Fringe

The Day We Died

Aired Friday 9:00 PM May 06, 2011 on FOX

• Forward in time...and backwards goes my brain in comprehension. (This review contain spoilers.)

Before even viewing this episode, the title is pretty foreboding. In a recap from the previous episode, "The Last Sam Weiss", Peter enters the Machine and is transported 15 years into the future (2026). This episode continues from that cliffhanger and we get to explore this new eyesight of our universe, with our aging characters and world that is falling apart.
    Walter is back in custody, behind bars because he was the one who caused the destruction. Olivia and Peter are married, Ella is now a Fringe agent, something odd has happened to Broyles eye, and Gene the Cow is in moo-heaven. Oh, did I mention that they now have canned steak?
    But in all seriousness, this was a dark hour of Fringe television, as well as an emotional one. It almost felt like the pilot again, with Walter being reunited with Olivia and Peter , and getting used to the outside world after spending years in a cell. I can only think that these tie-backs were intentional.
    Seeing the Fringe future was an enjoyable one, at least for me. But everything was turned into a "what-the-hell" moment when the cliffhanger moment was revealed. Peter never existed? Wow. I really need to know how the writers are going to explain that. But it does make sense. Future Peter had said himself that by doing this, there would be major consequences...repercussions. But - I doubt he knew that this "consequence" would be erasing him from history. Final word on the episode: dark but enthralling, leaving us with a major brain-buster to leave us scratching our heads while we wait for Season Four.