Fringe

The Boy Must Live

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jan 11, 2013 on FOX

• Amazing

This episode was great for many reasons... First, there was a plan in motion and there was purpose to it. The writers touched on love again. Walter and Peter shared an interesting exchange near the beginning of the episode. A lovely exchange of words. Seeing September with hair was a great sight. Clearly, this is was a great turn for the writers - to have this guy come back and be a part of the destruction of the Observers. It was interesting to hear him discuss things personally without the monotonous tone of the Observer-speak. September details the formation of the Observer race and details how love contributed to the anomaly that is contained within the child - emotion. Then seeing Windmore rage was quite funny "experiencing something I've never experienced before". They need to go to 2167 so that they can prevent scientists from genetically altering the next generations such that they no longer require emotions. And a while cat and mouse chase ensues with tensions high, it was interesting and engaging to watch.
  • name that tune!

Took me forever to figure out what the tune was that Donald played for his son. It was "What child is This".
  • September is so handsome!

September is so handsome!

• Would somebody PLEEASE give John Noble an Emmy Award!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic cool getting to know September.
  • Song in Donald's apartment

Does anyone know what song was playing in Donald's apartment when the observers came to track him down? It was a jazz tune that reminded me of the songs in Twin Peaks.
  • Fringe but not Fringe

I've been enjoying this final season of Fringe, but then a pang hits me that this isn't the Fringe I've been enjoying until the beginning of this season.

The first four seasons of the series were about the two parallel worlds, the potential war that was a hair's breath from breaking out between them, the resolution of these tensions, the working together by the denizens of both worlds to mutual gain, the defeating of William Bell's nefarious scheme of destroying both worlds in order to create his own perfect one.

Then this season started, and eleven episodes in I have to wonder, did William Bell actually succeed, or at least partially: We no longer see the alternate world, so it may as well no long exist; the original world is so changed that the one we saw for four seasons may as well not exist; and we are seeing a completely different world, supposedly the future of the original one, that is completely new.

It is as if the 2 worlds we have been following for four years have been destroyed and in their place is this one where humans have become secondary citizens in a world occupied by the Observers perhaps not the world Bell wanted to created, but still not the worlds Peter and Olivia and Walter tried to save at the end of season four.

So during this episode when Walter got into the tank, I thought, now it's going to happen, now we'll see a tying up of what was left hanging from the last episode of season four, Walter was going to jump to the alternate Earth, we'll find out what's happening there (whether they are also being controlled by the Observers) and perhaps the two world's will work together to defeat the Observer threat.

Alas that wasn't to be.

And for this reason, it feels like we are watching an enjoyable show called Fringe, but it isn't that old show that ended with season four, that dealt with how 2 parallel universes handled their mutual threats (many a time one universe being the threat to the other) and shared threats.

Please writers, producers, before Fringe is taken off the air forever, let's once again see the alternate Earth, the alternate Walter, the alternate Olivia and the others. Let's see what happened to the alternate Earth once the bridge was shut down, and it stopped healing.

As for this episode, the review to warrant my rating: it was okay. It was fun watching a resistance group trying to bring to fruition another stage in their vague plan to drive out an occupying force, in a strange new world enslaved by an insidious, relentless enemy from the future.

It's just not the Fringe I invested in for four years before now.
  • Fringe.

Fantastic Episode, so glad that September is back & Michael left the train to save Olivia & the rest of them, because Windmark is afraid of Michael & he holds the power to defeat The Observers. I dont believe that Walter has to die & dont forget we still have Agent Broyles, after all isn't he "The Dove". Nuff said, 11/10.
  • the boy must live

toujours aussi prenant. On ne peut dcrocher . Hate de connaitre la suite et Fin. De grand moment d'motion entre Walter et Peter, et le regard attendrissant de Donald pour Michael.

On attend la fin avec impatience
  • everything you wanted to know about the Observers ( or really close )

WOW. What an AMAZING episode. It expanded Observer mythology by a MILE, by answering many, many questions : how are they born ? why aren't there female Observers ? who's Michael ? What's 2609 like ? Why didn't they use time travel to kill all rebels as kids or babies ? And, of course, it answers the HUGE one : what's the plan ? After this season's mostly snail pace, this one was really crowded !!!

And while doing so, it also was emotional : a nice Walter and Peter moment, September explaining who Michael is ( perfect acting from Cerveris all episode long, by the way ), a welcome reminder of "White tulip", even Windmark trying to understand things that don't make sense to him : art ( photography and jazz ), faith ( the Bible ) ... The writers hit the right balance between plot and emotion, and if the finale is anything like that, I guess we can be satisfied !
  • damn!,, this gonna itch me til next week !!

great epi,, full of events and unexpected turn of events..

finally we knew about the plan,, and it was spectacular!

but,, Y it has to end like this !!

its gonna drive me crazy waiting to the next week.. :D