The Cure

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 21, 2008 on FOX

• A silly case that's by far not as good as the opening sequence

The premise of this episode was very good, but the rest couldn't uphold to that. Silly guest actors and too little focus on the actual case, at least in my opinion. However, Olivia's childhood story about her step-father was a really pleasant new side of the series and the final scene was fantastic - although I don't see where this sidestory is going.
  • The Cure

In the sixth episode of its first season, "Fringe" begins to truly deepen your characters. In this case, we get to know Olivia (Anna Torv), his past and what motivates them. But will the overdraft was interesting enough to make us anxious for the development of the story?

Much the way a thousand other movies and episodes of series that have addressed the issue over the years, "The Cure" takes us to another conspiracy theory involving someone who develops various efforts to create the perfect biological weapon: humans infected with a disease that, with the right mix in the blood, become a powerful way to eliminate unwanted targets.

Take away the excitement of a head exploding, we are left with the main plot of this episode a feeling of deja vu, or an "I suck with 50 minutes of something I had seen so many similar times."

But this episode turned out to be an atypical one aspect, and here was already outside and comparisons solely on the basis of the remaining episodes of the series: the first time - if we except Walter, in whose past has been revealed from the beginning, because we needed this information to better understand the extravagance of the character - we have an episode with more character development in this case the leading figure of the series, Agent Olivia Dunham in that its history is not coupled with the main plot. There is a tenuous connection with the conduct of the case - the frustration of Olivia can not find the missing woman - but there is a crossover story concrete. And that was their main problem. The fact that this subplot have as they fell from the sky and not make any sense in conjunction with the rest.

Olivia's birthdays and walks with a few guy friends. Responds poorly, walks frustrated ... and we do not know why. Until she decides to tell Peter (Joshua Jackson) who, when he was nine, took two shots to the stepfather who drank and beat his mother. He did not die, and at one point escaped from the hospital and disappeared. Since then, the birthday of Olivia, he sends her a card of happiness just to remind you that he has not forgotten what she did. Of course, at the end of the episode, there was such a greeting card. Besides there is something in this story that does not hit quite right there - if he is as much a threat as well and she an FBI agent category, as they never tried / managed to catch (?) - Anyone still had doubts that the outcome of the episode was that!?
  • One long birthday.

It'sOlivia's birthday and she's in a bad mood. During this day the Fringe group solves a kidnapping case involving some new terrible drug. The beginning of the episode was very good but I didn't really like the rest of the story, the doctor pointing a gun at Olivia and then shots himself, the evil drug company guy.

This is a stand alone episode and I think you can skip it if you're mostly interested in the "big" fringe mystery. Also, they must have really long days over in the Fringe universe because Olivia had time to do everything, visit the crime scene, go to the lab a couple of times, drive around interviewing people, see the doctor kill himself, hang around the office, go to New York, go back again, solve the case, arrest the bad guy, save the girl, talk to Peter, go home. What a woman.

We have a few good parts though, a hint of Olivia's past revolving around an abusive stepfather that still bothers her every birthday, Peter making a deal with the Devil Nina Sharp and a little of sparkle between Olivia and Peter.

• every week i say that this week episode is the best so far, but i have to say,, this week episode was also the best so far.

i really liked this episode, it was great, well done written, and finally everything just made since.
    but there is something to be noticed, that at he beginning of the episode, the man just feel that the story is been taken from heroes, that the girl killed everyone with her mind or something, but after that u see that its different.
    and i keep my opinion of that the best character is still Olivia, which is should be that shes the "hero" in this show, but really the girl can act.
    in this episode we saw that, here we can see how everything happened with this new "pattern", and also i liked the tragedy about Olivia, with her step father, and how she was nervous the whole episode, and at they ended the episode with recieving a letter from her mystirious step father.
    and in this episode u start to feel the crush that petter beshob has for Olivia, which will add some "feeling" in the show.
    i just hope that the show will continue in this way, and im sure it will gets better.
  • The Cure

A women is tossed out of a van and ends up in a diner When a local police officer is called by a caring waiter to come and help her out, all hell breaks loose. The dazed and confused woman goes a bit crazy, causing everyone in the restaurant to explode, covering everything with blood and guts. Walter finds out that that the woman was used in a field trial and was actually let go to see whether the weird stuff inside her was working. Walter also found radioactive capsules in the woman's body while doing all sorts of experiments. Olivia and Peter found out that the new abducted woman actually new each other. So off they went again another race-against-the clock scenario where they had to find her before it was too late.
  • Olivia's past affects her on this assignment while she and the team try to track down someone engineering people to become weapons.

The team is brought in to investigate the unusual death of a woman in a cafe as well as all the other patrons. It turn out that she was in remission from a very rare and incurable disease. Once they got their head around that possibility, they found that another woman with the exact same disease has gone missing and Olivia's aversion to her own birthday affects her and her work.
    I thought that even though it was another "Olivia's past comes back to haunt her" episode, I really liked it. It was interesting to see Olivia really lose her patience and Peter being the one to call her on it. It was also nice to see Peter taking the initiative to obtain info that Olivia can't to help her out, though of course it'll end up biting him where the sun don't shine. There also seemed to be a couple of "moments" between them - when she revealed why she doesn't celebrate her birthday, and at the end when he acknowledged that she looks out for him and that he wanted to return the favor. They also revealed more intriguing tidbits about the mystery surrounding Peter is revealed when Nina Sharp mentions that she spent time with him when he was a child and that she was once "close" to his father. Walter was his usual kooky self with his inappropriate obsession with certain foods and his childlike enthusiasm as well as his seemingly random comments that end up revealing something important later, i.e. his comments about blue hyacinth, blue cotton candy later on relating to the cure. The case and the illness that the victims suffered from and another all powerful pharmaceutical conglomerate that wasn't Massive Dynamics using people with these diseases to create Typhoid Marys was fascinating, but the villain Esterbrook was bland compared to Nina Sharp. Broyles was underused in this one, they could have played him up as the ultimate brick wall that she had to face, and scene in the hall between them felt too...paint by numbers. It was too much of a cliched moment between an out of control agent and her boss. Wasn't my all time favorite episode, but pretty good none the less. More Fringe please.
  • Another win for Fringe.

Saying that this was my least favorite episode to date is a funny one, given how it's still a solid 8/10.

But it was - nothing was wrong with it, actually, just as far as the metaplot goes, very little progress happened, actually, which is a bit of a letdown, so to say.

Now, surely, "The Arrival" is something that's going to take alot to top. It was a fantastic episode with almost a hundred percent metaplot development.

Im not expecting that, as I can appreciate a good episodic story and a strong build up to the things to come - and this episode a fine example of that.

Olivia's character might've been somewhat cold in the beginning, but as the episodes go on, it's easier to warm up to her. In fact -- I was already sold on her after Power Hungry. But now? I love her.

Her past seems rather intriguing, this father in law thing might become something crucial in the future.

Also loved the Peter / Nina interaction.... Nina and Walter being close to each other is probably a bigger give away than we think.

Another good clue was when Peter was discussing how these experiements might be something more: human weapons.... I mean, yes. Crazy scientists do crazy things. But why? And for who? We didn't get an answer...(yet), but I'm sensing one coming soon.

The only real problem apart from the little metaplot development was the episodic case's conclusion. Amazing Tactical entrance and a dramatic scene with Olivia and Claire.... except it could've been much more dramtical if Claire DIES. She was rather underdeveloped, therefore her death would've been rather logical.

But still, this was a great episode. I liked how Walter didn't have past experience with the case, and the gruesome images were good too.

Sidenote: Yet another episode with The Observer in it! Hooray! He rocks. He was visible from a brief moment when Olivia(undercover) and Evil Dude are talking.
  • Another strong fringe episode

So, this was an interesting episode. I'm going to warn you that I'll be dropping a bunch of SPOILERS here so don't read this before you watch. Okay first Olivia drops a bomb about a creepy step father, which makes for an interesting back store. My only problem with this is what messed up 9 year old feels bad about not being capable of killing their step father? She may have been implying that she now feels bad about not killing him, but if she's felt bad about this since she was a child then she should be a considerably more troubled adult than she is now. She had not previous struck me as tortured this seemed to be more Peter's ground. Arthur is funny as aways. Peter may have given a favor to the devil to save the poor missing girl. Overall, a very productive and insightful episode.
  • A women ends up killing everyone around her with radiation before her own head explodes. The team discovers she had a rare fatal disease and another woman disappears with the same disease The team looks for what is the cause and effect of the situation.

A sort of stand alone episode of Fringe which I'm not sure really moves the serialization plot of the story forward. We do learn some horrific news about Olivia as a child. Also that Peter is pretty resourceful when he needs to be.

After the team discovers it was radiation poisoning that killed everyone at the diner, the team must race against time to discover what and who did this before it happens again. It seems that someone has perfected a cure for this rare and fatal disease which involved irradiating the disease inside the body of the patient. Someone else has figured out that you can use these same people after their treatments as a weapon and the first women was a test run. So Olivia and Peter are racing against time to stop the second women from having the same fate.

Walter comes up with a bonding agent to stop the results from happening and now all they have to do is find the women before it is too late.

Quirky, moody, emotionally charged, and a few interesting pieces of information related to Olivia in this episode. Also Olivia's handlers learn she may not be so easy to handle all the time! Walter continues to be his ole weird self. Blue Cotton Candy? Not the pink! Oh, and don't use the red toothbrush, that one is mine! Thanks for reading...
  • 'The Cure' functions perfectly well as a stand-alone episode with a few innocuous nods to the show's ever-developing mythology.

First and foremost, did anyone else catch the potential South Park homage in this gore-fest of an episode? Oh sure, exploding heads are nothing new but when Walter and co. are working on the remains of poor Patient Zero in the lab, we are subjected to a delightfully gratuitous shot of what is left of her skull… and it looks exactly the same as Matt and Trey's Britney caricature. You know, the one earlier this season when she attempts to blow her head off and then ends up wandering around with just a chin for a face? The shape's identical and everything! You can't tell me that's a coincidence. Nah ah… no way. Squealing fan boy moment aside, 'The Cure' functions perfectly nicely as a stand-alone episode with a few innocuous nods to the show's ever-developing mythology: seeing Massive Dynamic woman again, Peter's pontificating over the significance of The Pattern and so on. It's well written and paced, maintaining the urgency of the overall investigation by punctuating the narrative with a series of enigmas and resolving them hastily, while concurrently returning to the central point of disequilibrium on sufficient occasions to reiterate the gravitas of the overall situation. As usual, the pre-credits sequence is a corker; the execution of the 'micro waving' (for want of a less absurd description) is shockingly graphic and considerably disturbing, further lending credence to the notion that Fringe could give its idolised predecessor The X Files a run for its money in introductory shock value. The only real points of contention lie in the continued overuse of 'characterial sympathy'; yet again, the show's writers are determined to draw Olivia's personal history into the story and, unfortunately, it doesn't really work here. Her stepfather abused her mother, so she feels an affinity for the women who have been abducted and are being experimented upon? Well… if Fringe hadn't already thrown this sort of plot point at us with each preceding episode, perhaps I would've let it go. But the highly tenuous nature of the link betrays the writers' desperation: they're looking for issues to graft onto the plot, rather than allowing them to rise naturally out of it. I dunno… perhaps I'm just being a bit of an emotional buzz kill. I'm sure a large proportion of viewers love this sort of stuff and normally, yeah, I'd probably side with them. But this doesn't feel like narrative and character holding hands and waltzing off happily into the distance; this feels like they're being chained together in a darkened room and force fed whiny platitudes for all eternity. Guys, it wouldn't hurt, you know, to just give us a week where the emotional investment is kept to a minimum. Just a thought.
  • Another solid stand-alone episode

Much like the previous episode, this installment is mostly stand-alone, with very specific connections to the larger mythology. In essence, the hunt for Claire Williams and a cure for her artificially-induced medical situation is a means to an end. The notion that Massive Dynamic is more than happy to take advantage of situations brought about by those exploiting The Pattern is reinforced and expanded.

What seems most interesting about this situation is how Massive Dynamic uses the need for a solution to these deadly problems as a bargaining chip. I assume this is not lost on anyone involved in Broyles' team, and certainly not on Olivia or Peter. Peter is essentially blackmailed into giving nina Sharp a blank check for a future favor, and that's even after Massive Dynamic stood to gain considerable profit from Olivia's success. That's more than a little disconcerting.

For me, this once again fits into the more comprehensive meaning of the name of the series. Massive Dynamic has a great reputation as one of the most innovative and powerful companies in the world, but it also capitalizes on the fringe science that Bishop and Bell worked on decades earlier. This is the same work that appears to have prompted the excesses and depredations of The Pattern. So the question becomes: does Massive Dynamic even try to avoid the ethically challenged aspects of their chosen areas of fringe research?

If Massive Dynamic has the resources to attend to their own success, then they have the resources to see to the protection of their interests. They use Broyles' team as a kind of smokescreen to look into aspects of The Pattern that they want to explore, offering assistance as a ploy. That means Peter may find that favor to be hard to fulfill, as it will almost certainly involve something even he would find distasteful.

The past couple of episodes would appear to fit into the kind of scheme the producers are going for: a more episodic format connected by a consistent continuity of background. Some of the pitfalls of "Alias" are being avoided, but the producers and writers should be careful not to stray too far into "X-Files" territory. If the "X-Files" had one weakness, it was the enormous disconnect between the stand-alone and mythology-laden episodes. So far, "Fringe" is getting the job done.
  • Review

The dad complex. Present in every single JJ Abrams show, it makes an apperence in this show as well. This was actually my favorite part of the episode because it was very dark, but it did so under the rader. Look at all of the terrible things that everyone is having to deal with and after it all its the Dad that is the biggest fear and the mystery. The individual case was interesting, it wasnt the most exciting case in the world but it seemed to hold my interest for the most part. I liked Jackson's characters meeting with Nina Sharp of Massive Dynamic. Nina saying that she and Walter used to be close makes me think there might be something more hiding under that. Overall, it was an enjoyable episode of the show but in the grand scheme of things I think it would have to rank in the lower tier.
  • Interesting enough case but LOVE Walter.

The pattern this week is the ability to essentially microwave people through radiation capsules. These wacked out sciencists attempting to turn people into weapons. We learned some things about Olivia this week. I loved the scene with Peter and Nina Sharp. I think this deal may come back to haunt Peter. I loved Olivia's final scene with Esterbrook. She showed she knew exactly how to get him where it hurts. I just want to say that Walter is fast becoming one of my most favorite characters. He a nutty genius and a hysterical one. I look forward to his next inspiration of genius.
  • This show has a lot going for it.

This show has a lot going for it. It has a compelling premise, strong, likable characters and great writing. Even though it has all of those elements it seem like, each episode falls just short of exiting enough.

That was still true for this episode, but at least it is heading in the right direction. This episode was a little more exiting than what the show usually is and there is a pretty intense scene toward the end. I was surprised to find myself on the edge of my seat for a few moments.

There is a great scene with Nina Sharp and Peter which, adds more mystery and intrigue to both characters. While I'm on that subject we also get some character development with Olivia and her past. It explains a lot about her character and what kind of person it made her.
  • Not the best Fringe ever.

Fringe is one of the top dramas on television, but they proved that they are not invulnerable to the "bad episode" tonight. The story, the premise was still exciting, but the way it played out wasn't. There was a lack of action, there was a dinner party and there was very little Walter Bishop comedy. Agent Broyles was great as usual, but they do not utilize him to his full potential. He was outstanding in the pilot and needs to incorporate more "dickish" behavior to give this show another element. Olivia's speech about her stepfather was strong, and it seems like every week we get a superb monologue from one of the main characters. That we can rely on in every show, but unfortunately a compelling mystery we cannot.