... reminded me of Lost :)

Also, loved the Observer.... creepy and interesting. Not an Alien. No. JJ Abrams alreday confirmed; no aliens. But then what or who is he? Someone from the future? A clone? Someone "outside" our dimension? Well... wait and see.... wait and see....

Man, what a badass gun that bad guy had! I hope they'll keep that one. Blasting away people never semeed more fun :)

Also, John returns... Wow. I sort of expected it after the phone call, but... well, that can stir things up. Excellent episode, the best one yet, and funnily, I think I said that after each episode ended. The show is constantly adjusting, improving, and I'm lovin' that. See you in 2 weeks.
  • Best Episode Yet (CREEPY!)

Though only the fourth episode, it's the best one yet. The show has found it's niche and it feels like everything comes together in this episode. Peter's position within the team is finally made official, but not until after he's kidnapped and tortured in quite an unusual method (to say the least). Dr. Bishop has finally gone and done something that makes everyone question whether or not he can really be trusted. But the most interesting aspect of this episode is the appearance of "The Observer". The nickname given to the creepy bald/no-eyebrow man who appears out of nowhere, but is somehow connected to 'The Pattern'. Is it just me or does he remind anyone of the Smoking Man from the X-Files? The scene in the forest when Peter runs into him is awesome and creepy. I'm definitely going to keep watching this show. And the cylinder? I get the feeling that's not the last we heard of that thing...
  • More Fringe Greatness.

Is it aliens? Is it a government cover up? You never truly know with Fringe as the show has that same mystique that had fans of Lost talking during its first season. I initially said that this should show could not rival that of the ABC drama, but now I'm thinking that the two might be on par.

Strong writing and acting from the entire cast separates this show from anything else on television. There are no weak links and TV Guide was absolutely right when they called it "the best new show". Walter Bishop is easily the most fascinating character on television right now. From his bizarre behavior to his deranged thought process he always leaves you wanting more. The scene at the hotel room with him reciting the root beer formula was amazing, and his final scene telling the true story to Peter about their car accident was Emmy-worthy. It really was that good.

The show just connects on all cylinders from the little speckles of humor to the intense shootouts and unexplainable happenings. It feels like it is 2004 again and we're watching the first season of Lost because Fringe is just incredible right now.
  • Pretty amazing. They've dropped the whole " Disaster/Olivia and Bishops being called to solve the puzzle/A nice chat with that red hair grandma/Walter solves the thing/ending scores" stuff.

The cylinder wasn't an interesting thing, by the way, it was kinda unsolved and boring. But what it brought was fantastic, the Bald Guy. Now we know it's not just a coincidence when his shiny bald head pops in the middle of our TVs for a couple of seconds when a pattern situtation happens. By the way, Walter is such an interesting character, every single episode I like him more an more. Olivia, on the other hand, is always with that "I'm not in the mood" face. But i've got to admit, it was insane her The Ring moment, I could almost hear the "7 days" whisper coming out of the phone. In the ending scene i felt a LOSTish sensation that made it worth the whole episode.
  • Fair enough, but didn't evolve much from the last episode.

So did Fringe reach it's creative plateau? Will this be all? I agree Peter should himself go through some supernatural experience, either to dismiss or abide the so-called Pattern and his Dad's alleged experiments. But i thought they way they did it was a no. It had nothing to do with Peter's personality. Someone sticked probes inside Peter's nose and "mind-raped" him. Fine. The natural would be he Peter getting totally p*****d off at his father because that only happened because of Dr. Bishop. The natural would be Peter saying "I'm done with this Olivia, i'm out". But instead he's all like "Cool, let's look what's into this, my dad was not that bad"!?!

Another weak point again is have the supernatural in order to strengthen the father/son bond. They could have used the damn car accident so much better! I thought Walter Bishop was going to say something glorius, like some invention of his was responsible to save them, or like only then he realized how much he cared about his son and managged to save him somehow. But no. Instead of giving Walter Bishop some (or at least one)concrete credits as a real father, they attibute all the glory and the fame to the bald man!! That's pathetic and totally diminishes Walter Bishop character. That way how's Peter to like him more?? But apparently the writers think that's enough. Something else that won't help me like this show more was the too-horrible-even-to-be-mentioned quote by Water Bishop that stated (this is so ludicrous my hands refuse to write it but i'm fighting hard) that your toughts can be absorbed by osmosis, or some non-sense like that. That one was the insulting, seriouslly. The worst of all the series scientific inconsistecies. I guess the next might be last episode i'm watching, if it goes on like this.

The bald men was a very interesting add to the show. But all across the episode i had a feeling i have seen this before, and i actually did. The Bald Men character reminds me of a movie where there was this man in a black suit who was always present during the ocurrence of all the main historical moments, and his presence was noted by one of the other characters, in pictures and films taken at the time of the happening. Ultimately the man was found out to be a "Time Tourist", someone from the future who did "time-travelling tourism", due to wich he was instructed to not interact with the "scenes" he sould only observe from a distance. I don't remember the name of the film, but once i saw the Bald Men i had a dejà vu and couldn't stop thinking of it.

I know the character John is being "managed" by M. Dynamics, but still i'm curious about his appearance, wheter it's the actual deceased John rebuild and revamped, or he's yet to come and that was some trick of mind (whose mind would be a good question too, with Fringe, you never know).
  • "I sure hope that a gigantic metallic suppository isn't the pinnacle of human achievement" - Peter

A mysterious cylinder emerges from beneath the Earth in New York City, so Broyles enlists the trio of Olivia, Dr. Bishop and Peter to investigate the significance of the object. However, others also seek it, including a bald man known as the Observer who only watches events as they unfold and another willing to kill to retrieve the cylinder. Dr. Bishop hides the cylinder against the wishes of the rest of the team, owing a debt to the Observer for saving his life and that of his son many years earlier. The object burrows back underground before either side can discover its purpose. At the end of the episode, Olivia, who is standing in the kitchen, sees John Scott standing in the kitchen entrance. Walter is one of the maddest and funniest characters around he is isanely funny and John Noble does a great job. I love Peter and Walters relationship they are funny together but the argue a lot which is great. The Observer is introduced and he is pretty strange but he brings so good drama and twist to the show. He is a pretty scary guy.

The scene with the both of them in the restuarant it was really really great. haha the root bear.

There was a lot of development with Peter in this episode which was great because I thought the writers needed to shed more light on him. Peter wanting to leave was easy to predict that that story would happen but it was still good TV. I forgot to mention the last episodes ending was great with John being alive.

I give "The Arrival" 9.5 out of 10. Keep it up Fringe.
  • The Arrival of the Cylinder

A construction site gets blown up when a mysterious bald man is observing it, the FBI is soon the case and it is revealed that a cylinder had come up from the ground. Walter gets to work on it. A little further in the investigation also reveals that a bald guy keeps turning up in photographs from every weird incident.

Now a man is after the cylinder in protecting it decides to take the matter into his own hands by drugging Astrid, he soon sets off and meets this bald guy in the cafe. Peter gets abducted by crazy guy who wants the now the where about of the cylinder. He somehow gets the information out of him and head off to the graveyard, Olivia burst onto the scene and shoots the guy while Peter comes face-to-face with the mysterious bald chap, and started to question him. But the bald man said Peter's words at the same time, and even started to pre-empt what he was going to say. This freaked out Peter no end.

The cylinder, meanwhile, disappeared beneath the ground.
  • Finally an episode proves me wrong - this show does have at least some character!

I'm not saying it was mind-blowing or anything but it was exciting and I liked to see all the characters worked on. Olivia seemed better here, way less dull than previous instalments. I really liked the phone call she got which turned out to be non-existent in reality. Plus the end was brilliant and really left me wanting more, Olivia sees her former partner/lover who's meant to be dead right before her eyes, she drops her cereal bowl and then it had to end didn't it?

I am also starting to really warm to Walter who at times adds light charm and humour but also can make great speeches and thinks insightful thoughts. The scene between he and between towards the episodes end was enjoyable and revealing, they were saved by the 'bald man with no eyebrows'. The whole thinking thoughts before you think them has been done before but for once on this show I didn't care.

I do quite like Astrid the assistant who know seems to be ignoring poor Walter. Though I praise this it did have negatives, the whole Peter saying he'd leave after he famous one more case was clichéd and wasn't really needed in my opinion. Plus it can be boring at times. My main concern is that I think this could be a one off, I have a feeling that next week will go back to its old (Dull) ways. Hopefully not....first good episode anyway!
  • Character development, action, and a really good ending.

So basically, this episode revolves around this weird cylinder thing that shows up at an explosion in New York City. The team investigates and finds a connection to a man that seems to be in every picture before an explosion happened that they call, The Observer.

I really really enjoyed this episode. It didn't feel rushed. Thanks to the new remote-free T.V., Fringe and Dollhouse are the only shows that have about seven minutes added to each episode and boy does it help. The character development was spot on this episode. The conversations and serious moments between Walter and Peter really gave awesome insight into their relationship and actually moved along their characters. Finally, Peter isn't being as annoying and disagreeing with everyone his father says (meanwhile it's always right) by the end of the episode and I am excited to see where this story goes along. The ending too, was the first time I was really shocked during an episode of Fringe. Maybe this is the answer to what the red-haired lady was doing??
  • A cylinder is found at a accident cite and a misterious man is being photographed everywhere. Peter is kiddnapped and tortured. Oliva finds him and the cylinder dissappears.

I really liked this episode. I missed the last one so I was bumbed out but this was good. It made you think that Olivia was going to be kiddnapped and not Peter, but all in all, I wouldn't want to be Peter. Good acting on Josh's part(and might I add that he is smokin' hot too!). I would not want copper wires shoved up my nose and then electric current passed through them! OUCH!!! I really love Walter too. He is very original and the things he says are funny! I didn't get why the man from the Pilot, i think his name is Jason Scott was standing in Olivia's room at the end of the episode, so if someone could tell me, that would be fantastic!
  • I'm Trying...

I'm giving this show one more week. I love the concept and the ideas. I was excited to see Joshua Jackson back on television. But for me it's the scripts. I just get get hooked. This espisode focus on this metal thing that's uncovered during a way to close to reality crane accident. Everyone's focus on what it is, where its from with no one really having a clue. The one aspect of the show is the dynamic of Peter and Walter. It's always interesting to watch and see how it pans out. Especially in the final scene of this episode where Peter having the realization that his father isn't as crazy and he thinks. There is some reality to Walter's thought process.
  • One of the best that the fall lineup has to offer. Should not be missed.

The Arrival has brought us further into the mystery that is Fringe. You can't help but to have questions- Who is the Observer? What does he have to do with the Pattern? Oh, and just what is the Pattern? These are just some of the questions that come to mind.

The writing team has done a fine job balancing drama, mystery and humor. There are so many layers to this show, and not a beat is missed. Our minds are tintalized each episode. There is always something new. We are given just enough to satisfy until the next time.

In The Arrival, we are introduced to a new piece of the puzzle, The Observer. A bald man, with no eyebrows, and strange eating habits- who is he, what is he? There seems to be a gentleness about him, and yet, he proves himself a force to be reckoned with. Like other characters in Fringe, he seems a man of contradictions.

Although this episode stems around the mysterous Observer, I found Walter Bishop to be the main attraction. Walter speaks with a Vincent Price like voice. This lends to his creepyness. In fact, his facial expressions remind me of him too. Walter is a man with many layers. Each week, something new is revealed. John Noble seems to have found the essence of Bishop and has easily brought him to life. The scene where Bishop talks to Peter about the time that he first met the Observer is quite moving.

This episode's strenght lies not in the plot itself, but rather in the things that are happening in the background. Be sure not to miss it.
  • best episode so far

in overall this episode was the best so far because of many things, like the acting gets better, and the story gets more vague, and the "too much over the limit" is less.
    but there is still some things that i must say, that how they show the relation between Walter and Peter and how they talk to each over, its just don't feel right, and its obvious that they are faking, and i guess that the director must improve the show from this point, and try to get the acting lever with these two characters up.
    but still "Olivia" is lovely character that you like to watch.
    and another thing they still have to work on the story more, and try to improve it by getting a really mysterious stories.
    and oohh i liked the end of the episode, it was really twisted.
  • Defining Peter

In my review for the previous episode, I noted how all the characters were on the "fringe" of normality, and how that was the defining aspect of the series. For all that it's become pigeon-holed as nothing more than an "X-Files" knockoff, it has focused on tighter continuity for both plot and character than its forebear ever did.

This episode, for example, accomplishes two very important tasks. We know why Agent Dunham is involved with Agent Broyles' secret task force, and we know that Walter Bishop is a lunatic who relishes the chance to play with his toys again. But what compels Peter Bishop to remain? It's a question that has been lingering since the pilot, and this episode provides an answer.

Peter's motivation is now rather simple. He's had an Experience, and he wants to understand it. That desire for closure was only deepened after his conversation with his father at the end of the episode, when it became clear that this latest moment of weirdness was only the most recent. Walter is still holding back, of course, and Peter can't possibly guess how much his father has likely messed with him over the years, but now he's driven towards the truth.

This is good, because up until now, Peter has been around to toss out sarcastic commentary and make occasional eyes at Agent Dunham. Since Dunham is still reeling from the loss of Agent Scott, any Olivia/Peter relationship would be out of character. Considering that the writers appear to be going for a season arc approach, these early episodes are all about introducing the characters and their individual psychological underpinnings. It would have been easy to ignore Peter, so this much attention is a comforting sign.

The second task relates to the mythology of the series, which complicates in this episode, but in a good way. The Observer is creepy, and while he is a familiar kind of figure in the genre, it is still intriguing. It expands the playing field more than expected. Instead of having just the complex interplay between law enforcement, Massive Dynamic, and the terrorists involved with the Pattern, there's Someone Else that has been keeping an eye on things for decades. And that Someone Else hasn't aged and may see an even deeper Pattern driving the one that caught Broyles' attention.

That said, this episode was a bit more obscure than the previous installments, and I'm not sure that it will be well-received. One criticism that has been voiced often is the inaccessibility of Agent Dunham's character, and I'm beginning to see the validity of that point. It makes sense for Dunham to be dour and morose, given her recent experiences, but it's closing off the audience as well. So far, Walter is still providing enough wacky fun to compensate, but the growing darkness of his instability needs to be offset by more than Peter's sarcastic wit.
  • The best episode of Fringe so far.

When Fringe hadn't premiered yet, I was really expecting it and after watching the season premier I liked it, but it wasn't as good as I hoped. For the first three episodes there was a pattern that the series followed that became extremely predictable and boring. This was showing some strange event at the beginning, our 3 friends investigating it, discovering that some experiment Walter did in the past is related, getting some help from Massive Dynamics and finally getting to the bottom of the case.
    This episode was so refreshing because it breaks away from this pattern and delivers an exciting episode. There is a lot of friction happening between the Bishops which is very interesting to watch. A new mysterious character is introduced called the Observer who seems to know Walter. There connection is not held secret for long and Walter explains to Peter how he saved their lives, and I'm happy we're getting answers to some of our questions.
    This episode is quite fast paced and doesn't slow down. I'm interested in what trouble Peter is when he talks about "Big Eddie" and the ending where Olivia sees John alive is very intriguing and now I can't wait for next week's episode.
    Although I thoroughly enjoyed this episode there were a couple of things I disliked. I didn't really like the beginning that much - I don't know why but it felt kind of weak compared to the rest of the episode. I also didn't like how Olivia seemed to believe Walter that he met the Observer while Peter didn't, and once Peter met the Observer and told Olivia she didn't seem to believe him. Hasn't Walter been in a mental institute and Peter is more rational? Wouldn't it be easier for Olivia to believe that Peter met the observer rather than Walter? I just don't think Olivia's reactions suited each situation.
    What I love about Fringe is how it is quite funny in some quite serious situations, e.g. when the Observer is repeating what Peter says and they both say "Apples, bananas, rhinoceros", or when Walter apologizes to Astrid and says that Astrid can "inject [Walter] too".
    I really enjoyed this episode and can't wait for next week. If this is how Fringe is going to continue, it really will be worth watching.
  • The team tries to find out more about a mysterious bald man and his connection to a strange cylindrical object while Peter struggles in his relationship with his father.

The episode starts off with an appearance by the strange hairless man that they've dubbed "the observer" having a strange meal and acting oddly before an explosion at a construction site and the discovery of a strange object. The fringe team are called in to investigate the object, unaware of the connection between it, the observer and a man armed with a futuristic weapon who will stop at nothing to get it.
    On the personal front, Peter's role as his father's caretaker are getting to him. The tension between him and his troubled father heighten, and his urge to leave gets stronger despite Olivia's pleas for him to stay. It was sort of about time since we are told from the beginning that Peter wasn't one to establish roots and despite his guilt at the possibility of abandoning his addled father his role on the team wasn't fully established. He seemed to be nothing more than a glorified babysitter to a mad genius. Since he and his father have at best an estranged relationship it didn't make sense that he stayed so long. He's never fully believed in the work that his father did, and is now doing. At least now he has had a first hand glimpse into the extreme science and is starting to believe that there may be something to the pattern, and maybe his role will be extended into more of an active partner role to Olivia rather than just Walter's interpreter. Once again Walter was absolutely fascinating to watch and the scenes between him and Peter were riveting. The chemistry between the two of them is awesome, and despite the tension and the obvious resentment between them you do sense the affection that lay beneath the surface.
    They did look at the "observer" more in depth in this episode, and the guy is creepy. He kind of has a robotic, strange almost extraterrestrial sense to him and I'm not sure if that was deliberate or not. I hope that if it is, that they correct it because the premise is bizarre enough to be interesting, but adding an E.T. element would drop it down into the corny realm. I did like that Walter had an interesting connection to the observer, but again if not handled properly it could derail the show. Then there was the "gun" that the guy trying to find the object was using. That element of the episode I could do without. The...what was it-a sonic blast gun? That was a bit too much for me. It's one thing to have strange viruses, but that weapon looked like it belonged on a member of a crew on a space ship rather than current day Boston. This episode dropped the ball a bit on the science but more than made up for it with the character development.
  • No eyebrows, thought listening, and a submarine that goes through the center of the Earth. Can't get much crazier than this...

Walter really comes out in this episode, and always has been a huge success and big reason why I watch this show. The whole root beer float was hilarious. But the last revelation about the Observer being the reason they all live is pretty interesting.

Is the observer this series' Cigarette Man or whatever that guy was called on the X-Files (I never watched it but heard about it)? If we see more of him, I really don't know how I feel. Weird weird weird character who almost makes Walter seem quite normal.

It was pretty obvious Peter was not going to be leaving the show, so to me this part of the episode was kinda unnecessary but it's character development so I shouldn't complain.

How come we don't see Dunham picking up the awesome Minority Report somewhat ripoff gun? She could carry both if necessary. And it seems to have a stun setting, not unlike the blasters in Star Wars.

All in all...weird.
  • Every time I start watching a new show I wait for the episode that presents the audience with something that really roots their interest in the show.

Every time I start watching a new show I wait for the episode that presents the audience with something that really roots their interest in the show. Something that makes you say "Things just got interesting" I believe this was that episode for Fringe. It was for me anyway.

Joshua Jackson gave a wonderful performance in this episode as it delves in and explores his character's motivations. I'm glad they explored that because I had been wondering just how much is this guy going to put up with before he just leaves, there really wasn't much incentive for him to stay.

John Noble also continues to impress me with his performances. In my opinion he has the most solid character. I wish Jasika Nicole(Astrid Farnsworth) would get more lines. I mean she's on screen enough. They really need to explain soon why her character is important to the story and not just there for convenience.

I review more TV shows @ www.extremecritic.com