Fringe

The Box

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Sep 30, 2010 on FOX

• The Box

"The Box" is the name of the latest film by Richard Kelly. A daydream almost undisputed lynchiano originated in "Twilight Zone". "The Box" is also the name of the second episode of the third season of "Fringe." A daydream almost undisputed exceptional rise in "Olivia."

And in the first chapter of this third day the securities were red, this number two back to green. The suspicions are indeed facts: the two worlds will merge at the sound of the episodes. One there, one here, which makes the trip an absolute must. Each case, each supposed to stand alone never will be, due to the initial premise, due to the exchange. The Olivias (Anna Torv) and each investigation will be reversed, necessarily, a new step for these two characters. There is always something that ties us strongly based on mythology and it is that desire that always blow.

So the episode offers two lines that run fast and holding hands. On the one hand a mysterious box that once opened, kill everything around them. On the other Altivia in a universe that is not their agenda with an increasingly gloomy. The lines intersect when we realize that the box that opens the episode is one of the parts of that machine that can destroy our world. That supposedly has the power supply, Peter (Joshua Jackson).

In this way, and after we watched our protagonist go over to the other, we are treated to the other. And deep down it all comes down to it. Altivia, which immediately puts Newton (Sebastian Roch) line and shows him who's boss. Altivia, which is a double game between his job and his true mission. Altivia, we raised so many doubts. And only in two episodes she seems a dubious character, nor do I imagine the confusion that this future will be. On the one hand, it is colder than a Siberian night - kills an innocent in cold blood - but then, in a few milliseconds, almost see it give way. Is this going to be ours?

For now are just questions, impressions, theories. The whole episode, the entire box set, it was just a gigantic plan to put the play into the hands of Peter. And it was rather a surprise. We walked 40 minutes to think that the villains want the object back, when what they've always wanted is that the object was discovered. Why does not realize is that good. To turn, turn, connect to Peter? It's wait and see. One is that the message was clearly that will follow Walter (John Noble).

In conclusion I highlight just three things:

the most recent owner of Massive Dynamic. And now?

the interpretation of fabulous Anna Torv. The simple look, gait, everything is sublime, everything is different. Just his presence there could smell someone else.

at a time when U2 are in Portugal is a caricature known universe where they never existed.

In the third episode promo, interspersed with images, appears the phrase became the fifth nights "Fringe." Could not agree more.

The Best: The game double Altivia.

The worst: nothing
  • I think were moving foward 0o

A lot of it we don't know whats going on, like why is she there and why is our Olivia in that world. Still nothing of that nature so we can move forward on, its just more questions than answers. Walter been given Massive Dynamic, which is weird but I knew it was going to be given to him. Wonder how thats going to be like, I guess that needed to happend because they don't have the resources to get what needed to get done. None that they do, lets see what happens.

Man, I know that people really love Fringe, and I used to be in that boat too, but I just cannot get into this new format this year. This whole crossing over between the two worlds, it just does not seem like something that can have any longevity no matter how hard they try to shove it down our throats. With this show definitely facing cancellation lead actress Anna Torv has stepped up her game, but this show is still a long way from becoming something that casual TV viewers can like. Not enough crazy sci-fi stuff, just too many poorly-crafted plotlines.
  • See Summary

The Box was an exciting episode of Fringe. It was a thriller with plenty of action and drama. Walter and Nina come together to hear the will of William Bell. This episode sort of reminds me of Angel when they get Wolfram and Hart. In any case there is a lot going on here, and the story lines are complex which is great. I enjoy shows that challenge us to think outside of the box. I can't wait to see what happens now with all that has taken place. Will Walter actively engage his gift, and will Peter unknowingly complete the other universes agenda? Olivia's performance is always a pleasure to watch.
  • exciting!

that was a exciting episode.
    first of all we saw what is the first Bolivia's case and she was trying not to solve it, to lead it where she wanted it to go. she is giving Peter pieces of devise and some kind of motive for him to study on it.
    Peter and Bolivia at the bar, drinking and dancing, Peter should know something is wrong about her, like realy realy wrong! she expressing feeling about everything but Peter. that dance was emotionless, passionless and too fake! Peter talks to Olivia about everything and he must see her responds are not Olivias.
    Dr. Bishop got the masive dynamics, God knows what is he going to do with it! it might be quite intresting!
    Dr Bishop talked to peter about why he kidnapped him from the other side years ago, I felt sorry for both of them. poor Bishops!
    I missed Olivia, I hope we can see more of her in next episode.
  • Good old "Fringe" is back!

A true opener of the third season. Finally there are links to what's happened last time and the story follows up. After a total let down which happened to be the previous episode, this time we have everything what we loved "Fringe" for. There is a mystery, there are some sinister characters, there is Olivia as a double agent and there is Walter struggling with what happened with Bell and trying to deal with Peter.

Comparison of this episode to the previous one is unavoidable and unfortunatelly I will be mentioning it once again. The previous episode completely does not fit to anything, particulary after what we have seen in "The Box" episode. What was it about all this hearing in the Senate building? And why then Peter and Walter didn't talk about the crazy stuff they acknowledged? It must have happened in the second episode while it should have in the first one. Okay, maybe there is some deeper end in it and I just have to wait but so far I think that "Olivia" episode was completely unnecessary and the show could do equally good without it. At least so far.

I consider "The Box" as great episode which I highly recommened. Those who missed the first one didn't miss much.

• *** Spoiler-free *** Exciting Fauxlivia missteps, promising red & blue format, conventional episodic story, horrific side effects, intriguing character development, questionable acting

Pandora, Pandora. The malicious box is so luscious that shows can't resist to have one of their own. Opening it should be your second step toward the long and wicked ending of season 3. With the blue pill in my belly I felt strong enough to follow Fauxlivia and her team. In the first four episodes of season 1 I saw Anna Torv as the blonde babe you throw in the mix to appeal the male audience. But with her new dual role her characters should change the very idea you had about her. I mean how can you objectively embrace her when you have grown up with Dana Scully under your pillow ? Torv is no Gillian Anderson but she deserves respect and a chance to become who she is. Moreover it's probably not a coincidence that Olivia's hair turned red in the alternate universe. It's stealthier than pink, though.

But let's go back to The Box, shall we. The very first minutes sneaking behind the Fringers felt different. Indeed we know that Olivia Dunham is not who the others think she is. The real one is losing it in the parallel universe. Watching his inevitable missteps is exciting because Fauxlivia has to learn who Olivia is. In fact it's a good thing but as often the coin has a backside. Indeed I think the writers approach is not subtle enough. They should have pushed the concept further by hiding the truth to the audience. We just didn't need to know that Fauxlivia wasn't Olivia. It would have made the scenes even more puzzling and the inevitable revelation jaw dropping. Of course the idea is probably inspired by Edward Norton's performances. Once done with the season we would have to watch it all over again to really comprehend what happened and finally notice all hints related to her true identity. They have chosen an other road, probably a more accessible one, but it still has potential.

My only worry was the episodic format. The investigations of the week in season 1 were monstrous compared to the cult The X-Files episodes. Not all of them were exceptional but its charismatic and complementary characters prevented anyone to skip the weekly paranormal adventure. In season 3 Fringe has finally found its marks thanks to the brand new parallel arcs. In fact I can't help comparing them to Lost even if the last editing was so mesmerizing that it gave the process a new dimension. But even if the red and blue concept is less original its execution is nonetheless promising. Indeed the parallel and episodic elements were mixed and the arcs should nourish each other. The story itself was decent but lacked spice. It was really just an other investigation with a magic box and without the surreal dose it almost could have seemed like a Castle episode. However I enjoyed its bleeding side effects and one gore scene actually reminded me of Street Trash. Kids, it's time to go to bed !

All in all it was almost an installment in the same vein as the premiere. Still it could have been way better and despite its many strengths the show has weaknesses that could repel the most demanding viewers. It's specially true for long time scifi fans but even with my little big background I still enjoyed it. Of course compared to Isaac Asimov brilliant writing the investigation felt slightly dry but I'm sure Fringe's Genitrix hasn't played its trump card yet. Last but not least it's sweet that Fauxlivia uses a type writer to report instead of some hyper technological device. And her bizarre relationship with Peter Bishop is definitely intriguing. However Joshua Jackson's portrayal is a little bland so I really hope he'll bring his A game in the next episodes because his face off with Torv could lead to some edgy moments.
  • Warning, spoilers contained below.

Well it looks like in this episode the reason that alternate Olivia is over on the other side is because she is tasked to find pieces from the machine that seem to be only on the other side. Now who exactly made these pieces and why the pieces are on both sides, I really want to know. The end of this episode just makes me cringe, it seems the plan is to get Peter and Walter working on the machine's pieces or something close to it. What could Alternate Walter have planned? It really does seem quite devious. I really hope Peter realises that Olivia is a fake soon, it's starting to bug me that no one notices. Even though she is taking lessons and such, she can't hold the act forever.
  • Fauxlivia makes her first move

As anticipated (thanks to a constant stream of communication over the summer hiatus), this episode switches from focus on the Alt-Fringe universe to the far more familiar Fringe Prime universe. As I mentioned in the review for the season premiere, I almost wish that they had started with this episode, because it hews much closer to the typical series format and would have been more accessible to potential new viewers.

Then again, as others have reminded me, it probably doesn't matter. The producers may have started with the notion of keeping the mythology from dominating the series as happened with "Alias" and "Lost", but "Fringe" is now firmly following in the same footsteps. This is a clear blessing to fans, at least the ones who love complex, ongoing story arcs, but a curse when it comes to drawing in the uninitiated.

Of course, all things being equal, "Fringe" is the least complicated of the three major JJ Abrams sci-fi vehicles. Where "Alias" collapsed under the weight of an unplanned mythology sprawl, and opinions vary widely over whether or not "Lost" did the same (my opinions are clear on that topic), "Fringe" has managed to keep the focus on few key points. There are loose ends, but most fans find them easy enough to reconcile or ignore.

This episode is fairly straightforward, and picks up right where the end of the second season left off. Walter is still trying to come to terms with his strained relationship with Peter and the death of William Bell. Peter is trying to come to grips with the nature of the "ancient device" that Walternate was going to use him to power. And Fauxlivia is asserting control over the Alt-Fringe operations in the Fringe Prime universe, dealing with Mr. Newton's machinations while also trying to seduce Peter into falling into her trap.

All the while, there is an unusual case involving a mysterious box that is causing people to die from the aftereffects of an ultrasonic assault. The nice twist is that the box in question contains a component of the weapon that Walternate was trying to build. This puts an interesting spin on the events at the end of the second season. Why are pieces of the machine hidden on Fringe Prime? And how long have they been there? Just how ancient is this machine, and what was it's original purpose?

The net effect is that this suggests that the conflict begun by Walter is not the beginning of the story, but rather, whatever era and circumstance this ancient machine came from. Even with that apparent escalation of scope, the story is fairly simple and straightforward. Walternate and his minions (including Fauxlivia) are vying to put the pieces of the machine together, before Fringe Prime can mount a proper response. The rest is the movement of pieces on the board.

Right now, it seems improbable that the heroes of the story could possibly do a thing to stop Walternate from enacting his master plan. But the end of the episode provides a clue. Walter is now the owner of Massive Dynamic, and that means that the organization that William Bell founded to counter the technological advances of Alt-Fringe will be on hand.

It's a great episode, setting up a number of important plot threads, but it's not perfect. I found it hard to believe that Fauxlivia would be able to fool Peter and Walter so easily. Granted, Walter is beside himself with remorse, and Peter is distracted by his true origin, the machine, and Fauxlivia crawling all over him. But wouldn't they notice that Fauxlivia's personality is completely different from Olivia's usual reserved nature? I realize part of the portrayal is to sell the effort made by Fauxlivia to the audience, but it's a touchy balancing act, and I'm not sure they're quite pulling it off.
  • Like the artifact given to Pandora...

Back home, Fringe Division is still unaware of Olivia's switch, the aftermath of which provides Newton with a valuable asset.

A chess game of Bishops and pawns begins when a mysterious box is used to pick curiosity and release all kind of evils to this world, tied directly with Peter's role in the weapon of mass detruction created by his father, er his real father, back on the world he came from.

AltOlivia is anything but uneffective, as the perfect infiltrator she takes over Newton's operation, set the parameters of their current mission and attempts to seduce Peter before all the pieces are in place and her superiors inform her about the next target: Dr. Walter Bishop.
  • So the search is on for the pieces of the box...er...puzzle

Instead of where in the world is Waldo, its where in the world are the bits of that box? And what havoc is each yet to be found piece going to wreak before it can be neutralized by Fringe.

But wait: as for the intrepid band of "our World" weirdo fighting Fringe members: which of these people does not belong? And how much damage can she do (with or without pieces of the box) before she completely reveals that she ain't OUR Olivia! Not by a long shot!

I get the feeling that even Peter is getting the feeling that all is not right on the Olivia front. Coming from the other world, has he got some as yet untapped insights that will help him clue in on time?

Our wonderful Walter now finds himself owning a huge business (for now!) which, despite all it can do, can not make his cow give chocolate milk. But our Walter is better in his moments of lucidity than most of are in an entire lifetime of "with the program". Walter will ultimately step up to the milking machine! I'm certain of it!

Next week: the other world? Gawd I love to travel!