Fringe

The Equation

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 18, 2008 on FOX

• The Equation

The eighth episode of "Fringe" is distinguished from its predecessors (except "The Arrival") by the ease in which we got involved in the case of the week, due to its credibility, and the return of Walter (John Noble) to house that he met during the last decades, which gives us some scenes far more uncomfortable than any head explode. The problem comes to us in the end, when we want to take away and just take in the carpet under his feet.

Like "Fringe" will not exactly to do with whether or not to be skeptical about certain subjects out of common sense. There are many other series that explore alternatives to our realities that somehow managed to sell us the concept enabling us that each scene too farfetched, we did not feel the temptation to roll your eyes or simply turn off the television. Some even managed to become a cult phenomenon and 40 minutes per week not to be missed. "Fringe" seems to adopt the same posture, but in my case, I can not put on your pseudoscience or their revolts and fancy hooks that can result in little more than a twitch of discomfort on the couch.

However, this episode before its end, can carry us to a world we can imagine as ours: we have a sophisticated form of hypnotism (ok, it is accepted), we have a woman who supposedly died in a car accident ten years, but it is alive (instead of the usual ghost a la John Scott, it seems that this time was even a covert death and that the woman was even alive) and have a kid stuck in your imagination (it is much more acceptable than, for example, connecting wires to the brain of a dead person and see what he saw or talk to him or whatever). Only I will not question why is this kid know the formula, it seems that others also knew that somehow, after having been six days in a coma. I will not ask me about it because they simply do not want to know an answer I would bring more than just lack of interest in what happens in this series ...

To save the kid of evildoers, Walter must return to the site where he spent the last decades of his life in captivity. The burden of dramatic scenes set in a psychiatric hospital, and the reflection of terror in the face of Walter back there, they gave the character more sympathetic than ever. He did not want to return to that place, where his life was withdrawn from him, but put the search and the possibility of salvation for a kid, a stranger, above their fears. On top of that, things did not go for the best and Walter almost found himself trapped again, but never lost the sense of what had taken him there and got the same information I wanted. The scenes shared between John Noble and Randall Duk Kim were superb and the difficulties posed by the character of William Sadler created some tension to leave me to wonder if Walter could really turn it up to that setback. Just did not realize the scenes in which he saw himself.

As I did not realize that ending. These outcomes are typical in the series of mystery from JJ Abrams. "Alias" had them. "Lost" has them. But "Fringe" can not catch up to either of the two, much less the second, where these mysterious end result and this can only create further confusion and frustration. Mitchell Loeb (Chance Kelly), the character found in the previous episode, being a double agent, reappears. The woman who kidnapped and tortured the kid gives him the formula. He places an apple inside a machine. Both have a dialogue about the properties of numbers, the kind that would leave a book "Physics for Dummies." Connect with it and takes out his club a few seconds later, able to cross the wall of the chest with his hand. He kills his wife (who knows why ...). Connects to someone to say that it worked and ready ... went away. There was a hook that has piqued my interest to continue to monitor what these people go to engender. On the contrary: just gave me even less inclined to see the show.