Fringe

The Day We Died

Aired Friday 9:00 PM May 06, 2011 on FOX

• The Day We Died

When you see the promo for "The Day We Died" immediately thought of that one episode would be little. That would be scarce, only 40 minutes to explore a new world. What would need to emulate the double end of last year to really come out satisfied. I thought, and I thought wrong.

The end of the third season of "Fringe" has the exact duration. Neither more nor less. It was shot in the bullseye, not just in minutes but in the way they were counted. What could have been a confusing foray into the future with the entire cast present, and parts that make no sense, turned out to be a practical and incisive trip: Peter (Joshua Jackson), at that decisive moment, chose to destroy the other universe and save our. On the other hand, only Walernate (John Noble) managed to escape here and now, 15 years later, supporting a terrorist group, "End of Days," which tries at all costs to destroy what's left of us. Yes, because with the destruction of our other world was left with irreversible scarring and dying slowly. That is, one can not live without each other.

The decision to remove a wrong side of the coin fell to Walter, which is arrested. Your child will be looking for you, for help. It was a fantastic tribute to the first episode of the series was "Fringe" to "Fringe" to return to their roots and give us the layout we love so much. Different but the usual. Olivia (Anna Torv) was there, continues with Peter, and seek to raise a family, having your first child. His niece, Ella (Emily Meade) is now part of the division and was an interesting addition to the cast.

We see everything clearly, well told. The option not to complicate the romance between the protagonists and the choice was wise to keep Peter with his awareness of the moment was also a winner. We did not want more novels or a protagonist who tries to understand the action throughout what is happening. And what happened was bad. The future says goodbye with a death and the certainty that the end was very near.

So we came here to stop but how? That transition was that the end of this 21 to 22? Well, and here is what is really the trump card of this episode: time travel, of course. Walter arranges way to transfer the consciousness of the future for Peter Peter this, that he make another choice (Desmond, are you? '). Further, the First People, who built the machine, who hid in various parts, who drew the cartoons, they are the protagonists. When ever we thought it would come from the past and that those drawings were prophecies, were seeing the wrong side. It is a solid explanation, interesting and exciting that I caught completely by surprise.

Thus, Peter chooses another path: to create a bridge between two worlds so that they can resolve their differences face to face. Great moment in which one twin to face, they look in their eyes, hearing the words of peace that has always been the key to everything. This was the conclusion of an incredible story line, a fantastic season, a war that has already made history in science fiction television.

But hopefully as the series does not end here, the surprise was saved for last the last minute: Peter disappears ahead of all, vanishes from their lives and memories, it's like it never existed. Has fulfilled its role, ensures an observer. And this conclusion was perhaps part of the episode I liked least. Yes, it's one of those cliffhangers to keep our mouths water, anxious and confused, but the point is that I see no way to connect to other events. There is a small one tiniest clue why build logical, something that is interconnected and complete reasoning. We will have to wait and see what holds the fourth season.

The Best: The most inventive and bold end of the entire series.

The worst: The confusing cliffhanger ending.
  • That awkward moment when Fringe is better than Lost.

OK, I don't really want to compare the two. But where Lost failed (and Alias for that matter) was the lack of consistency. Yes, the mysteries were mindfu**ing, but the final result (except the exceptional finale and few great standalone episodes) was an epic fail of a final season. It was just a whole bunch of irrelevant "A to B to C, than back to A and Smokey Locke" stories. Where Lost had me doubting they would pull everything off during seasons 1-5, Fringe left me with a strong sense and belief the writers and the whole team know what the endgame is. The Day We Died was an outstanding finale. Along with 6:02 AM EST and The Last Sam Weiss, Fringe gave us a three-part rollecoaster ride with each part having its unique theme. This final ride had us realise we were led to believe the future of the show lies in the War of the Worlds. And how wrong we were. Scenes from the future were dazzling. The relationships between our characters, their evolution and their lives - it was credible. Very much. I am still not clear on the whole First People revelation and sending the Machine through time concept. But I will probably be rewatching all the seasons soon, and I am sure all pieces will fall into the right puzzle. And the end? Oh the end. What seemed just like an epic scene of two worlds in one room was just an overture to probably the biggest cliffhanger ever (yes Lost, yes Alias). When Peter vanished I was like "Okay, so we have a reset/deletion/something". But when the Observers showed up with the whole "never existed" talk - that was when my jaw dropped in amazement. What's next? I won't even try to guess. Nobody could have guessed Peter never existing, so I'll let the show continue impress me when it does so well.

Fingers crossed Fringe won't go Lost/Alias and lose itself in its mythology and hunger to shock, and not contribute to the story.
  • I think they could have done with just 21 episodes this season

if Sam Weiss really knew as much as Nina said he did, then why didn't he just tell Olivia to turn off the machine and LEAVE it off.
  • Forward in time...and backwards goes my brain in comprehension. (This review contain spoilers.)

Before even viewing this episode, the title is pretty foreboding. In a recap from the previous episode, "The Last Sam Weiss", Peter enters the Machine and is transported 15 years into the future (2026). This episode continues from that cliffhanger and we get to explore this new eyesight of our universe, with our aging characters and world that is falling apart.
    Walter is back in custody, behind bars because he was the one who caused the destruction. Olivia and Peter are married, Ella is now a Fringe agent, something odd has happened to Broyles eye, and Gene the Cow is in moo-heaven. Oh, did I mention that they now have canned steak?
    But in all seriousness, this was a dark hour of Fringe television, as well as an emotional one. It almost felt like the pilot again, with Walter being reunited with Olivia and Peter , and getting used to the outside world after spending years in a cell. I can only think that these tie-backs were intentional.
    Seeing the Fringe future was an enjoyable one, at least for me. But everything was turned into a "what-the-hell" moment when the cliffhanger moment was revealed. Peter never existed? Wow. I really need to know how the writers are going to explain that. But it does make sense. Future Peter had said himself that by doing this, there would be major consequences...repercussions. But - I doubt he knew that this "consequence" would be erasing him from history. Final word on the episode: dark but enthralling, leaving us with a major brain-buster to leave us scratching our heads while we wait for Season Four.
  • Great Series

What an awesome show, Peter going into the future and how he and Olivia are like is incredible. What happens when Peter shows his world over the others, how both sides can't win. How Walternate went on a revenge rampage to end Peters world. Peter came back to his time and this time brought Walternate and others to his world to talk peace and make them understand that no side can win. But, before he can explain more he simple vanishes and all the observers gathered by the statue of liberty saying that they don't remember Peter at all and he served his purpose. Story flows well into the next season and also gives answers to the whole season 3 without being to overwhelm by it all. Great writing and entertaining to watch, I'll look forward to seeing season 4 and I'm lucky the show was renewed for a full 4th season Fringe is not done telling a terrific story.
  • A worthy finale to a great season!

To start with, this episode might not have been the best in this season, but given the outstanding standard of the episodes of season 3 that doesn't say too much, so it's still a perfect 10 for me (while other episodes would have gone beyond that if I had had the possibility to score them higher). So don't get me wrong, it still was great in spheres most other shows don't even get close to.

What a great idea to show us the horrible outcome of Peter's going through with his plans to stop the machine. After "Fringe" had built a lot of sympathies for the people in the AlterUniverse it was horrible to imagine that they had all died and were gone except for Walternate, blaming Peter for the destruction of his world and being on a revenge spree at our Universe now. Poor Walter, being locked away like that for what had happened. I admit, that he wasn't innocent when it comes to how things turned out in this version of events and that in the end of the day he had been the source of the terrible developments. On the other hand he couldn't have foreseen exactly what were going to happen if our side tempered with the machine as well. Other than Peter, Olivia and Bolivia, with his narrow pattern of thinking in the matter he had never believed that there might be a possibility to save both worlds though (neither had Walternate) and maybe that's where his real guilt lies. It was beautiful to see how Peter would be loyal to him, calling him "Dad" (while he called Walternate a cold "father", it seems as if he's made his choice about where his feelings as a son lie) for the second time ever on the show (as an adult at least). As for the very ending: what a great development to have the protagonists from both worlds coming together to sort out what solution could save both their universes. I won't even try to contemplate though what the past and future absence of Peter would change, because my head isn't ready for it and I'm happy that there are talented writers to deal with this kind of challenge for us and I'm pretty sure, that we haven't seen the last of Peter, who IMHO is a vital part of the show and without whom things wouldn't work in the brilliant way they have up till now.
  • Mind blowing episode which sets up nicely for the Season 4

This episode is a culmination of a great season 3. It builds up nicely for the new season 4.

I really like the way they showed the future or the presumable future or the parallel future, I don't know how to call it. It gave us so many answers again but so many questions rose as well.

Peter Bishop never existed ending was really mind blowing and I can't wait to see the start of the new season 4.

• Could this be a hint of The Dark City? or a very slight hint of the world of the Matrix? where people are being controlled by a...

secret, powerful organization in which the members could be the Observers. There are essentially two big main characters that revolve around the show. I believe it's Peter and the Observers. There are much more bigger theories on Olivia's character but after the finale we could put that on the side for now. This show is simply beautiful and J.J. Abrams still amazes me with his creativity and artistic mind.

It seemed that people revolved around Olivia but actually it might seem that people revolved around Peter. Now that it was explained that he did not exist, it seemed that he was kind of the water or sugar to their emotions. That explains why people seemed to be very emotional around him, like Walter and Olivia. But still, it doesn't really explain the phenomenon well.
    I get a slight hint from the epic finale that the observers control everything about both worlds and that they serve a higher organization. Like their holding both worlds, controlling it on their hands like a snowball. This reminds me of The Dark City.

I believe that the observers are gonna have a much more prominent role next season. We know that peter might not come back but I seriously believe that there's something that's gonna trigger an unbalance to the balance world in which the Observers try to maintain. It could be an inbalance of emotions that could happen on Walter and Olivia because obviously Peter changed their lives. Ofcourse, he is gonna leave something significant behind. It could not be in their minds but maybe something that could make him come back. Peter and the observers: two important/essential characters that intrigues me.

The finale truly gives a chance for more imaginations, theories and what-nots.
  • The Day We Died

The Day We Died was a great episode and very interesting season finale of Fringe. I enjoyed watching this episode because there was action, intrigue, and it took place in the future which was really cool. I really liked Astrids new look. It was neat to see how our universe became similar to the other side as the Fringe Division was working around the clcok sealing rifts with amber. I enjoyed the last few scenes where Peter came out of the machine and was explaining every thing he learned. The ending was truly a surprise and I didn't see that coming! I look forward to the next season of Fringe!!!!!!!
  • Days of Future Fringe ...

There was sure a lot packed in the episode. The writers have created a whole new world, which was as thrilling to watch as the Other Side was when it was first introduced. And it's complete with one more version of our beloved characters ( after the "red" ones, and the "Brown Betty" Noir ones ), with more confident Olivia and Astrid, a slightly more damaged Walter, and a bitter Ella - her comment about "no happy endings", when you compare it to "Brown Betty"'s ending, is quite painful. What was very well done is that the script doesn't waste time with exposition : for instance, we don't know what the Detroit incident was, but it works better as a tease, and the pieces of information we've got come quite naturally, which is no small feat in such a story. Instead, the scenes focuse on the emotional side : Olivia's reluctance to have a child in such a damaged world, Walternate's anger and desperation ( for the first time, I felt really sorry for the guy ! )... these are good scenes, and they are well served by Giacchino's score, which has never been closer to his work on Lost ( and I mean that as a big compliment ).
    As for the ending ... The reveal of the identity of the First People needs to be expanded upon, and I'm not sure I like the idea that the Observers considered Peter as a tool for a purpose, but I'm quite sure people will soon start to remember him anyway, and that the writers will find a way to bring him back. On the plus side, I'm really thrilled at the prospect of a culture shock when people from both universes will start to meet, and I especially can't wait to see Walter and Walternate work together ... I've waited for these two to come face to face for soooooo long ! Now, let's find some time vortex to season 4 !
  • So happy that we get to see what happens next! --SPOILERS--

The writers have pulled out all the stops here. We were left with questions about where Peter WAS and WHEN he was. We are not immediately served with an answer, but we soon figure out what is going on. We are in the future... 15 years. Peter is getting grey, Olivia looks just a hint older. They did a really good job in taking a look at their future life with the various technologies as well. Walter was sent to jail and let out to work in the lab again. Broyles is now a senator, etc.

Meanwhile, Walternate has managed to survive his world collapsing (how? we don't know) but he's traveled over to this side and started wreaking havoc. We lost characters, most notably Faux-livia's son. Walternate not happy. So he bombs things, etc. Everything was done well... the showdown between Peter and Walternate was thrilling and the following sequence was startling.

And hence, saving both worlds in 2011 appears to become a major arc of the 4th season. But then we go back to 2011 where the team is watching Peter in the machine. And Peter was living the experience of 2026 in a mere 60 seconds. Using what he now knows, he saves the destruction of the two universes, putting holes in both and now leaving both at risk of destruction. But in saving the two, we learn that Peter may no longer exist - as the observers seem to think - he has served his purpose. A startling way to end the season that ties up this LONG 1.5 season arc, yet positions the show to deal with a newer more refined arc. Extremely well done and I can't wait for the show to return.
  • I'm glad that even hardcore fans were absolutely confused by the season finale. This kind of mystery is rare on television and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this episode.

I'm not a big fan of alternate universes, they are often only used as outlets for letting all kinds of crazy stuff happen as a decoy of actual story pushing events and are usually forgotten by the next episode. You don't have to watch Fringe to know that alternate universes play a huge part in the show, which is one reason why I always stayed clear of the little show that Fox doesn't want to get rid of. What I didn't know is that Fringe uses the alternate universe in a such an integral way that it does have meaning and consequences. Huge ones. The season finale played in the future. A scenario that was doomed to show cool stuff only to be used as a warning. Of course, the main character had to die before those capable found a way to undo it all. Nothing new there. The better part of the episode was boring because of that. It were the final two scenes that left me hanging.
    What on earth happened to Peter? How will these two universes live aside each other? Who were those men outside the Statue Of Liberty (so far, I know they are recurring characters on the show, but as a new viewer, they feel like The Others) and what is going to happen next?
    A nicely done episode that offered some interesting scenes, but was flawed by spending the too much time on a future that wasn't going to happen. Still, the way it was waved into the actual story has me gunning for next season.

I could go on and on about the comparisons this show has with Lost, but never were they more prevalent here tonight. From the time jump, to the music that was playing, to the solemn nature of the whole ordeal, JJ Abrams definitely proved that he missed his old show.

But this episode also gave us an idea of what is going to happen in what I expect will be the show's final season and it is not what I hoped for as it is going to be more of the worlds colliding (somewhere George Costanza is going off the deep end.)

Nothing to write home about in this finale, but if you look at it overall, it served its purpose. It wrapped some stuff up, but more importantly opened the door for more next year. And please, Season 4 better give us more of The Observer.
  • Warning for the weak of mind: This is one Mind-blowing season finale!

In what it's perhaps the most perfect finale of the 2010-2011 TV season, Fringe contructs and de-constructs every element of its mythology, in perfect jigsaw style using the very continuity built since the show began.

We begin right in the middle of an Apocalypse, the most fitting consequence of the very Cloak and dagger war that destroys both Universes, one at the time. Walternate's plot to avenge the Red Universe is only matched by Walter's despair trying to save the Blue one, both sides masterfully played by John Noble's performance. In trying to solve the case, Fringe Division revisits some key moments of their existance like Peter & Walter's first meeting in a mental home, the impending end of days due to the warmholes introduced by this season and the Observers monitoring the different brands of insanity that Walter and Walternate represent.

However, neither the 47 year old Peter - as in love with Olivia as he's proud of "their" niece (the rookie that Ella grew up to be) - nor Senator Broyles nor the Dunham agents themselves could forseen what's coming as grimly fortold by Walter himself: What if the machine was simply a device built by Dr. Bishop, as warning, sent back in time to be used by a son that wasn't mean to be? The answer to that question reveals itself once that Peter does go back to 2011, delivers their warning and then ceases to exist.

Both Universes have been saved by a man that, according to the Observers, no one remembers ever existed.
  • Two worlds collide in the series finale of Fringe and two worlds clash changing the dynamic of the show massively.

One of the reason's Fringe is one of my favourite shows is because when I think I may have it kinda figured out it goes in a direction I couldn't have thought have and the show gets better. This is the case with The Day We Died. At the end of last week's episode we jumped forward into the future revealing a slightly aged Peter and a world falling apart, this time we got to see more of that world and an explanation of how it got that way. Initially it is clear we're in our universe and not the alternate one and one in which the machine was used to destroy the other side. Walter has been locked up at some point after the machine was used but released when Peter and Olivia need his help.

There's no need to recap everything that's revealed but there is so much densely packed info that it's hard to take in on a first viewing. It seems like Walter is the most hated man in the universe for destoying, Walternate crossed over before his universe is destroyed and is seeking revenge and that Walter was actually the one who created the doomsday device and it's suggested that it is he and some other member of the Fringe team that are the 'First People'. Whew. And that's even before the ending.

All these revelations are hard to digest but once they've made their way into your televisual lower intestine you realise how much potential the show has for the future and how many mysteries it has yet to answer (like who are the observers if they aren't the first people). There are many exciting ways in which these could be solved, I particularly want to see Walter travelling back in time through a worm hole, and it looks like season 4 will be to season 3 what season 3 was to season 1.

The ending is complicated, Peter bridges the gap between the two worlds with the machine after changing his destiny after his past self sees what happens in the future but disappears (forever?) after apparently fulfilling his use, according to the observers. Even if Peter is gone in the present it now seems like there will be episodes set in the future, rather than episodes set on the other side which is now destroyed.

It's tempting to draw comparisons to Lost at this point, with three different realities all relevant to the story telling though how this is going to fold out is as difficult to tell as when we were first introduced to the alternate reality in the last season of JJ Abrams other show. However though there are similarities Fringe is clearly doing it's own thing and I'm excited to see what the next season has in store.

Overall this episode was different to what I expecting, in a very good way, offereing more questions then it answered but it has left my mind whirring more than any episode of Fringe I can remember.
  • The Day We Died...

Anyone that knows anything about television knows that cliffhangers, plot twists and outright insanity can make for some of the most entertaining viewing that you will ever come across. Fringe is one of those shows that takes all three and slams them together in an amalgamation that is quite simply so fantastic, it may make you weep. "The Day We Died" wasn't what I expected of a finale. In fact, I couldn't have envisioned the outcome in my wildest interpretations of the direction that the show was headed in, but you know what? That's why it was so good.

After jumping into the future at the end of the last episode, Peter wakes up in hospital, momentarily unsure of his surroundings before we begin to get a clearer sense of things. Essentially, we are completely in the future. Peter's consciousness hasn't simply transferred, the time passed has simply elapsed off screen (kind of). Olivia is the director of Fringe division and has a firm control of her telekinesis, she and Peter are married and Ella, Olivia's niece, is a member of Fringe too. In the time gap, Peter entered the machine, just as we saw him do, and the consequence was the destruction of the alt-verse. Seemingly everyone other than Walternate - who had crossed over to our universe in an attempt to save his own - from that side, ceases to exist.

As a further consequence of the destruction, our universe is decaying at a great rate too. The universes are linked in such a way that if one is destroyed, both will ultimately fall. Now branded the destructor of mankind, Walter is in prison for bringing the end of days, a concept which amazingly is welcomed by some. A group of terrorists is acting with an unknown technology to intensify the effect of the universe tearing apart so that everyone reaches their demise sooner. When unable to figure out how they are achieving it, Peter goes to visit his imprisoned father and with the help of now Senator Broyles, gets him temporarily released to help solve the case.

When Walter figures out a way for Fringe to track the technology being used in the attacks, Olivia takes a team, including Peter, to one of the supposed locations. When a junior agent hands Peter the only thing that they find at the scene - a small box with a key in it - hey hides it from Olivia and heads off by himself as the rest of the team gears up to attend another Fringe event. The key leads Peter to an old abandoned house near Reiden Lake - the place where it all began - and when he enters he is confronted by Walternate. Now understanding that he is the one behind the terrorist plot, Peter and his father converse about the day that he destroyed their universe and Walternate's plan for revenge. When Walternate threatens Peter's family he reaches out to grab his father, realizing that it is only a hologram as we see the real man is actually back at the Fringe site. Emotionless, Walternate then walks up to Olivia and shoots her in the head.

After Olivia's funeral, Walter is being taken back to detention when his car is held up by traffic around a wormhole site. Recalling an earlier conversation that he had with Peter about wormholes and time travel, Walter then adds the most confusingly awesome element to the episode and possibly the entire series so far. Walter believes that the machine, found in pieces all over the globe, having been buried millions of years before, is actually not as ancient as they had initially believed. He posits that he, because of the moment that he is currently experiencing, sent the machine back in time so that they could do it all over again, and again, and again and...you get the idea. He then suggests that because of a paradox he cannot simply alter what has already happened, but rather that Peter can make a different choice within what happened. That in the machine, Walter would bring Peter's consciousness into the future so that he could see the consequences of his original decision to save one universe over the other, making him change his mind.

Cut back to that present/past/future moment that our original timeline was in, in which Peter was in the machine at the end of "The Last Sam Weiss" and the game is well and truly changed. This time, with the knowledge of the true consequences of his decision, Peter chooses to bring the two universes together. Tearing holes in both of them, in that room on Liberty Island, Peter brings Walternate, Alt-livia and their scientists to our Fringe team in this universe whilst simultaneously bringing our Fringe team to them. Then as Peter begins to explain his plan to fix the damage caused by the cross universe war, he disappears. Seemingly unaffected by Peter's disappearance, Olivia then states Peter's intention to correct their past mistakes as if he were never even there. The final scene then depicts all of The Observers standing just outside of the statue of liberty as The Observer suggests that the reason no one was shocked that Peter disappeared is that he didn't, instead, he simply never existed. He paradoxed (made up word) himself out of existence.

What any of this means for Fringe I can barely comprehend. The timeline of the show doesn't exist at all. The past is the future, the future is the past and at all moments in time our characters have always possessed the ability to simply change time as they see fit, they just didn't know it. As for Peter's disappearance I have literally no idea. In this timeline Peter cannot exist as it stands, but he could also just go back/forward and change that now knowing that that is the consequence of his action. I assume that Joshua Jackson is returning for the fourth season of the show as it would be a very odd decision to simply eliminate one of your main characters so undramatically, but I don't know at all how they're going to bring him back. Thirty five minutes of this episode was just a nice glimpse at that future that we had always been told was coming, but the last five were the heart of "The Day We Died". It was an unbelievable risk to take for the writers, especially given that this was apparently going to be the finale regardless of whether the show was cancelled or not, but in my opinion it was a perfect one. They're going to have to back it up with some seriously complex story lines in season four, but if they do, as I suspect they will, this will have all been worth it.
  • "No matter who is at fault, you are my dad." This line is it. Nothing else comes close. Fringe has now surpassed even Lost in my eyes as probably the greatest science fiction show on television.

It hard to describe how I felt about this episode without digressing into musings of what could be or might have been, so I might end up doing that. But Fringe has once again given an idea of what to expect, then turned it upside down in the most interesting, entertaining and fantastic way.

Reading the forums there are a number of people who do not understand what happened in the episode or have interpreted it as a vision (apart from the ending, which obviously cannot be explained without further episodes). Peter was indeed in the future where he had activated the machine and consequently destroyed the alternate universe. Walter devised a way to move his consciousness to the past and fix things by changing that very moment. The writers even put a tongue in cheek joke into the episode when Peter said "I didn't say I didn't have my bell rung." What happened the last time we saw a bell rung on Fringe? Very nice. This episode really got to me. There are often heartfelt moments but when Peter said to Walter "No matter who is at fault, you are my dad." That choked me up. It was such a phenomenal moment to slip in almost unnoticed and it was for me a defining moment in the series where it became the best show on tv. Joshua Jackson then went further and his portrayal of Peter's pain at Olivia's funeral and subsequently, was just gut wrenching. The glimpses of the future reveal so many possibilities for our characters. It is hard to believe that Walternate, who we once thought of as most sinister and evil, was actually just doing what he thought was necessary. But once all hope was lost he turned his genius into a weapon of pure evil with horrific consequences. Punishing Peter psychologically and the world physically for revenge.

The ending was possibly the best cliffhanger this season, coming close to Breaking Bad's season 3 ending OMG! Not even because of the WTF of it all but due to the ramifications. What will happen with two Olivias and two Walters in play? (Personally I cannot wait for the even more awesome meeting of EVIL Brandon and harmless Brandon.) Will the baby still exist? How will they explain their current situation considering Peter's absence? Does the machine now exist in a pocket between worlds? What is the agenda of the Observers? What happened/will happen/might happen in Detroit? If Peter has been erased from existence how will he come back? CRAZY THEORY: Peter will become an Observer. I know it won't happen!

I'm going be on the edge of my seat until September. Thank goodness Game of Thrones will entertain me most of the way.
  • Most were expecting something exceptional and that's exactly what has been delivered

At the end of the last episode before the finale many questions were wandering through my mind, and i kept pondering extensively the whole week if they were finally going to answer some of those questions because of the matter of waiting for four long months for the next season to return and I couldn't think of a more dreadful way of torturing my mind if it were so. However, fortunately, some were actually answered to us. The biggest revelation and as i am also certain it was an equal shock for most of the other fans is that Walter was the one who created the Doomsday device. We were lead to believe that the first people created it and these people, who are technology advanced, existed before there were the dinosaurs. The thought of the observers being the first people was even circulating through my mind. But we simply couldn't be so far away from the truth. Walter was the creator of that such machine. The machine functions as a way to bring peter's conscious back to the past from the future so he could right the terrible things that were to happen.

So this episode was set mainly from the future, in 2026 to be exact. The fringe division grew larger, and Olivia's niece even joined the team. Broyles was senator, Olivia the chief in command, Peter stays in the science department but seems to have also become a field agent, Astrid is also a field agent and Walter surprisingly is in jail. I always wondered why Walter wasn't sent to jail or at least discussed that matter considering all the disasters he has caused. I guess they have finally caught up to my chain of thought. Walter acting was brilliantly done. I'm glad he's still recognized as the most brilliant scientist and kept his beautiful charm. The ends of Dayers (Soldiers from the other universe) were bad-ass as group. I knew the moment Peter jumped into the machine the other world was going to be destroyed. It was nice to see that Walternate survived that dreadful moment. His hatred for his son was exceptionally strong and he wouldn't have minded to kill him had he had the chance. As i expected, the season ended on a cliffhanger but one that wasn't of my slightest imagination because it is extremely huge. The ending emphasized on one question we always been wondering since the first season: Who are the observers? It is quite clear now that they do more than observe. I think they're relining the time-line to their own agenda. Peter disappeared out of existence at the end and there's absolutely no visible answer to that but it does point out that the observers had a hand to it which then raises another question: how did they do it with the time-line holding presently as it is? So as we've received some answers, there were more questions that were added to the season's conclusion. It was an exceptional episode and I cannot wait to see what the series has in store for next season.

Thank you JJ Abrams.
  • Generally, this episode reminds me of my favorate Star Trek Then Next Generation's finale, All Good Things episode! It deals with the past, present and future, setting things right, or following the path of vengence and retribution/punishment; bandaids f

Watch the episode, why read a review and spoil the experience.

Speaking of which! There was a commercial to decide the fate of the universes which you had no idea was even involved in this episode!!!! It spoiled it a little for me! It's a topic that had been dragged out all season, not mentioned specifically by the time the commercial aired, and now I knew it would be addressed or come to a head in this episode, so you knew it was coming, ruining the 'surprise' which usually comes to you. Still, it'll keep you guessing and w/o a clue what's around the corner. Great writing. Now I'm gonna rewatch All Good Things again! This too after I sleep on it.
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Daredevil and X-Filesean finale 3rd part

With all the conspiracy theories still surrounding 9/11 and the upcoming memorial I can't imagine how the American audience felt at the end of The Last Sam Weiss. Peter Bishop going all John Connor on us for a few split seconds was just mindshaking and my brain was suddenly connecting the electrifying productions we enjoyed in the past decades, from Back to the Future to Lost. In fact when it comes to time travel the last is definitely one of the strongest reference these days considering how its last seasons were astonishing. I mean episodes like The Constant practically redefined the way I thought about science fiction. That's why I couldn't help linking this 22th episode to Lost's season 6 16th one, What They Died For. The Day We Died was in the same vein, a cookie jar full of all the elements that made Fringe's season 3 so stellar. But the difference with Lost is that it was actually a finale, an excellent one and respectful of all the hope its audience had in it. My only complain would be about Emily Meade guest starring as Ella. She seemed misplaced and to tell the truth the self proclaimed dumb than dumber being I am didn't really get who she was. Moreover of course she was pretty as hell but far too young to play in the same league as Olivia & Peter. I understand that their intention was to introduce a new character who will probably be featured in season 4 but the story didn't need her. All I wanted was a raw wormholy versus ! Don't get me wrong it happened. Oh yes it happened ! From the wicked orange amber to futuristic devices it had it all, and more. The one thing that should dazzle you the most is the cautious, intriguing and twisted writing. It's simplex the story was filled with jaw dropping events and its ending should put your eyeballs in orbit around your head. Be prepared for everything ! You've been warned. After The X-Files and other cult shows I never thought I would be so excited about an upcoming season but the fourth is coming and its 22 episodes could make us tremble even more. The day they died should be the one you never felt so much alive !
  • Not perfect, perhaps, but there was a lot right with this finale. SPOILERS ahead!

So how far into the "Days of Future Past" storyline before you acknowledged that next season wasn't going to be set in it and we would bounce back to the present at some point? Of course everybody got it when Olivia was unceremoniously shot in the head and given a rather weird viking funeral, but to me it was way earlier, when Olivia comes out of the closet as a Jean Grey figure. So yeah, after that I found myself tapping my foot, impatiently waiting for that timeline to resolve so that we could see what was really going to happen. No amount of playing around with the universe they've created (and some of the concepts there were awesome) could make me ignore that this was all a waste of footage and we still needed to get to the point and resolve the universe clash.

The good news is that the ultimate resolution was pretty cool. I always embrace Fringe the most when they go proper high sci-fi. The machine is trapped on a time loop of Walter's design? Oh, yeah. There is now a cross-universe crisis room in which both Fringe units can cooperate to mend reality? Yeah, I'll watch a season of that, alright. The Observers gather to watch this and casually remark that Peter has been deleted from existance? Sure, I'll acknowledge that the Observer subplot still remains and take that as a cliffhanger to wait for season 4.

So don't get me wrong, I'm still on board here. I actually liked the episode a lot. The pacing of it was off for a little bit, which justifies my score, but the acting, the concepts and the ultimate situation they've set up for next season all work very well. I know this place works as a fansite and perfect reviews are given away like candy, but I think this is the highest praise you can give Fringe: a nod of the head, a "well done, sir" and a passing acknowledgement that we'll meet again next year before turning around and walking away.

So see you next year!